test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Jayce's Navy Interstellar - Through the Valley

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
A special report from Jayce's Navy Interstellar - the premiere source on in-depth starships news and features - on the retrofits to the Federation's flagship, the Enterprise F!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10804994

Comments

• Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    This was nice. I love Jayce's Navy Interstellar.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Hmmm great chance for a new flagship bundle... new T6.5 w/ dedicated flagship console set slots.
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    Nice, kinda late by 2 years but nice.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User

just got declassified...
  • Options
    nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    That was an entertaining read.
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    This was nice. I love Jayce's Navy Interstellar.​​

Plus 1.

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Very well done.

Enterprise being refit into a Yorktown is actually pretty recent. We haven't seen much of Enterprise since Midnight. Guess we know why now.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    "Enterprise" and "Yorktown" will forever be intertwined it seems :)
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User

Plus 1. :)
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    hdoggyhdoggy Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    Just another pece of BS fiction that has aliens saying Earth quotes instead of their own damned culture's quotes.

Stupid human-pandering trash.
  • Options
    kerare#5654 kerare Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    a epic attempt on the pos for many.... but perhaps a historian and lover of the poems thinking of that time. it was a interesting read up to the improper context of the "borrowed Poem" there Shon lol for 1 it implied like the light brigade in the poem- the battle of second earth and the final charge to stop it was a blunder and a terrible mistake! pointing out as used in the epic poem inspired from a news article of the time that someone blundered and ordered the brave lads to their death. though it respects the bravery of the riders, courage of soldiers,that vividly describes many spectres of war in all their glory and horror... the message was that the high command failed epicly to even order the charge, and surely star fleet is more enlightened than that. and the gallant efforts in the battle of earth could have been placed in a better context than foolhearthy, murderous and inept....or maybe using qoutes from the past out of context of the time, or lines from other works better understood... just should be added as a topic of concern for temporal command ;)
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    a epic attempt on the pos for many.... but perhaps a historian and lover of the poems thinking of that time. it was a interesting read up to the improper context of the "borrowed Poem" there Shon lol for 1 it implied like the light brigade in the poem- the battle of second earth and the final charge to stop it was a blunder and a terrible mistake! pointing out as used in the epic poem inspired from a news article of the time that someone blundered and ordered the brave lads to their death. though it respects the bravery of the riders, courage of soldiers,that vividly describes many spectres of war in all their glory and horror... the message was that the high command failed epicly to even order the charge, and surely star fleet is more enlightened than that. and the gallant efforts in the battle of earth could have been placed in a better context than foolhearthy, murderous and inept....or maybe using qoutes from the past out of context of the time, or lines from other works better understood... just should be added as a topic of concern for temporal command ;)

Yeah, I have to say, when I heard the line in "Midnight", in my head I heard Tuvok going, "A poem about a wasteful and unsuccessful frontal attack against the wrong target using the wrong type of troops, resulting from unclear orders given by incompetent leaders."

Which means it should have been quoted in "Broken Circle" instead. >:)
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    starswordc
    Yeah, I have to say, when I heard the line in "Midnight", in my head I heard Tuvok going, "A poem about a wasteful and unsuccessful frontal attack against the wrong target using the wrong type of troops, resulting from unclear orders given by incompetent leaders."

exactly ,because simple re typing the word of the past like following then blindly we reach the same result. if we do not understand the meaning we simply repeat the same mistakes. a good effort and nice article up to that point and like "midnight" apparently still missing the point.
  • Options
    I think when he used that in Midnight, he was well aware of it and we did see Enterprise charging right at the Iconians. Could be less about the source and more about the fact they're charging into battle and it seemed fitting.

Hearing it again here... he must like Earth poetry, especially anything related to military history.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,392 Arc User
    hdoggy wrote: »
    Just another pece of BS fiction that has aliens saying Earth quotes instead of their own damned culture's quotes.

Stupid human-pandering trash.
    If you don't know the alien culture, what will you learn about the quotes if it's not given a cultural translation?

That's right, nothing.
    Even on current Earth, sometimes, you look at an idiom from another culture/language and you're like "Wait, what?" if you don't have the context. Heck, even in context, it can be confusing.

