test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

First Contact event

I had this weird moment during the event when the other 3 competitors just stood there doing nothing, while I gathered my rocket parts. Needless to say, I won by a lot.
Also, how do you activate the Phoenix holo emitter? It won't equip on my shuttle.
lucky_star_trek_by_primantis-d389ufa.jpg

Comments

• disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    People aren't doing anything during the Bozeman mission because it's kinda...boring? It doesn't matter anyway.

As for the holoemitter, you don't equip it, just have it in your inventory and slot the power on your tray. Same goes for the toy rocket.
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    People aren't doing anything because, well, the event doesn't require you to do anything except show up.
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    While the map is very nice the event itself isn't very exciting or entertaining. After the first day I started to throw dance parties instead of rummaging through the trash. Looks nice and gives me time to do some doffing, admiratly and daily rep stuff.
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    I got to the point where I would just get a set of components then AFK the rest of it. Got all five toons done last night, now just in it to farm rep marks for my two newer toons.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Nothing that you do during the event has any impact on the end result so why bother is the attitude a lot of folk have.

This is reinforced when the games RNG decides that a nonexistent afk rocket gets higher than one with even the basic green parts.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    People aren't doing anything because, well, the event doesn't require you to do anything except show up.

just as well, the event is not interesting to me so i haven't got involved at all.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    Always curious to see those who feel compelled to remark about aspects that do not interest them, but who simply must weigh in about their disinterest, rather than just move along to the parts that do?
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    Always curious to see those who feel compelled to remark about aspects that do not interest them, but who simply must weigh in about their disinterest, rather than just move along to the parts that do?

And oddly enough how is what you are doing about bashing others about even remotely constructive to this thread? if you really want me to take that bait off you then i will throw it in a river for the fish.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User

And oddly enough how is what you are doing about bashing others about even remotely constructive to this thread? if you really want me to take that bait off you then i will throw it in a river for the fish.

How is my own comment perceived as "bashing" in the slightest?
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Talking about some things is inevitably more interesting than doing them.
    10 mins of AFK for a few days is way more preferable to hours of thumb twiddling waiting for the comp pve queue to do anything productive.
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User

How is my own comment perceived as "bashing" in the slightest?

I was wondering the same thing.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    2a8ef52a3d_104905376_o2.png

This is why. An all-purple model not only loosing to inferior models, but also getting the same distance as an all-grey model? Why even bother...
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    ^ while that happens, the AFKers had by far the shortest distances in my last 3 runs. You also see their rockets wobbling before they pop thanks to the lack of a stabilizer.
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    If something that has about a 5% chance of happening causes you to not try, then you must have never upgraded any gear, or done much of anything in this game, really, Rolls to hit or miss, to apply a proc, to get loot from an enemy and the list goes on and on.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Basically the event seems to be more broken than it was last year.
  • yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    anodynes wrote: »
    If something that has about a 5% chance of happening causes you to not try, then you must have never upgraded any gear, or done much of anything in this game, really, Rolls to hit or miss, to apply a proc, to get loot from an enemy and the list goes on and on.

Imagine if the distance travelled was the exact amount of marks you would receive from this event. Imagine putting in the effort and beating the odds to get all purples, and in the end only getting 19 marks just like the guy who afk'd the whole thing, while other people with inferior models get 200 marks each. Surely, anyone would be unhappy about that.

However, this event doesn't even care about how far the model goes, everyone gets the same reward no matter what. So the only incentive to put in your best effort is to MAYBE seeing your model going the furthest. And as far as incentives go, this one is not so great.
    If it was actually 5% chance then perhaps.

Feels a lot more like a coin toss.
  • stormstryke2stormstryke2 Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    I had a guy block me because my rocket beat his rocket and I had all purples and he had all blues. He PM'ed me saying I cheated and then blocked me before I could explain how it works.
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    I had a guy block me because my rocket beat his rocket and I had all purples and he had all blues. He PM'ed me saying I cheated and then blocked me before I could explain how it works.

Look at it from this way, now he'll never bother you again. If he's unwilling to even listen how the game actually works then good riddance.

• betheogrebetheogre Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    my beef isn't with ANY of that. If one doesn't like the game mechanic, one need not participate, or garner the free rewards, or comment about it at all; going afk because everyone else goes afk and it doesn't matter is... silly. How others play the game shouldn't impact how I play the game.

