test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please Help! My First Officer has literally disappeared!

starfleetsteezystarfleetsteezy Member Posts: 1 Arc User
Newer player here. Just started a Klingon character and as soon as K'Gan (the default first officer) joins me, he just disappears. He does not appear on my roster at all and I cannot see his abilities in combat either. I thought I could get past it by starting a new character but the same thing happened again and again, he just vanishes as soon as he joins. Please help!

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Hmmm... that is odd.

Did you try restarting the program before making another character?
    I am going to check my level 10 characters and make sure K'Gan is still on them. Be back...
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • alexhaydenalexhayden Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    Hello Starfleetsteezy..

I may be wrong about this, but if you click on your 'character status' (top right hand side of your mini map) then when that screen loads click 'stations', it should load up a new screen. At the bottom it should read something like 'you have 1 Bridge Officer candidates - show. Click on 'show' and hopefully you'll see G'Kan sitting there ready and waiting. Click on 'commission' and he'll report for duty... (admittedly I am doing this from memory - might not read quite the way I worded it!) :)
    edited April 2018
    OK... we need to put this in the Bug Report part of the forum.
    Making a new KDF character is screwed up.

I will open a thread over there....unless you want to.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    edited April 2018
    Hey, you didn't happen to do that "Renegade's Regret" mission on ANY OTHER CHARACTER ON YOUR ACCOUNT did you????

@frtoaster please tell me you did NOT do this mission yet.

I need someone who did not do the new FE to do the KDF Tutorial up to where you kill Jurlek and take command. That is when you should get a pop up for K'gan.

In the next segment...you should hear K'gans voice AND see him in the interact window.... not the Orion in the window (using Kgan's voice) which is what it is doing, now. LOL!

I will go check the BOFF candidate roster when I get back on the computer.
    I am, also, going to play my character up to First City....because that is the first time KDF gets to do a real map change outside of the Tutorial.

(Sorry changing bandages....cut on my finger is bleeding, again. LOL!)

Next question...why in the heck am I worried about troubleshooting the KDF tutorial when I am injured?

• anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    I just made a fresh Klingon to test this out. What happened, at least for me, is that K'Gan went straight to the candidate roster (U>Stations>Available Candidates button at the bottom of that window) rather than being commissioned automatically. Every character on this account has run Renegade's Regret 3 times now for the different rewards, not that I think that that's what's causing this issue. Other than that, I only experienced a couple of bugs with the animation of my bat'leth when confronting Captain Jurlek. Those animation errors, like the thing being both in my hands and on my back at the same time, have been around for a while now.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
    I saw: Rifle from the Armor Locker go directly into the weapons slot bumping the Bat'leth. It should go into Inventory. Because the next segment of the Tutorial is: equipping the rifle to your character.

I had to move the rifle from character to the inventory....then back to clear that objective.

Then the K'gan mess. He shouldn't be going into the CANDIDATE SLOT AT ALL. There are 4 empty BOFF slots available. Candidate slots are where the extra BOFFs are supposed to go after active slots are filled. So, that is actually a problem.

Next, when you finally get out into system space to go scan asteroids for Iridium (sp?)....this is the first time one sees the space tray. NONE of the weapons were in the tray. Evasive Maneuvers and Cloak is in slots 1-2.

Positions 1-2-3 should be cannon, torpedo, and turret....the weapons on the BoP. And K'Gan should have his High Yield Torpedo skill in the BOFF abilities window.

All of this before one even gets to First City.

I (and you) know what to do because, been playing for years. This is a tutorial. A new player doesn't know what the space tray is, where "P" list is, they know nothing of how to operate the ship, yet. They should not have to hunt through screens to collect K'Gan....he is supposed to be in his seat.

There needs to be a Bug Report.

My finger is better today, and I can bend it without the cut bleeding...so I will make a detailed Bug Report when I have some time on my hands tomorrow...or add to another one someone else makes.

Actually, lets see if the moderators can move this over to bug reports or not... I don't know....

@badmoonrisin @starswordc @darkbladejk

where2r1 wrote: »
    I saw: Rifle from the Armor Locker go directly into the weapons slot bumping the Bat'leth. It should go into Inventory. Because the next segment of the Tutorial is: equipping the rifle to your character.

I had to move the rifle from character to the inventory....then back to clear that objective.

