test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What species of boff not available would you be most interested in?

Comments

• berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    > @baddmoonrizin said:
    > I've never understood why we have playable Benzites, but no Benzite BOFFs.

All the parts are available in the alien gen options. One of my KDF captains had a Benzite, just for kicks.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    Cardassian
    It's gotta be the spoonheads- considering their role in the Dominion War they have been woefully under-represented. You can already have Jem'Hadar and Breen bridge officers, so why are the Cardassians off-limits?
  • silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    Other
    It's gotta be the spoonheads- considering their role in the Dominion War they have been woefully under-represented. You can already have Jem'Hadar and Breen bridge officers, so why are the Cardassians off-limits?
    At a guess, I'd say it's because in terms of the Cardassian Arc storyline, The Player doesn't come across any plot points where it would make sense for a Cardassian to want to join the crew. Remember, the Jem'Hadar is essentially ordered by the Founder to be the character's minder, and during Cold Comfort, the Breen medic says about Breen who wish to defect (same as how after Cutting the Cord, one of Obisek's freedom fighters wants to join the crew) The only Cardassian I can think of who we encounter who would plausibly make a new crew member, is the Cardassian scientist The Player pics up at the beginning of Sunrise. On the flipside of that argument, I also think it would be nice if we could simply recruit a Cardassian boff, just like we can Klingon boffs. It also wouldn't surprize me if the upcoming DS-9 expansion added Cardassian boffs (fingers crossed :sunglasses: )
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Other
    What about the most annoying race in the alpha quad the Zakdorn? Though i would love to see the Zalkonian and how their transformation is going. I also just liked how the Zalkonian ships looked.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Cardassian
    Cardassians seem cool, very militarized culture so would be perfect for a wartime situation. Plus I would pay latinum to watch the fireworks between Bajorans and Cardassians stuck on the same ship together :D
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
      Elachi
      bergins wrote: »
      > @baddmoonrizin said:
      > I've never understood why we have playable Benzites, but no Benzite BOFFs.

All the parts are available in the alien gen options. One of my KDF captains had a Benzite, just for kicks.

Alien Benzites always seem off-color to me though. I have one, but he is very pale, maybe needs to report to sickbay...
      My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
      Other
      At a guess, I'd say it's because in terms of the Cardassian Arc storyline, The Player doesn't come across any plot points where it would make sense for a Cardassian to want to join the crew. Remember, the Jem'Hadar is essentially ordered by the Founder to be the character's minder, and during Cold Comfort, the Breen medic says about Breen who wish to defect (same as how after Cutting the Cord, one of Obisek's freedom fighters wants to join the crew) The only Cardassian I can think of who we encounter who would plausibly make a new crew member, is the Cardassian scientist The Player pics up at the beginning of Sunrise. On the flipside of that argument, I also think it would be nice if we could simply recruit a Cardassian boff, just like we can Klingon boffs. It also wouldn't surprize me if the upcoming DS-9 expansion added Cardassian boffs (fingers crossed :sunglasses: )

That's because the 'revamped' Cardassian Arc is little more than an introduction for the Terran Empire and New Link; the Cardassians/True Way only feature in the first mission and a few minutes of the second. The old Cardassian Arc involved aiding a Cardassian colony and helping the new government against the True Way and would have been better to introduce Cardassian BOffs with.

On the flipside, half the time my 'aliens' end up Cardassians or Jem'hadar, so what can I say?
      Cardassians seem cool, very militarized culture so would be perfect for a wartime situation. Plus I would pay latinum to watch the fireworks between Bajorans and Cardassians stuck on the same ship together :D

That would depend on the Bajorans and Cardassians, I'd like to think (but would probably be wrong). After all, Kira in season seven of DS9 proved that some Bajorans were beginning to see Cardassians as people instead of 'former oppressors'... and I think there was that group of Cardassian orphans who grew up on Bajor, wasn't there? They'd certainly have a unique point of view on Cardassian/Bajoran relations...
      "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
      ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
      Other

That's because the 'revamped' Cardassian Arc is little more than an introduction for the Terran Empire and New Link; the Cardassians/True Way only feature in the first mission and a few minutes of the second. The old Cardassian Arc involved aiding a Cardassian colony and helping the new government against the True Way and would have been better to introduce Cardassian BOffs with.

On the flipside, half the time my 'aliens' end up Cardassians or Jem'hadar, so what can I say?
      Nothing wrong with having a preference, I have a weakness for Orion females (even if they are only aliengen costume loads) :sunglasses:

Damn, that original Cardassian Arc sounds much better, and as you say, would definitely have provided the right setting for a Cardassian to want to join the crew... Perhaps the DS-9 revamp will reintroduce some of those elements :sunglasses:

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
      edited February 2018
      Other

Nothing wrong with having a preference, I have a weakness for Orion females (even if they are only aliengen costume loads) :sunglasses:

Damn, that original Cardassian Arc sounds much better, and as you say, would definitely have provided the right setting for a Cardassian to want to join the crew... Perhaps the DS-9 revamp will reintroduce some of those elements :sunglasses:

Thinking of it, I probably Alien-Gen 'Cardassians' for the same reason a lot of us want them as an actual Captain/BOff race; they just have so much character...

Yep, the old arc was great (at least IMHO); instead of the True Way already having the Orb of Possibilities, they literally stole it from Cardassia while you were there on a goodwill mission for the Cardassian government to return it to Bajor (the Terran Empire then steals it from them and uses it to try and enter our universe and conquer DS9, which you stop and then hunt down the leader of the Terran Empire forces, James O'Brien, the 'Son of Smiley' and defeat him before he can redirect the wormhole to the Mirror Universe as a doorway for further invasion); the True Way tried to take over the colony of Goralis III by taking control of growing a plant that was the only cure for a Cardassian disease and only grew on the colony, but the player stops them, then you attacked Empok Nor to take Gul Madred himself into custody only to discover he was simply the public leader of the True Way and further on found out that a noted half-Bajoran, half-Cardassian peace activist was actually Dukat's daughter (from his time as leader of the Cult of the Pah-Wraiths on Empok Nor) was the real leader of the group as part of a plan to complete her father's works and release the Pah-Wraiths from the Fire Caves.

Ironically enough, despite having an excellent storyline, it was reduced to what we have now because a dozen missions was apparently 'too long' for a story arc and it got cut down to four like most of the others....
      "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
      ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
    • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      Vorta
      As someone who played the entirety of the old Cardassian arc.... it was mostly filler. Sure you did a lot of cool things, but... there was even more stuff where you went somewhere to find out you needed to go somewhere else...
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
      Other

Thinking of it, I probably Alien-Gen 'Cardassians' for the same reason a lot of us want them as an actual Captain/BOff race; they just have so much character...

Yep, the old arc was great (at least IMHO); instead of the True Way already having the Orb of Possibilities, they literally stole it from Cardassia while you were there on a goodwill mission for the Cardassian government to return it to Bajor (the Terran Empire then steals it from them and uses it to try and enter our universe and conquer DS9, which you stop and then hunt down the leader of the Terran Empire forces, James O'Brien, the 'Son of Smiley' and defeat him before he can redirect the wormhole to the Mirror Universe as a doorway for further invasion); the True Way tried to take over the colony of Goralis III by taking control of growing a plant that was the only cure for a Cardassian disease and only grew on the colony, but the player stops them, then you attacked Empok Nor to take Gul Madred himself into custody only to discover he was simply the public leader of the True Way and further on found out that a noted half-Bajoran, half-Cardassian peace activist was actually Dukat's daughter (from his time as leader of the Cult of the Pah-Wraiths on Empok Nor) was the real leader of the group as part of a plan to complete her father's works and release the Pah-Wraiths from the Fire Caves.