Would it be fun to read something like:
    Deltan: Well, this project is going so well it feels like C15's Mordritch!
    Human: Err, you mean it's going very well?
    Deltan: No, I was being sarcastic... Oh, right, you don't know! Mordritch is a famous volcano that destroyed 2 cities and permanently filled a vital fishing lake in our 15th century that endangered the whole county around it for years.
    Human: Oh, so you mean...
    Deltan: This project is going so wrong our situation has become completely FUBAR, as you humans say."

for every culture quotes appearing in a text?

Quotes from alien cultures mostly have 2 purposes in a story:
    -comedy, because no human in the story and meta understands it and it causes funny issues (declaration of war, punches, screams, hero being sentenced to death, etc.)
    -drama, because no human in the story and meta understands it and it causes unfunny issues (declaration of war, punches, screams, hero being sentenced to death, etc.)
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Is this a prelude to new version of the Star Cruisers being released?
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    well given most of shons other lines in game he would do better sticking to fight club quotes lol it more fits his culture. overall a long read and little actual insight to whats coming. altho fubar could also be a shon catch phrase for the same reasons
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    If you don't know the alien culture, what will you learn about the quotes if it's not given a cultural translation?
    Same with aliens and human quotes.
    That's right, nothing.
    Even on current Earth, sometimes, you look at an idiom from another culture/language and you're like "Wait, what?" if you don't have the context. Heck, even in context, it can be confusing.
    Yes, and why aren't there more non-Earthlings that do that? No, all of them know human culture inside and out. Despite human culture seeming to be the most developed culture. If anything, that would confuse and bewilder aliens, as they seem to have far simpler cultures. They wouldn't be used to it.

Would it be fun to read something like:
    Deltan: Well, this project is going so well it feels like C15's Mordritch!
    Human: Err, you mean it's going very well?
    Deltan: No, I was being sarcastic... Oh, right, you don't know! Mordritch is a famous volcano that destroyed 2 cities and permanently filled a vital fishing lake in our 15th century that endangered the whole county around it for years.
    Human: Oh, so you mean...
    Deltan: This project is going so wrong our situation has become completely FUBAR, as you humans say."
    How would the Deltan know the human saying quicker than the human understanding the Deltan saying? Are you implying that humans are naturally culturally-illiterate? That doesn't make any sense, considering that, again, humans seem to have a much more diverse cultural pool in their own world compared to other, less diverse worlds.
    for every culture quotes appearing in a text?

Quotes from alien cultures mostly have 2 purposes in a story:
    -comedy, because no human in the story and meta understands it and it causes funny issues (declaration of war, punches, screams, hero being sentenced to death, etc.)
    -drama, because no human in the story and meta understands it and it causes unfunny issues (declaration of war, punches, screams, hero being sentenced to death, etc.)
    Purposes in-story are irrelevant. We're talking about matters of continuity and immersion here.

Again, human-pandering trash.
  • Options
    takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    Very interesting to see the Enterprise got a Yorktown refit.

Did the BortaSqu' or the Lleiset get refit into one of their upgrade types, or do they still retain their base hull designs? I personally can see the BortaSqu' at least getting upgraded to a Martok - the Martok, apart from hull changes, essentially follows typical Klingon design philosophy: 'just strap more guns to it!' So yeah, the Klingon Flagship getting a new hull design and more guns makes a lot of sense to me. :)
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,392 Arc User
    hdoggy wrote: »
    Purposes in-story are irrelevant. We're talking about matters of continuity and immersion here.
    Again, human-pandering trash.
    Star Trek was always like that.

Mostly because it's written by humans for humans for pretty obvious reasons. More "immersion" isn't always a good thing.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    lordgyor wrote: »
    Is this a prelude to new version of the Star Cruisers being released?