Then the K'gan mess. He shouldn't be going into the CANDIDATE SLOT AT ALL. There are 4 empty BOFF slots available. Candidate slots are where the extra BOFFs are supposed to go after active slots are filled. So, that is actually a problem.

Next, when you finally get out into system space to go scan asteroids for Iridium (sp?)....this is the first time one sees the space tray. NONE of the weapons were in the tray. Evasive Maneuvers and Cloak is in slots 1-2.

Positions 1-2-3 should be cannon, torpedo, and turret....the weapons on the BoP. And K'Gan should have his High Yield Torpedo skill in the BOFF abilities window.

All of this before one even gets to First City.

I (and you) know what to do because, been playing for years. This is a tutorial. A new player doesn't know what the space tray is, where "P" list is, they know nothing of how to operate the ship, yet. They should not have to hunt through screens to collect K'Gan....he is supposed to be in his seat.

There needs to be a Bug Report.

My finger is better today, and I can bend it without the cut bleeding...so I will make a detailed Bug Report when I have some time on my hands tomorrow...or add to another one someone else makes.

Actually, lets see if the moderators can move this over to bug reports or not... I don't know....

@badmoonrisin @starswordc @darkbladejk

I mentioned that he's supposed to be automatically commissioned. In fact, even when you're full, normal behavior is for the candidate to hail you, telling you that there's no room on your ship (though it's often your small craft) and you have to select Not Now to clear it.

The rifle thing is something that I missed because I have those pop-ups turned off, but I'll take your word for it.

I stopped when I figured out what the problem was with K'Gan, so I didn't get to space, but your weapons and BOff abilities should not be in the trays anymore. Patch notes for thatt here. Not a bug, but a feature.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
    anodynes wrote: »
    I mentioned that he's supposed to be automatically commissioned. In fact, even when you're full, normal behavior is for the candidate to hail you, telling you that there's no room on your ship (though it's often your small craft) and you have to select Not Now to clear it.

The rifle thing is something that I missed because I have those pop-ups turned off, but I'll take your word for it.

I stopped when I figured out what the problem was with K'Gan, so I didn't get to space, but your weapons and BOff abilities should not be in the trays anymore. Patch notes for thatt here. Not a bug, but a feature.

I will run a Tutorial on a Fed and a Rom and see if they adjusted those missions to work the same way....
    If so I will complain about THOSE Tutorials, too.

That was actually my next plan, too. Maybe all BOffs just do this now. It's not a good change, since nobody who is new (the only people who must do the tutorials) would have even the slightest idea where to look for the BOff they just received. The rifle thing is weird, too, and could have consequences down the road if they didn't learn it then, since later weapons definitely don't equip automatically.
    edited April 2018
    Rifle and BOFF collection works on the Fed. Fed does not have Evasive Maneuvers at all...not in the list at all. ??????

I have a picture of the tray and of the Orion using K'Gan's voice on my computer.

Rifle is messed up in the same way on the Romulan as KDF.
    I have not got out to Space on the Romulan nor collected Tovan Khev, yet.

But it is past midnight here...and I need to go to bed. LOL!

ZuuEh7ah.jpg

Is the KDF supposed to have Evasive Maneuvers at that level? I don't think so...it is the Tutorial. LOL! I know the Feds don't.

• darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,714 Community Moderator
    I will be moving this thread after my reply here as indeed this is better suited to the bug forums from having read through the thread. With that said there's a few bits of info I can provide that may clear up some bits of confusion. Though potentially stupid question first, are you 100% certain you turned in the mission needed to get him?

There's a couple misconceptions about boff slots and boffs like K'gan and such that I see I want to correct first. If you have an open boff slot and pick up a boff candidate, barring a few exceptions of course, they are NOT supposed to automatically just commission themselves into the open slot once you obtain them. What's supposed to happen is when you have an open slot, they hail you and provide you with a list of options. You can choose the option of, not now, commission, or have them train a boff. Barring certain exceptions, unless you specifically choose the commission option, it shouldn't commissioning that boff into the open slot simply because it's open. It's always given an option before and should still be now from my understanding of how the boff slots are supposed to work.

