test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Expansion - Victory is Life! Jem'Hadar, Level 65, Etc.

Comments

• newromulan#1567 newromulan Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    gaalom wrote: »
    Sounds interesting but the Jem'Hadar will fade after its initial story line and then follow the fed point of view in generic missions that is exactly the same for all factions, just like the Romulans and the KDF. So I am not sure what the point is in investing in a another faction. Just my opinion. I am just hoping they do not repeat the same mistake they made before.

When the went to tier six ships they, pissed allot people off, who invested in picking up all tier five ships, as a result people did not buy in to the tier six like they had for the tier five ships. I hope they do not up the tier of ships to tier seven, I would rather keep the ships at the current tier of six.
    They already point blank confirmed there wont be T7s.

They never said we will not get a ship upgrade. The new Dominion ships will probably come with an extra console slot like the Miracle worker. Maybe whole bundles of ships with this extra slot. Don't you think if this happens others eventually will want to upgrade their ships to this new tier? So sell all the new shinnies - with the expansion - then announce the sale of an upgrade token EQUALS = $$$$$$$ - don't tell me that Cryptic and PWE will pass up an opportunity to get $$$$$
  • tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    gaalom wrote: »
    Sounds interesting but the Jem'Hadar will fade after its initial story line and then follow the fed point of view in generic missions that is exactly the same for all factions, just like the Romulans and the KDF. So I am not sure what the point is in investing in a another faction. Just my opinion. I am just hoping they do not repeat the same mistake they made before.

When the went to tier six ships they, pissed allot people off, who invested in picking up all tier five ships, as a result people did not buy in to the tier six like they had for the tier five ships. I hope they do not up the tier of ships to tier seven, I would rather keep the ships at the current tier of six.
    They already point blank confirmed there wont be T7s.

They never said we will not get a ship upgrade. The new Dominion ships will probably come with an extra console slot like the Miracle worker. Maybe whole bundles of ships with this extra slot. Don't you think if this happens others eventually will want to upgrade their ships to this new tier? So sell all the new shinnies - with the expansion - then announce the sale of an upgrade token EQUALS = $$$$$$$

Ugh.
    edited March 2018
    They never said we will not get a ship upgrade. The new Dominion ships will probably come with an extra console slot like the Miracle worker. Maybe whole bundles of ships with this extra slot. Don't you think if this happens others eventually will want to upgrade their ships to this new tier? So sell all the new shinnies - with the expansion - then announce the sale of an upgrade token EQUALS = $$$$$$$ - don't tell me that Cryptic and PWE will pass up an opportunity to get $$$$$
    They already said the extra universal console slot was the miracle worker's special feature, like all of the ship types have gotten their own special feature.

AND there NEVER EVER - never never never will be an end game connie!! NEVER!! That's what they said.

I am sorry but for the first time in years my credit card is waiting!! (paid extra for)Victory is Life!!
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    The people wanting level cap increases and new ship tiers are players who actually want to play the game more and progress farther in it, as opposed to "get it over with."
    I'm such a player. I've done everything (outside PvP, I hate PvP in general so I've no desire to take part in it here) I can think of, gotten all the parts and upgrades I want for my ship while keeping in the theme I've given myself, so on, so forth. For me to 'play the game more' I'd need content. Missions, episodes, story (yes, I get the irony there)! You don't need 'bigger, badder' ships or 'higher, haughtier' levels to do that with.
    The game is full of content and more is added all the time. What's missing is reason to play it.

These days I find myself playing the feature episodes once, then maybe doing the weekly free spec points (for my AoY that still needs that unlock) once or twice. Queues? Meh it's all just dilithium, might as well just do admiralty...or not I have better things to do than log in every day just for grinding admiralty. When there's an event going, I try to do the once per day for the unique but useless trinket I want to collect just to have it, if I can muster the interest. All the while yawning at the pointlessness and wishing I was playing a game where progress actually meant new opportunities to reach for instead of ever more (supposedly) equal "options" that aren't needed for anything.

I don't need bigger badder ships to play STO. But I really, really WANT to need them. Or parts or upgrades or anything really. The game is just all too easy, rewards too generic and/or unnecessary. And that's a right shame because it means I pretty much don't need to play the game at all.
  • varzecvarzec Member Posts: 129 Media Corps
    There is a another teaser in the picture not sure anyone noticed. DS9 Map Revamp. Anyone notice the spiral staircase in the background of Odo and Quark.
    original.jpg?1521423860
    They already said the extra universal console slot was the miracle worker's special feature, like all of the ship types have gotten their own special feature.

AND there NEVER EVER - never never never will be an end game connie!! NEVER!! That's what they said.

I am sorry but for the first time in years my credit card is waiting!! (paid extra for)Victory is Life!!
    Also untrue. They said there would never be a T6 C-store Connie because CBS told them they couldn't do it since the Connie was supposed to be a special ship... which is why Cryptic put it in an R&D promo, where they put all the other "unique" ships CBS doesn't let them release normally due to various reasons.

