test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

3D Print Your Ships - Available Today!

Comments

• shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    :: considers how nice a 12" model of the Recluse would look ::

:: considers where his nearest and dearest would shove a 12" model of the Recluse while screaming "You paid how much for that???" ::

:: decides against buying the Recluse model ::
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    >mrw 3D printing comes out but then I see the prices
    292RDId.gif
  • sefhyrosefhyro Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    desapointed...honestly...one can buy a scale model enterprise-e 1/1000 scale, thats a bit bigger then that for around 25 dollars/euros, other then we having to build it paint it is still allot cheaper... sorry but no thanks cryptic...
  • sefhyrosefhyro Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    sefhyro wrote: »
    desapointed...honestly...one can buy a scale model enterprise-e 1/1000 scale, thats a bit bigger then that for around 25 dollars/euros, other then we having to build it paint it is still allot cheaper... sorry but no thanks cryptic...

now if crypitc whould made available the 3d models for those who have 3d printers now that whould be praised...
  • captan2er0captan2er0 Member Posts: 835 Arc User
    To call these overpriced would be the understatement of the year.
    Some of Cryptic's own ship designs are good but not THAT good!

As much as I hate to say this, but pending the size of them, at least for unfinished, the more and more I look at the materials list and sizes and such, the more I think that there's not a lot of mark up on these and these aren't over overpriced from a materials standpoint. The larger the model and more resin used, the price escalates dramatically upwards. Something a liter in build volume is basically $150USD a pop for them to make because of the resin used. For the unfinished model and the solid color finish and with what I know from the MSDS sheets, $200 and $225 aren't overpriced in terms of the materials used. The solid color paint, maybe, but model paint is expensive compared to craft paints. I can't speak to the finished ones, but I would say the $150 difference covers the paints used and the time paid to the artist to complete it.
    Signature%20Base%203%20copy.png?psid=1
  • captan2er0captan2er0 Member Posts: 835 Arc User
    The model rocket rail buttons one of my design team uses, printed using the exact same resin and printers used here, have survived multiple launches on a launch rail and an explosion. If I wanted to, I could go pull those resin printers off of that rocket and reuse again. FormLabs Form2 resin from my experience with it is pretty durable.
    Signature%20Base%203%20copy.png?psid=1
  • robodikrobodik Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    robodik wrote: »
    Regarding materials and the 3D printer method for plastics/resins... I'm pretty sure the ship models will be half (or less) as durable as something like injection molded ABS plastic and probably easier to scratch apart with nails. The real estate development company I work at uses various 3D printed models of buildings/supporting structures/custom parts and have their own various printers & resins and all of them have one thing in common: Handle With Extreme Care. These model blocks of resin break easily and can't be played with- which makes sense because resin 3D printed objects are good for making custom prototype models of stuff that we can examine or test fit on demand but it is just for modeling purposes.

For the non-custom ships this is pretty pointless, why would you want something so fragile that can't be played with in hand? The resin material cost may be expensive but that doesn't help if you intend to do more than just looking. Even the most delicate Eaglemoss star trek ship is made of tougher injection molded ABS plastic and die cast metal so you can still play with those without issue.

I guess what it comes down to is if you want a $200-350 resin ship that is only good for looking at- since it's a 1 piece block of resin there's not much else you can tinker with either down the road like say if you wanted to put tiny LED lights or something in it.

Depends on the resin. There are resin formulas that are quite sturdy to handle...with the right kind of printer to print them. They are PRICEY however. So I doubt your development company would want to sink that kind of money on a model that they are going to show off a few times and not use again after that. By pricey, I mean making a model 3 foot building with this stuff will run you like over a grand in materials. Vs something like 100 with lower quality easily broken resin formulas. Like the old company they were looking at...yeah you could tell that resin was cheap and would break easily. This one seems better.

