test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

got to ask this?

berserker101#4584 berserker101 Member Posts: 144 Arc User
defiant v whitestar...

battlestar v isd (imperial star destroyer).

Dr who v Q.

who would win?

Comments

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    • Defiant has deflector shields and doesn't need to worry about getting lost in hyperspace.
    • Star Destroyer has shields, isn't reliant on Newtonian/Einsteinian physics, and doesn't need to spend multiple minutes calculating a jump because it has to keep its computer systems isolated from one another.
    • Q snaps fingers. TARDIS is now a bag of pretzels and sonic screwdriver a novelty daisy that gives the Doctor a nice bath.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    whitestar has organic heal based on vorlon tec.
    1. Only referenced once.
    2. Requires multiple encounters with the same enemy to be effective, i.e. is just plain old armor the first time around.

White Stars are tough but they're not godships.
    and A wing can take down a SSD just crashing into the bridge..!
    Which would have not done a damn thing had that area of the ship's deflector shields not been explicitly offline due to prior battle damage ("Sir, we've lost our bridge deflector shields!" "Intensify firepower on the forward batteries! I don't want anything to get through!"). Even then, the ship writ large would have survived and the crew would likely have regained control, had it not been pointed at the Death Star when the damage occurred.
    Q may snap his/her fingers... but the DR always comes back..
    Just as White Stars are not godships, the Doctor is not a god. Q, on the other hand, is a being that has demonstrated what are effectively deity-level powers over time and space without needing additional tools, and talks about altering the gravitational constant of the universe as if he was suggesting they do nothing more mundane than order a pizza.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    defiant v whitestar...

battlestar v isd (imperial star destroyer).

Dr who v Q.

who would win?

The Defiant is fast, manoverable, with heavy weapons power up front, but the whitestar can turn on it's axis, is faster, more manoverable, also with heavy weapons power up front with a concentrated cutting beam. If it comes right down to it the Defiant doesn't have much hope dancing around its target, infact the whitestar can easily dance around the Defiant. I doubt the Defiant can skid dance to do a horizontal strafing run or do a really hard banking move at very high speeds, even the Defiant has structural limitations. As far as damage potential between dancing around, the Defiant has a much smaller size which counts in its favor but the whitestar has a lot of open space between the hull, engines, superstructure and bridge sections, so plenty of opportunity for near misses.

Based on the ability to outmanouver the Defiant, the Whitestar has that one. I am unsure which ship can travel the fastest.

The Battlestar with fully linked up computer systems, full aramaments with raptors armed with missiles and decoys. Mk7 Vipers armed with their main guns. The Battlestar depending on how it is setup as a ship (difference between Galactica and Pegasus for example requires no further explaination), If it is the old Galactica model, it has a limited number of nukes with primarily heavy anti-fighter screens and anti-ship turrets, its main strength is the defensive ability with turrets, it was clearly not built for an offensive role, just as a supporting carrier to launch dozens if not hundreds of fighters from both flight decks. The Pegasus version on the other hand is most certainly a more front line unit for a carrier, more heavily armed and armoured, forward mounted nuke launchers, also capable of launch many fighters into the field.

The Imperial Star Destroyer, is large, unwieldly, sluggish and not very fast. it has no anti-fighter turrets and the turrets it does have are turbolaser batteries meant to combat other ships of comparable size but their range is limited, it has shields but those are located above the main bridge in those sphere like devices. The ISD can only launch a limited number of fighters and bombers and the main super structure is covered in seamless armour except around the mid section the engines at the back, the main hangar and the entire upper section of the ship. It is more a vehicle designed to inspire terror in others.

What it comes down to is strategy, the ISD is already at a massive disadvantage because of the fighter and support vehicles the Battlestar can deploy and let's use the Pegasus version for this fight, it can launch those nukes from the forward tubes. the ISD fighters and bombers are quickly eliminated and the battlestars fighter wings take a few losses but still left with a large number. The Raptors launch two decoys to confuse the ISD's crew when two new IFFs show up on their scanners and in that confusion the vipers drift into range with their ships systems offline, before switiching on and taking out the shields. the Raptor come forward and launch their payloads at the turbo laser batteries while at the same time the vipers harass the gunners on the ISD to create more problems, with the majority of the turbo lasers destroyed tne battlestar makes a quick jump and appears just before the ship and launches their nukes.

ISD is totally out of its element because it doesn't have the capabilities a battlestar does and even if it were a galactica version, the ship would appear sideways with the upper section of the ship profile on display with nuke launch doors already open waiting to fire. When it comes to travel the Battlestar has that one without any trouble, as travel over lightyears is instant compared to travelling at light speed.

I do not follow Dr. Who, but i would imagine he is just a cog in a storyline he isn't fully in control of, but Q can do what he likes, within reason. None the less he can make that Tardis disappear and send Dr. Who back to Earth where he started in the 1960's and have no memory of the event if he so chooses, then he never actually become anyone. There isn't any time travel by Dr. Who if it never happened in the first place.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    The real question is...

Star Trek fruit vs Star Wars fruit?
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Does this "Whitestar" have deflectors? If not, it could be defeated by a runabout - just beam a photon torpedo into the bridge, fight over.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    There is really no shield tech in Babylon 5. The only instance of actual shields as we know them from Star Trek came from the made for TV movie Thirdspace, employed by the highly telepathic Thirdspace aliens. If I remember the dialogue correctly, it literally took multiple hits from a White Star for the aliens to even notice they were getting shot. Now... before anyone instantly says that means Defiant wins, the Thirdspace Aliens were on a MUCH HIGHER level than even the Vorlons, one of the ancient races in B5. They were powerful enough to scare even them. Hence why they cast the gateway into Hyperspace. Federation shields wouldn't be that strong.

