test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New and confused.

I'm working on my first foundry mission and I've run into some problems.

First, it's going to be a Fed mission. I wanted the first door to be at the Eridan Belt. When I test ran it, I wasn't able to travel there. When I was in the Teneebia Sector, a dialog box told me that I couldn't travel outside Federation controlled space and my ship was thrown back to where it started. What's that all about?

My second problem is with map changing. Instead of going to the next map, my test character just jumps back to the map that I was trying to leave. Am I doing something wrong or is it broke? Is there a really good tutorial that addresses this?

Thanks
His methods have become unsound.

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    First rule of Foundry testing (at present): don't test from the beginning. ;)

Currently, there's a bug that prevents map transfers in the Foundry editor (published missions are fine.) If you try to start from the sector block, you won't be able to test your mission simply because you won't be able to leave there (this is also why you can't travel between your other maps. You'll have to test them individually.) :)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • javaman1969javaman1969 Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    Got it. Thanks.
  • theyredeadjimtheyredeadjim Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    You might consider publishing your mission on a private test basis, at important intervals during its development. This will show you how it will actually operate in the operating environment, which can be very useful if you attempt certain tricks and workarounds.

If you do choose to do a test publish, you should not incorporate any entry door identification in the hail info, and also indicate that you do not want people to test or rate your mission at this time. You'll also want to unpublish the mission once you have tested it, unless you deem it ready for broader exposure.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    You might consider publishing your mission on a private test basis, at important intervals during its development. This will show you how it will actually operate in the operating environment, which can be very useful if you attempt certain tricks and workarounds.

If you do choose to do a test publish, you should not incorporate any entry door identification in the hail info, and also indicate that you do not want people to test or rate your mission at this time. You'll also want to unpublish the mission once you have tested it, unless you deem it ready for broader exposure.

Honestly I've not had issues with people playing my test missions unless I've personally allowed them, not having a door indicated in the text and the description always having "test version" or words to that effect in the title seemed to be enough.
    I just published for testing. How long before it is listed?
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    I just published for testing. How long before it is listed?
    for the general list never if you don't get 5 reviews, it'll stay in the special "review" list. As for how long the publish process lasts for me it's generally been about 15 mins but that varies.

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

I personally do live plays of all mine after publish just because preview doesn't work quite right. Some issues are simple easier to find that way.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    I do my best editing after I push "publish".
    Last edits complete. Posted in the "Mission Database" board. Thanks for the help.