These guys design, own & build commercial Office and Apartment Buildings in downtown Bellevue, Washington and collect rents every month so money isn't an issue, they play around with stuff like Form2 resin and sometimes office employees are allowed to make little toy buildings/houses or objects though one guy did got fired for making something that looked like a TRIBBLE with whole package.

For something like a toy building or a house I can see it being much sturdier than say a TRIBBLE shaped long object since there's more mass/thicker cross section and all that for a building but thinner cross section for a TRIBBLE replica- so maybe the saucer and neck of say the resin ship would be pretty sturdy but the nacelle pylons or little antenna parts might be an issue.
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    350$ for 12" of plastic...i could understand if they were made out of solid gold, but PLASTIC? i don't bloody think so​​

That price is DIRT CHEAP! Ever price out a custom build of a kit by a professional? Not tlaking the garage guys who crank them out for dirt cheap you get what you pay for with them no link to the films or series just some guy slapping them together. I'll clue you in from the likes of Don Meadows who does custom Submarine models 3-d printed base price is around 500 bucks and Don's an Ex- submariner so you get a piece thats accurate. For Trek there is Steve Neill who WORKED on Trek and is a EFX guy. A Miranda build unlit with stand will set you back over 2 grand if it's lit even more and thats not counting the kit and the correct after market parts to fix the flaws in the kits you have to supply all of those. The fix parts are going for about 100 bucks and the kit itself now depending on what release the kit is between $50 to $150 ... So $350 for a good size piece custom painted with a stand is dirt cheap.
    valoreah wrote: »
    $350 is steep, but within range of what I had expected for a hand-painted model. I'm curious how much more these will be when the "special launch pricing" is over.

Frankly it's very very low. Ever price out builds from a professional builder not some garage guy pumping them out? Be prepared for sticker shock. But you get what you pay for one you get a build that uses paints and materials that will last decades without falling apart, discoloring, plus is screen correct and built by or been checked by a person who actually worked in the series or film (which counts in being a true collectable) the other you get Testors tube glue holding it together, rattle can painted, a build that is not likely screen correct built by Joe the Plumber in his Garage on a weekend.
    edited March 2018
    Regarding materials and the 3D printer method for plastics/resins... I'm pretty sure the ship models will be half (or less) as durable as something like injection molded ABS plastic and probably easier to scratch apart with nails. The real estate development company I work at uses various 3D printed models of buildings/supporting structures/custom parts and have their own various printers & resins and all of them have one thing in common: Handle With Extreme Care. These model blocks of resin break easily and can't be played with- which makes sense because resin 3D printed objects are good for making custom prototype models of stuff that we can examine or test fit on demand but it is just for modeling purposes.

For the non-custom ships this is pretty pointless, why would you want something so fragile that can't be played with in hand? The resin material cost may be expensive but that doesn't help if you intend to do more than just looking. Even the most delicate Eaglemoss star trek ship is made of tougher injection molded ABS plastic and die cast metal so you can still play with those without issue.

I guess what it comes down to is if you want a $200-350 resin ship that is only good for looking at- since it's a 1 piece block of resin there's not much else you can tinker with either down the road like say if you wanted to put tiny LED lights or something in it.

Depends on the resin. There are resin formulas that are quite sturdy to handle...with the right kind of printer to print them. They are PRICEY however. So I doubt your development company would want to sink that kind of money on a model that they are going to show off a few times and not use again after that. By pricey, I mean making a model 3 foot building with this stuff will run you like over a grand in materials. Vs something like 100 with lower quality easily broken resin formulas. Like the old company they were looking at...yeah you could tell that resin was cheap and would break easily. This one seems better.

These guys design, own & build commercial Office and Apartment Buildings in downtown Bellevue, Washington and collect rents every month so money isn't an issue, they play around with stuff like Form2 resin and sometimes office employees are allowed to make little toy buildings/houses or objects though one guy did got fired for making something that looked like a **** with whole package.

