test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] 3D Print Your Own STO Ships in March!

Comments

• ferroequusferroequus Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    My ship, the 'I.K.S. Fek'lhr' is already available in a familiar format:

https://studio.bricklink.com/v2/build/model.page?idModel=32618

:)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    ferroequus wrote: »

such a low-res model though :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User

Least it looks like a D7. ;)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • wilomica0ketwilomica0ket Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I'd love this if my ship was customizable, but the Jupiter class carrier has gotten zilch from the dev team! :(
  • culexofborgculexofborg Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    What about Deflectors and other adornments.. Like my ship has the entire borg set.. Will a printed ship have the assimilated modules and the borg deflector and subtranswarp engines?

If not.. then it really wouldn't be my ship would it?
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User

Better than whatever that monster they called a D7 in Discovery.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • teratoma#1326 teratoma Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I like this, but I would be more likely to purchase one if I were allowed to create my own 'skin'. As many combos as there are for ship parts and existing skins, I just feel they aren't unique enough to want a physical model of.

BUT... What if the ships could be customized in a way similar to our toons - if we could change the dimensions and positions of the ship parts - AND the skin thing (approved of course, but template-based), I think people would love - and pay - to have a truly custom ship in the game and on their desk.

That being said, how hard would it be to print figurines of our captains or BOFFs as well? Even in a single color, I'd be interested in purchasing one, depending on the price.

The in-game toon-tuner is really great, if ship customization was offered (i.e., change saucer dimensions for X amount of Zen) it might generate some flow.

Four inch 3D-printed figurines - anyone else think that would be cool? How different is that from the offer being discussed?

• nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    corelogik wrote: »
    Let me know when we can print our captains too. In full color, in selected outfits.

Yeah. I would be interested in that too. There's probably 3 designs I'd consider purchasing (Eclipse, tier 5 and tier 6 Tal Shiar Adapted Destroyers). Maybe the Romulan Temporal Science ship or the Paradox. But price point WILL be an issue. I don't mind paying for a service, but I'm not going to be held hostage to my fondness for some of Cryptic's designs. I can take a LOT of screen shots without paying another cent.

At least the nasty tree-ring effect appears to have cleared up.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »

Better than whatever that monster they called a D7 in Discovery.

BINGO!
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    valoreah: Highly, highly doubt you will ever get the ability to color your starship. I would not hold my breath on that if I were you.

Well we can already paint it ourselves if we want or pay a premium & have them paint it. The only other option I can think of off the bat would be a colored resin. I think the ability is there to create Mirror Universe ships & all the extensions to ships like certain: Deflectors, Engines, & Shields. It's all about price point & profitability for Cryptic & this Mixed Dimensions while sculpting more personalized items.

corelogik: Let me know when we can print our captains too. In full color, in selected outfits.

I don't know why not except the template isn't ready for such yet &/or profitability. Other 3D companies have offered similar services for a few years now in creating a figurine of oneself in all sorts of scenarios, but the price is a premium & usually involves a personal laser scan. That could be supplemented with the character creation design coding similarly working like the starship customization just with more options & refinement.

• voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    nommo#5819 wrote: »
    valoreah: Highly, highly doubt you will ever get the ability to color your starship. I would not hold my breath on that if I were you.

Well we can already paint it ourselves if we want or pay a premium & have them paint it. The only other option I can think of off the bat would be a colored resin. I think the ability is there to create Mirror Universe ships & all the extensions to ships like certain: Deflectors, Engines, & Shields. It's all about price point & profitability for Cryptic & this Mixed Dimensions while sculpting more personalized items.

I think the original poster meant in game, as far as coloring starships. With regards to the 3d models, I would assume if you got the unpainted version, you could paint it whatever colors you want. So I can only assume the original comment meant with regards to the in-game ships.
    corelogik: Let me know when we can print our captains too. In full color, in selected outfits.

I don't know why not except the template isn't ready for such yet &/or profitability. Other 3D companies have offered similar services for a few years now in creating a figurine of oneself in all sorts of scenarios, but the price is a premium & usually involves a personal laser scan. That could be supplemented with the character creation design coding similarly working like the starship customization just with more options & refinement.

I would assume the "more options and refinement" is the "hold up". It is possible it is more complicated then we think, There are hurdles from CBS with regards to captains, or They just didn't think about captains at this time. Probably a combination of the first and last. From the livestream, it sounds like the idea of doing captains was at least considered a little, so maybe somewhere down the line. But then again, this sounds like this is Largely the EPs pet project, so my guess is when it wasn't a simple fix to do both, doing our captains was shelved in favor of getting the ships.

Doesn't mean we won't get it ever, There is clearly a demand for it, but my guess is it wasn't part of the immediate focus.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Coloring ships... because there aren't any sadistic jerks in this game who would paint their ships with assorted genitalia and then do donuts around EDS just to try and provoke people...

That idea is completely a non-starter.
  • cluetaincluetain Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    Ok Assuming this actually does become real, which I hope it does, is there any CHANCE we could get Smaller than 12"? I'm talking like 4-6 inches? I understand a loss of detail but @%!!% I want some of those ships for table top war gaming! And Maybe a Peregrine at 1/270? <.<;

Also the Iconian ships have empty spaces, good luck printing those! (Not saying don't try but maybe after this actually works)

PS: I will pay for Table top miniature sized ships. The other ones are too big for my tastes, but best of luck!
    PSS: have my captain from "Hero Forge," well not in official Maco armor but close enough for me.
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    cluetain wrote: »
    ...Also the Iconian ships have empty spaces, good luck printing those! (Not saying don't try but maybe after this actually works)...

Easy, use clear plastic for the printing, and then paint over that. Won't be 100% accurate, but until we have structural integrity fields for real...​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
    Ok Assuming this actually does become real, which I hope it does, is there any CHANCE we could get Smaller than 12"? I'm talking like 4-6 inches? I understand a loss of detail but @%!!% I want some of those ships for table top war gaming! And Maybe a Peregrine at 1/270? <.<;

Also the Iconian ships have empty spaces, good luck printing those! (Not saying don't try but maybe after this actually works)

PS: I will pay for Table top miniature sized ships. The other ones are too big for my tastes, but best of luck!
    PSS: have my captain from "Hero Forge," well not in official Maco armor but close enough for me.

They have said, for the moment, it is only 12 inch. Also Small craft (i.e. the Peregrine) is not possible.

As for the Iconian ships. They mentioned in the stream that there are approximately 10-15 ships, That are not included. They didn't mention which 15 specifically, but they mentioned that ships with "floating" parts, like the Herald Ships (again, they didn't mention any specifically, but I am assuming they are what they meant), are specifically not included because of how they are not possible with the process.
    edited February 2018
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    ...Also the Iconian ships have empty spaces, good luck printing those! (Not saying don't try but maybe after this actually works)...

Easy, use clear plastic for the printing, and then paint over that. Won't be 100% accurate, but until we have structural integrity fields for real...​​

That's a real good idea pertaining to the Iconian ships & any other that are designed in a similar fashion. The use of a clear plastic or glass rod connecting the ships parts I can see easily as a fix in most cases.

Overall, all this 3D printing is still in its juvenile stage for broad consumers' products so, with time, it will only get better meaning more options.

The key difference between what they're attempting here & a generic, for example, Chinese plastic version is the level of personalized detail of your piloted pixel STO ship.
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    ]
    valoreah wrote: »
    dharkman wrote: »
    It's interesting that we will be able to have 3-D ships on our desktops but your developers can not fix the simple ability to color our online ships. Yes, its a good idea but no if it means putting funds that can fix in game issues like painting ships or not having it stick but end up with grey ships having lines all around them.

Highly, highly doubt you will ever get the ability to color your starship. I would not hold my breath on that if I were you.

All I want is a few pattern options that let you paint the ENTIRE ship so I could have a bright red Kor bop as lets face it...every bop pilot wants to be the Red Baron
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Price tag on these come out, yet??
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    where2r1 wrote: »

Negative so far, but I expect more details, like price, to be released later this week or next week being March.
    burstorion wrote: »
    ]
    valoreah wrote: »
    dharkman wrote: »
    It's interesting that we will be able to have 3-D ships on our desktops but your developers can not fix the simple ability to color our online ships. Yes, its a good idea but no if it means putting funds that can fix in game issues like painting ships or not having it stick but end up with grey ships having lines all around them.

Highly, highly doubt you will ever get the ability to color your starship. I would not hold my breath on that if I were you.

All I want is a few pattern options that let you paint the ENTIRE ship so I could have a bright red Kor bop as lets face it...every bop pilot wants to be the Red Baron

There are various vanity shields which give diffferent hull options, Not sure if any of them are red, or even the "bright red" you are looking for but I would say check it out.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User

Negative so far, but I expect more details, like price, to be released later this week or next week being March.

