test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Stephen Hawking has passed.. could we please get him added to the STO memorial?

Very sad tonight.. but the man needs to be celebrated and he is technically a star trek alumni. Could we please have him added to the memorial?
Ty.

Comments

• ev1taev1ta Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    I agree 100% with this. He had his cameo on TNG, and is a fundamental pillar of modern science. Also he was funny.
  • doublea2015doublea2015 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    Yes he played in a TNG Episode and is part of Star trek history now, please add this man to the memorial, may he never be forgotten!!!
  • tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    Not a fan.
  • kaiserkactokaiserkacto Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    I agree too :'(
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    The deeds of men remain the same..."
    12701.png
  • lordbeefy7lordbeefy7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    Very good suggestion...me adds my +1
  • kellyh5kellyh5 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    My vote is: No. My logic is: Stephen Hawking guest-starred in a single episode, while the man is an icon for science, there have been many other guest-stars in episodes that have also died and their careers were also bright but in acting. If Stephen Hawking is to be added to the memorials in Star Trek Online then many more deserve the same right, unless the implication is to show that Stephen Hawking is--for some reason--better and greater than them.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    kellyh5 wrote: »
    My vote is: No. My logic is: Stephen Hawking guest-starred in a single episode, while the man is an icon for science, there have been many other guest-stars in episodes that have also died and their careers were also bright but in acting. If Stephen Hawking is to be added to the memorials in Star Trek Online then many more deserve the same right, unless the implication is to show that Stephen Hawking is--for some reason--better and greater than them.

Umm...he is better and greater than some actor. I'm sorry...but did you just equate the accomplishment of one of the greatest mind in history to some actor who played one part in a TV series? He may have been only a guest actor in a show...but he is by far better and greater than any of the other guest actors and actresses.

This argument is quite disrespectful, especially that you place more importance on Steven than everyone else, true he was a very important scientist but he was no more or less than David Stiers or Robert Scheerer or anyone else who passed on, and put their life into what they loved doing.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    or, better yet - the next federation science ship released should be the Hawking Class​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    > @mirrorchaos said:
    > coldnapalm wrote: »
    >
    > kellyh5 wrote: »
    >
    > My vote is: No. My logic is: Stephen Hawking guest-starred in a single episode, while the man is an icon for science, there have been many other guest-stars in episodes that have also died and their careers were also bright but in acting. If Stephen Hawking is to be added to the memorials in Star Trek Online then many more deserve the same right, unless the implication is to show that Stephen Hawking is--for some reason--better and greater than them.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Umm...he is better and greater than some actor. I'm sorry...but did you just equate the accomplishment of one of the greatest mind in history to some actor who played one part in a TV series? He may have been only a guest actor in a show...but he is by far better and greater than any of the other guest actors and actresses.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > This argument is quite disrespectful, especially that you place more importance on Steven than everyone else, true he was a very important scientist but he was no more or less than David Stiers or Robert Scheerer or anyone else who passed on, and put their life into what they loved doing.

I have to disagree with you there...while i do agree that he wasnt necessarily a better person....we are all human and flawed by nature...he has contributed far more to humanity and the betterment of the human race than an actor. The reason he was in a sttng episode was to acknowledge his contribution so it is fitting to continue that theme in a memorial aspect.

I mean no distespect to actors...i just dont think their contributions to the race can be held in the same league as scientists and such.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I am fairly certain that Mr. Hawking would have loved people bickering whether he was worth more than other people... pig-24.gif

By his own words, the most important things in his opinion were to always look to the stars and to work for something, to see a purpose in one's life. It doesn't matter what this purpose is and I am sure starting to value lifes against each other is not what anyone should do.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    > @sophlogimo said:
    > shadowfang240 wrote: »
    >
    > or, better yet - the next federation science ship released should be the Hawking Class​​
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I do love this idea.

