test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ground Combat and Cold Kit Awesomeness?

So I've be revising my ground kit stuff of late and picked up the Endothermic Induction Field and Cryonic Pulse do-dats given they're basically upgrades of my former Sonic Pulse and Exothermic Induction Field. But now I'm wondering; am I the only one who favours cold tricks in ground combat? If not, what kit tricks do you use? More importantly; why?

Comments

• fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    I have been considering using cold stuff, especially since some of it seems to lower cold resistance.

So far I'm sticking to exothermic induction field and hyperonic radiation on my Sci though, because there are Doffs for those powers. I haven't tried, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that, for example, the Biochemists that have a chance to lower enemies' resistance don't work with those cold modules.

And I like the effect Halla Vuk has on EIF.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • vosorosvosoros Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    I have been considering using cold stuff, especially since some of it seems to lower cold resistance.

So far I'm sticking to exothermic induction field and hyperonic radiation on my Sci though, because there are Doffs for those powers. I haven't tried, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that, for example, the Biochemists that have a chance to lower enemies' resistance don't work with those cold modules.

And I like the effect Halla Vuk has on EIF.

I have my DOFF's for improving those cooldowns too and they are nifty...but the cold boons of holding enemies so they don't inflict damage (whilst causing damage too) are proving more beneficial IMHO. So I've changed up my resistance boost from heals for the favour with a different DOFF given I have a few heal tricks on hand too.

The Arena of Sompek has tough me about a few failings and possible improvements...
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    For science characters the kits I use are:

- Medical Tricoder - For heals
    - Cold Flash Fusion - AoE cold damage and also guaranteed root
    - Endothermic Induction Field - Even more AoE cold damage
    - Gravimetric Detonation - AoE damage and useful on rooted enemies
    - Sonic Pulse - For crowd control

I also purchased the following ground traits from the Exchange:
    - Tricorder Analysis - Gives +30% critical severity for 8 seconds
    - Overcharging - Reduces kit power recharged time by 10% when shields are at 100%.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    I got a TOS Sci who's gone FULL Cryomancer. All cold kits. Got a Med Tricorder I can swap in though. I have noticed that the new Cryo Visor, while a shorter range, is a BETTER hold than Cryo Stasis Beam.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • smooshy#7462 smooshy Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    My Tacs can blast through ground combat no problem. My cold (plus radiation) Scis walk through it and barely notice.
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    For science characters the kits I use are:

- Medical Tricoder - For heals
    - Cold Flash Fusion - AoE cold damage and also guaranteed root
    - Endothermic Induction Field - Even more AoE cold damage
    - Gravimetric Detonation - AoE damage and useful on rooted enemies
    - Sonic Pulse - For crowd control

I also purchased the following ground traits from the Exchange:
    - Tricorder Analysis - Gives +30% critical severity for 8 seconds
    - Overcharging - Reduces kit power recharged time by 10% when shields are at 100%.

May I suggest an "upgrade" to a Cryonic Pulse rather than your Sonic Pulse...
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I swear by that Cold Fusion Flash on Science Captains or Science Boffs. In the Defera Ground Zone you throw one of the CFFs on the four Borg trying to assimilate a Deferi and you can just stand there as it takes then down. I usually pump in some TR-116B just to quicken however.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    My Cryomancer can be nasty on the ground.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    The only problem I have with ice modules is that, despite the fact that they can't be equipped with the regular versions of the same mods, they don't get any of the bonuses from DOffs or anything like that.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    The only problem I have with ice modules is that, despite the fact that they can't be equipped with the regular versions of the same mods, they don't get any of the bonuses from DOffs or anything like that.
    Borg also adapt to cold. They don't adapt to fire.
    I think the big thing for me with cryo-kit shenanigans is the hold factor that shuts the enemy down from damaging you and holds them in place. If my enemies can't fight back they can't harm me, knock me off my stride with their own tricks as I continue to fire at them AND I can keep those melee pests at a distance.

Assimilate this!

B)
    If you remodulate just BEFORE you throw the Cold Fusion Flash, they are toast.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    One thing I have noticed is that not all sources of cold damage are actually adapted to. Endothermic Induction Field doesn't seem to trigger it, and neither does the Cryo Stasis Field.

And I'm still upset that regular fire is impervious to adaptation, but plasma fires are apparently perfectly resistable (Seriously, the plasma flamethrower is really upsetting to me because they can adapt to it somehow)
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    We actually had a very extensive discussion about Cold during the QWW two years ago, down in the Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics sub-forum. At that time, we concluded that it wasn't really ready for prime time. Its very nice to see that things have changed for the better since then.

And as far as Borg, I swear by the Shotgun. The Sniper rifle is nice enough, and it too does Physical to which the Borg cannot adapt, but the Shottygun also knocks them down, at least with secondary. The great disadvantage of the Shotgun is that it is very weak against the shielded Borg, while the Sniper rifle effectively seems to ignore shields.

What I REALLY want that Tommy Gun that Picard used on the Borg in the holodeck. That thing was uber-awesome :)
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    I keep hoping that they make BOFF training manuals for the rest of the QWW kit modules. I want to outfit my all Andorian Away Team with all cold powers. :)
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    At least the Training Manuals for the QWW will be cheap enough, unlike the Summer Event prices.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • darkmatter909#7994 darkmatter909 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    I love the cryo grenade and the cryo warhead on my tac captain. I run one tac boff with it as well and the recharge on it is so fast it’s like it is always snowing on my enemies lol.
    One thing I hate is that a few of the winter modules are account bind on equip, while most of the rest are all character bind on pickup. I sent in a bug report, but I don't think it's gonna ever get fixed. (And I think engineering is the one profession that doesn't have one of those things)
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    vosoros wrote: »
    So I've be revising my ground kit stuff of late and picked up the Endothermic Induction Field and Cryonic Pulse do-dats given they're basically upgrades of my former Sonic Pulse and Exothermic Induction Field. But now I'm wondering; am I the only one who favours cold tricks in ground combat? If not, what kit tricks do you use? More importantly; why?

Yup, cold is fun. A year ago I tried to do a cold theme character on my Andorian AoY toon but gave up becouse my primary fun cold weapon, the CRM-200 was, and still is one year later, bugged on 2nd fire :( The toon was tactical so cryo grenade, cryo warhead and cryonic modulation were the good to go kits.
    For your sci toon, like others have mentioned, make sure you get Cold Fusion Flash skill too, its very good (there are plenty on the exchange).
    There is also another skill added, the new Universal Cryo Visor Kit Module. Dunno how good it is tho since other then the race I havent logged in for anything else.
  • reiklingraiderreiklingraider Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    My science toons love to play with the cryro kits but has to change them out if they go against the Breen.
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    All this time and nobodies used 'ice ice baby' in some context?
    For shame.
    mosul33 wrote: »
    vosoros wrote: »

Yup, cold is fun. A year ago I tried to do a cold theme character on my Andorian AoY toon but gave up becouse my primary fun cold weapon, the CRM-200 was, and still is one year later, bugged on 2nd fire :( The toon was tactical so cryo grenade, cryo warhead and cryonic modulation were the good to go kits.
    For your sci toon, like others have mentioned, make sure you get Cold Fusion Flash skill too, its very good (there are plenty on the exchange).
    There is also another skill added, the new Universal Cryo Visor Kit Module. Dunno how good it is tho since other then the race I havent logged in for anything else.

Well, I have 2 cold attack skills; Cryonic Pulse and Endothermic Induction Field, 2 healing skills; Medical Tricorder and Nanite thingymagigger and 1 evasive trick in the form of the Phasic Shroud.

I try to balance offense with defence so I can adapt as the situation demands...for the most part. The Cold Fusion Flash skill does sound fun however. I just need a freezey healing thing to remove the nanite skill for. Maybe next year a freezy heal thing will be a thing...you know, with a better name than; Freezey Healing Thing. lol
    burstorion wrote: »
    All this time and nobodies used 'ice ice baby' in some context?
    For shame.

Snow-body at all...

:D