test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Does anyone use single cannons?

Isn't it time to remove single cannons from the game? (And, yes, this is because I opened 2 Discovery disruptor cannon boxes and got 2 single cannons in them).

Does anyone use them? If so, please tell me why. And none of this, "Well, they have a wider arc of fire so are useful in some cases" or "you can mount them on things that can't mount dual cannons."

The question is, do YOU use them? And why?
«13

Comments

  • tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    Good point, nobody touches the stuff.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,451 Arc User
    I would use them if you could mount them in aft weapon slots
    Spock.jpg

  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    The only single cannons I use are the turrets.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 7,907 Arc User
    Isn't it time to remove single cannons from the game? (And, yes, this is because I opened 2 Discovery disruptor cannon boxes and got 2 single cannons in them).

    Does anyone use them? If so, please tell me why. And none of this, "Well, they have a wider arc of fire so are useful in some cases" or "you can mount them on things that can't mount dual cannons."

    The question is, do YOU use them? And why?

    I use them quite frequently and with very good results.
    One needs to know how to set up a proper build though since it is not as straight forward as a beam boat or DHC build.

    Started using SC after seeing an old PVP build for a Galaxy X in action and developed the build from that point.
    There has been the mandatory stop at the plasma explosion consoles along the way. Kemocite also works quite well.

    Currently there are still a few consoles and traits which allow cruisers with SC/turrets to throw down close to insane amounts of damage. Maybe it would be higher if i actually bothered to upgrade my weapons or consoles, but it is more than sufficient for any PVE.

    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 7,907 Arc User
    PS there are some topics with actual single cannon builds,
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,326 Arc User
    Do I use the? Yup on my slow turning cruisers that are just not able to get the turn needed for dual cannons, and I prefer to the style an look of cannons to beam (dual beams are nice though).

    Are they used in top/high dps builds? I think some might be, though does it matter? I mean as is said countless times to complete the game you can pretty much use whatever you wish, and elite content is not done by nearly as large a degree of the playerbase.

    Could the single cannon weapon type use some adjustments, or buffs to make them more interesting, and improve thier viability against beam arrays an dual banks? They could use some minor buffs, or changes, but without them they would still be usable. any would like to see them be able to be mountable in the rear, though personally i would prefer to see the devs produce more special turrets (like the heavy turrets) that like the omni-arrays are limited to two per ship (using the same restriction as omni-arrays).
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,490 Arc User
    I use them on my D'Deridex for a closer to the canon show look. I've also used them to surprisingly good performance on a Scimitar, though I don't fly that very often.

    Also, LOL at opening TWO whole weapon boxes and complaining that an entire category of weapons be should be removed. I've opened over 40 of the weapon boxes this week to try and get an Omni beam and still not gotten one, though I did at least luck out and nab a Vanity shield that was worth a mint. I'm sure there's people out there having opened hundreds that aren't complaining that Dual Beam Banks or Single Cannons be removed. Heck, I've not heard of anyone complaining about there being three types of each given weapon, but anyone interested in DPS is likely going for Sensor-Linked over the other two.
    asuran14 wrote: »
    Could the single cannon weapon type use some adjustments, or buffs to make them more interesting, and improve thier viability against beam arrays an dual banks? They could use some minor buffs, or changes, but without them they would still be usable. any would like to see them be able to be mountable in the rear, though personally i would prefer to see the devs produce more special turrets (like the heavy turrets) that like the omni-arrays are limited to two per ship (using the same restriction as omni-arrays).

    I agree with asuran here.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 3,773 Arc User
    Sometimes I fly Cruisers with single cannons and turrets as I do not like FaW beam spam all round the ship. I like to fly pointing forwards in chase camera mode and shoot forward.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,591 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Isn't it time to remove single cannons from the game? (And, yes, this is because I opened 2 Discovery disruptor cannon boxes and got 2 single cannons in them).

    Does anyone use them? If so, please tell me why. And none of this, "Well, they have a wider arc of fire so are useful in some cases" or "you can mount them on things that can't mount dual cannons."

    The question is, do YOU use them? And why?

    I still sometimes use a single cannon front turret rear build on an A2B cruiser with decent results. The build goes back to when Excelsior cruisers where still new. They still seem to get the job quite nicely.

    "Isn't it time to remove single cannons from the game?"

    I disagree. Just because something isn't currently "optimal" or "meta" doesn't mean it should be removed from the game. Variety is the spice of life.

    Edit: Just wanted to add that they have a wider arc of fire so are useful in some cases and that you can mount them on things that can't mount dual cannons :smile:

  • smooshy#7462 smooshy Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    Thank you for the good responses to my mostly tongue-in-cheek OP. Some of you got me thinking (the others had me laughing). I never use them myself, but now I may try.
  • blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    I like using them on ships I don't want to use beam abilities on, nearly the same coverage, but more damage. and by that read carriers. One single canon a beam array, and typically a missile on front of one so I can broadside at the edge of battle and do a touch more damage, of course if I'm using BFAW....
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino



  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 3,601 Arc User
    I sometimes use them because there are cases where I like the visuals. My engineer who uses phasers, combines a dual beam bank with heavy cannons and single cannons.

    But I understand why anyone would think these weapons are redundant - you might as well use dual (heavy) cannons if a ship can equip them.

    For cruisers, I believe they should simply allow us to use dual (heavy) cannons as well. Not being able to equip these dual cannons on some cruisers never made much sense to me when they were the only class of cruisers - and over the years it has made even less sense to keep that restriction. We now have miracle worker cruisers, battlecruisers like the Arbiter and Command cruisers that can use dual cannons, so why not give regular cruisers the option to use them?
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

    [3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    I've tried them out on more sluggish vessels that can't get the angles to use duals properly.

