test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

do ships from lockboxes expire?

ive got the two descovory ships but leveling a new character to use them will the ships expire?

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    No, the boxes never expire. The contents are bind to character on open, so be sure to open them with the right character.
  • Options
    vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    Also be sure to never dismiss/discharge/delete the ship. You can't ever reclaim it like you can a C-Store purchase, if you TRIBBLE up and delete, it is gone for good. Maybe contacting customer service would result in them undeleting it for you if that happened, but I certainly wouldn't count on that.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • Options
    kapustickkapustick Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    This is one of the scariest game mechanic thoughts I've seen. It's like a developer's secret alt account testing the acceptance of such an idea.
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,637 Arc User
    kapustick wrote: »
    This is one of the scariest game mechanic thoughts I've seen. It's like a developer's secret alt account testing the acceptance of such an idea.

We've had pre-character ships from lockboxes and such for years now, and we still have C-Store ships and Event ships even went from per-character to account-claimable since their introduction (at least any based around a Event project).
  • Options
    gazdadudegazdadude Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    So I can’t buy the box with one character then put the item in my account bank and open it with another?
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,637 Arc User
    gazdadude wrote: »
    So I can’t buy the box with one character then put the item in my account bank and open it with another?

You can do that, but only before it's opened. Once opened, it is only on that character.
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    But if you discard them you will lose them forever, same goes for promotional ships.
  • Options
    startrooper98a#1290 startrooper98a Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Technically all items expire in usefulness via powercreep and rarity via inflation.

Lockbox ships make the identity of a captain, C-Store ships are meant for leveling your alts.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    gazdadude wrote: »
    Of course you can.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    Technically all items expire in usefulness via powercreep and rarity via inflation.

Lockbox ships make the identity of a captain, C-Store ships are meant for leveling your alts.

I disagree. The Arbiter, Scimitars, and other C-Store ships are as good as the lock box ships. Besides, "Space Barbie is the real endgame."
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    The ships from lockboxes will remain until you decide to get rid of them or the game eventually shuts down at the end of a long long life, whatever happens first. You can pass lockbox ships through your mail or even through your account bank to your other characters, though I highly advise using the account bank as I've had issues with the mail before when sending things like that. Once you open a lockbox ship, it's bound to that character permanently. If you want to get the same ship on an alt you would need to acquire that lockbox/lobi ship again. If you discharge or delete lockbox or lobi ships then you will need to acquire the ship again to have that ship back. Certain promotional ships also fall into this category where they must be reacquired though for the most part you can typically reclaim most promotions ships as account wide items now. I say most of them because there are still a few exceptions to the rule. So no, they don't expire. In fact a few folks I run with in game have ship packs they've held onto for a few years now.

Not entirely true. As for inflation and rarity, those ships never outright expire as was the original question, they just don't come to market, or don't sell as often when they do. as for powercreep if you're trying to squeeze every last one and zero from a ship, then sure you can make that argument. However my t5u Galor was still outperforming all of my t6 ships until the Keldon came out, with the Keldon only being outdone by my Miracle Worker ships.

Going to strongly disagree about the lockbox ships making the identity of the captain and c-store ships being mainly for leveling alts. In a game like this, it's 20% ship, gearing, setup, skills etc all rolled into the setup category, and the other 80% is the pilot. Ships in this game are basically shells with varying properties and what you load them with and how you fly them determines how well they will do or not do. In my case I'm currently flying the Tucker Class Tactical Miralce Worker ship as it gives me more options than did my previous ships. There's also alot of great traits and items that can come from cstore ships as well.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Once claimed they are yours until you dismiss them, similarly once the boxed ship has been obtained it will remain as a boxed ship waiting to be opened.

However

Some of the lockbox ships have been removed such as the t5 narcine dreadnaught which was one of those removed from the t5 infinity ship box for no real reason other than to push the new t6 despite the fact that a t5 would help advertise and draw folk into considering looking for an upgrade for it.

Lockbox ships are the ones that they either think they'll make bank from due to tie ins with trek tv & movies or ones they don't really want to put on the store as they'd only be a cross faction triple pack rather than a megabundle. Lobi ships also count here due to the expense made by someone or other to get the item into the game.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Once claimed they are yours until you dismiss them, similarly once the boxed ship has been obtained it will remain as a boxed ship waiting to be opened.

However

Some of the lockbox ships have been removed such as the t5 narcine dreadnaught which was one of those removed from the t5 infinity ship box for no real reason other than to push the new t6 despite the fact that a t5 would help advertise and draw folk into considering looking for an upgrade for it.

Lockbox ships are the ones that they either think they'll make bank from due to tie ins with trek tv & movies or ones they don't really want to put on the store as they'd only be a cross faction triple pack rather than a megabundle. Lobi ships also count here due to the expense made by someone or other to get the item into the game.

It doesn't make sense to keep offering the grand prize T5 ships at 1-in-250 odds once a T6 version of the same ship is available. All that does is make it possible to choose the wrong ship by mistake.

It also doesn't make business sense to do what I'm guessing you'd want, to keep offering the T5U version but as an easy-to-get consolation prize ship with much better odds. That would just get people to settle for it it instead opening more boxes to get the T6 version, losing Cryptinc money not making it.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    The remaining T5 lock box ships are already worthless and are selling on the exchange for under 20M. This due to Cryptic stalling on eliminating them for some reason yet they continue to drop. Maybe they'll eliminate them all at once with a huge infinity lock box update.

Basically, if you ever wanted to get a T5-U "consolation" D'Kora, now is the time to do it.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Lockbox ships obviously don't make the identity of a captain when they're never anything you'd see a 25th century officer using.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    They are not living things, the should not expire... :wink:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »
    Lockbox ships obviously don't make the identity of a captain when they're never anything you'd see a 25th century officer using.
    Actually, there are several possibilities for this to make sense (most roleplay-based, of course, but that's kinda the point of this game focused on customization), with, in my opinion, the most common being:
    -"Starfleet reverse-engineered those things to be used by Starfleet personel but we still don't know what everything does or how it works in typical situations, so we're assigning YOU to review it over time to fully understand it so we can get an edge if our foes appear again!"

But there are other possible explanations:
    -Your old ship got trashed beyond repairs during a mission so you and your crew decided to take the shuttles, board and hijack one of your enemy's ships
    -for the Herald ships, you can say the Whole gave the Alliance those ships as one of the means to atone for what they did and help rebuild our fleets
    -same for Undine ships
    -for Dominion ships, it can be that a Vorta and his crew said the Founders gave them as a sign of gratitude for returning the Female Changeling... and it's an offer you can't refuse anyway. Because they're the Dominion... and you're not.
    -for Tzenkethi ships, it's not unreasonable to think Neth Parr being the best captain (as the Fleet Admiral says in the latest episode), she would have enough influence to encourage other Tzenkethi to defect, along with their ships
    -same with Voth ships with those who defy the Doctrine
    -for 22nd and 23rd century ships, just modern ships for nostalgic of the old days
    -The Sarcophagus was explained in a blog
    -Kelvin Timeline, OK, much less excusable... Hmmm... Quantum displacement, perhaps?
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    Feels like I'm the only one who took the person to mean Lockbox ships make the identity of their captain, C-Store ships are meant for leveling their alts.. From what I understand, a lot of folks play with the Main/alts paradigm in mind. While I don't view things through that lens, it seems a little over the line to tell them their fun is wrong.

I would have to agree though, the wording could have been a little different.
    /channel_join grind