Ironically enough, despite having an excellent storyline, it was reduced to what we have now because a dozen missions was apparently 'too long' for a story arc and it got cut down to four like most of the others....
      They do indeed... I created an aliengen Cardassian tac boff the other day, and she immediately became a (near)permanent away team member

jNo6MPX.jpg

(except for when I want to use the Class of 2410 for the lulz) :sunglasses:

That definitely sounds like a good Arc, and way more fun than the torture which is Of Bajor (I loathe that mission)

• adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 260 Arc User
      Deltan. I have 2 Deltan duty officers......Why? they make me all giddy when I am around them....
      Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
      Other

They do indeed... I created an aliengen Cardassian tac boff the other day, and she immediately became a (near)permanent away team member

jNo6MPX.jpg

(except for when I want to use the Class of 2410 for the lulz) :sunglasses:

That definitely sounds like a good Arc, and way more fun than the torture which is Of Bajor (I loathe that mission)

Oh, no, the 4400 FE series, including "Of Bajor" was still there. But I do agree that it (and many of the other FE missions) could be tightened up. They are, to be honest, starting to show their age (They're between five and eight years old, if my memory is certain, after all...)
      As someone who played the entirety of the old Cardassian arc.... it was mostly filler. Sure you did a lot of cool things, but... there was even more stuff where you went somewhere to find out you needed to go somewhere else...

Yeah, but if you remember, most of the older missions were like that and the FE series are still like that ("Of Bajor", as mentioned, half the Devidian FE series is traveling between Drozana and Granalda/K-7, or how about "Cold Case" with its back and forth across the old Orellius Sector Block?). It doesn't mean they couldn't have kept some of the more popular elements of the old missions when they revamped the story arc. I know some people will disagree, but I liked having some of the old 'filler' missions like helping Goralis III in the Cardassian Arc or Q Jr's little interrupting our dealing with the modern Borg and sending us back to Wolf 359 to make sure Sisko made it off Saratoga, the little missions that weren't integral parts of an overall storyline, but were still fun to play because of it.

Back onto the original topic, somewhat... Actually, anyone notice what species I haven't seen mentioned? Deferi, which is interesting considering that they were the first race actually created specifically for STO... And there's at least one Deferi who's joined up with one of the factions; the Llieset's CMO... forget his name... so there is a degree of precedent there for Deferi BOffs...
    • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      Vorta
      the old Cardie arc... was fun once. it got tedious fast.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • davidfenrisdavidfenris Member Posts: 14 Arc User
      Other
      Rather than getting new (non-customizeable) ones, I'd prefer getting the chance to customize the non-customizeable we already have (and maybe getting the chance to finally kick Tovan off my BOff board).
      OmAl3agm.png
    • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
      Elachi
      I didn't have that much dislike for the old Cardi arc, but some of the missions were indeed long-ish without much in terms of gameplay to keep you entertained. But agreed, it had some interesting storylines and characters and did not feel as rushed (in-game wise, not production-wise), and above all it had Cardassians, which is nice in a "Cardassian" arc. I still think some of them could be reintroduced, maybe streamlined a bit, similar to other gone arcs (Romulus comes to mind. Saturday's Child e. g. was nice. I don't miss Divide et Impera too much though).

But in general there was a lot of hostility against said arc, mostly because missions could go on for half an hour I think.

As for others mentioned: I don't dislike "Of Bajor" that much. It doesn't have that much replay value and the "Talk to DS9" cutscenes are unskippable, bit if you know which assignments to avoid (don't help the gardener!), it is quite relaxed.

"Cold Case" is indeed somewhat annoying, flying system to system, not doing enough in it to get a cooldown on slipstream, getting two loading screens for three interactions or one battle against three frigates ... final map/battle is nice though, the Breen can mess you up with their cold AoE if you stay inside the cave.

I like "Cold Comfort" though. Old, no real replay value, but AFAIK the only non combat mission in the game. Would be sad to see it go.
      My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
      Vorta
      xyquarze wrote: »
      I like "Cold Comfort" though. Old, no real replay value, but AFAIK the only non combat mission in the game. Would be sad to see it go.

