test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What Do You Think? 2017 Winter Event!

Comments

• xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Same old, same old, but I like it. Personally I would love more PvP races but there you go with more events - the individual ones are happening less often.

The Kramp'Ihri is a nice addition as an event, not my favorite, but not the worst either.

The snowball fight disappearing snowmen bug is somewhat annoying. Of course, when you have completed your Snowman About Town accolade you know where the big groups are and they don't disappear, but that should be fixed.

The Kramp'Ihri popup is, despite the nice answer "impressive", really annoying for everybody not having participated in it. Not a real problem, but I second and third the motions about this one and our temporal agent friend.
    flesson616 wrote: »
    yeah another ice race fr another breen ship like last year, when was the last eng ship given away

In winter the Rezreth in 2015. All around last summer with the Vorgon carrier.
    nemef wrote: »
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Now that they've sucked the fun out of it under the banner of anti-griefing
    Could you elaborate on that?

@lordmalak1 I also haven't noticed any difference to previous years, so please care to explain?
    rhyusss wrote: »
    Ok, so, it's been a couple of days since the event has started. I do NOT like that you have taken away a perfectly good schedule for the events only to have them appear randomly. Or if there is a set schedule, it's nothing like what it use to be, just like what you did for the summer event, only to add a new event into both, which throws the schedule off a great deal. Now the competitive race is back to back, instead of being quarter after and quarter till the hour. You should have each event happen at least once an hour. And if they run into the next event, so what. People will have to choose which event(s) they want to do.

There is a schedule, it's not random, and two back to back races is nothing new either (there was always just enough time inbetween to do the daily race). Making parallel events would have the problem that most (all) events are way more fun when more players are there, artificially restricting that wouldn't help.And yes, some will never do the PvP race, some won't go fishing, but unless they're in the same zone, that doesn't help here.
    the race only being in this unadvertised and unpredictable 90 minute interval,

Well, for advertisement, there is the schedule of events. It doesn't spell out "90 minutes", but it's easily recognizable. As for "unpredictable 90 minute interval", that's a contradiction in terms.
    Just tap f and it goes away.

that is sometimes more difficult than it looks because you need to take your hand off the mouse to press f and hope you are not coming up to a tricky set of corners requiring the use of the mouse to scroll around the camera. i don't like the follow camera on sto, i never have.

Well, if you use WASD on your left hand, then F is right next to D. Annoying it is though.
    warpangel wrote: »
    The kramp requires a bit of subtle strategy that, as usual, flies over the head of many a player. It's not just about shooting it.

That's STO for you though. Do something else than pew pew and you get accused of slacking, even if what you are doing is required to finish the mission.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    warpangel wrote: »
    The kramp requires a bit of subtle strategy that, as usual, flies over the head of many a player. It's not just about shooting it.

If you want the accolades as fast as possible, you only want shoot at the kramp enough to make it start putting out red presents. Unfortunately, you can bet someone will almost always keep shooting at it until it resets and waste everyone's time.

Wait, what? Please, explain "resetting presents" part of this?

Nevermind...I found it. It is in the other thread...I read but did not remember,
    Post edited by where2r1 on
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    i just race for ships, never got time for competitive races for epoh pets or ice fish, been mostly spend more time with Neverwinter's winter wonderland.
    i did once on Krumpket, it is fun but cant do all the times for extra ornaments.
    those didnt give me chances on The Champions due to limited inventory investment.

i used to do those on first Q's winter wonderland, then doing 2nd year got me burnout, too many captians until they changed to only need 1 active captian to complete to unlock for all alts, that made me so happy.
  • shodan#9788 shodan Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Are the Cherry epohhs extremely rare? I've been running the research since near the start of the event and have gotten none.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The RNG is a fickle mistress. You might never get one :/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • captainfarstarcaptainfarstar Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    It's the came TRIBBLE as last year for the ship, skate on track for tokens. It's been the same for years. How about we just get the ship as present and cut out the poinltess repetitive track.
  • stlheestlhee Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Is there any chance to fix winter event's bug (eg. snowmen' disappering, krampiri popup, missing beam up button) before end of event, pls?
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    You'll be lucky to get those fixes for next year. No way with a week left that they will fix this now. Sorry.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • stlheestlhee Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    I think so :)
    How about we just get the ship as present and cut out the poinltess repetitive track.