It never ceases to amaze me how little people seem to know about the things they try to talk about.
    varzec wrote: »
    There is a another teaser in the picture not sure anyone noticed. DS9 Map Revamp. Anyone notice the spiral staircase in the background of Odo and Quark.
    Also, Odo is sitting in his security office, which isn't present in-game currently.

Frankly it does not matter what they say - it matters what they can SELL. Call the next level of ships a "special ability/slot" whatever you want - most times the addition of a console slot like the miracle worker ships got = a raise in Tier - if it looks like a duck. It's probably a duck.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    tremere12 wrote: »
    Why the hell would anyone want T7 ships? The last time it happened many players left.

I hate the idea myself also.

keeps game fresh... which is why expansions for other games have level increases and new loot that made the old shineys garbage with each expan.

see you dont really need to own 10 new T7 ships... all you really need is 1. But folks get sucked into buying fleets of ships.

Maybe T7 will come when we raise the level cap to 70... so probably the next major xpan after this.

Frankly I would rebuy ships if they came with dedicated console set slots...
  • tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    Why the hell would anyone want T7 ships? The last time it happened many players left.

keeps game fresh... which is why expansions for other games have level increases and new loot that made the old shineys garbage with each expan.

see you dont really need to own 10 new T7 ships... all you really need is 1. But folks get sucked into buying fleets of ships.

Maybe T7 will come when we raise the level cap to 70... so probably the next major xpan after this.

There are other ways to increase a game's lifespan than implementing such idiotic grind that drives another significant portion of the players away.
  • mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    Y'know, I wonder if the '6 episodes' thing is actually because the Dominion faction gets a decent number of personal missions, and the 6 episodes refers to 6 cross-faction, endgame episodes to get to level 65.
  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    meh, I will hold my opinion until they release whatever the "kickoff" bundle is. LOR pack was great, but became useless when T6 came out price wise (in my opinion. The 20 lockbox keys is nice though, but not worth the price tag alone). Delta rising pack was great actually for what was all included, so I'm waiting to see what they offer for this one. I'm glad they are finally updating DS9 ground map, and look forward to whatever promo for creating a new character that I can reap on all my alts. I am tentatively looking forward to this!
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    mvp333 wrote: »
    Y'know, I wonder if the '6 episodes' thing is actually because the Dominion faction gets a decent number of personal missions, and the 6 episodes refers to 6 cross-faction, endgame episodes to get to level 65.

That's correct. Here's the wording from the twitter announcement:
    "the Fourth Expansion to Star Trek Online, is coming to PC in June of 2018! Play as the brand new Jem'Hadar faction, climb to level 65, and experience a brand new story featuring ten actors from Star Trek Deep space Nine."

There will be new faction content and new end-game story content. In context, that means the 6 missions listed in the blog are referring to continuing arc from Scylla and Charybdis.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    I don't get all the fuss about adding an upgrade or a new tier of ships, if the old tier will do everything in the game. Can you imagine how silly this conversation would be on the Honda, GM, Toyota, etc forums "Can you believe those ***** at Honda just announce a new car that will have X!!! I will never buy a Honda again!!" Or "Can you believe those **** they are updating the new Civic to have 5 more HP - it will now have 100 hp instead of 95!!! I will never buy a Honda again!!" You see how silly that would sound?
  • jtoney3448jtoney3448 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »

Thats great that you can afford and want to buy so many ships over again, a vast majority of the playerbase cant/wont. What that will cause is a bunch of people to quit. You want to see what happens when a company thinks losing massive chunks of the playerbase over and over again with the same stupid choice looks like? Check out Starwars Galaxies and their repeated combat system over hauls, Combat upgrade, and New Game Enhancements. SWG is alive and well.. sorta... the players rebuilt the game after it was torn to bits by that kind of stupid thinking.

If going from T5-T6 cost us a lot of players, WHY in hell would repeating that be a good idea. A whale that can buy all the ships he wants will find himself with no one to play with doing things this way. And cryptic always says 'no we are never doing t6 ships' 'we will never do an endgame connie' 'insert a list full of other junk thats come to pass'. I dont blame them to an extent as 'never' is hardly ever going to last.

But T5-6 was an out right lie as they said it days before it happened. We need to do things that are healthy for the over all game, lvl cap increase isnt good for anyone. The power creep is already beyond insane, hitting full speed ahead is not going to make things better only accelerate the train wreck. T6.5-T7 ships would do the same. And them saying they wont do T7, well like I said they break their word about as fast as they can speak them on matters like these.