Thanks. Will keep my eyes peeled... but pretty sure I will be going into sticker shock.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User

Not sure how well it compares, but looking around their website I found other things they sell. There's several 12" character figures, quite fancily painted (more work than I'd expect for a ship), for $450-600+.

So, yeah. Even with ships being simpler models & painting than those things, I'd be utterly surprised if it's anything less than $200-300.
  • mike1027#6494 mike1027 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I would like to see the NPC ships as well. They are already offering a number of ships that we will be able to just order and not actually have the ship in game. NPC ships are no different. This is basically a Star Trek online starship collection they should all be in their offer them in primed and full color Only no customization. Just my opinion
  • frost#9371 frost Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Will this only be for pc players or will those of us on PS4 ever get this?
  • mike1027#6494 mike1027 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    > @"frost#9371" said:
    > Will this only be for pc players or will those of us on PS4 ever get this?

i believe he said in the youtube video only for PC but to me it sounded like it will come to the consoles it will just take time. Put it this way after the first failed attempt at this printing your ship service i never thought we would get this service again. I won't believe it now until I see pricing and more info
    > @frost#9371 said:
    > Will this only be for pc players or will those of us on PS4 ever get this?

i believe he said in the youtube video only for PC but to me it sounded like it will come to the consoles it will just take time. Put it this way after the first failed attempt at this printing your ship service i never thought we would get this service again. I won't believe it now until I see pricing and more info

My guess (which means yes, I am just grasping at straws) is it has to do with how Mixed Dimensions gets the info for the ships. While keep in mind they did say NO account information would be transferred/accessible by Mixed Dimensions, The system by nature requires the game to share info with MD. From other games I play, Sony at least (and Probably Microsoft) is VERY protective of who has access to their servers/databases. So That might be why it is PC only. If I am correct, I would not hold my breath on it changing. Still, assuming this works out at all (yeah I am in the skeptical group. Once bitten and all that) I hope something can be worked out to get your personal ships for the console group.

In the meantime, Keep in mind there is suppose to be a non-custom version for about 20 of the "most popular" ships.
  • frost#9371 frost Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    > @voyagerfan9751 said:
    > mike1027#6494 wrote: »
    >
    > > @frost#9371 said:
    > > Will this only be for pc players or will those of us on PS4 ever get this?
    >
    > i believe he said in the youtube video only for PC but to me it sounded like it will come to the consoles it will just take time. Put it this way after the first failed attempt at this printing your ship service i never thought we would get this service again. I won't believe it now until I see pricing and more info
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > My guess (which means yes, I am just grasping at straws) is it has to do with how Mixed Dimensions gets the info for the ships. While keep in mind they did say NO account information would be transferred/accessible by Mixed Dimensions, The system by nature requires the game to share info with MD. From other games I play, Sony at least (and Probably Microsoft) is VERY protective of who has access to their servers/databases. So That might be why it is PC only. If I am correct, I would not hold my breath on it changing. Still, assuming this works out at all (yeah I am in the skeptical group. Once bitten and all that) I hope something can be worked out to get your personal ships for the console group.
    >
    > In the meantime, Keep in mind there is suppose to be a non-custom version for about 20 of the "most popular" ships.

Will the odyssey be 1 of the 20?
    frost#9371 wrote: »
    > @voyagerfan9751 said:
    > mike1027#6494 wrote: »
    >
    > > @frost#9371 said:
    > > Will this only be for pc players or will those of us on PS4 ever get this?
    >
    > i believe he said in the youtube video only for PC but to me it sounded like it will come to the consoles it will just take time. Put it this way after the first failed attempt at this printing your ship service i never thought we would get this service again. I won't believe it now until I see pricing and more info
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > My guess (which means yes, I am just grasping at straws) is it has to do with how Mixed Dimensions gets the info for the ships. While keep in mind they did say NO account information would be transferred/accessible by Mixed Dimensions, The system by nature requires the game to share info with MD. From other games I play, Sony at least (and Probably Microsoft) is VERY protective of who has access to their servers/databases. So That might be why it is PC only. If I am correct, I would not hold my breath on it changing. Still, assuming this works out at all (yeah I am in the skeptical group. Once bitten and all that) I hope something can be worked out to get your personal ships for the console group.
    >
    > In the meantime, Keep in mind there is suppose to be a non-custom version for about 20 of the "most popular" ships.

Will the odyssey be 1 of the 20?

They have not said what is or isn't one of the 20. Only That they are the most popular ones.