test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unofficial Literary Challenge 40 Discussion Thread

starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
This is the discussion thread for Unofficial Literary Challenge #40: "Redux IV".

As usual, be honest and polite.
"Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
— Sabaton, "Great War"
VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/

Comments

• takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    Decent Prompts.

Looking forward to what people come up with. :)
    76561198160276582.png
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Man, Total War dropped at the wrong time to get a lot of writing done lately, but I hope to polish off something seasonally appropriate before Halloween.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • damzelltrilldamzelltrill Member Posts: 443 Arc User
    I'm opening a story with my captain entering The Captain's Table and I need a few captain's to populate the bar. She'll be telling her story to Malcolm Renalds from Firefly/Serenity, Han Solo from Star Wars, and Davey Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean, but I need a few more faces so I thought 'why not see if any of the other writers want to have their captain appear?'

So if you want your character to appear, i need a discription and what they might be doing.
    A Trill, a Gorn, a Jem'Hadar, Bejoran and a Voth walk into a bar, and the Bartender asks "What is this a Joke?"
    "Nope, just my away team" the trill replies before ordering a round for the bar.
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    > @damzelltrill said:
    > I'm opening a story with my captain entering The Captain's Table and I need a few captain's to populate the bar. She'll be telling her story to Malcolm Renalds from Firefly/Serenity, Han Solo from Star Wars, and Davey Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean, but I need a few more faces so I thought 'why not see if any of the other writers want to have their captain appear?'
    >
    > So if you want your character to appear, i need a discription and what they might be doing.

Did we do the Crossing Over story as a ULC? I feel like I would have remembered that being one of them.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    I'm opening a story with my captain entering The Captain's Table and I need a few captain's to populate the bar. She'll be telling her story to Malcolm Renalds from Firefly/Serenity, Han Solo from Star Wars, and Davey Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean, but I need a few more faces so I thought 'why not see if any of the other writers want to have their captain appear?'

So if you want your character to appear, i need a discription and what they might be doing.

Here you go:

Oroku Seifer, a joined-Trill and Starfleet Captain from 2410, sat at the table attempting to examine a small, 30cm high, ancient Verathan sub-ossemite statue with no success. The statue was comprised of three sub-ossemite officials in its top half, and a baby with a bilitrium jewel for a head in its bottom half. Seifer smacked the statue a few times against the edge of the table in a failed attempt to open it. "Anyone have a thing? You know, a thing?" he asked to no avail and several shrugs.

More about him:
    Seifer's wikia page

How straight-laced are you looking?

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    **error 404: caffeine not found**

**replenish coffee**

**original comment displaced**
    Post edited by jonsills on
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png

As twisted as you would like.
    A Trill, a Gorn, a Jem'Hadar, Bejoran and a Voth walk into a bar, and the Bartender asks "What is this a Joke?"
    "Nope, just my away team" the trill replies before ordering a round for the bar.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited October 2017

K'tang, a dreadlocked Klingon wearing a standard-issue Starfleet uniform, and Iain Burwell, a slightly-built Human with light brown skin and curly hair, wearing a modified ENT-era uniform, are sitting at a table exchanging music files on their PADDs. (K'tang is a huge fan of old-Earth prog rock; Burwell was caught up in a temporal event in 2168, so his ship's computer had files that have been lost over the centuries.)

/appeasing the edit monster, due to typing on a Surface keyboard last night
    /and now for the all-new typos I introduced. Need more coffee.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    ^ Nice. Kind of reminds of Bob from Tekken.

I kind of like this crossover-with-our-Captains thing. Would be cool to have more opportunities like this.
    eh, the real cross over will be two or three other stories I have in the works; Stargate Atlantis end of season 1 some of 2/Fed, Andromeda Accendent/Rom, maybe Buzz Lightyear/Klink. This story will be a "reminisce on the rebellion story told by my reman cap.

As twisted as you would like.

Well a couple sorts there - Tervan, a Rigelian science officer first, and a captain about third. You know how the Borg wiped out a lot of Starfleet's command structure, leading to young officers being pushed forward before their time to carry forward the fight? Tervan's not one of the heroes, he's one of those that highlight how desperate things were.

While being concerned with scientific achievements isn't unknown in Starfleet by any means, he'd probably make a much better university administrator than a captain, and does it show. His ship's tend to be more concerned with the efficiency of reports than actual efficiency, but a university wouldn't give him the sort of time on a deep-resonance subspace telescope that control of an advanced starship does. Inexplicably, he keeps rising through the ranks almost as fast as the heroic types, though if you've met Franklin Drake, it makes more sense....

A little more traditional is D'ellian of M'ara, Dahar Master and Orion in KDF service, though often quasi-independent at this point. A fierce fighter, skilled, dedicated to the Empire, and better than she would like to be at the viciousness of Klingon or Orion-style politics.

I fully confess that the SGA/Fed idea started with a snippet where a space gate is brought aboard and takes out the wall of the hanger with a 'flush' then darts or a jumper comes out.
    yikes, I should sing up and work on the Expanded Universe wiki entry for the Lit challenge, I'll have the time.
    Grr,grumble grumble, time line is being an issue. Didn't want to use the Ori, but Supergate + quantum mirror = way home was the only way back I could think of.
    bad brain, finish the stories I have stared before spiting out more. And make sure they are senes I can post; while naked is interesting in the short run naked balls get old fast.
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    Solaris is on a routine mission ... or is she?

I had this story in my head for years, and here was the chance to flesh it out. Links upon links upon links.

I hope you enjoy!

---

Cast for crew:
    Kathryn Beringer - Katheryn Winnick
    Anthi Ythysi - Monique Ganderton
    Thel Ythysi - Kevin Sorbo
    Ian McKinnon - Ben Browder
    Omazei - Gemma Arterton
    S'Rel - Morena Baccarin
    Annika Kramer - Abbie Cornish