test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] New Featured Episode: Scylla and Charybdis!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
edited January 2018 in Galactic News Network [PC]
With the launch of our 8th Anniversary, Captains on PC can experience the final battle of the Tzenkethi War, alongside Levar Burton as Geordi La Forge, and J.G. Hertzler as General Martok.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10770254
Post edited by ambassadorkael#6946 on

Comments

• bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    Sounds awesome! Can't wait to play it.

But ... it's spelled "Charybdis"...
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Isn't it a bit early to be fighting the final battle when we've only just (albeit last year, though still being advertised on console as featured episode) encountered the bugs and reason for their little exterminatus.

But at the same time the 'kethi we met on the colony swapped sides very quickly so maybe they're just misunderstood and would rather be back home knitting and flower arranging.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    Isn't it a bit early to be fighting the final battle when we've only just (albeit last year, though still being advertised on console as featured episode) encountered the bugs and reason for their little exterminatus.

But at the same time the 'kethi we met on the colony swapped sides very quickly so maybe they're just misunderstood and would rather be back home knitting and flower arranging.

If I had to guess, I'd say that by stopping the Tzenkethi (because even if we assume the alliance is already 100% sure the bugs are bad and need to be stopped the Tzenkethi are still considering multiple-genocide as "acceptable collateral damage" so of course we're going to stop them) we end up leaving the bugs to run unchecked and become the next main bad.
    True but that would mean they would be an impending threat until after the next expansion. If they are as bad as they're made out to be then you'd not sit back and ignore them.

They're not really memorable enough of an enemy to leave such massive gaps between them being in missions, assuming of course they were linked to those things I vaguely recall being tied to the station that timejumped. I tend to switch off when cryptic try and do a more "trekky" episode as it tends to be massive space map with tons of travel between a couple of scans or equally large ground map with lots of faffing about, more if there's doorways and petulant boffs.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    So there will be allies 'old en new'.

I wonder if this means that we'll see a return of that Tzenkethi officer who helped us last time. It's been a while since a Boff candidate has been added as an episode reward. I know there's only a small chance, but it would be so great to see one as part of this episode's rewards.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • melange#3807 melange Member Posts: 28 Cryptic Developer
    bberge1701 wrote: »
    Sounds awesome! Can't wait to play it.

But ... it's spelled "Charybdis"...

You are totally right. I must have had a brain TRIBBLE while writing this. We have it spelled correctly in the game, but I don't know how I messed it up here.

Good catch!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    We still haven't gotten a Lukari Boff, let alone Tzen'kethi.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    Martok! Well that's worth the price of admission. ...
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Scylla and Charybdis. huh, i know a little bit of history and it's a story of a choice between two evils, a rock jutting out of the sea or a whirlpool and both of which presents a danger to Ulysses, his ship and crew, he either lost some crew or his ship and everyone. He chose to face Scylla (the rocks) instead of Charybdis. (Modern day: Italy. Province of Reggio Calabria, Sicilla)

Translation these days is a "between a rock and a hard place" or the simpler "catch 22". so implied by the episode title there could be a lot more than meets the eye in this mission. guess we will see when it comes.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    Heh, you noticed that little fact too @mirrorchaos ...This suggests some intresting options, especially if you consider the new ship blog states 'defend bajor!' ...so, I wonder if those insecty things crystals are found on bajors moon and and the rock and the hard place is either letting them set up home there after finding their queens, ect are sentient (sparking war with the tzenkethi) or letting the Tzenkethi protomatter the moon, upsetting the Bajorans (well, more than usual at least)

My guess is if so, we'll blindly support the orb grabbers and the Tzenkethi will go on a rampage with allies (T'ket?...whats the odds the bugs are an ex ico servitor race?) in the gamma quad, stepping on the toes of the Dominion with enough force to need new allies...
  • ghost2448ghost2448 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    I hope that by completing this mission does not mean that the result of the mission causes the issues with the Dominion?
  • carguy1701#7145 carguy1701 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    So if this is the final battle of the Tzenkethi war, does that mean it's the end of this story arc as well? I had thought that there would be 2, maybe 3 more missions before the new expansion came out (based on how the mission releases fell on the calendar last year).
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    I'm guessing the final battle of the Tzenkethi War is going to be the Defense of Bajor, judging by the Anniversary Ship Blog.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Final battle? What?

We still don't know what those bugs are inside the eggs or why they're such a big deal to the Tzenkathi!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Final battle? What?

We still don't know what those bugs are inside the eggs or why they're such a big deal to the Tzenkathi!

clearly that means during a battle over bajor something gonna happen, like it turning out that some of those bugs are on bajor or at least one of the moons. which we find out after killing some major tzenkethi guyso the reasonable ones are in charge. they help us wipe out the bugs without killing all the bajorians. then peace will be declared without us ever brothering to actually talk things out, in less the talks are the next fe.

in that case we'll set up the talks maybe even start them than the dominion with appear/attack and we'll forgot about it in the battle.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    You haven't been paying attention. Season 13, 13.5, 14, and now 14.5 consists of one Featured Episode each. I am not counting that Galaxy Bridge Advertisement Episode, 'Beyond the Nexus' as it didn't fit anywhere in the Arc and when the Feature time was over it got shoved way back in the Arcs.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    You haven't been paying attention. Season 13, 13.5, 14, and now 14.5 consists of one Featured Episode each. I am not counting that Galaxy Bridge Advertisement Episode, 'Beyond the Nexus' as it didn't fit anywhere in the Arc and when the Feature time was over it got shoved way back in the Arcs.

Who hasn't been paying attention?

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
    Curious to see how or why the bajorans suddenly get dragged into the story.

For me there are just too many loose threads currently to be tied up in a single episode without bringing more into the mix.

Martok has been rescued but not really done anything despite being hailed as a possible saviour against the tzeencth.

The eggs are starting to feel like a plot macguffin to be wheeled out from time to time, little to add and being an egg have virtually no chance of giving the player any sense of threat. They were being studied but nothing in the last episode told us anything about them other than they can hatch into insects that somehow evolved from the lemming boffs who love to jump into every pit and off every cliff they find. By the time we find out it's all a dream noone will care because it's taken way too long to find out.

The Tzencth sudden change of heart in the previous episode slapped a lid and nailed it shut on any long term combat storyline. But thats kind of like the iconians who got blamed for everything but didnt actually do all that much, also the wasted potenital of an iconian based red alert.

There was also the whole kentari thing which seemed to have skipped an episode so after the overly obvious betrayal they're suddenly making a colony full of warm fuzzy feelings on a planet in a system they were too stupid to scan beforehand. (Also that episode should really have been a two parter with the ship fight as a cliff hanger)

It's kind of like GoT where one series builds the story of the seer and tree then drops it totally for the next series in favour of some tacked on religious zealots who arrive, make a mess then go out with a bang. Maybe they made more sense if you'd read the books.
    Second question: is there going to be a new fiction blog for this episode?
  • melange#3807 melange Member Posts: 28 Cryptic Developer

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe

Quoth the Raven: Yay.
    The Eggs!!! They're ORBS!!!
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Don't forget Season 15 before the Expansion.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    We still know nothing about the Tzenkethi aside from their appearance, and this is already the final battle?
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    14.5 is Tuesday, I'm talking beyond that before the Expansion.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns