test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Collecting ideas: How to make ship interiors more relevant in the game

Comments

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I would take all those mechanics that are a mere mouse-click on our UI to access and put them into ship interiors and tie sort of a wrapper quest to them that will award some sort of bonus if the player takes the extra time to do these things as part of shipboard gameplay. I wouldn't take the functionality out of the UI, as it has been there long enough that doing so would just make people mad. But for those who don't mind a more immersive experience, let interacting with our interiors to do these things give some sort of bonus.

This is probably the easiest thing to implement... If the word "easy" can actually be applied to implementing ANYTHING in a game.
    Players who actually want a "more immersive experience" can already go into their bridge to use the UI buttons and that "more immersive experience" is their reward.

I don't see any gameplay basis for giving people stuff just for going through an extra loading screen.
    warpangel wrote: »
    I would take all those mechanics that are a mere mouse-click on our UI to access and put them into ship interiors and tie sort of a wrapper quest to them that will award some sort of bonus if the player takes the extra time to do these things as part of shipboard gameplay. I wouldn't take the functionality out of the UI, as it has been there long enough that doing so would just make people mad. But for those who don't mind a more immersive experience, let interacting with our interiors to do these things give some sort of bonus.

This is probably the easiest thing to implement... If the word "easy" can actually be applied to implementing ANYTHING in a game.
    Players who actually want a "more immersive experience" can already go into their bridge to use the UI buttons and that "more immersive experience" is their reward.

I don't see any gameplay basis for giving people stuff just for going through an extra loading screen.

That's fair...

However, there are people who want to see ship interiors serve more of a purpose. As in a reason to go there.
    I agree. But IMO, merely hiding a UI button in a map doesn't serve a useful purpose. Interiors should have activities that actually involve the map itself, something you can't just do in a UI menu, like the aforementioned fighting enemy boarding party. For that matter, so should social zones.

If a location doesn't have an actual purpose, faking it by demanding people go there to press a UI button would just frustrate most players.
    If you ask me, every ship they design needs to have an interior. And a unique one at that.
    Well, that's just plain not gonna happen. See also, the FCT.
  • silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    Along the same line, how about off-ship Captain's Residences? Perhaps an apartment at Starfleet command, or in Hathon (that doorway in the corner of the square, just to the right of the fruit vendor...) or re-purpose the Fed SpyStation in First City (J'mpok: You flushed vermin from their nest! It is yours to do with as you wish, Commander! Qapla'!) for example, or even, using the First Contact Day map of Montana, maybe a Kirk-style 'cabin in the woods'? Basically, just Somewhere which would offer full amenities like tailoring, bank, mail ship selection etc, and which could be customizable by the individual? Maybe the Captain's Pet could auto-spawn there... My locked favorite had acquired a ginger cat (who is now stuck in the bank) But to use her as an example: She heads to the porch, or moves from room to room inside, and Mr. Jinx would be milling about... Maybe not a ship-interior, but the same kind of thing :sunglasses:

[extra] Perhaps such a residence, could also have an additional bankspace, for stuff to be kept, which could then only be accessed from that residence, rather than regular bank, which can be accessed at any bank terminal... :sunglasses:
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • thraexisthraexis Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    I would suggest having it like a account wide living space with the project feature like the fleet projects so you can add on to it and customize it to a degree. I tried to suggest this along long time ago but go bashed and trolled.
    thraexis wrote: »
    I would suggest having it like a account wide living space with the project feature like the fleet projects so you can add on to it and customize it to a degree. I tried to suggest this along long time ago but go bashed and trolled.
    I think that would be a cool idea :sunglasses:

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    thraexis wrote: »

I don't know about fully account wide... but I could go with account/faction wide; one for a Player's KDF, one for their FED, one for their Romulans...

That or they could simply remove the five-member minimum to starting a Fleet and let those of us crazy enough to be willing to try soloing the different holdings have at it so that we can have those as personalizable spaces... All we'd have to do is make each character on an account a member of the appropriate faction SelFleet... (Self + Fleet - f = SelFleet... SoloFleet sound better? Don't know...)
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • shinku#4469 shinku Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    Everything that is accessible on ESD should be available on the ship.
    lucky_star_trek_by_primantis-d389ufa.jpg
    valoreah wrote: »
    Do a side arc with Daniels where you have to travel with him to the different genres of Trek for some reason - like fending off hostile boarding parties or preventing some mishap in engineering and such. This would give Cryptic a story reason to develop interiors which could be put up for sale in the C-Store along with various repeatable missions that can be done inside the ship.
    ^^^ This...

valoreah wrote: »
    Do a side arc with Daniels where you have to travel with him to the different genres of Trek for some reason - like fending off hostile boarding parties or preventing some mishap in engineering and such. This would give Cryptic a story reason to develop interiors which could be put up for sale in the C-Store along with various repeatable missions that can be done inside the ship.
    ^^^ This...

I'd just like to point out, though it doesn't weigh for or against it, the sheer number of new interiors that were created for the AoY expansion that are mission-only and not-for-player use...
    Tholian interior ("Tangled Webs")
    More Constitution-class interior parts (or an alternate interior, even) ("Return to Babel")
    23c. Orion interior ("Return to Babel")
    23c. Klingon interior ("Battle of Caleb IV")
    Krenim interior ("Ragnarok")

So it's as much a matter of making them available to players as it is actually creating the interiors...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    If memory serves, I believe DOFFing was originally accessed through the ship interior. It was removed to the UI because of complaints about the inconvenience of having to visit the ship interior.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    Legacy of Romulus; up to LoR, you still had to visit the various departments to get Department Head DOff assignments ('Special Projects', Brig/Counselor, Chef, Bartender, etc.) then with the pretty to look at-nothing to do Romulan interior they all just got slapped into a console on the bridge and the same happening to Fed and KDF came shortly afterwards.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    IIRC either Bort or Heretic said that it was that way for Roms because faction choice made the contacts go crazy. But you can see that the default Romulan bridge DOEs have the NPCs in it, and spots for trophies.. that you can't use.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    Put in a bathroom, and then periodically make your captains have to 'go'.

Immersion, baby. Immersion.
    ...It's non-functional (Thank Gary Mitchell...), but I think the 2365-Galaxy interior actually does have one of the side-rooms listed as a head if one looks at the door signage.

Honestly, if I wanted that level of immersion, I'd play "The Sims" or something; I don't want to worry about making sure my characters eat, sleep and 'go boldly', so to speak...
  • gibbonigibboni Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    well on Xbox one they could at the very least fix it so on fed ships I have access to more than just the bridge, seems like bugs like that would get fixed sooner rather than later. Would be nice if it worked like strongholds on swtor. It has been proven before people will give real world money for virtual rugs and tables.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    Well, the topic is about how to make them relevant again, so removing them would actually make them irrelevant.

So, destroy roleplaying and prompt roleplayers to leave the game? amazing idea can't believe I haven't thought of it.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    gradii wrote: »
    Well, the topic is about how to make them relevant again, so removing them would actually make them irrelevant.

So, destroy roleplaying and prompt roleplayers to leave the game? amazing idea can't believe I haven't thought of it.

That's not what I was suggesting at all. I was actually responding to the post directly above the one you quoted, which referenced removing them.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • kianazerokianazero Member Posts: 247 Arc User

That's not what I was suggesting at all. I was actually responding to the post directly above the one you quoted, which referenced removing them.

Reminds me of one guy back on the City of Heroes forum, he wanted the Devs to ban Roleplaying altogether, because doing so would triple the playerbase at the bare minimum, overnight, guaranteed. His reasoning (as it were) was that for every RPer banned, a farmer would replace them due to not having to 'deal' with an RPer on the same map/server/game. And every farmer he knew has no less than three separate accounts, thus the playerbase would triple overnight once the Devs banned roleplaying.

And he was completely serious in it (or a master level troll) and couldn't understand why people were against his idea.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    Something I suggested a long time ago (which was poo-poo'd at the time) was an actual Player Fleet Flagship. Ala the Starbase interior projects. Think of it as a Tier 6 Fleet unlock to develop. Which would mean one starship interior per player fleet to share and develop further. No wandering NPC's unless they are paid to be unlocked. Or just populate it with your fleet mates.

While that doesn't immediately rectify the personally owned interiors from as far back as eight years ago, it would be a way to gauge just how invested the player-base can be. If it worked, a gradual replacement of the free interiors toward that model for modification might prove worthwhile.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
    kianazero wrote: »

Reminds me of one guy back on the City of Heroes forum, he wanted the Devs to ban Roleplaying altogether, because doing so would triple the playerbase at the bare minimum, overnight, guaranteed. His reasoning (as it were) was that for every RPer banned, a farmer would replace them due to not having to 'deal' with an RPer on the same map/server/game. And every farmer he knew has no less than three separate accounts, thus the playerbase would triple overnight once the Devs banned roleplaying.

And he was completely serious in it (or a master level troll) and couldn't understand why people were against his idea.
    Even if that were true, I'd expect a F2P game would rather have the roleplayer who is likely to buy stuff like clothes and ships to roleplay with, than someone who uses three(?!?) accounts to farm everything for free. o:)
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    Everything that is accessible on ESD should be available on the ship.

This would be nice but I think it would devalue trade ships and Ferengi ships that sport these as features. As much as I would love to see what you suggest happen I don't think it will because of those special ships.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
This discussion has been closed.