test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Excelsior class

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    In my opinion STO's Scryer is a better pizza cutter. *shrug*

Everyone has that one class they hate the design of. For me its actually STO's Deep Space Science Vessel. It looks like a frickin' shoe.

I will agree with the OP that the in game Excelsior model needs a bit of love though.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I actually like the design of Discovery. Now... the earlier, teaser design they had... THAT looked horrible. And the concept art they drew from was pretty bad. But the final product actually makes the design look good.

It went from this old concept art from around the time of TMP (And yes... your eyes do not decieve you, that WAS to be the Enterprise)
    18lsjl7zu3nqljpg.jpg

To this unholy hybrid of a D7 and Fed ship...
    fe995fefc7d69a9211d7142e22426cd7.jpg

To this... actually good looking design
    bd9092d92a736b6c2129f0a25197c79d840eb196.jpg

The design evolved over time, and actually combines some elements from what came before. Not only that... when compared to the Connie we saw at the end of season 1, Discovery's actually not that big. She's comparable in mass to the Enterprise. The only thing that makes her BIGGER is the length of her warp nacelles.

And just about every ship has her good angles and bad angles. There are angles of the Excelsior that make her look bloated.

I like the Crossfield, I do like designs that are functional.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
      Worst design in SF history? I'd have to give that to the Event Horizon, with its totally ludicrous passage between the crew compartments and the engineering section that's lined with rotating razors. I mean, what's up with that?

The worst design in Trek, of course, is the Scimitar. First of all, it's named for a Human weapon, rather than a Romulan one. Then there's the technical specs. Fifty-two disruptor cannon emplacements? Twenty-seven torpedo bays? Really? That's one ship with the armaments of an entire fleet, and it's supposed to be powered by a single, fairly standard Romulan singularity core. And it was built by rebellious slaves, right under the noses of the slaveholders. Wha???

It's also enormous and ugly, but I try not to hold its aesthetics against it - it's supposed to be an alien craft, and the Romulans (and Remans) might well have different aesthetic standards than I do.
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
      jonsills wrote: »
      Worst design in SF history? I'd have to give that to the Event Horizon, with its totally ludicrous passage between the crew compartments and the engineering section that's lined with rotating razors. I mean, what's up with that?

The worst design in Trek, of course, is the Scimitar. First of all, it's named for a Human weapon, rather than a Romulan one. Then there's the technical specs. Fifty-two disruptor cannon emplacements? Twenty-seven torpedo bays? Really? That's one ship with the armaments of an entire fleet, and it's supposed to be powered by a single, fairly standard Romulan singularity core. And it was built by rebellious slaves, right under the noses of the slaveholders. Wha???

It's also enormous and ugly, but I try not to hold its aesthetics against it - it's supposed to be an alien craft, and the Romulans (and Remans) might well have different aesthetic standards than I do.

Oberth Class from ST III, talk about a glass ship. One sneeze and it goes booms or ends up leading to it's crew's usually horrific demise
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        Yea... the loadout of the Scimitar seemed way over the top, and the fact the Romulans, with their very good intel gathering and the frickin' Tal Shiar itself, didn't see this thing coming, and it was built right next door to Romulus itself! And we never actually saw her use them all. Although I think we can technically give her a pass on the name considering who was commanding her.

At least Section 31 had the sense in Into Darkness to not build the Vengeance in Lunar orbit.
        db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
        I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
        The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
      • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
        artan42 wrote: »
        Just scrap it.

Hideous ship. Worst design in a hundred years of science fiction.​​

Hideous? hah! That Andromeda tv series had the Andromeda Ascendant and it looked rather phallic in a similar way to that phallic looking atrox carrier on STO. Two hideous designs.

Oberth Class from ST III, talk about a glass ship. One sneeze and it goes booms or ends up leading to it's crew's usually horrific demise

hahahaha!
        Yea... the loadout of the Scimitar seemed way over the top, and the fact the Romulans, with their very good intel gathering and the frickin' Tal Shiar itself, didn't see this thing coming, and it was built right next door to Romulus itself! And we never actually saw her use them all. Although I think we can technically give her a pass on the name considering who was commanding her.

At least Section 31 had the sense in Into Darkness to not build the Vengeance in Lunar orbit.

Probably never recovered from the beating they took in the Dominion war and again with the joint Obsidian order/Tal shiar invasion fleet. There was bound to be enough chaos to last long enough for the Romulans to not consider the threats from within (with typical power plays and backstabbing in the senate) when they are so focused on their former allies who would attempt to take advantage of their weakened state (with the Federation and Klingons).

