test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why Bother?

mobulismobulis Member Posts: 34 Arc User
As far as I can tell 23c skills have the same effect as regular, so why get them?

Comments

• gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Sounds like a bug.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    For the TOS visuals. Same reason my TOS captain wears a TOS uniform, uses TOS weapons, has TOS boffs, and knows that Shatner Kirk captain is best captain :)
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Some have a different sound or visual effect, but it seems most don't.

However, there is one value in them: You can get Rank III skills without being able to train them or without acquiring them from other players. Whether that is actually useful probably depends on market prices and patience.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    mobulis wrote: »
    As far as I can tell 23c skills have the same effect as regular, so why get them?

23c skills serve the same purpose as tailor unlocks.

23c Space barbie.

You have to have the 23c dream house and 23c Space skills. You cant play 23c Space barbie with 25c Space skills, that would be like matching her to 25c Ken, That would be like you want her dating her Grandson, Yuk.
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    mobulis wrote: »

23c skills serve the same purpose as tailor unlocks.

23c Space barbie.

You have to have the 23c dream house and 23c Space skills. You cant play 23c Space barbie with 25c Space skills, that would be like matching her to 25c Ken, That would be like you want her dating her Grandson, Yuk.

...Do I need to bring up Bashir in DS9: "Trials and Tribble-ations"? :p

Seriously, though, it's mostly a cosmetic thing. The game even still treats them like their 25c. counterparts in terms of buffs, debuffs, DOff buffs, what kit modules can be equipped, etc.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...