test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Discovery nominated for 5 Saturn Awards

azrael605azrael605 Member Posts: 11,135 Arc User
Also Chris Pine & Patrick Stewart both nominated for roles in superhero films.

https://trekmovie.com/2018/03/15/star-trek-discovery-nominated-for-5-saturn-awards/

Additionally noticed that Christian Kane is nominated in the same category as Doug Jones, really hope if Frakes does more Disco next season he can bring Kane along for an episode.
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.

Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.

Robert Heinlein

#BringBackJoshuaRiker

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    GOD DANG IT JAMES T KIRK! Stop messing with the timeline!
    lol couldn't resist.

While I haven't seen Logan, Wonder Woman was actually not bad at all. For once DC actually made a good post Dark Knight Trilogy movie that wasn't grim/dark!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    There is the Golden Raspberry Awards or the Razzie Awards as it is infamously known as. I have mad respect for any winner that goes in person to receive the award.

Razzie-Awards-logo-620x360.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Knock it off crash, jj has exactly nothing to do with Discovery and never has.

sure looks like it,though. Feels like it, too. ~curtsy~
    dvZq2Aj.jpg

Except there is one huge difference between the JJ Movies and Discovery. The JJ Movies have a lot of freedom to create whatever story they want while Discovery should be extremely limited in what they can create. Being set 10 years before TOS means that the technology in Discovery should be similar to the technology in TOS. If holographic communications weren't in TOS, then they shouldn't be in Discovery.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    What is a Saturn Award? Never heard of them. Oscars and Emmys and Razzies I know about.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    What is a Saturn Award? Never heard of them. Oscars and Emmys and Razzies I know about.

Saturn Awards are specifically for Sci-Fi.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    jcsww wrote: »
    Saturn awards... I was thinking it would be more deserving of the Uranus award! :P

Update! This just in!

https://i.imgflip.com/26hxhh.jpg

Although I share your dislike of Discovery (some aspects of it, anyways - I still find it tolerable once I stop thinking of it as Star Trek), I think you might have better luck if you focus your remarks on things that really are true about it, like the ridiculous resolution of the Klingon war arc.

Simply repeating the same nonsense about Abrams' fictional involvement in Discovery over and over again is more likely to get you outright ignored than spark actual discussion into why the series is or isn't bad.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Cool. If I had to choose between only getting one of them, I think Saru/Doug Jones should get the Saturn.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    starkaos wrote: »

Except there is one huge difference between the JJ Movies and Discovery. The JJ Movies have a lot of freedom to create whatever story they want while Discovery should be extremely limited in what they can create. Being set 10 years before TOS means that the technology in Discovery should be similar to the technology in TOS. If holographic communications weren't in TOS, then they shouldn't be in Discovery.

The writers and so on, as I said, don't give a damned about continuity and likes to take a TRIBBLE on us TOS fans.

Nothing new there >_>;;
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    dalolorn wrote: »
    jcsww wrote: »
    Saturn awards... I was thinking it would be more deserving of the Uranus award! :P

Update! This just in!

https://i.imgflip.com/26hxhh.jpg

Although I share your dislike of Discovery (some aspects of it, anyways - I still find it tolerable once I stop thinking of it as Star Trek), I think you might have better luck if you focus your remarks on things that really are true about it, like the ridiculous resolution of the Klingon war arc.

Simply repeating the same nonsense about Abrams' fictional involvement in Discovery over and over again is more likely to get you outright ignored than spark actual discussion into why the series is or isn't bad.

I pretty much gave up on it already.

I'm too busy working on my own stuff, ST: Goddesses, and getting ready to make my first Kelvin story. ^_^ V
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    starkaos wrote: »

The writers and so on, as I said, don't give a damned about continuity and likes to take a **** on us TOS fans.

Nothing new there >_>;;

Which is why I want Discovery to be Star Trek: Sliders. They already have the technology to do it and have traveled to a parallel universe already and back. Of course, it is possible that they never made it back to their universe from the Mirror Universe and just ended up in a parallel universe that is almost identical except that it is 9 months in the future. Otherwise the Mycelial Network has the added problem of time travel in addition to travelling to any location in any universe.
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Also Chris Pine & Patrick Stewart both nominated for roles in superhero films.

https://trekmovie.com/2018/03/15/star-trek-discovery-nominated-for-5-saturn-awards/

Additionally noticed that Christian Kane is nominated in the same category as Doug Jones, really hope if Frakes does more Disco next season he can bring Kane along for an episode.

I wonder how much CBS paid for the nomination?

