test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What Do You Think? Scylla and Charybdis

Comments

• silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    Kurn (did the Martok/Son'a mission have him regaining his identity? I didn't play it)
    Martok told him about it during the mission, but Kurn went and actually regained his memory in a post-mission story blog posted on the website.
    Ah, I hadn't seen that to read it, thanks for clarifying :sunglasses:
    There is a difference between stopping your captain from doing something, and outright defecting to the other side.
    Agreed. I felt it came across as an unnecessary convolution due to how Melting Pot ended. Personally, I think it would have been better to have built off of that point with Neth Parr: with her being, if not an outright ally, then at least a Voice of Reason on the Tzenkethi side, who arrives mid-battle to remove the Admiral from command, rather than being someone happy to carry out the extermination missions (which she already knew from Melting Pot, were taking place against inhabited worlds) and deciding to shift sides at that point. For her to be someone who stood up to her orders once, to then go back to following them again, to then disobey orders again, made her behaviour flip-floppy and inconsistent, when it could have been totally consistent to Melting Pot.The details would have been different, but the story would have still been the same, and IMO more consistent to the previous episode. She's a good character, and deserves to be well-written :sunglasses:
    That's because its a placeholder for when they get the actual VA in. They used similar audio snippets for most of the TOS cast back in AoY
    Which pretty much sums up the prevailing attitude today of 'good enough' will do, it can be re-done later' rather than simply releasing completed, quality content (and I do mean with the world in general, not just this specific thing)

To be fair to the snippets used in AoY, they were of better quality. It was only Sulu's which didn't quite hit the same standard as all the other snippets. The dialogue between Sarek and the Tellarite ambassador, given that that was a re-telling of that event, from a different perspective, that needed the original dialogue, and hearing that transported me back to watching the episode as a child. In that instance, it was absolutely fitting, and IMO, it worked perfectly.

Now with regards this snippet, given that it's only four words, I think it would have been stronger to have not included it, leaving the episode ending on the mystery of who Loriss is relaying a message for, rather than including it for the sake of including it, if/with the intention of replacing it with a decent VO when Rene Auberjonois does his recordings for Victory is Life, and thus ending the episode on a note weaker than the rest of it was.

As a whole, I thought the episode just felt rushed and thrown together, compared to previous episodes, which, for the most part, have been much tighter and better presented :sunglasses:

"I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • calfencalfen Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    It was a bit short. And the last fight might have been a bit different - for example you could make a time for how long can player defend DS9. Otherwise it was ok.
  • reafisreafis Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    I played this through again as a t6 Kor expecting to get frequently blown up. It was err very easy. Even the hurq (At one point there must have been about 7 of them on the rear shield. It was a lot of fun though as its nice to face an enemy where the abilities aren't the main threat (Like lazy immunity shields, or insta heals or a myriad of other abilities).

I do like the idea that we don't really know anything about the Hurq. It would have been too easy for a generic villain to appear and declare war.

Anyone wanna bet the big bad is Sela again?
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    I am actually hoping that with how the end of the episode went, that maybe instead of focusing on one main bad, we have a war on two front. like we are dealing with the reawakening Hur'q both in the Alpha/Beta quad an also some in the Gamma quad, while we are also still having to fight with the Tzenkethi attempting to eradicate the Hur'q on those worlds that still harbor some that have not awakened (with maybe they attacking alliance worlds as reprisal for what happened with their crusade). I mean could see a read alert in which we fight the Tzenkethi over a massive world (think like a mega earth), which has Hur'q on it sleep, but after a period of time or certain conditions are met the Hur'q awaken an swarm the field attacking the alliance an any remaining Tzenkethi ships.

I actually could see it more being T'ket if we have a returning villain, since in someways Sela has been on this story-line of redemption, which would just feel so wasted if she turned again. While I could see T'ket going to one of the main worlds that have the Hur'q on them, while also possessing something that could begin the reawakening of their race.

Though I am so hoping that this villian/rep has a ground battle/adventure-zone. If they had it in the Gamma quadrant on a world that was supposed to be the true original homeworld of the Hur'q (I believe they were said to come from Gamma quad originally). Maybe with it being around us traveling there to explore, research, and uncover what might be left in those ruins.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    One thing I noticed on my f2p's run through was that the tractor mines didnt slow them in any way what so ever once they hit the "snugglebum" range.

I think "snugglebum range" should be promoted to official technical term for some abilities. Even if they have to be created first.
    I dunno why to ask what do you think about new episodes.. its always the same. Its great, amaazing, good job... i wish people could be honest for once lol!.

Because everybody who disagrees with you and like it is dishonest? Also, if you actually read the comments, there's a lot of criticism. It's just that not everybody uses outright insulting language to convey it. Some may, most don't.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    Some of the voice synch needs to be cleaned up, particularly Martok on the space station when you do the last console in weapons control and he has 2 speechs going almost at the same time.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    mission is ok but the swarmers are absolute junk... they just stick to your rear and shot at ya... god forbid you try this mission in a full 5 man team... normally the number of ships in space multiples once you go above 2 people. <- I have not tried this with more than 2 folks.
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    asuran14 wrote: »

I actually could see it more being T'ket if we have a returning villain, since in someways Sela has been on this story-line of redemption, which would just feel so wasted if she turned again. While I could see T'ket going to one of the main worlds that have the Hur'q on them, while also possessing something that could begin the reawakening of their race.

Sela is in a Federation Prison. So I don't think it's her.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    mission is ok but the swarmers are absolute junk... they just stick to your rear and shot at ya... god forbid you try this mission in a full 5 man team... normally the number of ships in space multiples once you go above 2 people. <- I have not tried this with more than 2 folks.
    I.... now feel the need to try this.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    My point is I'm getting sick and tired of all our major non-player faction enemies being either A: absolute xenophobes EXCEPT FOR THIS ONE GUY who results in no significant change in relations (Tal Shiar, non-TS Romulan Empire, True Way, Vaads, Voth, Iconians, and now Tzenkethi), or B: insufficiently sapient to negotiate with (Borg, bluegills, and likely the Hur'q).
    Well that's Star Trek in general.

Voth, Vaadwaur, Bluegill, Borg, True Way, Tzenkethi, Dividian, Son'a, that is how these races were portrayed except for that ONE guy who sympathizes with the heroes and helps them out.

Yeah, we've fallen a long way from the Horta, the Gorn, and the "In the Flesh" Undine, haven't we.
    tigeraries wrote: »

I had three on the team when I played it the first time (me in a Phantom I was trait-grinding, friend in a Tucker, his friend in a Defiant). Didn't see any significant difference in how the mission played other than the boarding action being even messier.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I had three on the team when I played it the first time (me in a Phantom I was trait-grinding, friend in a Tucker, his friend in a Defiant). Didn't see any significant difference in how the mission played other than the boarding action being even messier.

Really? Cause grinding this mission per toon or pair of toons is painful if you have a lot of characters.

Normally if there is 1 cap ship, it becomes 3 cap ships with 3 or more folks in a regular mission in space. I forget which mission it was... everyone was in a carrier and so we all had pets out... the game slowed to a crawl and you couldnt even fly in space, lag was so bad. I think it was defense of New Rom from the Elachi was one of the missions we had to cut back on team members to make it playable.
    Yeah, we've fallen a long way from the Horta, the Gorn, and the "In the Flesh" Undine, haven't we.

Sorry, I can't follow. I can group Horta and Gorn in this context, but can't put the Undine into the same box.
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    xyquarze wrote: »

Sorry, I can't follow. I can group Horta and Gorn in this context, but can't put the Undine into the same box.

VOY; "In The Flesh"... IIRC, it featured a group of Undine willing to take Janeway's word that we had no desire to invade Fluidic Space or anything and agree to non-aggression (the same non-aggression agreement, wasn't even really a pact, just word of honor, that they think we broke because of the Iconians as seen in STO: "Fluid Dynamics") led, ironically enough, by an Undine impersonation of Boothby (they were training to infiltrate Starfleet at a recreation of Headquarters and the Academy.). Interesting episode; featured a romance between a female human-form Undine and Chakotay while he was undercover trying to figure out why there was a duplicate Academy in the Delta Quadrant...

Boothby and Archer (the female Undine) were the de facto leaders of those willing to accept non-aggression, while an imposter Admiral and a few others thought it would just be better to wipe out Voyager and then the Federation and be done with it. Basically making Boothby the equivalent of L'Miren, Parr, etc....
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    I was seriously underwhelmed. It was meh, at best. I've been enjoying Martok but the AI in this game is weak and causes a lot of issue. Story wise, the end wasn't great and the reveal was also just "Meh". This whole Arc just seemed like it was several stories that dead ended and were merged to make one single one. There was no build up to the big reveal. It was just "Hey, here's this thing... kinda. pew pew pew, and then suddenly here is this other, totally unrelated thing to pew pew pew since we're out of ideas."

I'm a bit mixed on LaForge though. I like that he's there but he seems too "Reading Rainbow". He's talking to me like he's trying to explain things to kids, which isn't bad but seems very weird in the middle of a space battle, or preparing to engage a planet destroying fleet. The Tzenkethi themselves just seemed underutilized in an oversaturated way though. They're being shoved in your face without actually doing anything to make them a threat or interesting. I've spent most of this just skipping everything until Martok starts pops up to say something. I'm not even playing this as a KDF either.

This mission was TOS writing in a Nemesis kinda film.

If anything, this entire ark didn't really add anything other than a higher body count to our genocidal numbers, and the only thing gained from it (for me personally) was the hope that the big thing this year is the Revamped DS9, possible Jem'hadar as a playable species, and even that is just speculation.
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    I found it to be a fun mission, with a much better variety than most recent fare, but the Hur'q ships were... Terrible. The swarmers were little more than pests who were there for target practice... I mean they weren't much tougher than shuttlecraft! I'd suggest adding a few Hur'q Capital Ships to the mix to make things interesting.
  • tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    I found the mission to be fun and interesting, with a nice bit of change in requirements at each stage. Caveat: my standards are not high; give me some things to shoot at, a little space/ground work, and some moderately meaningful plot/VO and I'm good.

Specific comments:
    -I get the 'too easy' comments, however remember not everyone is a level 60 captain with decent traits and unlocks and a well built ship. I suspect quite a few of the casual players find this one to be a challenge. The only real way to address this for an FE that has to be completable by everyone who qualifies is to have some sort of dynamic difficulty adjusting that tunes the strength of the foes to the strength of your ship. Which is pretty hard to quantify, given all the factors that go into your ships battle capability. (Also, did you consider turning up your game difficulty setting?)

-Some of the VO work, as mentioned, needs to be timed a little better. The first couple times through I missed Kumaarke comments because she doesn't speak until I am basically warping out. Also, sometimes Martok doesn't say 'We have an unexpected guest' when Tzen-Warun arrives, but says it after he is already dead. For me this is no big issue, but it likely disturbs purists.

-Agreed that the audio on Odo's voice clip should have been cleaned up/less tinny.

-Finally, an issue that has been in the game since day 1, and that some of the other comments address: STO has always been hampered by the linear mission design. No matter what options are presented, what text is selected, the mission always moves the same path from start to finish. It may be a problem with the engine but the lack of 'branching' alternatives in mission design really cuts the replayability of missions, to the point where anything beyond the 2nd run starts to feel like a chore.

Anyways, I am happy with the mission overall, I only mention these points because it would be nice to see STO stretch their capabilities and stay more relevant and attractive.
  • eve1964eve1964 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    To be honest, I enjoy these little episodes, however, I would rather see three voiceless episodes, and THEN the ONE with voice acting. I get that it is expensive, but, knowing I will be running this on my four active alts four times each, I hardly listen to it, even on the first run. I simply don't have the time, or the inclination. I'll get the gist of the dialogue in bits and pieces.

And to be honest, it bothers me that I don't have the time to listen to it. A lot of work went into it, but, it's lazy on your part to have us do the same mission over and over. Is it really necessary?

Eve
    -Some of the VO work, as mentioned, needs to be timed a little better. The first couple times through I missed Kumaarke comments because she doesn't speak until I am basically warping out. Also, sometimes Martok doesn't say 'We have an unexpected guest' when Tzen-Warun arrives, but says it after he is already dead. For me this is no big issue, but it likely disturbs purists.

I wouldn't say it "disturbs" me, but similar things are going on in other missions (Kuumaarke talking about the malfunctioning satellite when it is already repaired, dead Klingons threatening me, and so on..), though likely some of it comes during reruns when you know what will happen where a first time player may still stand around in the room before.
  • sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    I enjoyed the mission overall. I just have a quick question though; Where's the Defiant? Unless I missed it or dialog mentioning where it is, it appears to be MIA. Rather odd considering it is based out of DS9.
    y1arXbh.png

sle1989 wrote: »
    I enjoyed the mission overall. I just have a quick question though; Where's the Defiant? Unless I missed it or dialog mentioning where it is, it appears to be MIA. Rather odd considering it is based out of DS9.

I haven't seen it either; just the Challenger, Reskava, Kor and Rotarran. ...Though considering that Commander Minna seemed to be in command of DS9, it could be supposed that Kurland was commanding the Defiant and we just never actually see it in the mission. Which, with all the destruction happening, makes me wonder about "Kurland here - *krssh*" and what it might mean for the Defiant...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I haven't seen it either; just the Challenger, Reskava, Kor and Rotarran. ...Though considering that Commander Minna seemed to be in command of DS9, it could be supposed that Kurland was commanding the Defiant and we just never actually see it in the mission. Which, with all the destruction happening, makes me wonder about "Kurland here - *krssh*" and what it might mean for the Defiant...

Well... the same thing happened at the Battle of Earth at the end of the Iconian War.

As for the fight with the Hur'q... MUA HAHAHA! FEAR MY WARP PLASMA YOU SWARMERS!
    Love getting a whole squadron on my tail and just dumping warp plasma right in their faces.
    maxresdefault.jpg
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »

Well... the same thing happened at the Battle of Earth at the end of the Iconian War.

As for the fight with the Hur'q... MUA HAHAHA! FEAR MY WARP PLASMA YOU SWARMERS!
    Love getting a whole squadron on my tail and just dumping warp plasma right in their faces.
    <snip>

Yeah, but we actually saw the Defiant there in "Midnight" is the difference.

Personally, I'm wanting to try a variant on the 'Lorca Manuver' when I run the mission with a minelayer; all stop, deploy mines (probably with a Pattern Beta dispersal), and then either 'Picard Manuver' out of there when they go active or sit there and watch the fireworks...
    Might be fun, but you will still need a means of keeping the swarmers there for the mines to work.
    Also... a Trajector Jump (like off the Delta set Warp Core) might work if you don't have the Picard Maneuver. If you're a Romulan in a Warbird, maybe a Singularity Jump. If not... Warp Plasma if you got it, Mines, then Trajactor Jump.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    grav well's still better - it isn't limited in ammo like mines are, and it's a full 360d AoE unlike warp plasma, plus it has no target...well, no, actually, i think it DOES have a target cap now - but it's still better​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Megawell Builds have fun for sure. I know from experience. But not every ship can use Gravity Well.
    Besides, in this instance the point isn't DPS or even kill count - it's having fun trying out a new idea.
    xyquarze wrote: »

VOY; "In The Flesh"... IIRC, it featured a group of Undine willing to take Janeway's word that we had no desire to invade Fluidic Space or anything and agree to non-aggression (the same non-aggression agreement, wasn't even really a pact, just word of honor, that they think we broke because of the Iconians as seen in STO: "Fluid Dynamics") led, ironically enough, by an Undine impersonation of Boothby (they were training to infiltrate Starfleet at a recreation of Headquarters and the Academy.). Interesting episode; featured a romance between a female human-form Undine and Chakotay while he was undercover trying to figure out why there was a duplicate Academy in the Delta Quadrant...

Boothby and Archer (the female Undine) were the de facto leaders of those willing to accept non-aggression, while an imposter Admiral and a few others thought it would just be better to wipe out Voyager and then the Federation and be done with it. Basically making Boothby the equivalent of L'Miren, Parr, etc....

Thanks for the explanation, forgot to say that.
This discussion has been closed.