Dont get me wrong, im not hating on you guys Cryptic. Im trying to keep you on the right track for the games playerbase. There is tons of ways to make money off ships without going to T7. And plenty of ways to do expansion content without needless lvl jumps.
    edited March 2018
    I don't get all the fuss about adding an upgrade or a new tier of ships, if the old tier will do everything in the game. Can you imagine how silly this conversation would be on the Honda, GM, Toyota, etc forums "Can you believe those ***** at Honda just announce a new car that will have X!!! I will never buy a Honda again!!" Or "Can you believe those **** they are updating the new Civic to have 5 more HP - it will now have 100 hp instead of 95!!! I will never buy a Honda again!!" You see how silly that would sound?

Also all consumer electronics. New ships are sold according to a variety of motivations, one of which potentially being "it's just better." Over the years since DR Cryptic's avoided making that a core part of its sell but in time their other hooks will be met with diminishing returns. Eventually, it's going to happen (as a way to refresh the end-game and break the status quo.)

That said, I'd only start speculating on T7 once Cryptic runs through a good number of spec-swapped hero ships, the last gasp of the current T6 system. As it is, we're still waiting on major canon designs (Vorcha, Nova, D'kyr, and Ambassador) and between those there's any number of original Cryptic designs and alternative species (ex. T6 Atrox) to run.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Well one thing I will say that is nice with not getting another tier of ships is that it opens up more opportunity for existing ships (like those in pre-tier six) to be adapted to a tier six, or for existing tier six ships an spec ships to gain different variants. I mean people have wanted to see more non-klingon/romulan ships being added, or more carrier ships being add, but when you update to a new tier many times those get put to the side for other ships, but now with the existing roaster of ships in tier six they could go back an update more.

Also all consumer electronics. New ships are sold according to a variety of motivations, one of which potentially being "it's just better." Over the years since DR Cryptic's avoided making that a core part of its sell but in time their other hooks will be met with diminishing returns. Eventually, it's going to happen (as a way to refresh the end-game and break the status quo.)

That said, I'd only start speculating on T7 once Cryptic runs through a good number of spec-swapped hero ships, the last gasp of the current T6 system. As it is, we're still waiting on major canon designs (Vorcha, Nova, D'kyr, and Ambassador) and between those there's any number of original Cryptic designs and alternative species (ex. T6 Atrox) to run.

True a better example would be the almost yearly upgrade in Apple iphone or Samsung Galaxy - it gets a tiny bit better and everyone feels they need to upgrade. There are lineups - not pickforks
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

True a better example would be the almost yearly upgrade in Apple iphone or Samsung Galaxy - it gets a tiny bit better and everyone feels they need to upgrade. There are lineups - not pickforks

There's a major difference, you are describing real world devices that are gradually improved by new technological advances. Ships in STO are digital items that have their capabilities determined by variables on a spreadsheet, not by limitations of technology.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    edited March 2018
    jtoney3448 wrote: »
    But T5-6 was an out right lie as they said it days before it happened. We need to do things that are healthy for the over all game, lvl cap increase isnt good for anyone. The power creep is already beyond insane, hitting full speed ahead is not going to make things better only accelerate the train wreck. T6.5-T7 ships would do the same. And them saying they wont do T7, well like I said they break their word about as fast as they can speak them on matters like these.

Assuming that T7 is implemented without a broad difficulty revamp, which wasn't in fact the case with T6 (they also tackled effective power and difficulty levels to account for the new tier.)

There's a major difference, you are describing real world devices that are gradually improved by new technological advances. Ships in STO are digital items that have their capabilities determined by variables on a spreadsheet, not by limitations of technology.

So you mean like a new version of an operating system (or other wholly digital good with graded versions), same difference. Regardless of the base, it's still planned obsolescence and proceeds along the same lines. With STO ship tiers it's a question of design and player motivation, in addition to the cost of development, since this content has to function in the psychological context of a game.
  • maniac20#5251 maniac20 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    I am sitting here laughing at all the players that have been saying there will be no new faction/race with ViL.
    I am sitting here laughing at all the players that have been saying there will be no new faction/race with ViL.

I'm glad it's a surprise for you as well, comedy is so very dependent on the subversion of expectation. :tongue:
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    tenor.gif?itemid=10678288

I heard you were having an expansion

and i wasn't invited

GwaoHAD.png
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    I'm afraid of level cap raise. Delta rising wasn't a pleasant experience.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Actually hoping that we see more than just Jem'hadar as an option in the new faction, though by making it a Jem'hadar faction they get around the fact of the dominion ships. Since the Jem'hadar could be from any background like alpha quad jems, rebel jem'hadar in the delta quad that the Har'q might ave done something too, or even that Odo might have worked towards to some degree change how the Founders treated an looked at the races in the Dominion (like the Vorta, and Jem'hadar.).
    bernatk wrote: »
    I'm afraid of level cap raise. Delta rising wasn't a pleasant experience.

No T7 (explicitly debunked by Kael), so what we're looking at is probably a new captain power and boff reward.