Or how much is paid for any nomination?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhfxo8xPNGU
  • as a treki hope any other scifi show gets the rewards. the only good thing on disco was the mirror concept
    [center][img] http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/common/sto/uploads/sto_122209_cruiser_bg.jpg [/img][/center]
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I’m a TOS fan and I love Discovery.

A studio isn’t going to waste money on a Saturn award. Studios only spend money on awards that change careers like Oscars and Emmys.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Oscars and Emmys change careers. They are used in marketing campaigns. They bring more prestige to the project. Shape of Water is non longer just Shape of Water but Best Picture winner Shape of Water. GDT won best director. His asking fee goes up and the next film he does will be marketed as “From the Oscar Winning Director Of...”.
    Saturn Awards are nice but they aren’t career changers. Studios arent buying nominations and wins.
    Also because it’s streaming doesn’t mean it’s not eligible for the Emmys or a Golden Globes. Stranger Things has been nominated for a lot of the bigger awards.
    Also Hugo’s seem to be limited to literary works
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    Nominations for the Hugos only closed last week, and the finalists haven't been announced yet. It's entirely possible that Discovery might have one or two episodes in Dramatic Presentation (Short Form), or the whole season in Dramatic Presentation (Long Form) - you'll just have to see what the WorldCon members thought of it. (I put one episode in my DP(SF) nominations, FWIW - as a long-term Trekkie, I found I couldn't not nominate something Trek.)
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    shevet wrote: »
    Nominations for the Hugos only closed last week, and the finalists haven't been announced yet. It's entirely possible that Discovery might have one or two episodes in Dramatic Presentation (Short Form), or the whole season in Dramatic Presentation (Long Form) - you'll just have to see what the WorldCon members thought of it. (I put one episode in my DP(SF) nominations, FWIW - as a long-term Trekkie, I found I couldn't not nominate something Trek.)
    funny enough, I guess my perspective's broadened to th e point that I could easily not nominate a Trek or Star Wars product if I found it inferior. I guess I just don't have the loyalty a true fan of the franchise does.
    I see no reason to consider it inferior. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    I guess I just don't have the loyalty a true fan of the franchise does.

Can we as a community just knock it off with the 'true fan' BS already? If there are two words that best summarise why the Trek fanbase is so widely regarded as toxic, it's those!

It is possible for a Star Trek fan to not like Discovery, just as it is possible for a Star Trek fan to love Discovery.
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    All I've claimed is that I'm a long-term Trekkie - since I've been a fan of the show since 1970, when it first arrived in my part of the world, I think I'm on fairly safe ground there.

As with most entertainments, there were things I liked about Discovery, things I didn't like, and things I was ambivalent about or indifferent to.... On the whole, my feelings about it are more positive than otherwise; certainly, I prefer it to Voyager and Enterprise. Other people's opinions will certainly differ from mine. That's life.
    8b6YIel.png?1
    shevet wrote: »
    All I've claimed is that I'm a long-term Trekkie - since I've been a fan of the show since 1970, when it first arrived in my part of the world, I think I'm on fairly safe ground there.

As with most entertainments, there were things I liked about Discovery, things I didn't like, and things I was ambivalent about or indifferent to.... On the whole, my feelings about it are more positive than otherwise; certainly, I prefer it to Voyager and Enterprise. Other people's opinions will certainly differ from mine. That's life.

To be clear, I wasn't having a go at you, Shevet. I just get fed up of people always bringing the 'true fan' argument into it whenever a new Trek show/movie gets released (and in my book, accusing someone else of using that argument like Pat did is just as bad as making that argument).
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Although i see a certain appeal in watching those haters go off their nut about Discovery sailing through into awards and nominations, the fact they even got there means that Discovery is far from a failure.

on the other end, it almost certainly means that Discovery has a future ahead of it going into season 2 in 2019 and beyond. A few years ago i was lamenting why CBS wasn't furthering the Star Trek universe itself, and now i hope to see another 6 seasons of Discovery and hopefully even more trek after that. Hopefully CBS doesn't go overboard on its attempt to draw appeal from specific crowds and away from others or make stories that push away the community like Enterprise.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    Although i see a certain appeal in watching those haters go off their nut about Discovery sailing through into awards and nominations, the fact they even got there means that Discovery is far from a failure.

on the other end, it almost certainly means that Discovery has a future ahead of it going into season 2 in 2019 and beyond. A few years ago i was lamenting why CBS wasn't furthering the Star Trek universe itself, and now i hope to see another 6 seasons of Discovery and hopefully even more trek after that. Hopefully CBS doesn't go overboard on its attempt to draw appeal from specific crowds and away from others or make stories that push away the community like Enterprise.

Agreed. The thing that worries me most about Discovery as that it's still at the point where it can make a really big mistake and kill the franchise for another decade.