test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

When is Cover Shield (Engineer) getting fixed?

2»

Comments

• nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Step 1: Find a corner.
    Step 2: Drop shield generator, health generator, mortar launcher.
    Step 3: Drop cover shield to block generators/launchers in corner.
    Step 4: Laugh as enemies try to get to my generators/launchers as I shoot them and watch the mortars kill them.
    Step 5: Loot.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
    It works wonders for when you want to be left alone while mining on Nukara.
    I think the issue isn't that the power is broken, but that our Boffs are too stupid to use it correctly.
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I agree with the one who said it works wonders while mining on Nukara. You can mine uninterrupted when deploying one of them.

Also some other good ideas in here on how to use them. Just doesn't sound like a good idea to give them to BOFFs.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    There are good uses for cover shield. I don't think that was ever the issue. I think some players call it "useless" because of how problematic it can be. Not giving cover shield to BOFFs is a quick fix that solves part of the problem. I never allow such an engineer in my away team, and I tell my teammates not to take cover shield BOFFs, as well. Some, though, seem to have problems with Teammates who think it's fun to be obnoxious to people who trusted them to be on their team, I guess. (Or, maybe they have a teammate who's only a little bit smarter than a BOFF?) Cover shield is too easily abused by such a "teammate". All of this could be solved if the cover shield had hit points, a timer, an off switch, or would go away when you boot someone from the team. You know, does it even seem realistic that, every two minutes or so, someone can make an 8 foot wide shield that lasts forever and cannot even be scratched by an orbital strike? If that really is supposed to be a thing in this universe, then why are they not making ships out of them?
  • sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    I don't think it ever worked right... the boff set it whenever and wherever they want. I just turn it off, and will replace that ability with something more useful for a boff. Second most irritating are haphazard laid mines, but that I can deal with.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    tyler002 wrote: »
    avoozuul wrote: »
    I only don't like it when people grief with this.
    It has another use?
    Yes, but it requires a level of intelligence to use.
    Yeah you can stand on them and use them as ladder substitutes for hard to reach areas. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,982 Arc User
    An undine once got trapped in a corridor on ESD and the only solution was to destroy the station.
    protoneous wrote: »
    I like to have a full away team of engineers that can deploy cover shields.

I hope you supplied them all with a full suite of party poppers for added effect.

The ones that don't have party poppers get a fire extinguisher or bug spray. The bad guys don't know what to think and just leave.

On romulan toons one engineer is replaced with Tovan Khev equipped with nothing whatsoever in hopes that one day there may be a bug where he's missing from the roster when you beam back up without him being resuscitated.

nimbull wrote: »
    Step 1: Find a corner.
    Step 2: Drop shield generator, health generator, mortar launcher.
    Step 3: Drop cover shield to block generators/launchers in corner.
    Step 4: Laugh as enemies try to get to my generators/launchers as I shoot them and watch the mortars kill them.
    Step 5: Loot.

or. Use a tactical toon. And it will take you half of that time to grab the loot lol.

I actually kill faster on my engie than on my tac toon. Between the explosives, turrets, etc things just die fast. Also the heals and things I get from my fabrications keep me going when my tac toon would be ducking for cover.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    Tacs do have more freedom though.

Engineers can definitely be more powerful, but they're also more stationary because much of their firepower comes from things like mines and turrets. And these need to be placed of course.

So I can imagine that, in a dynamic fight that takes the team quickly from one location to another, tacs are more powerful.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    edited January 2018
    I actually kill faster on my engie than on my tac toon. Between the explosives, turrets, etc things just die fast. Also the heals and things I get from my fabrications keep me going when my tac toon would be ducking for cover.

Then you are doing something terribly wrong with your tactical. There is no way that an engi will kill a group of mobs faster than a tactical, lol. No matter how good is your engi at ground. A decent tactical toon will wipe out any resistance in strictly seconds, far far before any mines, mortars, or whatever do their job.

I feel that this is where most of the argument is coming from.

It probably depends on whether you take into account the time needed to set up those mines and turrets, lure the enemy towards them etc.

When mines explode, turrets are firing and heaven descends on an enemy (or quantum mortars shoot their deadly load from above) the damage dealt at that moment is probably higher than any tac will be able to deal.

Even if everyone is talking about burst damage rather than sustained damage, then it still depends on how one defines the burst and when the counting starts.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.

Engineers can definitely be more powerful, but they're also more stationary because much of their firepower comes from things like mines and turrets. And these need to be placed of course.

So I can imagine that, in a dynamic fight that takes the team quickly from one location to another, tacs are more powerful.

I've kind of solved the mobility problem with the lukari health/shield probe, explody probe, TOS mobile drones, standard engiee drones, and the mortar. As mobs fight my drones and probes they stay in place for the mortars to land. Stuff just melts away and spamming resummons of probes and drones between shots clears the field quickly.

I've kind of solved the mobility problem with the lukari health/shield probe, explody probe, TOS mobile drones, standard engiee drones, and the mortar. As mobs fight my drones and probes they stay in place for the mortars to land. Stuff just melts away and spamming resummons of probes and drones between shots clears the field quickly.

Yes there are more options nowadays. I still prefer the older stuff though.

I've never used medical generators that much, I prefer to have a toon with high resistances and regeneration. Turrets will always feel like an unnecessary restriction to me, I'd rather use kit modules that allow me to play a bigger role - things like shield recharge so that you don't have to worry about anything, a mortar that can be hidden away and still be useful, sabotage and things like intel modules.

Stuff like the Lukari drone can indeed increase mobility, but to me it still feels too restrictive when I have to stay within its 3 meter range or so and can't move too fast because of that.