No, because we ALREADY have the T6 Ody. Story wise Enterprise just got the Yorktown refit.
  • Options
    Star Trek was always like that.
    tHat doesn't mean that STO has to repeat the same mistakes. The Trek property can grow just like any other property. This is demonstrated by instances of actually growing. "But X was always like that" isn't a good excuse.
    Mostly because it's written by humans for humans for pretty obvious reasons.
    Yes, and as humans, we can examine and sympathize with the viewpoints of fictional species. So what?
    More "immersion" isn't always a good thing.
    Can you demonstrate this claim? It doesn't seem plausible, at least not for good reasons.
  • Options
    gothkid1972gothkid1972 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    starswordc

exactly ,because simple re typing the word of the past like following then blindly we reach the same result. if we do not understand the meaning we simply repeat the same mistakes. a good effort and nice article up to that point and like "midnight" apparently still missing the point.

That was the point. Shon, and the others knew they were "foolishly" charging to their deaths. They didnt know at the time "your" captain was going to save the day, they believed that it was the end. In all honesty it made perfect sense to make that quote.

The only poem that might have fit as well was, "Rendezvous with Death", by Alan Seeger...

"But I’ve a rendezvous with Death
    At midnight in some flaming town,
    When Spring trips north again this year,
    And I to my pledged word am true,
    I shall not fail that rendezvous."

Both show knowledge of death, but the Light Brigade is a groups death, and not just your own...or even you and your crews...it references the starship as the steed, and all those ships and crews charging right at the guns of an enemy they have no hope of beating. Foolishly, Stupidly, even Suicidally...but obeying their oaths...
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    https://youtu.be/n9-_Uf8ThBM

This is the original T6 Odysessy video made by ZEfilms Productions, so the one in the in the blog post is the second video showing off the T6 Odysessys.

I still think this is a prelude to something.

They also did a JAYCE'S NAVY INTERSTELLAR issue on the Odyssey retrofit.

I wish JAYCE'S NAVY INTERSTELLAR was a real Maganize I could buy for STO.
  • Options
    carguy1701#7145 carguy1701 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    I hate to be 'that guy', but...

The 1701-A being re-christened Enterprise from Yorktown technically isn't canon. It stems from a comment Gene Roddenberry made in passing shortly after Star Trek IV came out. They've never stated whether or not the A was a new build or a re-christening.
  • Options

The 1701-A being re-christened Enterprise from Yorktown technically isn't canon. It stems from a comment Gene Roddenberry made in passing shortly after Star Trek IV came out. They've never stated whether or not the A was a new build or a re-christening.

Its popular and has been used in a few soft canon sources so... its generally accepted by now that Enterprise-A was formerly the Yorktown.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    starswordc

That was the point. Shon, and the others knew they were "foolishly" charging to their deaths. They didnt know at the time "your" captain was going to save the day, they believed that it was the end. In all honesty it made perfect sense to make that quote.

The only poem that might have fit as well was, "Rendezvous with Death", by Alan Seeger...

"But I’ve a rendezvous with Death
    At midnight in some flaming town,
    When Spring trips north again this year,
    And I to my pledged word am true,
    I shall not fail that rendezvous."

Both show knowledge of death, but the Light Brigade is a groups death, and not just your own...or even you and your crews...it references the starship as the steed, and all those ships and crews charging right at the guns of an enemy they have no hope of beating. Foolishly, Stupidly, even Suicidally...but obeying their oaths...

I think you and @somtaawkhar need a refresher course on the actual sortie at the Battle of Balaclava that inspired the poem. It was equally inappropriate for "Sacrifice of Angels"* and speaks more to the incompetence of the British Army's "old boys' club" through approximately World War I than to any particular heroism deserving of immortalization by Tennyson.
    The guy in charge of the front, a fellow named Lord FitzRoy Somerset, 1st Baron Raglan, is too old for the post, and it's showing from day one as their logistics are completely FUBAR. The British Army nearly starved to death that war because nothing but salt meat was delivered to the trenches (a foodstuff that will last for decades and has almost no nutritional value whatsoever), yet there was months of vegetables, rice, and grain stocked up at the port of Sevastopol and their own allies the French had built their own bakeries behind the lines to feed their own forces. They weren't even properly delivering winter coats, which for some reason is typical of Germanic peoples who invade Russia (Hitler was about the fifth guy to fall to General Winter in four centuries, you'd think somebody would've noticed that Russia has basically one play by then).