Officers like K'gan are the exception to the rule I mentioned above as the tutorial storyline is dependent upon them being part of your crew, and thus should automatically commission themselves into an open bridge officer slot and grant a popup window saying you've got a new bridge officer. There was an old bug I remember a few folks talking about years ago where on rare occasions, boffs like K'gan and even Toven Khev would be looted to the candidate window or even the roster and have to be commissioned manually. Aside from the odd report here or there I was never able to get enough info to reproduce it and give a proper bug report for the Cryptic crew. Just for my sake I want to eliminate that as a possibility. Make sure he didn't somehow get looted into the overflow bag if you have one at the moment. If he's not in there then open your Character Status window in the top righthand corner of your screen. Once you've done that go to the Stations tab. On that tab at the bottom of the window you should see an option for Bridge Officer Candidates. click on Show and make sure he's not there just to be safe. If he's not there and you can get some shots to show he's not in the inventory, in the candidate roster, or in your active boff slots that would be great. Also to be safe, try clicking on the station just to see if it gives you the option to slot anyone.

As for the boff abilities on the bar, from my reading of the original notes for that change the powers aren't supposed to be placed on the bar automatically now even if the seat on the ship is occupied. So if K'gan was put into the seat he would still need to have his powers manually placed on the bar through the P menu or clicking on the button at the top right of the power tray.

If you can get us the name of the exact mission(s) you're on that will be a big help in figuring out what part you should be on and we can go from there, or get a screenshot of your active missions on the right side of the screen.

I know I threw alot at you at once but want to eliminate the obvious before we run ourselves around too much. Also for future reference, stuff like this is better for the bug reporting forum for your platform as it allows the devs to see it alot sooner who can offer far greater help than I can. The report of a potential issue is appreciated but without being tagged I never would've saw this thread most likely unless I went looking for it. Bug Reporting forums are a great place if you have a potential issue like this appears to be as the devs are able to get what they need for a proper bug fix or folks can point you in the right direction if it's not a bug. All the same your report is appreciated. /moved
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,714 Community Moderator
    @starfleetsteezy your thread has been moved to the bug reports area. If this is not the correct platform let me know and I can move it again.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
    @starfleetsteezy your thread has been moved to the bug reports area. If this is not the correct platform let me know and I can move it again.

I can confirm it is happening on the PC platform....so don't bother moving this to one of the consoles. I will only open another thread on the same topic in here. LOL!

Besides, looks like OP stopped looking at it once they found K'Gan in Candidates.
    I have time to troubleshoot today....or rather tonight.

I am curious what happens with Tovan Khev and AOY. So I am going to keep going, anyways. I may as well update this thread, no sense keeping it to myself and having the info rot in my head.

I spent several hours after dinner running Tutorials on Federation, Romulan, and KDF characters. I quit testing...not bothering with AOY.

The worst of the issues:

1.) K'Gan. Joins your crew....sort of. Goes straight to Candidate Roster, never see "accept officer" interact (Note: that the Tutorial is expecting otherwise, see arrow).

Once K'Gan is commissioned from the Candidate Roster...he goes into the second Starship Station. The only thing I can come up with: program thinks it is already filled with "someone" (K'Gan ??). So, the poor program is conflicted.

JZzVDJ6.jpg

2,) Away Team BOFF slots in the Station Tab do not unlock as you gain your starter BOFFs. This effects all three Factions. Notice roster listing the BOFFs...and only one of the Away Station slots available...the rest are grayed out.

I do not know when (or IF) any more of the Away Stations will unlock for new characters, at this point. I am not planning to level these characters any higher due to time constraints.

wbAweVd.jpg

The rest of the issues have to do with the Tutorial arrows (markers) pointing at nothing due to weapons no longer slot in 1-2-3 in the space tray which offsets them. And the Tutorial for using "Quick Equip" from the Status Window hanging up because the rifle is already in the Weapon slot for the KDF and ROM, works as intended on the FED.

Speaking of time constraints....even though I have more screen shots, I am out of time to work on this project for today. I will review my notes to see if there is anything else that may be catastrophic to report that would make more sense in pictures. But for the most part....it would be easier to see while doing the Tutorials.

OK.... I got the Away Team section to work by manually adding a BOFF into the Away Team seat.
    Adding a BOFF into an empty seat, opens the next one.

Don't remember having to do that before. Most likely because the BOFFs would just sit in their seats without interaction from me. And those Away Team seats have never been empty since!!! I just traded them around. LOL!