Spin the Wheel is another non-combat mission, also almost as short as Cold Comfort.
      tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
    • kahlest1kahlest1 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
      Other
      I chose other because I have always wanted Jaylah as a Boff since Star Trek: Beyond. There is no name for her species, but I think she would make an excellent Boff.
      Other
      kahlest1 wrote: »
      I chose other because I have always wanted Jaylah as a Boff since Star Trek: Beyond. There is no name for her species, but I think she would make an excellent Boff.

This was the closest I could get via aliengen...
      q6wgQNe.jpg

Other

q6wgQNe.jpg

Skintone looks a little off (to me), but beyond (ha-ha) that, very accurate... How did you do it?
      Other

q6wgQNe.jpg

Skintone looks a little off (to me), but beyond (ha-ha) that, very accurate... How did you do it?

Yes, the skintone is off, as Jaylah's skin was literally paper-white, but the aliengen doesn't give that option :lol: The closest I could do, was F13, which is actually in the blue scale. P13, which one would think would be correct, being in the grey scale, actually has a pinkish hue, when combined with the hair that color (M13, because the white in that grey scale, F13, looks pinkish in the shadows of the hair) The other details are: Overall Pattern: Spots 7 (P1, with slider full to the right) Base Complexion: Standard 2, Forehead Detail: Antaran (F13, with slider full to the right) Eyes: Humanoid, colors P13 and A8, with Hairstyle: Dreads Behind Ear. The sliders for the facial features and body proportions, I guestimated from photos of Sofia Boutella, and listed info on her height etc, so I'll leave those up to the individual for personalization :sunglasses:

Other
      Cool. I liked Jayleh when I finally got a chance to watch "Beyond", not only was she the first truly new character introduced by the Kelvin timeline (Adm. Marcus doesn't count to me since the 'militaristic Admiral, et al' trope was well-used in TNG and DS9, such as Layton), with a great standout personality to boot, but she was also the sign that the Kelvin timeline movies are starting to truly stand on their own separate from TOS and its related movies.
      Other
      Cool. I liked Jayleh when I finally got a chance to watch "Beyond", not only was she the first truly new character introduced by the Kelvin timeline (Adm. Marcus doesn't count to me since the 'militaristic Admiral, et al' trope was well-used in TNG and DS9, such as Layton), with a great standout personality to boot, but she was also the sign that the Kelvin timeline movies are starting to truly stand on their own separate from TOS and its related movies.
      It was a good film, I enjoyed it :sunglasses:

• flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
      Cardassian
      It really should be Cardassian; but Cryptic in the ultimate wisdom haven't given us the option - presumably because they were (initially) holding on to them for a faction reveal, but with the ignorance of the Romulan faction since it was launched, a 4th faction simply doesn't seem remotely plausible. I figure now, Cryptic are holding out for the Gamma Quadrant and/or Dominion Expansion, and will release Cardassians through that somehow.

Someone said it earlier too, but there's no reason why the current unique bridge officers shouldn't be customisable; their static nature is merely laziness on the part of Cryptic. We should be able to dress those Jem Hadar boffs in Starfleet or Imperial clothing, we should have more clothing options for the likes of him and our Breen boff; we should be able to morph their bodies, height, mass etc.

The fact that we can't doesn't remotely inspire. All of this content already exists in the game; it's just a case of them allowing us to use it. Either way, I'd be hopeful for everyone to get a Cardassian boff during the next expansion; something along the lines of the Romulan Embassy theme where you've go a selection of various skills and sex.
      attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
    • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
      Other
      It's time to get silly but I would seriously pay $20 each for Pizza the Hut from SpaceBalls and Yaphit from The Orville. :D
      Other
      jcsww wrote: »
      It's time to get silly but I would seriously pay $20 each for Pizza the Hut from SpaceBalls and Yaphit from The Orville. :D

Let me guess; the former would end up with an android First Officer named 'Vinnie'? B)
    This discussion has been closed.