test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What Do You Think? The Constable Secondary Specialization

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
Post your feedback for the Constable Secondary Specialization here!

Comments

• yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    I'm all for specializations working both on the ground and in the space, but when it comes to the actual skills, they seem a little underwhelming to me. Sure, armor penetration and other bonuses are nice, but overall, nothing to write home about... General verdict: It's... okay.

Side note: Constable roleplayers, remember to combine the Constable specialization with the use of Threatening/Non-Threatening stance to utilize the classic good cop / bad cop tactic.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    I still prefer to use commando for ground and strategist for space.
    Post edited by avoozuul on
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    I still think it was an April's Fools Joke gone bad.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • lordbeefy7lordbeefy7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    I had the spec points waiting for it and unlocked it all on several alts. It makes a noticeable but small dofference in combatting the bigger boss enemies without being OP.

I think its a good measured addition to the game...good job!!!
  • lordbeefy7lordbeefy7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    Meant to say...its nice to have a spec for bpth grpund and space so u dont have to kerp flippping them over.

All we need now is separate space and ground reputation active ability slots so i don't have to keep swapping them around.
  • bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    There are a couple of things you need to know about this spec - the 4 second "antagonist" mechanic only requires you to target an opponent, not fire on them, and you must be within 10km for the mechanic to work. In pve it's almost totally useless, unless you want to fly around in circles a couple times before attacking. It definitely makes you reevaluate the way you play, if you want that antagonist to activate. I think it would be awesome in pvp though - the debuffs, control bonus, armor pen and dmg bonus etc. are going to be good and I could see this being very useful in a team setting, where a target is preoccupied with other ships, while you target them and sneak in for the kill :p
  • feralaffferalaff Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    lordbeefy7 wrote: »

All we need now is separate space and ground reputation active ability slots so i don't have to keep swapping them around.

That's a GREAT idea for specializations! Like skills, having 1 tab space and 1 tab ground would be great. Because some specs like pilot and commando and strategist are very specific.

About constable: that's ok, but i still prefer other specializations

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    Apart from the known 4 second problem which makes this a poor choice, I really don’t understand how to use some of the Constable powers. Hopefully I am missing something.

Wear Down: At the point this will trigger ground health regenerating is already disabled. What use is it to give a target a debuff on something that is disabled? Ground health regenerating doesn’t work in combat.

Eye On the Prize: How will this do anything? If you are under 10km and already have the target locked for 4 seconds what will –stealth do? stealth is already doing nothing at this point.

Close the Gap: This one seems useless at closing the gap. Once you hit 10km and 4 seconds have passed the gap is already closed before this power gets a chance to trigger and help you do anything useful. Worse at the point it triggers is the point you want to slow down to keep the enemy in the shooting arc range. This power for a lot of ships is counterproductive doing more harm them good. Its one of the key reasons I am not using constable as it harms my ship build so much.

EDIT: Just ran The Renegade Regret and as expected Constable was all but useless. Perhaps I am using it wrong but A, the powers do not feel or seem to be related to a Constable. B, the powers seem to do very little to nothing. C, The one use I found for this was to hide cloaked and act like an assassin doing an Alpha strike not act like a constable.
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    When it comes to the mechanic of having to wait 4 seconds to have a target marked as your antagonist in the current meta of the game in which things just die so quickly, is just a huge gimp to the spec's ability to be a viable choice outside of on large hp mobs or bosses. Though I would say it is not fully a terrible idea, but just to limiting without some other method of marking a target as your antagonist. I was thinking what about using the focus system we already have in game as a second method of marking a target as your antagonist, what do people think of using the focus target for designating your antagonist target?

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Well... this spec isn't useful... for players who vape things in two seconds. But for the more casual players... this is a pretty decent on from the looks of it. Might even be useful in Korfez... when it isn't borked.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    I would not mind seeing them actually expand the spec abit, as I could see some potential in the constable spec having some fun boff an module abilities in the vain of cc/debuff categories. Those additions could even help to improve the spec in areas, like a module, or boff abilties that on use apply the antagonist to the primary target.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    Had enough excess Spec Points to fill this one completely as soon as it went live. It does an admirable job at what it is intended to do. Move the goal posts for trading Spec Points for Dilithium further away from the player. A flawless execution of this actually.

Oh. Waitaminnit. Some players think this Specialization was going to be useful in other ways? BWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    No.Why do we need it a some what stipid idea.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    I thought it was cute but not particularly useful for the space stuff I do. Ground stuff I don't even bother changing out of my space stuff anymore because I always forget to switch back and in missions it's just to much hassle to have to change specs all the time so I stick with my space pilot and intel choices. Filled out the tree in one sitting though so there's that.

Would be nice if there was ground spec choices AND space spec choices, two each instead of lumping them all together and then adding late to the party ground/space specs like this to try and shore things up.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
    I would be fine with something like a drop-down menu in the space an ground UI that allows you to make a quick spec change without having to go into actual talent/skill UI, maybe have the drop-down menu sitting near the boff/power/ability tray with two icons that denote what speces you are using an clicking that icon allows you to switch to a new one (if out of combat.).
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    Given the fact the game is so easy, that you seldom keep a target for more than four seconds. It was a good idea. But, overall, unless you plan on increasing the difficulty of the game. Completely pointless.

Consider this, outside of a few Boss fights in the super easy PvE, the only spot you're likely to hold a target for more than four seconds is in PvP. That's if you're lucky enough to not get a god mode geared opponent.

Commendable effort. The spec itself looks good. But, next time, consider increasing the difficulty of the game, instead of introducing a new spec.

Mm5NeXy.gif
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    Well it would probably help people with little experience.
    Post edited by avoozuul on
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    I think Constable is a nice secondary specialization to add to the mix.

Wondering when we might see Dyson Ship Specialization offered as a secondary... possibly some new T6 Dyson ships with Miracle Worker Seating as slightly smaller or more nimble SCI/ENG ships?
    0zxlclk.png
  • locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    Probably not going to use it much to be honest. I suppose it's nice for situational PvP.

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
  • jcsteelejcsteele Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    Like many others, I had excess Spec Points on three of my ENG alts, so I filled it out on each of them. I'll just do the same on the rest, otherwise I'm not going to use it.
  • scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    ok im a bit late but yeah I filled it on my main but it doesnt synergyze with any of my builds
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    It's essentially worthless.
  • bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    I have now tested it thoroughly in ground combat - most of it is totally useless against NPCs, other than the armor pen and damage bonus. It is definitely no substitute for intel or temporal. You can select your target without attacking them and build up the antagonist that way. I could see it causing a lot of grief in pvp though, which I have not yet tried.
  • johnnyray14#4257 johnnyray14 Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    I don't have any interest in trying it until there's a separation of Space and Ground specializations (and hopefully reputation abilities too!). I'd much rather have QoL improvements than more content.
  • vosorosvosoros Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    The combination of Pilot as primary and Intelligence as secondary (for me) continues to trump anything else that's been offered since. And I have EVERYTHING unlocked to try my hand at to have made this determination...