test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] The Discovery Lock Box!

Comments

• sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    27152722_10213536697966299_349150790_n.png?oh=0adac6eddb6a02e5e3dfc2272841d871&oe=5A64FFC9

So cryptic is breaking the T5+ lockout for Romulans on these ships.... Don't hold any hope they'll make that retroactive, folks.
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    STO has finally caught TRIBBLE. Might be time to visit Dr. Bashir.

lol :p

Though I am not a fan of the show, new ships and weapons can't hurt.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    > @dragnridr said:
    > Hey look.....no Romulan love yet again......Why am I not surprised. Oh, BTW, Discovery is not doing very good. I doubt thise lockbox will fair any better. Plus they are ugly ships.....I'll pass on this round, yet again.

Source? It's just beven picked up for a second season so can't be doing that badly....
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    wait important question, the black alert trait does it summon a exact, as in all your customization, one of the same basic ship, like say a b'rel if your in a b'rel or a crossfield class even if not in a crossfield.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    I would have liked DSC space weapons, those blue phaser turrets could have been nice to put on a TOS ship pig-1.gif​​

Edit: oh those are im there. Neat.
    Post edited by angrytarg on
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    This stuff looks all pretty interesting. I wasn't expecting it this soon.

Going by the ZEFilms video (great work as usual!), the Crossfield variant will actually have a modeled bridge in the exterior. The level of detail ship models are getting these days is pretty impressive.
    The Walker Class apparently doesn't have that, though.

(Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJAIWYCTANk)

It seems the Crossfield will have Intel seats (going by its traits), which seems reasonably appropriate, though Miracle Worker might also fit (since it's basically using miracle tech).
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    How does honoured dead work as a trait when we don't have crew anymore?

Just wondering...
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    I've been enjoying Discovery, other than the Klingon makeup/prosthetics.
    I really wish that the ship had been in the C store, rather than a lockbox, because I rarely open the boxes. I was also hoping for a "Disco" T Shirt at some point.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,995 Arc User
    swamarian wrote: »
    I really wish that the ship had been in the C store, rather than a lockbox, because I rarely open the boxes. I was also hoping for a "Disco" T Shirt at some point.

I agree. Ships should be C Store available.
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    nightken wrote: »
    wait important question, the black alert trait does it summon a exact, as in all your customization, one of the same basic ship, like say a b'rel if your in a b'rel or a crossfield class even if not in a crossfield.

Black Alert will summon duplicates of your current ship. Just like when using items like Photonic Displacement or other "clone yourself" abilities in STO, this copies your costume-level customizations, but cannot copy things like Vanity Shields/Deflectors.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer

The mention of "crew" here is just flavoring for the ability. It's just triggered by incoming hull damage. More details will be in the ship stats blog.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    The Crossfield-class looks even uglier without cinematic post-processing effects.

The Sarcophagus is still an abomination that should have never gotten the KDF's approval but should have gotten his designer executed for wasting money and time in uselessly-detailed hull and spikes.
    Also:
    The heritage of this "Ship of the Dead" predates all of the modern Houses, and is a symbol of great honor in Klingon culture.
    Klingons really still don't know what "honor" means.
    In times of war, the honored dead will serve as your shield.
    There, see? "We will honor you by using your body as LITERAL cannon fodder".

The Walker-class, on the other hand. Still one of the good stuff of the show. Depending on the stats, it'll either be "Ooh, I should try to get it in the near future" or
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MD48_-NUBE

Though, let me ask the necessary question:

New bridges for all these 3?
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Another lock box ship disappointment. Heck I guess more to save for next time.

I will pass as well.normal-24.gif​​
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    eazzie wrote: »

Nah. The Vengeance, JJprise, and JJ-bird-of-prey are all lockbox. It only makes sense that Discovery (a completely different aesthetic) is lockbox too.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @dracounguis said:
    > eh. not a surprise this was coming at some point. Discovery is a **** show. I just hope I don't see a bunch of these things floating around. Sad when JJ-trek starts to look like tru-trek in comparison.