Now... as for maneuverability, I will have to give that one to the White Star. Several times it was seen flipping over its own axis while maintaining inerta. While not as advanced as a Vorlon ship, it is a hybrid of Vorlon and Minbari tech, so it is one of the more advanced vessels in existance for its time from the "younger races". It is also capable of creating its own Jump Points, making it the SMALLEST ship able to operate independantly of a larger ship or Jump Gate. This ability also enables the use of unconventional tactics such as the "Bonehead Maneuver", opening a Jump Point inside an active Jump Gate and causing a massive overload, or even forming a Jump Point in close proximity to the enemy. The Jump Point near an enemy was used to great effect by the Minbari during the Earth-Minbari war, causing destruction or significant damage to Earth Alliance forces in ambush situations. One of which did actually lead to the first Human victory when the Black Star ambushed the Lexington's task force. Only ship to survive was a heavily crippled Lexington, that drew the Black Star, an Ace Minbari War Cruiser, into an asteroid field rigged with nukes.

Now... Maneuverability I would have to give to the White Star. Defense I give to the Defiant. Firepower... I'd call even, with the Defiant edging out with torpedos. So honestly... it would really come down to the skill of the respective ships crews and luck.
    ISD vs Battlestar...
    As it was not specified which version of a Battlestar, this is harder to determine. However we do have to consider that Imperial Naval Doctrine shifted away from shipboard starfighters after the end of the Clone Wars. So... lets assume the strongest variants of each, being the Mercury Class Battlestar (Battlestar Pegasus) and the Imperial-II class Star Destroyer. Now... the ISD will have an advantage against the Battlestar in firing arcs. The very design of the ISD allows for greater firepower in the forward arc, while still allowing for broadside attacks. However we do NOT know how effective Star Wars shields are at defending against Kinetic Energy Weapons as employed by the Colonial Fleet. We have seen an ISD pulverized by an Asteroid, so it is safe to assume that the shields cannot protect a ship from a significant amount of Kinetic damage, like an asteroid slamming into the command tower. Not even Federation Shields can do that, and Trek tech can be seen as more advanced in many areas.

So... Firepower wise... I would call it a draw. Imperial turbolasers are essentially a form of plasma weapon in functionality, which would naturally be powerful against the armor of a Battlestar, while on the other hand it is possible that Colonial KEWs are strong enough to pierce Imperial shields to cause direct damage to the hull, bypassing the primary defense of the ISD. In some sources Star Wars mass drivers are able to penetrate shields (one example being the game Empire at War) so this theory has some merit. There is also the Battlestar's compliment of Nukes, which could cause significant damage to not only the shields, but hull and crew.

Fighter wise... this goes to the Battlestar HANDS DOWN. An ISD only has a compliment of about 72 starfighters. Meanwhile a Mercury class Battlestar is the equivelent of an Aircraft Carrier with upwards of a hundred fighters/support craft AT LEAST. Combine that with her Flak Cannons, fighter attacks against a Battlestar are pretty dangerous.

Maneuverability...
    Both the ISD and Battlestar are capital ships. Not designed for quick maneuvers. They are heavily armored and meant to take hits. If the Battlestar was able to get behind the ISD... the ISD's lack of rear facing weapons puts the ISD at a severe disadvantage. Meanwhile if the Battlestar finds itself in a similar situation, she could potentailly spin up her FTL for a tactical jump. If a Jupiter class like the old Galactica can jump from an atmospheric freefall into orbit, then the more advanced Mercury class can perform tactical jumps. So maneuverability wise is again a draw, with the Battlestar edging ahead by a slight margin by virture of tactical FTL.

Assessment: Just like with the White Star vs Defiant, the battle would come down to crew skill and luck. However the battle would be in favor of the Battlestar due to massed fighter attack.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    well this proves something...

we are all sifi geeks :)

And don't you forget it.
    latest?cb=20121212063802
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    well this proves something...

we are all sifi geeks :)

empire at war with the Thrawn mods has remade the game.

sins with the mods remade game.

Amarda with the mods remade game..

yep we are geeks...

https://i.imgur.com/gK7AOui.jpg

We are playing a Star Trek video game with collectibles. If that doesn't prove that we are all geeks, then nothing will. Purchasing Star Trek Online should automatically come with a Geek Card.
    starkaos wrote: »

We are playing a Star Trek video game with collectibles. If that doesn't prove that we are all geeks, then nothing will. Purchasing Star Trek Online should automatically come with a Geek Card.

Well... then I guess I have one. But as STO is a F2P game... ;)
  • wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    • Q snaps fingers. TARDIS is now a bag of pretzels and sonic screwdriver a novelty daisy that gives the Doctor a nice bath.

Thing is, the Doctor's fought against gods, Bad gods, demi-gods, would be gods and he's always come out on top somehow, I'm pretty sure it'd be a victory for the Doctor.

He's already fought someone like Q already, take a listen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgRy6mpVFMA
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Would technology from a certain franchise like deflectors work in a parallel universe like the Babylon 5 universe? It could be due to a certain material required for the technology to work to be nonexistent in the parallel universe. Of course, the technology would still work in a parallel universe, but creating the technology would require transporting that material or technology over to the parallel universe. Then there is the possibility that the laws of physics in some parallel universe are just different enough that certain technologies one universe takes for granted is impossible in another.
  • wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    The Doctor. He's always one step ahead of all his enemies, he's got infinite knowledge to fall back on, the Q couldn't even see the civil war they got caught up in