In addition, Raglan is dealing with an inter-unit rivalry between two of the other upper-class twits who ran the Army:
    • George Charles Bingham, 3rd Earl Lucan. He's overall commander of British cavalry and the very model of a modern major general if you'll pardon the Gilbert and Sullivan reference: a fine peacetime commander who outfitted his Heavy Brigade troops himself to the tune of 11,000 pounds sterling a year, spending more on uniforms than most of his men were actually paid if you can believe it. Has an opportunity on day one to pursue and chop up a Russian army retreating in disarray, and completely ignores it.
    • James Brudenell, 7th Earl Cardigan, and Lucan's brother-in-law, and neither of them can stand the other. He's commander of the Light Brigade, and seems to think cavalry combat little different than fox-hunting. Raglan doesn't have the will to deal decisively with this, instead trying to keep them apart. Cardigan being Lucan's direct subordinate, you can imagine how good that was for the chain of command.

Now, October 25, 1854. Because Lucan sat on his rear instead of attacking, the Russians have reorganized and are counterattacking: in fact they've captured several British artillery positions. This is not just bad because they can turn the cannons around and shoot at you, but it's also a matter of prestige. So Raglan orders the Light Brigade to attack, only his orders are impressively vague.
    Lord Raglan wishes the Cavalry to advance rapidly to the front -- follow the enemy and try to prevent the enemy carrying the guns. Troops Horse artillery may accompany. French cavalry is on your left. Immediate.

Notice no specifying of which guns he's talking about. This proved fatal when the order was handed to Captain Lewis Edward Nolan, a guy who Sueified cavalry the way Roddenberry Stuified Wesley Crusher. Bear in mind, again, it's 1854, and rifled muskets and cannon are starting to become common, as are explosive shells: the age of chivalric cavalry charges is just about over. Nolan didn't listen to his detractors, and to make matters worse he's (rightly) got a chip on his shoulder about Lucan and Cardigan ignoring various opportunities, and so he races down to the Light Brigade swearing to lead the attack himself.

Only instead of interpreting the order as to attack the troops that have occupied the British positions, he tells Lord Lucan that Raglan means to attack a Russian position on the complete other end of the valley. Cardigan, seemingly so unwilling to speak to Lucan that he doesn't object, obeys without question. Nolan gets hit in the chest with a shell fragment and dies before the charge even begins because the Russkies see them forming up and can't pass up such a perfect target, and the Light Brigade charges through the Russian-captured artillery positions, and because they were just that good a few of them actually manage to reach Nolan's target.

For a few minutes. Then Russian cavalry counterattacked and sent them running back through the gauntlet, leaving 166 men and 261 horses dead on the field.
    To sum it up, the Light Brigade suffered 27% casualties, attacking the wrong target, at the will of a bunch of inbred aristocrats who couldn't find their own butt cheeks if they'd had the Enterprise-F's main sensor array handy. Just like the Alliance was sold up the river by Captain Kagran of the House of Whatever back in "Broken Circle" so he could babble about honor and songs and ballads and all kinds of targ dung the dead don't give half a hump about, instead of him being focused on winning the war. So yeah, quoting "The Charge of the Light Brigade" is appropriate, just not in the way the writers of that mission intended. We the player characters are the best of the best, and we were commanded to throw the whole damn war away by a Klingon who managed to be both Lord Raglan and Captain Nolan at the same time.

* BTW, that episode actually used the "quoting stuff for drama" trope correctly: it's the humans quoting it and the aliens don't have a damn clue what they're talking about other than that it's hardly helpful to their mood.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Its popular and has been used in a few soft canon sources so... its generally accepted by now that Enterprise-A was formerly the Yorktown.

It's in the TNG Technical Manual and the USS Enterprise Haynes Manual, both were written with input by the Okudas, so it's basically canon in my book. I do like how the old hull of the Odyssey-class Yorktown was rebuilt as the Yorktown prototype. This was similar to the USS Constellation being built into the new brand new USS Constellation in the early 19th Century US Navy.