test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sensor-Linked vs. Coalition

Ok. I'm running with both and although all the buzz seems to spin towards sensor-linked beams, coalition still "feels" stronger to me in combat.

What are you seeing?

Also ... The sensor-linked phasers are not traditional phasers. Although I suspect the answer is yes ... Want to make sure.

I'm assuming the traditional fleet spire tac consoles of the same flavor also apply to these new weapons?
Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
" We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)

Comments

• jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I do not use Sensor-Linked weapons (though I have flipped some very inexpensive Emitter-Linked and Integrity-Linked weapons on the Exchange for a pretty decent profit). I'm sticking with either crafted or Coalition disruptors.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    Both of those have an element of luck to them, Coalition with it being a proc and Sensor-Linked needing a weapon Critical Hit to do anything. On top of that, there's a lot of moving parts in evaluating either of them. Coalition depends on how many weapons you have that are that type, the number fielded by your teammates, and how debuffed the target is from other sources. Sensor-linked depends on you Critical Hit values, and can be diluted by having a lot of Critical Damage and/or Category 2 damage (DPRM, DOMINO, Nukara 2-set, etc.) already.

Pending that the procs are still per-cycle, I wouldn't expect a large difference on average. If you were completely min-maxing I would expect you to have an average difference across a large number of runs, not 'feel' that one is better than the other, so just go with the one you like more. I've not noticed a large difference either way, but I've not been parsing, and not really running anything particularly parse-able anyways.

On the Sensor-Linked Phasers, they look like blue pulses for the Emitters and respond to anything that would effect a Phaser Beam (FAW, [Phaser], [Beam], Directed Energy buffs, etc.) but like the "-Linked" Disruptors, they have no proc. For the Cannons, they look virtually identical to TOS Phaser Cannons (blue blobs, but a different sort than the Emitters), and respond to standard Phaser Cannon buffs (CSV, [Phaser], [Cannon], Directed Energy buffs, etc.).
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    I changed from coalitions to sensor linked on two characters of mine and think I got a mild increase in dmg output. For me it’s hard to conclude any hard figures as we got a lot of power creep this season:

- cold hearted space trait
    - d.o.m.i.n.o. console
    - colony deflectors
    - mod reroll (incl. Dmg/CrtD at epic)
    - Duelist’s Fervor personal trait

I most likely forgot a few as I have a hard time to catch on. For a direct comparison between coalitions and sensor-linked one would need to either test them thoroughly or call in some reddit math geek to help. Unfortunately I don’t care enough for either atm. Nevertheless the damage increase resulting of all those assets combined is considerable. Doing Diamond DPS in casual pugs is more and more likely again nowadays.

The nerf gap of S13 is rapidly closing and sensor linked guns with ideal mods certainly play a part in that. Sweet they are also available as phasers. That is what I call "balance".
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,713 Community Moderator
    For me with these new linked weapons it basically comes down to this question: What do I value more for that build? Do I think the proc of the coalitions would be more beneficial, or the static buff of the linked weapon. Arguments can be made for either or but that's the big question I would ask is what is valued most. For me I haven't seen super huge increases vs other builds I have now such as my coalitions, but they're definitely fun to play with.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • alzleealzlee Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    My two cents is.. if its a proc 2.5% per firing cycle its almost never gonna happen. So don't rely on procs due to the fact that Devs killed it from evening happening (maybe 3 times the whole run if anything). I build where i don't have to depend on chance to buff me up.
  • alcaatrazalcaatraz Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    I changed from coalitions to sensor linked on two characters of mine and think I got a mild increase in dmg output. For me it’s hard to conclude any hard figures as we got a lot of power creep this season:

- cold hearted space trait
    - d.o.m.i.n.o. console
    - colony deflectors
    - mod reroll (incl. Dmg/CrtD at epic)
    - Duelist’s Fervor personal trait

I most likely forgot a few as I have a hard time to catch on. For a direct comparison between coalitions and sensor-linked one would need to either test them thoroughly or call in some reddit math geek to help. Unfortunately I don’t care enough for either atm. Nevertheless the damage increase resulting of all those assets combined is considerable. Doing Diamond DPS in casual pugs is more and more likely again nowadays.

The nerf gap of S13 is rapidly closing and sensor linked guns with ideal mods certainly play a part in that. Sweet they are also available as phasers. That is what I call "balance".

Don't forget we also had a proc chance change to be per cycle for when they roll rather than per shot.
    --- @alcaatraz || I make tanks and do maths stuffs ---
    "I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul."
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,296 Community Moderator
    edguN8y.png

By Grabthar's hammer, what a necro! /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.