test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Deep Space Nine Gets a Complete Rework for Victory is Life!

13»

Comments

• jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    dmb311 wrote: »
    Will the Assault on Terok Nor ground map also be updated with the new skins/layout?

The one where you could gas your BO's and shoot them? If so. Sadly, that mission was removed quite a while back. It was one of my favorites.
  • dmb311dmb311 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    jcsww wrote: »
    Will the Assault on Terok Nor ground map also be updated with the new skins/layout?

The one where you could gas your BO's and shoot them? If so. Sadly, that mission was removed quite a while back. It was one of my favorites.

Uh, the one you can select under multiplayer instances? It's there. Nobody queues for it often enough though.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    psiameese wrote: »
    I'm glad Taco has the opportunity to develop this. Since the original design is being kept and made more a canon interior presentation, is it safe to assume the Cardassians contributed another Nor-class space station (Empok Nor, maybe?) to replace the wrecked Terok Nor?
    possible or it's also possible that damage wasn't as bad as it seemed and Terok Nor (aka DS9) was repaired/partly rebuilt with the aid of the Cardassian Union, after all the Cardassian Union itself is in good terms with the alliance at very least they might even be a member, it's only the True Way who seek conflict with the alliance.

Terok Nor was a mining station above bajor when it was given over to the Bajorans and Starfleet administration, Empok nor may have been another such mining station, but it became a research station and abandoned a few years before the end of the Dominion war.
    Yes I've seen DS9 (well parts of it, it never aired fully here as far as I know) and I know what Empok Nor was, what I was reffering to is that perhaps the rewamped DS9 is still Terok Nor repaired instead of it having been replaced with another "nor" class station.

Uh, the one you can select under multiplayer instances? It's there. Nobody queues for it often enough though.

I have never played that one then. I might have to check it out. I get PvE queue burnout way too easily. :P
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    ]I would contend it's NOT greatly oversized. In the TV show, it's size varied considerably, cryptic went with the largest version because it was convenient.
    birthright_ds9_01.jpg
    that is pretty close to the size it is in game.

In what universe is the screenshot you posted anywhere close to the actual scale of DS9 in the game.

Heres a Galaxy-class sitting next to one of the upper pylons, in a position similar tot he one the Enterprise is in there:

vh1MKW3.jpg

Now, I could break out my Defiant (a ship which we saw consistently docked at one of the mid-pylon docking ports) and try and replicate that, and the size differential would be even more blatently obvious.

DS9 is comically overzised in game. To the point where every player ship (barring the already massive ships) look like toys next to it.

Yeah, was about to post something like that...
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • vonestelvonestel Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    Sounds great but can we do something about the pathetic state of the vendors? Why does 'negotiate a deal' with the npc Ferengi traders mean "browse the most useless junk in the galaxy"? It's not as if you have no NPC vendor items as you can buy useful stuff from the fleet vendors. Maybe the Ferengi have some great deals but no guarantee it will actually work as advertised? You could fix the food so it's actually useful and there would be a reason to stop by the food vendors. Maybe the weapons vendors could sell the occasional random item or at least some greens at market rates? Maybe there could be some buffs that you only get from vendor items? You ought to at least get a 5% morale boost for stopping by Quark's for a drink and a Bejor vendor for some non replicated fresh fruit.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Really hope the scaling of the final station is better than the claustrophobic security office from the renegade episode.
  • astral#0893 astral Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    So does this mean that Garak will actually be there in his shop, & if so does this mean you will be getting rid of (finally) the Cardassian Tailor on Spacedock?
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,478 Arc User
    toiva wrote: »
    ]I would contend it's NOT greatly oversized. In the TV show, it's size varied considerably, cryptic went with the largest version because it was convenient.
    birthright_ds9_01.jpg
    that is pretty close to the size it is in game.

In what universe is the screenshot you posted anywhere close to the actual scale of DS9 in the game.

Heres a Galaxy-class sitting next to one of the upper pylons, in a position similar tot he one the Enterprise is in there:

vh1MKW3.jpg

Now, I could break out my Defiant (a ship which we saw consistently docked at one of the mid-pylon docking ports) and try and replicate that, and the size differential would be even more blatently obvious.

DS9 is comically overzised in game. To the point where every player ship (barring the already massive ships) look like toys next to it.

Yeah, was about to post something like that...

They have already explained the reason why the exterior is that size. Canon size, for a MMO, is just far too small
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    foxman00 wrote: »

They have already explained the reason why the exterior is that size. Canon size, for a MMO, is just far too small

That is a TERRIBLE excuse. Like actually awful. Like... just the worst excuse. It is unacceptable that the station is so comically large. They can keep saying that the canon size is too small for an MMO until theyre blue in the face, it wont change how awful of a reason it is.

Theres no real reason why it cant be the canon size. Its time. Its been 8 years, and DS9 is out of place as the game moves forward with more canon scaled stations and ships.
    7NGGeUP.png

• toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    Really hope the scaling of the final station is better than the claustrophobic security office from the renegade episode.

I doubt it, that is actually the correct size. All* the interiors in STO are way oversized to account for the camera in 3rd view gameplay.

*With exceptions like some canon ship interiors.
    foxman00 wrote: »
    toiva wrote: »
    snip

I know that, I mentioned it one page back myself.
    I still disagree with that reasoning though.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
    edited April 2018
    the thing DS9 is only a mile wide, it's actually so small that they had to make it bigger in the series itself so that they could have the GCS docked the pylons and that was in the pilot episode and intentional.

and STO ships are even bigger then the Galaxy class. It's the same reason why small craft are out of scale with their motherships having a properly scaled craft would just not work.

It's the same reason why all important NPCs in WoW tend be a good foot or 2 taller then the PCs
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    Just watched Ten Forward Weekly showing the DS9 revamp. One question, Where's Keiko's classroom?
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    the thing DS9 is only a mile wide, it's actually so small that they had to make it bigger in the series itself so that they could have the GCS docked the pylons and that was in the pilot episode and intentional.

and STO ships are even bigger then the Galaxy class. It's the same reason why small craft are out of scale with their motherships having a properly scaled craft would just not work.

It's the same reason why all important NPCs in WoW tend be a good foot or 2 taller then the PCs

Having it properly scaled would work fine.
    7NGGeUP.png

At the correct scale. I wonder if I could hide it behind a Universe class... :p
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    Thanks, Captaind3!

While I'm not that bugged about the station exterior size, what I DO wish they'd fix about the exterior is the docking distance. The only home port I actually like visiting is New Romulus, because upon arrival, you can immediately beam down.

Can you do that at ESD? No.

Qo'noS? No.

DS9? Heck, no! PLUS you have to put up with a snotty, racist Bajoran as a docking controller who ignores the fact that there's an Alliance now, and still tells you (if you're KDF or a KDF-allied Romulan) that she's locking up the silverware when you come, because you're troublemaking scum. Her mouth should have caused a diplomatic incident after the Iconian War started, and she should have been court martialed long ago and sent to waste reclamation duty.

Seriously, after the tutorial when you learn how to dock, they should just remove all the docking officers (that annoying Ferengi git at Drozana springs to mind), and just give us a Dock button off to the side.

At the correct scale. I wonder if I could hide it behind a Universe class... :p

you probably don't even need an universe class.
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    I've viewed two or three vids now on YouTube & I'm impressed with Cryptic's DS9 work! Well done. I'm looking forward to setting step, again, back upon DS9 in June.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    All hail @tacofangs! All hail @tacofangs!

Seriously, excellent work, art team.
    picard_clapping.gif
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • n8pu#8193 n8pu Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    I don't like it, yet. I can't find a damn thing.
    I can't SEE a damn thing! First City looks like Disney's Main Street compared to this, it's PITCH BLACK!
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    vorwoda wrote: »
    I can't SEE a damn thing! First City looks like Disney's Main Street compared to this, it's PITCH BLACK!
    tacofangs wrote: »
    If you are running in Lighting 1.0, and when you are on DS9 the lighting appears to be non-existent (black), please go to your graphics settings, turn shadows off, hit apply, then turn shadows back on, and hit OK.

A few people on Holodeck are reporting that this has fixed the issue for them.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1240801/psa-ds9-lighting-1-0-blackness
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    They could've still added it and reworked it for some other purpose.
    Thank you very much, where2r1! That worked for me! GeForce 9600GT.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    > @vorwoda said:
    > Thank you very much, where2r1! That worked for me! GeForce 9600GT.

No offense, I ran one of those until a couple of years ago but that belongs in a museum. You can get a good mid-range DX12 card like a GTX 1050 for like $150.

EDIT: Researched briefly and made a couple corrections.
    Post edited by starswordc on
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    avoozuul wrote: »
    They could've still added it and reworked it for some other purpose.

there's plenty of "unused" doors and such in there and considering all vendors in DS9 it wouldn't surprice if one of the stores in DS9 was the former class room (or it was use as storage space for one them and we're just not shown that).

I suspect there's loads of things the devs wanted to add but just couldn't find the space for it in the station.
    iamaham wrote: »
    I don't like it, yet. I can't find a damn thing.

Everything useful is by a spiral staircase to the upper level. Whether it's the Exchange, Bank, and Tailor. That is how I keep track of where things are.
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    Cryptic's attempt at authenticity & accuracy should be applauded & they did very well inside & outside, but it should never be at the dismissal of functionality & Cryptic sacrificed a bit of that it seems. Then again Cryptic's designers were probably working between a rock & a hard place for the balancing of this DS9 version. The main walkaround should be about the length of a player or npc lying down wider & as I stated before Cryptic should code in an algorithm to where the more players that are on a map instance the fewer non-essential npcs there are in DS9 that way it could continually balance the DS9 crowding. I'll admit I still get lost a bit with this DS9 but that will pass & I do really like it's aesthetics. This DS9 should be a bit wider though to aide in function.