For something like a toy building or a house I can see it being much sturdier than say a **** shaped long object since there's more mass/thicker cross section and all that for a building but thinner cross section for a **** replica- so maybe the saucer and neck of say the resin ship would be pretty sturdy but the nacelle pylons or little antenna parts might be an issue.

Well form 2 can't make models bigger than 12 inces for one thing :p .So you have to do small stuff. Hey since you are familiar with form 2 resin...how is it? I am honestly not that familar with this resin in particular and the SDS sheet tells you jack about it. All I know is that it is freaking EXPENSIVE. Like seriously, a 3 foot tall building made with this stuff if you could even do it would cost you approaching 2 grand.

I was probably too harsh on it but it's a pretty nice sturdy material if you make the object thick close to 1 CM in thickness like say a magic wand or a little sword/dagger. You could probably play fight and rough house a bit if it's 1 CM thick at least. Like for the toy buildings and houses some of the employees made they are sturdy enough for a few drops or tossing around but the little thin details like Chimneys/HVAC exhaust pipes/decorative bits like logos on the top or signs sticking out from the side will break if you don't handle with care. They will bend a bit before breaking so it's not too bad if you stop and go gentle.

Hmm someone in the office did made a decorative 12 inch (close to) ruler that was pretty thin and it's held up so far. It got bent but didn't snap off while abused so it is lot higher quality than the usual cheap plastic rulers you find at Office Depot.

Sorry I couldn't be more technical with numbers but that's my limited real world observation so far. I made a little lightsaber that was about 1.5 CM thick at the hilt and the "blade" part was about 1 CM thick. Hilt 7 CM long/Blade 22 cm long and used that as a head scratch tool and fidget stress relief haven't been able to break that yet :D

You know what, maybe most of these 3D printed STO ships really will hold up to playing and flying around a room. Not sure about Enterprise J thin Nacelle Pylon type ships though.
    OH MY GOD.....-_- $350 is 1,196 of My national currency...my MONTHLY salary is 1,600 so....LOOOL Very sad joke...:(

Frankly price out builds from professionals be prepared for sticker shcok. This price is VERY VERY LOW!
    nommo#5819 wrote: »
    I luv how you have to wait for 99 other people to order that ship for the process to even begin with this premium pricing.

Did Mixed Dimensions &/or Cryptic forget this is Star Trek Online not Star Citizen?

I'm sure a nice product but not worth that price imo.

To be honest if you think thats expensive you really don't know what custom pieces go for 350 is very very cheap.
    I mention prices several times for a NON custom build from Starship Models and for only 4 different hulls the STARTING PRICE NOT INCLUDING SHIPPING AND OTHER FEES starts at $341 U.S. . So here you all are complaining about a fully custom built ship that is unique as it is YOURS for 350 bucks is amazing.

These guys design, own & build commercial Office and Apartment Buildings in downtown Bellevue, Washington and collect rents every month so money isn't an issue, they play around with stuff like Form2 resin and sometimes office employees are allowed to make little toy buildings/houses or objects though one guy did got fired for making something that looked like a **** with whole package.

For something like a toy building or a house I can see it being much sturdier than say a **** shaped long object since there's more mass/thicker cross section and all that for a building but thinner cross section for a **** replica- so maybe the saucer and neck of say the resin ship would be pretty sturdy but the nacelle pylons or little antenna parts might be an issue.

Well form 2 can't make models bigger than 12 inces for one thing :p .So you have to do small stuff. Hey since you are familiar with form 2 resin...how is it? I am honestly not that familar with this resin in particular and the SDS sheet tells you jack about it. All I know is that it is freaking EXPENSIVE. Like seriously, a 3 foot tall building made with this stuff if you could even do it would cost you approaching 2 grand.

I was probably too harsh on it but it's a pretty nice sturdy material if you make the object thick close to 1 CM in thickness like say a magic wand or a little sword/dagger. You could probably play fight and rough house a bit if it's 1 CM thick at least. Like for the toy buildings and houses some of the employees made they are sturdy enough for a few drops or tossing around but the little thin details like Chimneys/HVAC exhaust pipes/decorative bits like logos on the top or signs sticking out from the side will break if you don't handle with care. They will bend a bit before breaking so it's not too bad if you stop and go gentle.