It is rather good yes....my 3 favourite science vessels on my sci alt are the uss einstein...the uss jules vern and the uss hawking.
  • byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    I get the fervor for having Professor Hawking added to the Star Trek rolls, but the monuments have all been for people who have played memorable roles in the films and TV series, or have held long-time roles. People whose faces bring to mind not a real person but the role they played. We'll sooner remember the name Jean Luc Picard than we will Patrick Stewart, or James Tiberius Kirk than William Shatner or Chris Pine (especially Chris Pine, I had to look that up...). But Professor Hawking, while a brilliant mind and important figure in physics, doesn't really have that kind of impact in Star Trek. A new ship class named in his honor as has been suggested, though, is something I can get behind 100%.
    oldracesbanner.jpg
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    That thread in Ten Forward is a death announcement. This one is game related as it's asking to have his name included on the memorial since he made a guest appearance. Two different things really.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    Despite great personal suffering, the man dedicated his life to increasing our understanding of the universe and to improving the human condition. With respect to others who have passed, Hawking not only appeared in Star Trek but also embodied the ideals that made Star Trek great. I support the idea of him being added to the in-game memorial, but even more so, the idea of a Hawking-class science ship.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    EDIT: Sorry, missed where BMR had already replied.

> @valoreah said:
    > +1 for me to make the next Science ship Hawking class!

Totally agreed.
    Post edited by starswordc on
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • ev1taev1ta Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    or, better yet - the next federation science ship released should be the Hawking Class​​

I do love this idea.

I would not mind this at all. Make it so.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Heh, he's particularly notable for being the only person(so far) to ever play themselves in a Star Trek episode.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    I find myself agreeing Kinda) with kellyh5. Yes, Hawkings was a great scientist, however, his contribution to Star Trek was literally just a cameo in a single episode. My opinion is that STO should limit "official" memorials to those who made significant contributions to Star Trek. Actors definitely, , writers sure (unless they wrote the crappy episodes lol ), producers....maybe.

People who appeared in a cameo in a single episode, oh heck, why not, but only after recognizing everyone else who appeared in more than a cameo and in more than one episode.

Those who are big fans of Hawkings can easily do their own "memorial", name your Science ship after him, name your Science Officer after him. Again, just my opinion, but STO is made for Start Trek fans and a good percentage of Star Trek fans probably didn't even remember that Hawkings actually appeared in a single episode until someone else mentioned it.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    I think a ship class name would be better than on a memorial that people maybe read once.

He's likely inspired a lot of sci-fi over the decades, so giving him a nod would be appropriate to me.
  • stobot#7771 stobot Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    Stephen Hawking tribute character:

dV7YVyZ.jpg

Sliders here:

https://imgur.com/a/AfMwX
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I guess as a guest actor he could deserve a spot on the contact dialog for the memorial. I think more would be going a bit too far.

Maybe the T6 Nova variant could be called Hawking. (Any excuse to get a Tier 6 Nova is good, but this might be better. He even has a lose connection to Novas, since some Novas (or Supernovas) lead to black holes, one of his research topics.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Maybe the T6 Nova variant could be called Hawking. (Any excuse to get a Tier 6 Nova is good, but this might be better. He even has a lose connection to Novas, since some Novas (or Supernovas) lead to black holes, one of his research topics.)

that was actually my thought process, though slightly different...novas are part of stars, which output radiation across multiple spectra, and one type of radiation is the one thing people relate most with stephen hawking (even though stars themselves don't output that particular type of radiation - that we know of)​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    My take would be a No. He was not apart of ST. If you add everyone who had a cameo or started in 1 episode... where would it end?
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    I would fully support the T6 Nova being the Hawking-class.

Another idea that I think could please many if not all; how about instead of the memorial, we start adding names to those mob ships that patrol ESD for those no longer with us? I think it would be really something to fly around ESD and see the USS Hawking and (for instance) the USS Hunter (for Jeffrey Hunter) go past. The names could even be on a day by day rotation considering the number of people we're talking about. No one gets preference, everyone gets remembered.
This discussion has been closed.