So this is not a bug....it is just the way it works, now.
    I just made new characters just a month or so ago (they are still at level 10) so it has changed since.

++++++++++++++++

2,) Away Team BOFF slots in the Station Tab do not unlock as you gain your starter BOFFs. This effects all three Factions. Notice roster listing the BOFFs...and only one of the Away Station slots available...the rest are grayed out.

I do not know when (or IF) any more of the Away Stations will unlock for new characters, at this point. I am not planning to level these characters any higher due to time constraints.

[/quote]

• kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    Confirmed, the game does put K'Gan into the candidate bag. I don't recall this being the case before. When I commissioned him, it put him in the 3rd slot (tried this twice). I think this might be because the 3 stations on the Klingon ship are universal, so it fills them from right to left.
    Post edited by kaithan1975 on
    edited April 2018
    The KDF Tutorial requires the tactical BOFF K'Gan to be slotted in a specific location to work correctly for the "BOFF Training Manual Tutorial" which gets triggered after completion of the mission "Friend or Foe" or, maybe it was "Bringing Down the House".

Sorry, I did not write down the exact mission.

What I observed last night:

Received K'Gan at the end of "Challenge for Command". He ended up in the Candidate Roster, again. I clicked on him and let him sit in whatever seat the program decided. In this case the program skips the first station (as observed in one of my previous posts) and the program auto slotted him on the right side.

What I think is happening: when K'Gan never completes the commissioning process...the program is set so that the first BOFF station as BEING LOCKED only to K'Gan and program sees that requirement has already happened.
    So, when the request comes to seat "the new BOFF candidate" from the Candidate Roster it places him in the next available station.....which it is supposed to do.

FbuYjBR.jpg

Continued with the Missions....eventually, I received a "Beam Fire At Will" BOFF training manual.

After receiving the manual, the program will trigger the Tutorial on Training BOFFs.
    When this Tutorial starts....the program grabs which ever BOFF is seated in the FIRST Starship Station Seat.
    In this case was: Ch'gren....an Engineering BOFF. I might have moved him in there manually, myself, I don't remember.

The Tutorial runs through its "script": here is the Space section and Ground section, point out Expertise needed for training BOFFs.... etc....going through the motions....like it is supposed to.

Eventually, it gets to "Click on Learn" to train the BOFF in new skill. The arrow points at "Emergency Power to Auxiliary 1". Of course, it is Ch'gren on the screen and he can not use the BFAW manual we have in the Inventory, so learn button is gray.

Of course, the problem is not the BFAW manual....the problem is K'Gan not in the correct Starship Station for the tutorial to work properly.

++++++

Further observation with HOW the BOFFs are interacting with the Away Team stations...there seems to be an extra condition to placing BOFFs. As in:

If there is a BOFF in Away Team #1 slot...then allow BOFF Station #2 unlock.
    If there is a BOFF in Away Team #2 slot...then allow BOFF Station #3 unlock.
    If there is a BOFF in Away Team #3 slot...then allow BOFF Station #4 unlock.

If a BOFF is removed...it will go back to lock condition, again. If above criteria is not met.

Which is an odd change...since if a Station is unlocked...it should indicate it is unlocked. There should be no regression, whether there is a BOFF in the previous station or not.

Note: program will not kick out a BOFF if there is one already in the seat.

Hopefully, the edits do not get eaten...buzz off you stupid Edit Monster.

• antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    The weird thing on this - I had the same problem with the candidate roster, but Ch'gren showed up fine per normal.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    The weird thing on this - I had the same problem with the candidate roster, but Ch'gren showed up fine per normal.

Same, after K,Gan they all worked fine.
    edited April 2018
    Hmmm.... something is really messed up with K'Gan....and it is NOT the Station he is seated in.

Because this morning, I made sure K'Gan was in the "correct" Station (at least, what I thought would be the correct Station. Which was the Station Ch'gren was in the last time.

BUT the Tutorial STILL PICKED Ch'gren over K'Gan for that "BOFF Training" tutorial example!!! It is as if some part of the program doesn't know K'Gan exists???

So...weirdness.

+++++

Anyhoo...I checked my Photos...and found the pics I took of my "new" KDF characters I made before this started happening.....and that was the beginning of February.

I have no idea which "update" or "patch" messed K'Gan up since then.