My beef is that the event is supposed to continue untill 10am Pacific, and my cooldown would allow me to get the last holo i need for turn in, right now, before I head to work, but shard maintenance busted that plan and now I'm boned. We need the event extended an extra 12hrs so I can go to work, come home, build one last rocket (yes, actually participate, not lame-out, phone-it-in-afk-it), and contribute that last holo.
    Cryptic always ignore the downtime when giving the end point to an event despite pretty much every event that isnt a weekender will stop on the thursday.

Possibly because they often get confused by what the time actually is.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    btw did anyone ever figure out what happens during the middle of the event? there is a message that says a large cache of parts is found... but I never could figure out where to go or anything related to it.
    tigeraries wrote: »
    btw did anyone ever figure out what happens during the middle of the event? there is a message that says a large cache of parts is found... but I never could figure out where to go or anything related to it.

Someone which may not be you got one that had an extra drop when they got an item. Like sometimes it's junk and other times it could be a possible usable item like once I got a green engine but already had a blue on the desk so still was junk. But not really a big deal with what ones I saw with either a green item or junk pieces.

• jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    > @betheogre said:
    > my beef isn't with ANY of that. If one doesn't like the game mechanic, one need not participate, or garner the free rewards, or comment about it at all; going afk because everyone else goes afk and it doesn't matter is... silly. How others play the game shouldn't impact how I play the game.
    >
    > My beef is that the event is supposed to continue untill 10am Pacific, and my cooldown would allow me to get the last holo i need for turn in, right now, before I head to work, but shard maintenance busted that plan and now I'm boned. We need the event extended an extra 12hrs so I can go to work, come home, build one last rocket (yes, actually participate, not lame-out, phone-it-in-afk-it), and contribute that last holo.

Guess it was a mistake to wait until the last moment to complete the grind, eh? Hopefully you learned your lesson.....spoiler, next event will end the same exact way. And the next one after that, ect.
    > @betheogre said:
    > my beef isn't with ANY of that. If one doesn't like the game mechanic, one need not participate, or garner the free rewards, or comment about it at all; going afk because everyone else goes afk and it doesn't matter is... silly. How others play the game shouldn't impact how I play the game.
    >
    > My beef is that the event is supposed to continue untill 10am Pacific, and my cooldown would allow me to get the last holo i need for turn in, right now, before I head to work, but shard maintenance busted that plan and now I'm boned. We need the event extended an extra 12hrs so I can go to work, come home, build one last rocket (yes, actually participate, not lame-out, phone-it-in-afk-it), and contribute that last holo.

Guess it was a mistake to wait until the last moment to complete the grind, eh? Hopefully you learned your lesson.....spoiler, next event will end the same exact way. And the next one after that, ect.

And he can leave it slotted, then next year will get it on first day for this year's item. If he unslots it then will miss out on the engine account unlock.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    betheogre wrote: »
    my beef isn't with ANY of that. If one doesn't like the game mechanic, one need not participate, or garner the free rewards, or comment about it at all; going afk because everyone else goes afk and it doesn't matter is... silly. How others play the game shouldn't impact how I play the game.

My beef is that the event is supposed to continue untill 10am Pacific, and my cooldown would allow me to get the last holo i need for turn in, right now, before I head to work, but shard maintenance busted that plan and now I'm boned. We need the event extended an extra 12hrs so I can go to work, come home, build one last rocket (yes, actually participate, not lame-out, phone-it-in-afk-it), and contribute that last holo.

Events almost always end early with server maintenance, and Thursday is the normal day for that.

Cryptic always gives extra days for events, 3 in this case, and it's never safe to ignore them and wait until the last minute to finish.
    My heart gladdens at all the advice I'm being given to "not ignore" these events until the last minute. Such excellent words and so timely provided.

Except I started STO less than a week ago, and couldn't begin the event till level 10 (arbitrary, why?!)... so I started it as soon as was hu-manly possible.

I can understand a cooldown on marks, but a cooldown on the actual event completion reward item is counter productive. The fix is too obvious to mention.
    Oh, and saying "it's always been thus, so must always be thus" isn't productive either. The hope is that a motivated dev sees, considers, fixes. A ltd time event like this may be a super low prio dev resource commitment, but, you know, shoot for the stars. :)
This discussion has been closed.