I doubt the Tal Shiar had the ability to keep tabs on everything. besides what does the Scimitar have to do with the Excelsior upgrade?
        T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
        Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
      • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User

To be fair though the Miranda was also shown as a glass ship in DS9.

avoozuul wrote: »

After taking a number of direct hits, several torpedo hits before it was crippled and who knows what would happen if its shields were up. You aren't giving the Miranda enough credit.. tough little ship.
      • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User

After taking a number of direct hits, several torpedo hits before it was crippled and who knows what would happen if its shields were up. You aren't giving the Miranda enough credit.. tough little ship.
        You're only thinking of the first Miranda we see not all the others during one of the later battles.

nixie50 wrote: »
        t7e6ix.jpg

27kmgq.jpg

Must be something in the Tea :D
        NMXb2ph.png

You're only thinking of the first Miranda we see not all the others during one of the later battles.

The breen were trying to chase down another miranda with limited success before that breen ship was forced to withdraw.

if you mean the big battles? you got to understand that the production team only had so much money they could throw into CGI effects at the time, it meant that ships in those big fights never had shields except the defiant. i discount those fights even though they are canon because if federation ships had their shields, those mirandas would be able to take more of a beating before going down for the count.
          Avoiding post eating monster:
          https://youtu.be/d1PDYBYbVxc?t=109

if the video doesn't show the miranda and breen ship right away, move the video to 1:49.
        • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
          The Crossfield is a beautiful ship. Those sweeping nacelles and the spherical centre to the saucer along with the delta winged hull and the amazing hull colour. Fantastic ship. Next to the Sovereign, Cardenas, NX, and Newton is my favourite ship in Star Trek.

The E*******r is not worthy of the word Starship.​​
          22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
          Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
          JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
          'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
          'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
          '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
          'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
          '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
          edited April 2018
          The design evolved over time, and actually combines some elements from what came before. Not only that... when compared to the Connie we saw at the end of season 1, Discovery's actually not that big. She's comparable in mass to the Enterprise. The only thing that makes her BIGGER is the length of her warp nacelles.
          39634539184_bcbfbe9c8f_o.png

The Crossfield is still a bit larger than the TOS Conni. The Saucer is about as long but flatter and has gaps but the central sphere is taller than the Connis saucer and the neck is wider and thicker and the secondary hull has more space.

It's not a great deal larger and the Walker and KT Connis (at their modal size) still are more voluminous than either the Crossfield or TOS Conni.

I think people make a bigger deal about the size of he Crossfield than they really should. Esspecally as it's the much older and larger Walker Class that looks the odd duck out.​​
          JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
          'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
          'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
          '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

* hugs his Excelsior *

You keep holding on to it Crashy. You'll both be floating scrap metal soon enough.​​

#TASforSTO

One of these days someone is going to take a picture of an Excelsior with the name plate reading: USS Artan42's Loveboat on the front. NX-42 underneath and put it up here on an april fools day.

<3 Excelsior Class
          <3 Miranda Class
        • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User

You've just described almost every ship in Star Trek that doesn't have plot armour.

I like the visuals of the ship but wish they covered where the blasted thing came from in the movie. I mean, the novels establish it as a stolen Romulan Star Empire/Tal Shiar ship but the movie it actually came in said nothing at all.
          tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
          One of these days someone is going to take a picture of an Excelsior with the name plate reading: USS Artan42's Loveboat on the front. NX-42 underneath and put it up here on an april fools day.

<3 Excelsior Class
          <3 Miranda Class

How could you even suggest that you monster!

#TASforSTO

<3 Excelsior Class
          <3 Miranda Class

hahaha! i just got the idea from crashdragon in a way. but it would be one hell of a joke for an april fools or halloween ;)
          i kid, i kid.
          I'll fly my Excelsior with pride, she's old but she'll hold her own in a fight
          NMXb2ph.png
          • lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
            Just scrap it.

Hideous ship. Worst design in a hundred years of science fiction.​​
            This coming from the guy who wants that hideous Yeager Intrepid variant added to the game hahaha

<3 Excelsior Class
            <3 Miranda Class

hahaha! i just got the idea from crashdragon in a way. but it would be one hell of a joke for an april fools or halloween ;)
            i kid, i kid.

Halloween would be more fitting for that nightmare pig-14.gif.
            lnblade wrote: »
            Just scrap it.

Hideous ship. Worst design in a hundred years of science fiction.
            This coming from the guy who wants that hideous Yeager Intrepid variant added to the game hahaha

The Yeager revels in its ugglyness, it is resplendent in ignominy, diabolically, unrepentantly hideous and proud.

The E*******r is a mind parasite, a rogue prion that warps peoples cognitive functions until they convince themselves it has any redeeming qualities at all.​​

#TASforSTO

The Crossfield is still a bit larger than the TOS Conni. The Saucer is about as long but flatter and has gaps but the central sphere is taller than the Connis saucer and the neck is wider and thicker and the secondary hull has more space.