    Beams on everything big gets old. I love me some cannons.

    In fact when I get me mits on a JHDC I may do a cannon/turret only build on that.

    Sub-optimal? Probably but who cares?
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,252 Arc User
    I honestly would if I could mount them in the aft weapons slot.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

    http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 7,907 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »
    I honestly would if I could mount them in the aft weapons slot.

    That would hurt the usefulness of turrets and make single cannons too similar to beam arrays so that won't happen.
    One thing which is missing is more options for heavy single cannons.

    Currently the only options are the elachi lobi cannon and the Long-Range Destabilized Tetryon Heavy Cannon.


    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,252 Arc User
    > @questerius said:
    > talonxv wrote: »
    >
    > I honestly would if I could mount them in the aft weapons slot.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > That would hurt the usefulness of turrets and make single cannons too similar to beam arrays so that won't happen.
    > One thing which is missing is more options for heavy single cannons.
    >
    > Currently the only options are the elachi lobi cannon and the Long-Range Destabilized Tetryon Heavy Cannon.

    For a cruiser who wants a different flavor sure. For a DHC build, nope. Because for my Defiant for Example SCs on the tail would be a waste of forward firepower.

    For a broadsiding cruiser not so much and ya know what a cruiser can load up 8 beam arrays and broadside till his hearts content. Why not with SCs?
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

    http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    I use cannons on any ships I can't use dual heavy cannons on. Disruptors all to fit that sweet Imperial turbolaser theme. Still waiting for the Vorgon carrier on consoles so I can get my Super Star Destroyer on.
    oldracesbanner.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 56,066 Community Moderator
    talonxv wrote: »
    For a broadsiding cruiser not so much and ya know what a cruiser can load up 8 beam arrays and broadside till his hearts content. Why not with SCs?

    The problem is that Single Cannons only have a 180 arc. There would literally be only 1 degree of crossover for a full broadside. One minor twitch and you're only using forward or aft.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,326 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »
    I honestly would if I could mount them in the aft weapons slot.

    Not sure it would help to have single cannon able to be used in the aft slots, and it is for a single pretty good reason. They have a firing arc of 180 degrees, compared to the 250 degree arc of beam arrays, and so there would be really no overlap like with beam arrays that makes broadsiding actually possible. So they would need to make an adjustment to the single cannons to give them a bit of a overlap if they were to be used for a broadsiding, something I would say would need to be about 210-220 degrees.Though I think they should take the idea of the heavy-turrets an develop further along the lines of the omni-arrays had been, as than that could actually make using cannons on ships more of a viable option than it is currently.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,252 Arc User
    > @rattler2 said:
    > talonxv wrote: »
    >
    > For a broadsiding cruiser not so much and ya know what a cruiser can load up 8 beam arrays and broadside till his hearts content. Why not with SCs?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The problem is that Single Cannons only have a 180 arc. There would literally be only 1 degree of crossover for a full broadside. One minor twitch and you're only using forward or aft.

    I know rattler. But sure might have to increase the angle to say 200, but I wouldn't mind at all.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

    http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Yes but only on ships that don't allow DHC, because variety from just dbb or beams or projectiles keeps things fun.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,951 Arc User
    One time I was pugging ISA and one of the other guys was running an Odyssey with polaron SCs. That was interesting to watch. Don't remember how effective it was offhand, though.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

    Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,723 Arc User
    I don't, but then again these days I mostly fly Tac Warbirds so I can use duals on them easy.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,252 Arc User
    Though I've been of the opinion that Cryptic needs to redo cannons anyways.

    SC buff the angles to 200 and allow them to be rear mounted.

    DC buff to DHC numbers(no I haven't lost my mind).

    DHC: make them slow energy hogs that put down BIG blasts. Think the big phaser cannons off the Vengeance. Allow Dreadnoughts, battleships etc. The big battle wagons to be able to mount them. Imagine 6-8 of them firing and it looks like space battleship Yamato. Give them say a 6-8 second reload so not to make them OP. Big spike damage guns.

    My 2 cents.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

    http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,326 Arc User
    Would much rather see the firing arc of dual canons buffed to 60-70 degrees, which would give them a firing arc that would be more reasonable for the cruisers that can mount dual cannons, while dual heavy cannons would be more used on the nimble escorts that can capitalize on the damage they out put an the crit severity they have without needing much turn-rate buffing.

    An either the single cannon going up to 200 degree firing arc, or just creating/expanding the heavy turret concept would be fine. Since both would give some variety to the game play, or merely improve the viability of using cannon weapon types on more ships depending on how they would work the heavy turrets. I mean if you could like with the omni-arrays only slot two oce these turrets on a ship at a time, with them being either stronger in the case of a heavy turret, or firing much faster in the case of a dual-turret it would make using turrets in the rear abit less an issue.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,789 Arc User
    I can't speak to their effectiveness. I did try them out on a D'deridex once. The visuals were horrible so I haven't tried using them since. I found that DC's and DHC's were visually much more appealing.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • tacticoolfugga#9235 tacticoolfugga Member Posts: 377 Arc User
    I use them on the D’Deridex Warbird and on the NX and will expirament on others. I see plenty of people using them as well. In fact, I would like to see a “heavy” version other than the Lobi weapons.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,364 Arc User
    I use Single Cannons. Because I like how they look. Because Dual Cannons have a narrow firing arc. Because Dual Heavy Cannons fire too slowly and use too much energy doing so.

    Also, the OP opening two Discovery Boxes and not getting both ships is what this thread is really supposed to be about.
    Nope. It ain't Discovery. It ain't Picard. It's not SNW, either.
    It's your obsessive-compulsive belief that you are the only 'real' Star Trek fan around here.
Sign In or Register to comment.