No such thing as "jj trek" nor is there a such thing as "tru trek", even if somehow those fictional things were real Discovery, being made by the owners of the franchise is not and never will be a "false trek". Its also not a "**** show" which yoid know if you had actually watched it. 11 episodes in and they have already had more good episodes than season 1 of TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT combined.
    Continuity aside, Discovery is pretty good so far. It's easy to forget how BAD the first seasons of Star Trek typically are.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    pretty easy to break a record when all your prior shows on said service were mostly no-name obscurity ones - then something like star trek comes along to it, so it's no wonder AA is seeing 'record-breaking subscription numbers'​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    That Walker looks fantastic, seriously tempted to go for one (hey, I've got the uniforms already, so....:)).

Handful of items I was hoping to see with this box or in the Lobi store along with it (DSC pistols, away jumpsuit, Klingon gear), but there's more than enough there to get me to grab a bunch of keys while the sale's on.

Only question's whether to open enough to buy the Walker outright (and pray to RNGesus for a Shroomship on the way) or sell keys and hope the Exchange Ferengi don't overdo the greed (yeah, I know lol). Over halfway there with Lobi, so it'd work out much the same £-wise anyhow.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Walker class, yeah!, still on the fence with the Crossfield...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    Well since Discovery being CBS's you know this was going to be pushed hard at us.

The ships seem decent enough not knowing the statistics yet of course & besides just another pretty shiny bling that's what matters if you're piloting.

I'll probably not go out of my way & gamble in trying to obtain them though, imo, that Walker seems the most fun possibly since the Crossfield seems to have been neutered in it's abilities compared to the series & it's the freaking namesake.

All three ship designs seem nice to me & accurate based upon the series.

I'm impressed with the innovation of the Discovery space weapons, well done upon that Cryptic.

The costume, environmental suit, ground weapon, & pet are all well done & nice enough but same ol' same ol' just another paint job.

I agree with others though not including a Tardigrade in some capacity is a missed opportunity.

I do like all the references to Discovery though via the names of items & functions.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User

The mention of "crew" here is just flavoring for the ability. It's just triggered by incoming hull damage. More details will be in the ship stats blog.

Oh I assumed as much.

Was just arguing from a in-universe perspective. It seemed a bit strange that dead crew boosts our performance when there wasn't a crew to begin with ... that's all :)
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    nightken wrote: »

Black Alert will summon duplicates of your current ship. Just like when using items like Photonic Displacement or other "clone yourself" abilities in STO, this copies your costume-level customizations, but cannot copy things like Vanity Shields/Deflectors.

ok, thank you.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I'm a big Discovery fan. Not sure if I want to go for it. I assume the price will be more than the cost of selling 200 keys?

Also, can you get the black alert trait without buying the ship?
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    sunseahl wrote: »
    27152722_10213536697966299_349150790_n.png?oh=0adac6eddb6a02e5e3dfc2272841d871&oe=5A64FFC9

So cryptic is breaking the T5+ lockout for Romulans on these ships.... Don't hold any hope they'll make that retroactive, folks.

I can't believe that Romulans are now going to look 100% ST-D Federation or 100% ST-D Ogres (Klingon-wanna-be's).

R.I.P. Romulan Faction immersion. At this point just open the flood gates and allow all Romulans to use all their alliance ships, give Feds and KDF enhanced battle cloaks and DHC on all ships, and just call it a day.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • keladorkelador Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    Well came to the site to see what was new as was thinking of coming back to STO well this has put me off....
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    Well it's either make a special case for these three ships since there's no Romulan ships in Discovery (probably ever) and obviously 'cos they're from the only Trek show being currently aired, or make some ship up for the Romulans which wouldn't fit with the lockbox's theme.
  • gothkid1972gothkid1972 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    plm9rZU.png
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    eazzie wrote: »

Nah. The Vengeance, JJprise, and JJ-bird-of-prey are all lockbox. It only makes sense that Discovery (a completely different aesthetic) is lockbox too.
    I think the more important thing is that these ships are not "period-appropriate" ships. They are 23rd century ships that are somehow still viable in the 25th century.

Of course,you could argue, "It's just because of the extra money they make as lock box ships" - but hero ships like the Galaxy, Sovereign, Intrepid or Defiant Class are all C-Store ships... They also happen to be pretty contemporary ships, with background lore suggesting some were even designed to serve Starfleet for a century.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.