test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Another day, another question (this time about unlocking Dialog)

Sorry to be a bother again, but I was hoping for some insight regarding how to make Dialog options hidden until a correct, other series of options was followed through. I've found that giving an NPC a Default Prompt allows you to set it so that a Dialog option is triggered by a component completion or a prompt being reached (though on the latter I seem unable to make that work - did a quick test and the option was visible despite being set to appear only after another prompt was met), but the same options don't exist when trying to do it under 'Dialog with Contact'. Is there something I'm missing here, or is this another Foundry Limit I'm just gonna have to work around through a lot of copy and pasting?

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    Hmm, not sure. Triggering dialog options should work, as far as I know, so double check to see if the triggers have been setup right. Ie. that the option is set to appear rather than disappear (easy to get those flipped around sometimes). Also, be sure that you've selected the right dialog option before you start playing around with state transitions.

If everything checks out (with the trigger that isn't happening), try testing it after publishing. Could be that there's something going on with the editor (possibly related to objective triggers, but that's just idle speculation.)

As for dialog with contact, I'm not sure what you mean there. I've used dialog option triggers in mission dialog with contact NPC's, so the basic options should be there. Double check to make sure that you've selected a dialog option to trigger, have more than one, and are looking in the right place.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • meraxameraxa Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Well, as far as I can tell, from having tinkered around with the Default Prompt, it should be one of those things where the state of the button changes. To demonstrate my issue in action:
    VgYJtO0.jpg?1
    From one of my 'Dialog with Contact' objectives

NqbIgBA.jpg?1
    From a blank Default Prompt

v2WSwOc.jpg?1
    Popup Dialog for good measure

For reference, this is how the story chain currently looks, though obviously still early stages:
    65A0wBn.jpg?1

I've tried tossing in a random map and NPC after, but the options still didn't appear then. I'm kinda scratching my head at this one.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    is the prop tied to an objective?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • theyredeadjimtheyredeadjim Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    In the Foundry, dialogs are classified as either story-related or map-related. When you create the dialog through the "Dialog With Contact" option under the Story button, the dialog type is the former, while creating a default dialog for an NPC on the Map button maps to a dialog type that is the latter.

The advantage of the former type of contact and dialog is that it is listed directly as a mission objective; however, your creative options will tend to more limited. Conversely, map-related contacts/dialogs offer greater creative freedom, but you have to show additional creativity with respect to linking these contacts/options back to the mission objectives. Perhaps a reach objective to your map-related contact will work, perhaps not. It would ultimately depend upon what works logically within the context of your mission.

Hope this helps :)
    > @thay8472 said:
    > is the prop tied to an objective?

In so much that you interact with an invisible object so as to place down a PADD on the table.

And I see on the Dialog creation issue. Have created most of mine through dropping in the Talk with Contact option first, so I wonder if that affected things.
    Double posting just to say I've managed something of a workaround for now, in that I finally realised you can make objectives occur simultaneously, and thus tied the extra dialogue to one of those being completed.