Hmm someone in the office did made a decorative 12 inch (close to) ruler that was pretty thin and it's held up so far. It got bent but didn't snap off while abused so it is lot higher quality than the usual cheap plastic rulers you find at Office Depot.

Sorry I couldn't be more technical with numbers but that's my limited real world observation so far. I made a little lightsaber that was about 1.5 CM thick at the hilt and the "blade" part was about 1 CM thick. Hilt 7 CM long/Blade 22 cm long and used that as a head scratch tool and fidget stress relief haven't been able to break that yet :D

You know what, maybe most of these 3D printed STO ships really will hold up to playing and flying around a room. Not sure about Enterprise J thin Nacelle Pylon type ships though.

Good to know. Thanks for the info :) . Sounds like it is pretty decent resin from what you said. I mean if you make something fine enough and anything will break if you abuse it. So if you have the borg spikey bits, it may not be the best option to play with it much...but most standardish ships should be fine from what you said.

Yeah! That's why I'm going to tinker around some more with my T6 Scimitar design tonight before settling on a special custom looking warbird, maybe a Scimitar Hull with Kopesh wings & borg visuals disabled. Even though I'm complaining I still want to give this a try and see how it turns out.
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    $350 for a 12 inch 3D printed ship, and even then there are ships we can't have printed.......I think I might be better off scratch building my own for that kind of price. If they just offered a $100 UNPAINTED version that we can assemble ourselves, I would say go for it. But as the prices sit right now, I will pass.

A great alternative is to offer up unpainted parts for the ships so we can put them together ourselves. Example offering up different warp nacelles, saucers, secondary hulls (if applicable) and other parts.
    dragnridr wrote: »
    $350 for a 12 inch 3D printed ship, and even then there are ships we can't have printed.......I think I might be better off scratch building my own for that kind of price. If they just offered a $100 UNPAINTED version that we can assemble ourselves, I would say go for it. But as the prices sit right now, I will pass.

A great alternative is to offer up unpainted parts for the ships so we can put them together ourselves. Example offering up different warp nacelles, saucers, secondary hulls (if applicable) and other parts.

I have that Eaglemoss Special Edition NX Refit model at home.

https://shop.eaglemoss.com/usa/star-trek-starships/ss-enterprise-nx-01-refit-special-edition

That beautiful shiny metallic ship is worth every penny.
  • gizmox64gizmox64 Member Posts: 321 Arc User
    not going to get one, but looking forward to others posting their pictures for us to see here.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    They must be desperate for money if they are charging these astronomical prices.
  • iluvcanadaehiluvcanadaeh Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    As much as I want this, not being able to print my Tarantula kills it. They need to offer a 6" on top of it. I don't think a lot of people have the room for a foot long replica.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    I have that Eaglemoss Special Edition NX Refit model at home.
    https://shop.eaglemoss.com/usa/star-trek-starships/ss-enterprise-nx-01-refit-special-edition
    That beautiful shiny metallic ship is worth every penny.

These were $60 when released. You can still find them fairly cheap, and definitely less than $350! :D
    7117sUQvaAL._SY355_.jpg

• tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    @mirrorchaos
    Unfortunately, all control Cryptic has of the shipped item ceases as soon as the purchasee is physically holding it.
    I don't know if Cryptic has any policies covering the ownership/use of the item once it's no longer in their physical possession.
    Although if the shark armada was worth their salaries, they'd have already written clauses into the terms of service to cover such eventualities long before this function was provided to STO players.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    Phew, that burned a nice little hole in my pocket.
    $611.40 AUD
    It ended up being about $100 more than I was hoping but within range.
    I shall have a model of my USS Cynisca!
This discussion has been closed.