It's not a great deal larger and the Walker and KT Connis (at their modal size) still are more voluminous than either the Crossfield or TOS Conni.

I think people make a bigger deal about the size of he Crossfield than they really should. Esspecally as it's the much older and larger Walker Class that looks the odd duck out.​​

the-original-uss-enterprise-in-star-trek.png?rect=5%2C0%2C1118%2C559&fm=png&w=1200

Agreed. Literally the only thing that makes her "huge" is she's more spread out and has long nacelles. But this shot here, perspective asside, show's she doesn't dwarf a Connie. She's arranged differently, but mass wise is still pretty comparable.

And I am glad that scale image you found shows a more reasonable length for the KT Connie. I NEVER accepted her being bigger than a Sovy. The details are just way too off for that. Her windows are bigger than what we see on the Sovereign, indicating a SMALLER ship that a Sovy. The only thing that advocates her ridiculous size is that shuttlebay scene. Which then gets even wonkier when Pike takes a shuttle out, and the shuttle is LARGER than it was when Enterprise was recieving shuttles at Earth. And they were the same class of shuttle too, the so called "Military" shuttles!
          • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
            edited April 2018
            Move the pylons foward a bit and the Crossfield could pass for a predecessor to the Centaur Class.
            tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif

I think people make a bigger deal about the size of he Crossfield than they really should. Esspecally as it's the much older and larger Walker Class that looks the odd duck out.

the-original-uss-enterprise-in-star-trek.png?rect=5%2C0%2C1118%2C559&fm=png&w=1200

Agreed. Literally the only thing that makes her "huge" is she's more spread out and has long nacelles. But this shot here, perspective asside, show's she doesn't dwarf a Connie. She's arranged differently, but mass wise is still pretty comparable.

And I am glad that scale image you found shows a more reasonable length for the KT Connie. I NEVER accepted her being bigger than a Sovy. The details are just way too off for that. Her windows are bigger than what we see on the Sovereign, indicating a SMALLER ship that a Sovy. The only thing that advocates her ridiculous size is that shuttlebay scene. Which then gets even wonkier when Pike takes a shuttle out, and the shuttle is LARGER than it was when Enterprise was recieving shuttles at Earth. And they were the same class of shuttle too, the so called "Military" shuttles!

Well I didn't find the image, I made it and I chose to use the designers scale for the KT Conni for the same reason I have a 150m Defiant, a 110m BoP, and a 150m Oberth. Modal size. Obviously as the KT Conni was actually built to the above scale, every time it appears in a shot where the windows are visible it is conforming to the designed size.

I mean you can't have people walking past the bridge window and literally rip the side of the model off showing the two deck saucer then pretend you've built a bigger ship than you have. Same with the BoP, you can't show people on its loading ramp then pretend it's the size of a Excelsior. Buggered if any one can make sense of the scale of the Defiant though :D.

I'd never argue (just about the only thing I won't argue about :D) the KT Conni hasn't been inflated at least three times (second shuttlebay scene, confrontation with the swarm, and saucer crashing, ironically the latter has Kirk smashing the 366m scaled window and jumping onto the ~700m saucer in a particularly stupid bit) but people seem to ignore it being massivly under-scaled for dramatic effect at the Battle of Vulcan where it's almost totaled by the Mayflower's saucer. However, mainly due to the hull details such as windows it's clear the ship is most often (i.e. the mode size) the size the ship was made at.

Unfortunately the charts I'm making for the wiki will need to have the USS JJsovercompensation's larger size as that's the scale it's been modeled to in STO.
            I mean, at least they're semi consistent there, the KT Conni, Obereth, and Defiant are all built to their 'official' sizes but amusingly enough the Prometheus' official size is 126m in length however STO modeled it to it's modal canon size of 415m L.

On another note, I bloody WANT that Conni from DSC. I don't care if I have to slap it on my T1 Conni, it's fricking beautiful.​​

#TASforSTO

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
            t7e6ix.jpg

Many of us like it, that's why. :p
            t7e6ix.jpg

27kmgq.jpg

d1Bhlgl.jpg
            dvZq2Aj.jpg
          • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User

JJ was pulling stuff out of his you know what.

Like the designer of the Beyond Enterprise A on Trek Yards said, "Americans have no sense of subtlety"
            JJ wanted to make the Enterprise a Star Destroyer.....
            dvZq2Aj.jpg
          • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
            Totally agree that the T6 Excelsior deserves a skin update, and also a boff station update.

The only reason I don't own the T6 version..
            Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
            Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
            What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
            3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif