What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Many of the queues don't make sense.

2»

Comments

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    > @starswordc said:
    > All of these problems could have been avoided by simply divorcing story rank from character level: story-wise we start as mid-ranked officers, then advance to captain (the canonical "hero rank", barring Sisko beginning his series as an O-5 commander) and stay there.

Would have been interesting if they had done it that way. Maybe work up to Commander to be able to run "Admiralty"....then work the rank more into the story. I know being able to repeat missions would be against that at first glance, but why not look at it as replaying at whatever story rank you were regardless of your game level. You might be level 65 and a Commander, but for that particular mission you'll play as a level 65 Lieutenant.

The ranks are tied to a level, so the requirements are already level based as well as rank.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    [...]
    The fact is, most rebellions fail, and setting up a country is damn difficult. Up until the Republic gets recognized, the overwhelming majority of currently commissioned RIF personnel are going to stick either with Sela's Rator III government or the Tal'Shiar junta, rather than defecting.
    [...]
    Even if just 0.1 % of the RIF's remnants join D'Tan prior to Virinat (and we have evidence that some do, because we meet them at the Flotilla, along with quite a number of ships), there will indeed be thousands of them available for becoming Fleet Admiral.

It doesn't bother me much, willing suspsension of disbelief and all. But it is a bit cheesy nonetheless.
    Also there's the fact that several of the Romulan colony worlds were looking for an option C so hard that one of them tried to join the Federation.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Isn't it implied that while "security guard at a minor colony" is what your character is at start of the romulan storyline but (s)he might have been more then that previously but is laying low now (what is obviously not said as that's left to the player).

Another way to look at it is that your character (be they SF, KDF or RRN) is a kind of publicity stunt for the leaders of their factions.

Notice that you almost never do anything above what CO of a ship would do, in the few fleet engagements you take part in during the story you're almost never in charge of anything but your personal flagship. Even the admirality tasks seem less like something an admiral would do and more like an admiral's senior aid relaying orders. So while your literal rank might be "fleet admiral" your duties seems to be for a captain or at most a rear admiral.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Isn't it implied that while "security guard at a minor colony" is what your character is at start of the romulan storyline but (s)he might have been more then that previously but is laying low now (what is obviously not said as that's left to the player).
    I don't remember any of the origins implying much of anything about the past of the player character, it's all left up to your own imagination. And the romulan origin is the most free of them all, all we know is they're at Virinat in the beginning of the tutorial. You could basically be anyone you want.
    Another way to look at it is that your character (be they SF, KDF or RRN) is a kind of publicity stunt for the leaders of their factions.
    Your character somehow ending up doing pretty much everything important in the galaxy, makes that very much plausible.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    dtrekkie wrote: »
    What I mean buy this is that, in terms of suspension of disbelief, many of the queues don't make sense in-game. Take Hive Onslaught for example. I have completed this queue many many times. That said, in-game, it doesn't really make sense that the USS Houston is destroyed over and over hundreds of times.

That's like popping in the DVDs and saying "Why is Picard being turned into Locutus for the 700th time?" or "Why are they constantly retaking DS9 back from the Dominion?" You're replaying an episode, not participating in a new one every single time.
    Common sense in the 21st unfortunately seems to become more and more like a actual, rarer and rarer superpower.

With more and more Massively Multiplayer Online games being released, you'd think people would realize any mission is only done once story-wise, with rare exceptions.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    What I mean buy this is that, in terms of suspension of disbelief, many of the queues don't make sense in-game. Take Hive Onslaught for example. I have completed this queue many many times. That said, in-game, it doesn't really make sense that the USS Houston is destroyed over and over hundreds of times.

That's like popping in the DVDs and saying "Why is Picard being turned into Locutus for the 700th time?" or "Why are they constantly retaking DS9 back from the Dominion?" You're replaying an episode, not participating in a new one every single time.
    Common sense in the 21st unfortunately seems to become more and more like a actual, rarer and rarer superpower.

With more and more Massively Multiplayer Online games being released, you'd think people would realize any mission is only done once story-wise, with rare exceptions.
    the saying "common sense is many things but common is not among those things" (or words to that affect) predate the year 2000 so it's nothing new.
    warpangel wrote: »
    I don't remember any of the origins implying much of anything about the past of the player character, it's all left up to your own imagination. And the romulan origin is the most free of them all, all we know is they're at Virinat in the beginning of the tutorial. You could basically be anyone you want.
    I'll admit it could be just me mixing what was there and how I like to play my romulan/reman characters (aka as someone who used to something special but now "just wants to be left alone").
    Your character somehow ending up doing pretty much everything important in the galaxy, makes that very much plausible.

Also if you look about our character is rarely actually the one who is ultimately responsible when dealing with missions that need someone above a captain rank.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User

the saying "common sense is many things but common is not among those things" (or words to that affect) predate the year 2000 so it's nothing new.
    My point was it's not new it wasn't common already, but it's still not improving despite the new century. I'd say it's even getting worse faster than before.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I'll admit it could be just me mixing what was there and how I like to play my romulan/reman characters (aka as someone who used to something special but now "just wants to be left alone").

Also if you look about our character is rarely actually the one who is ultimately responsible when dealing with missions that need someone above a captain rank.
    The player character is always taking orders from someone, but ultimately it is always you who has to actually do everything.

The player character is always taking orders from someone, but ultimately it is always you who has to actually do everything.
    That's how it is in militaries though flag ranks rarely if ever get personally involved in the fighting, admirals more then generals granted but if there's no need for more then 1 ship it's not the admiral's flagship that gets sent but rather someone of captain/colonel rank or lower.

Hence why I said our characters aren't actually responsible for any above captain rank mission, I can think only 1 situation where our character took the role of fleet commander instead of a ship CO.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    While it is true that there is no to hardly any background to your characters and you can fill in any headcanon you want - and I applaud for doing so - there is nothing in the story to indicate anything extraordinary pre tutorial. So while we can have explanations for ourselves, it just isn't supported and thus invalid when discussing the writing. Of course the rapid rise up the ranks will easily be explained by us saving the galaxy multiple times - but when we start that habit we most usually are already admirals at least, having had comparatively minor engagements. And within the set universe this isn't really making sense.
    arionisa wrote: »
    And don't make any more than one toon of a given faction, and quit playing the second and third toons as you as you get the Nimbus mission.....
    The part on Nimbus is actually my favourite part of the entire game, I love the map.. The setting, the missions, the sounds and feel of the entire place.
    the only part of nimbus I DON'T love is getting Mk6 loot.

Agreed on both counts.
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Moreover, we are talking about a major interstellar power. Romulus may have been to the Star Empire what Paris is to France, but blow up Paris, and there is still quite some population left. Especially in the military.

Comparisons are always difficult because even if we have a comparable relative size the difference in absolute size is making things difficult. But I would argue that the core systems are more than Paris to France, many colonies are mostly that: colonies, scraping by, maybe even somewhat comfortably, but still dependent on trade with the homeworld (or other more advanced planets). On the other hand, as long as one major system with a couple billion people is more or less unscathed, you still can do a lot more than a country losing their core.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries