test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Deep Space Nine Gets a Complete Rework for Victory is Life!

Comments

• vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    My question is, will we be able to go around in a complete circle like how we have been able to? And will we be able to still visit the upper promenade deck? And what about the outer ring where all the docking is? Will we be able to go there?

My question is: what will the lag be like? Looks gorgeous though! Kudos to the artists!
  • jordan3550jordan3550 Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    I hope there is a npc where I can get training manuals for bridge officers sci/eng/ tac. If there is one already I’ve never found them. Ds9 is where all my toons live. Hate having to warp back to sol for a specific training manual either that or buy it from the exchange for a ridiculous price
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    Yes, the art team does appear to be on point with this, which is good. Sort of related, a collection of 'postcards' showing off key locations in the game would not be unwelcome as wallapaper.
    tychoantus wrote: »
    What about a housing system in DS9 ? In the show there are different flats in different parts of the station.
    SWTOR and FF14, I understand, are praised for their implementations of such a system. It would take a lot of work for this team to do it right - a good first step would be making ships' ready rooms more customizable (as well as giving them to all ships which should have them). Such developments would present opportunities for more accolades to have tangible rewards - example, a Tarantula replica awarded for the relevant 'headhunter' achievement (doesn't actually exist, but would be the 'sum' of Tholian Malfeasance and Tholian Capital Punishment) - and other items could populate the sadly-underused GPL store.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Thank you very much for the revamp, Enviromental Artists and PWE EU Marketing Artist! :smiley:
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    TacoFangs said there is, "... a DS9 Reference folder with over 2600 screenshots of the show..." You guys should pick a few for comparison. You know, for the stuff you are most proud of how it turned out and how close you got it to the real sets.

Anyway, just an idea.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    Sounds fantastic, really looking forward to it.
  • psycherzpsycherz Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    This looks great! How about expanding the instance population beyond 30?
  • captautumncaptautumn Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am in tears rn. I came back to play because I heard "DS9 Expansion". You had me there. But now that I read/see this I just can't even can't even.

-Autumn, Alexander
  • jiralinriajiralinria Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    Sounds great! Can't wait until it finally gets released! Now I prepare myself for it with watching DS9, excuse me <3
  • locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    That wasn't the revamp I had in mind, I was thinking Frontier class starbase from the books and that's not a revamp more of a facelift. And don't get me started on "Midnight"

What's wrong with a DS9 facelift?

giphy.gif

• frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    It's nice that DS9 is getting a revamp, but please remember to test the new map without Lighting 2.0. In addition to testing with and without Lighting 2.0, you should also test with and without shadows, and with and without reflections. So that's already eight cases right there.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    I'm glad Taco has the opportunity to develop this. Since the original design is being kept and made more a canon interior presentation, is it safe to assume the Cardassians contributed another Nor-class space station (Empok Nor, maybe?) to replace the wrecked Terok Nor?
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    psiameese wrote: »
    I'm glad Taco has the opportunity to develop this. Since the original design is being kept and made more a canon interior presentation, is it safe to assume the Cardassians contributed another Nor-class space station (Empok Nor, maybe?) to replace the wrecked Terok Nor?
    possible or it's also possible that damage wasn't as bad as it seemed and Terok Nor (aka DS9) was repaired/partly rebuilt with the aid of the Cardassian Union, after all the Cardassian Union itself is in good terms with the alliance at very least they might even be a member, it's only the True Way who seek conflict with the alliance.
  • ventureforthventureforth Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Looks awesome!
    ...and a revised parking arrangement outside the station (placing small and medium ships AROUND the outside of the Docking Ring, with large ships between the upper and lower pylons).

This, oh god please!

Really looking forward to a revamped DS9, the current has always felt a little off - It is missing some details and has an odd sense of scale.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta - That doesn't mean you have to believe me.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    psiameese wrote: »
    possible or it's also possible that damage wasn't as bad as it seemed and Terok Nor (aka DS9) was repaired/partly rebuilt with the aid of the Cardassian Union, after all the Cardassian Union itself is in good terms with the alliance at very least they might even be a member, it's only the True Way who seek conflict with the alliance.

Terok Nor was a mining station above bajor when it was given over to the Bajorans and Starfleet administration, Empok nor may have been another such mining station, but it became a research station and abandoned a few years before the end of the Dominion war.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    Praise the Taco!

(Other than that, I'd love an exterior rescale to more reasonable levels, but well, not gonna happen.)
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
    The words that got me were "Garak's tailor shop".
    Will our one true saviour actually greet us as we access the menu there?
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • fatherofathero Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Go Suri! Glad to see you are still just as able (and willing) to help out as you were back in the days of EnB. Cheers!
  • nozevinet#1097 nozevinet Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    Captain's log: Year 8.5 of STO universe. Still no core gameplay or interface fixes in sight. Better luck next year.
  • chromatychromaty Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    BOOYAH And when will cryptic start to fix the thousands of bugs they caused with all the add ons and face liftings?? With the last you´ve destroyed dyson ground for example. Boffs don´t follow anymore.. Half of NECs getting stuck...
    Sry guys but I really give a... on a facelift from ds9 if they would fix just the worst bugs.
    eng_sig.jpg
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    I may end up using Quark's as my base, air guitaring on the bar and playing dabo.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
      Wow this looks great. Thanks Nick.
    • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      That ignores the fact people chose to park there because they can, not simply because that is where they get beamed out.
      I mean... no. Because whenever Im in DS9 space its just 20 people sittign there in the same spot theyve been beamed out to, and then getting jumbled around when a new person gets beamed out.

There is not excuse for leaving DS9 so comically large. It looks awful, especially compared to the properly sized ESD.
      I would contend it's NOT greatly oversized. In the TV show, it's size varied considerably, cryptic went with the largest version because it was convenient.
      birthright_ds9_01.jpg
      that is pretty close to the size it is in game.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
      tychoantus wrote: »
      What about a housing system in DS9 ? In the show there are different flats in different parts of the station.

That would make the station....really really big. We're talking kilometers of corridors if we're making the habitat ring. If we can have apartments, I'd rather just be able to customize my Captain's quarters or ship interior.
      For the launch of Victory is Life, we've done a total overhaul of Deep Space Nine, making it the most show-accurate version yet. Here's Senior Environment Artist, Nick Duguid, on the changes and the process:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10878734

That wasn't the revamp I had in mind, I was thinking Frontier class starbase from the books and that's not a revamp more of a facelift. And don't get me started on "Midnight"

While I did wonder if they would go that route after they did so much damage to DS9, I don't think that's a decision they would've ever went with. While incorporating novel elements like the Vesta are cool, actually replacing a well known canon element like the titular space station likely wouldn't be as well received or understood by most players.
      rattler2 wrote: »
      tyler002 wrote: »
      Looks good, though I wouldn't be surprised if Starfleet switched the consoles over to their own LCARS over the decades.

I think there were issues with getting Cardassian hardware to operate with Federation Software, so they left the Cardassian OS in place.
      I don't see any mention on whether Second Wave and Boldly They Rode will be updated to match or not.

Well... They didn't update the map for ESD for Surface Tension. It's still a destroyed partial version of the orignal ESD map. However... that can be handwaved as being a different deck and a lot lower on the station than the current social hub map, which looks to be in the top areas as it has a clear view of ships inside. Boldly They Rode and Second Wave would be harder to hadwave because they are on the Promenade.

I'm not sure there's a choice for them with this, they don't actually leave the old maps in place due to space concerns.

The old Spacedock set is specifically set at the lower bell section of the station, while current Spacedock is up in the mushroom cap. They specified this in the update blog for ESD back when it happened. A lot of people actually wanted them to keep both so people could travel from the new section to the old section but...space concerns.

That said, for the 2800 a lot of that occurred within the normal station sets, so by default they'll be updated with the new sets. If it was something like the Spectres arc then it would be more noticeable. Originally in Spectres, the Ferengi Bar you walked into when you first got to Drozana was identical in layout to the Federation Bar on Drozana in the past, just as the section you went investigating for the Devidian portal is the exact same place that you pop out of the portal in the past in the next mission, just played backwards. So when they updated present Drozana with an entirely new layout and an entirely new section of the station, you no longer have that temporal symmetry.

vorwoda wrote: »
      My question is: what will the lag be like? Looks gorgeous though! Kudos to the artists!

Bad, but only the first week or so when everyone is coming through at the same time.
      toiva wrote: »
      Praise the Taco!

(Other than that, I'd love an exterior rescale to more reasonable levels, but well, not gonna happen.)

EEvthhi.gif

galatt wrote: »
      The words that got me were "Garak's tailor shop".
      Will our one true saviour actually greet us as we access the menu there?

Andrew Robinson is already confirmed for this update so..."Yes".

tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
      "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
    • varthelmvarthelm Member Posts: 265 Arc User
      Revamp looks like it will be cool but I hope they fix the biggest reason not to go there. Please put a bank and mail console by the ship guy like you guys did with ESD revamp. I dont know about anyone else, but thats why prior to ESD revamp I always hung out at k7 or Sierra, why my Klingons live on Gendala instead of Q'onos and why I only went to DS9 when I had to.

Pretty is nice, but usually gives way to the practical at some point. Thanks.
    • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
      I look forward to this update. Looks great so far. Thanks!

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
    • archbetharchbeth Member Posts: 53 Arc User
      This all sounds awesome, and the writeup is really cool. Looking forward to FINALLY having a brig cell to use when I want to cobble together an image... (NO NOT LIKE THAT GEEZE GET YOUR MIND OUT OF THE ORION GUTTERS)
    • amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
      edited April 2018
      ]I would contend it's NOT greatly oversized. In the TV show, it's size varied considerably, cryptic went with the largest version because it was convenient.
      birthright_ds9_01.jpg
      that is pretty close to the size it is in game.

In what universe is the screenshot you posted anywhere close to the actual scale of DS9 in the game.

Heres a Galaxy-class sitting next to one of the upper pylons, in a position similar tot he one the Enterprise is in there:

vh1MKW3.jpg

Now, I could break out my Defiant (a ship which we saw consistently docked at one of the mid-pylon docking ports) and try and replicate that, and the size differential would be even more blatently obvious.

DS9 is comically overzised in game. To the point where every player ship (barring the already massive ships) look like toys next to it.
      7NGGeUP.png

• dmb311dmb311 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
      Will the Assault on Terok Nor ground map also be updated with the new skins/layout?