test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please help me Decode this Transmission!!

I need help to decode the file to win Gordie!! I want this officer so bad but don't even know where to began to try to decode it...... I'm not asking for the code just please tell me where to start and I will do the rest!!

Comments

• midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    Try looking at the spectral frequency of the audio!
  • fishnoobfishnoob Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    Thank you!!! I believe I got it!!
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,844 Arc User
    decode? all you had to do is retweet???
    Spock.jpg

I sent it in but have not heard back..... Did i get it wrong or will it just take longer to hear?
    it say email us your answers at community@crypticstudios.com with the subject line "STODecoded" for a chance to win a Geordi Bridge Officer on your choice of platform!.... I emailed it to them at 5pm
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    You probably won't get a reply unless you win
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    I'm not sure how the contest works (10 people only win? Everyone who enters the correct answer wins? etc.), but obviously the OP is a huge fan of Geordi (look at his avatar for goodness sake).

So if the contest has a limited number of winner, @ambassadorkael#6946 any chance of just giving the OP a Geordi BOff? I mean there's nothing more frustrating than seeing people who are kind of 'meh' about getting one, end up winning, while people who really want it, come up empty.

He can have my chance at it, if that's what it takes. :)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    I'm not sure how the contest works (10 people only win? Everyone who enters the correct answer wins? etc.), but obviously the OP is a huge fan of Geordi (look at his avatar for goodness sake).

So if the contest has a limited number of winner, @ambassadorkael#6946 any chance of just giving the OP a Geordi BOff? I mean there's nothing more frustrating than seeing people who are kind of 'meh' about getting one, end up winning, while people who really want it, come up empty.

He can have my chance at it, if that's what it takes. :)

I agree! He can have my chance too, but I never win contests so that won't help :)
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    a chance to win... they dont say how many. could very well be only 1 winner or 10k. /shrug

you probably wont get a reply unless you win for them to give you a choice to select platform. they will also probably publish the emails of the winners. the instructions makes no request for your name anything about your choice of platform... just says to email the answer to the email address with the subject line.
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    Most content and giveaways are kind of a dud.. I won something once, was suppose to show up in my c-store so I could claim it.. Never showed up. Messaged about it, gave tickets, messaged Kael who said I'd won it.. Never got a reply.

Never got the thing I won either, but atleast I got a message saying I won?.. So.. That's something.
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    edited February 2018
    Most content and giveaways are kind of a dud.. I won something once, was suppose to show up in my c-store so I could claim it.. Never showed up. Messaged about it, gave tickets, messaged Kael who said I'd won it.. Never got a reply.

Never got the thing I won either, but atleast I got a message saying I won?.. So.. That's something.

That's...certainly odd. Message me please?

@fishnoob, send me a message. We'll talk.
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    Can we ALL talk and get a holo BOFF just for asking pretty please with a cherry on top? tiger-2.gif​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    personally I dont want the boff I just wanna know what the hell the message was and how it was decoded
    edited February 2018
    Can we ALL talk and get a holo BOFF just for asking pretty please with a cherry on top? tiger-2.gif​​

You need to change your forum avatar to Geordi first :)

edited February 2018
    personally I dont want the boff I just wanna know what the hell the message was and how it was decoded

you load the audio clip into audio program to display it's spectral frequency and it'll show the name.
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    edited February 2018

I'm sure the winner has been picked already, so there's probably no harm in telling you now...

The answer was...
    FinR2u2.png
    The message was hidden in the sound file the same way that Aphex Twin hid a picture of his face at the end of one of his tracks. Venetian Snares did something similar with a cat picture. Being a fan of James this was naturally the first thing I tried.

It's explained nicely here, but in a nutshell if you do a Fourier analysis* of a sound and plot frequency against time you can get a visual representation of a sound as you can see in the answer. If you run it in reverse you can convert an image into a sound, however if you do this with anything but the most simplistic picture you get a terrible racket (which is why it fit right in with Aphex Twin).

*Where you take a signal, e.g. a sound, and break it down into its various component frequencies rather like how a prism splits light into its component colours.
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    Q9BWcdD.png
    Well I got the answer right at lest and it's very cool of you to support me and the tip I got really helped thank you all! I will just hope I get lucky :smile: I will up date if I hear back from them!
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    pity I got here after badmoon
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    pity I got here after badmoon

Sorry guys. I got word that the contest was over after I did my edits. Y'all can repost your answers and carry on.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    I tried using my Lil Orphan Annie decoder ring but all it said was, "Drink more Ovaltine."
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
    edited February 2018
    This was the contest for a Geordie LaForge bridge officer, see NEWS and the GNN subforum. You needed to decode an audio clip.

The answer was LEAH BRAHMS, as posted earlier before bmr de-spoilered the posts.
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    This was the contest for a Geordie LaForge bridge officer, see NEWS and the GNN subforum. You needed to decode an audio clip.

The answer was LEAH BRAHMS, as posted earlier before bmr de-spoilered the posts.

So where is my reward? Some of us got right. Shall we write a ticket? Anyone got the holo boff from cryptic yet?​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
    The blog did say for a CHANCE to win, not that everyone who got it right would win. According to the updated blog, the winner has been chosen, but the name has yet to be revealed.
    GrWzQke.png

So where is my reward? Some of us got right. Shall we write a ticket? Anyone got the holo boff from cryptic yet?​​

was chance to win... so unless they contacted you, you didn't win. I think the winner was the 1st person to respond correctly... like 5 to 10 mins once the site was updated. Yeah 1 winner only and 1st to get right answer.
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »

was chance to win... so unless they contacted you, you didn't win. I think the winner was the 1st person to respond correctly... like 5 to 10 mins once the site was updated. Yeah 1 winner only and 1st to get right answer.

I like how they waited a full day to tell us when they knew who the winner was ten minutes in....long before the OP of this thread, now that I think of it. Don't think I'll be bothering with future events like this unless they clearly spell out how the winner is determined, or if it goes to everyone who crosses the finish line on time (the way most companies do giveaways of small items like this). I found and submitted the correct answer....but I had already lost before I even saw the post and didn't know it.
    Ok, this looks like it's about to turn into a bunch of complaining about something fun the CM tried to do for the community during a lengthy downtime, so I'm just going to close it before it goes there. Thanks for participating everyone. :)
    GrWzQke.png
This discussion has been closed.