test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is Dilithium/Zen a form of cyptocurrency?

lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
Is Dilithium/Zen a form of cyptocurrency?

I mean okay you can't cash in zen for regular money or other cyptocurrencies, but we effectively mine diluthium, and many of us have traded it in for zen so we could buy stuff that otherwise would cost money, like C-Store ships and lockbox keys and other stuff.

So is it a Cyptocurrency?

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Not really no. Pretty much every MMO has some kind of in house currency you get with real world money to trade for in game items.

The closest I can think of though is probably what people were able to do in WoW to grind out a copy of Destiny 2 in game. I don't know the details, but a fleetmate of mine does play WoW and has heard stories of some people actually doing that.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    A "crypto" (cryptographic) currency uses a shared blockchain ledger and a scheme like proof of work to validate transactions added to it.

Private currencies like zen have existed for centuries, and are not "crypto" in any sense of the word.
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    I suspect that may be more of a technical answer than the OP was hoping for dave. :pensive:

Now to go see what the jeff a "shared blockchain ledger" is.

Don't worry, I'll do it myself.

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,303 Community Moderator
    No, it's Cryptic-currency. ;)
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User

Private currencies like zen have existed for centuries, and are not "crypto" in any sense of the word.

Millennia, enumerated private credit is the first recorded currency. ;)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User

Millennia, enumerated private credit is the first recorded currency. ;)

I'd still prefer magic beans as currency myself. I'm old school like that.

This cryptowhatever is beyond me.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    I suspect that may be more of a technical answer than the OP was hoping for dave. :pensive:

Now to go see what the jeff a "shared blockchain ledger" is.

Don't worry, I'll do it myself.

:smiley: That's why I tell people to stay far away from "investing" in cryptocoins as a get-rich-quick scheme. It's a speculative bubble worse than the dot-com and junk mortgage bubbles and will lose at lot of people a lot of money when it pops. Stock index mutual funds and ETFs are your friend.

• salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    OP, if this is a joke, excellent job. Because I laughed so hard when reading this.

If it's not a joke, then I'm sorry for insulting you.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    I dont 'mine' any currency myself as I always seem to get it in rather predictable ways on a pretty regular basis. If they changed the game so that you had a 0.000001% chance of getting any reward at all for doing missions and once attained nobody could ever get anything from that mission in future then I guess it would be closer to a cryptocurrency but for now I go with a no.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User

booooooo
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User

*throws rotten tomatoes*​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    Time to drop the mic and run BMR...
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,303 Community Moderator
    Lol
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    Zen is more an example of legal RMT; we give PWE our money, they give us an in-game item in the form of currency. Dilithium is the in-game currency given for free to maintain a certain level separation between free-to-play and pay-to-win. Cryptocurrency is neither of those things; it's a fake currency being paraded as real money, 'earned' solely by turning on a computer and leaving it running a program with about as much input from you as it took to turn on the computer and double-click an icon. The only thing these all share is that they're fake in regards to the real world.
    oldracesbanner.jpg
  • fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    Cryptocurrency is both a pyramid scheme and a honey trap for suckers. Search for all the different variations how they mysteriously get TRIBBLE once enough people buy in. Technically its purpose to to evade government oversight, useful in dictatorships and countries under economic sanction, but for anyone else why would you want no court protection at all. May as well go back to seashells and tulip bulbs.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    A better term for zen is scrip. Cash proxy only accepted by the company that issued it. Mining and logging towns used to use it to enforce employee loyalty, wildcat banks used it to cover up the fact that they generally couldn't cover despoits and didn't actually have the money they were lending out, but there's a much less dark (but still on the dimmer side of gray) side: bus and arcade tokens, gift cards, carnival tickets, store credit, etc. All the same thing as zen - you buy scrip up front, and then spend it later on actual purchases. The company already has your money, so you're locked into spending it there one way or another, but it ceases to be fit tender once you trade it for scrip.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Since Dil is only used in STO, no. If anyone would take Dil as money for stuff then I'd say yes.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Since Dil is only used in STO, no. If anyone would take Dil as money for stuff then I'd say yes.

If it doesn't have a block-chain it's not a cryptocurrency. The term isn't synonymous with any form of currency that lives on the internet, only a very particular type that uses a means of cryptography (ie. the block chain) to moderate and log transactions.

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptocurrency
    John Oliver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6iDZspbRMg

And why is this thread still going? I appreciate that people want to have their two cents but this isn't a matter of opinion: neither dilithium or zen meet the technical definition of a cryptocurrency (by a very long way) and we did cover that early on. That's more or less it (apart from punning.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!