test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do ENG characters need some TLC?

2»

Comments

• nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    I'd just like my engineer to have more bite in space naturally compared to Sci and Tac. Hell they're the foundation of everything Sci's and Tac's do. Kirk never called down to "Taco Bell" saying he needed more power. Though the thought of feeding Tribbles big beef berritos, romulan ale, and taking a lighter to them in the torpedo tube to fire is pretty amusing.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    nimbull wrote: »
    I'd just like my engineer to have more bite in space naturally compared to Sci and Tac. Hell they're the foundation of everything Sci's and Tac's do. Kirk never called down to "Taco Bell" saying he needed more power. Though the thought of feeding Tribbles big beef berritos, romulan ale, and taking a lighter to them in the torpedo tube to fire is pretty amusing.

I do believe there are ways to increase an ENGs DPS in space. For me, I tend to use the Iconian 4pc set since I run (on cruiser) 6 energy beams, 1 torp, and a Kinetic Cutting Beam. The Iconian 4pc set helps boost my energy weapons damage output; plus, the Radiant button gives me an additional 30% boost to weapons.

As far as energy weapon types, there are really only three you can choose from: Antiproton, Disruptor, and Phaser. My preference thus far as been Disruptor and Phaser because of the multiple piece bonuses. The Martok, Nausicaan, Quantum Phase, Resonant, and Trilithium sets are quite useful in building up your DPS. Of course, weapons with [PEN] are also helpful.

For an ENG who has maxed out the Engineering Skill Tree, my highest DPS rating was around 50k - 55k in a Tellarite and Vengence ship, which is sufficient for Advanced PvE queues. I'm not sure if I could get them any higher without changing my skill tree, but it is doable to get that far with a full ENG skill tree.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Engineer wasn't really built for a meta that revolves solely around DPS, and that's why it tends to struggle in queues. When the other career paths can deal enough damage that survivability often doesn't matter, then engineering's ability to shrug off damage at the expense of DPS becomes a hindrance rather than a benefit. The only real ways to fix the problem are to either Nerf DPS and stop the power creep, or start building queues around the traditional MMO Trinity.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    The aforementioned traits, combined with a skill build focused on damage, can do that. You do loose PvE versatility that way, though.

I have recently started to use Nadion Bypass, and I have seen some improvements of my DPS. I think one of the issues for players who are ENGs and trying to boost their DPS is acquiring the necessary traits to improve their DPS performance. Not all traits are in lockboxes and not all traits are in Z-Store ships, which makes it a challenge to get. The best "FREE" cruiser that was given to players was the Risian Cruiser. Of course, I am speaking primarily about cruisers for ENGs. The Anniversary Ambassador was a nice ship, but was not T5. I am hoping for another "FREE" cruiser in the near future.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • jtoney3448jtoney3448 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    Eng could use more boff options that arent tied to lockboxes and the like. Eng isnt unplayable it just has very few stock options that mesh. Give eng, another type of shield heal, a diff hull heal, a offense/defense ens ability, and a good new top end cmd ability that is more universally useful, maybe a new trait or two.

This doesnt have to increase eng over all power just give it more play options. Sci is great because of that, tac has tons of useful combos as well.
  • abcd0#4990 abcd0 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    In swtor I've never been 1-shotted in pvp. It's a lot more intelligent design, but then again what to expect from abandonware?