Venturing a guess here: won't happen.
  • thastothasto Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    I'd like to see some different outfits for one thing. Maybe hoodies? Hoodies would be pretty awesome. I'm getting a bit tired of multi-coloured coats of varying utility.

The ice rink is getting a bit irritating. I've been to what, seven of these? Never can manage to get anywhere close to enough for a ship.

It'd be nice if we could get holiday-themed recipes, maybe, that we can add to personal replicators. . . or something. I'd love to add minty raktajinos and have them in July.

EDIT: Earmuffs! Earmuffs would be nice, too. Look at my head! I look silly in a tuque! ;^)
    Post edited by thasto on
    Currently Hosting Outpost Phoenix, a United Space Federation Chat-Based Star Trek Sim. New players are always welcome! Come check us out!
    Double tap W on the corners. Rolling is your friend.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Are all of the animated/moving snowmen colored pink this year?
    Even my Snowman pet is pink.

Is it just me?

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »

Or just wait until you have no opponent and jog around.
    where2r1 wrote: »

Is it just me?
    That's probably a side effect of the sky being weird colors.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Not one time, this year at least, did I get no opponent.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns

Is it just me?

Hmm...I noticed the sky was colorful (but I liked it)...but could not remember if it changed from last year. I will have to go look at some old screen shots.

I wonder why the sky color would bleed over on to snowmen? Probably, something similar to when the suns were bleeding through walls and everything for a while there.

Snowman pet probably won't get fixed (like the Risa birds and my Rom's Selat cat is still acting like a dog)...not gonna bother with a bug report.

Those snowpersons are part of a social justice movement working to end wars and occupations against snow-kind. ;)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns

Is it just me?

Hmm...I noticed the sky was colorful (but I liked it)...but could not remember if it changed from last year. I will have to go look at some old screen shots.

I wonder why the sky color would bleed over on to snowmen? Probably, something similar to when the suns were bleeding through walls and everything for a while there.

Snowman pet probably won't get fixed (like the Risa birds and my Rom's Selat cat is still acting like a dog)...not gonna bother with a bug report.
    It's part of the lighting revamp. AFAIK this was the first WW since lighting 2.0. A lot of surfaces have colored reflections now.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User

Or just wait until you have no opponent and jog around.
    Not one time, this year at least, did I get no opponent.

There was one evening where I got 4 in a row but the game soon saw sense and stopped providing one for me.
  • cptdungeoncptdungeon Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    Lots of stuff to do now. That's good. Winter race is now 5 years old and takes a solid 3.33 (non-recurring of course) weeks to complete. I think with all the new activities there are, you should make it so you can do any of them and get the 40 photos. Would feel less grindy and that race is getting pretty old. I've done it every year and it's just something I have to do not that I want to do.
    The individual's rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the state.... nothing is so dangerous to a society.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    Curiously I still enjoy the races (PvE and PvP both) after all those years. It of course heps that I don't have to run the PvE race dozens a time per day like on the first F2P winter event for Chel Grett, that was indeed getting pretty grindy...
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    Wish I had more time to play.
    I also wish I had started sooner. I'm still working my way through alts just to start the project for the new ship.
    Also, during the 2 years I could not play, I was awarded some 280 Q Portraits to finish 2016's project; but I missed that winter completely, and have 280 portraits that cannot be applied either to old projects or new. Can we fix this, please?
    Also, making previous years ships available as options would be nice! Some of us returning players have new characters that we'd like to get the other ships. The ships I missed in 2015 & 2016 were no fault of mine; the big patch I did to play the summer 2015 event, wrecked my game on the laptop that I had; I could not get it to patch again, not could I uninstall it; it became an unfixable mess. I eventually gave up on calling customer service as no-one would ever answer no matter when I called. I eventually got a new computer and back into the game.
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • benselassem#4731 benselassem Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    I just wish the pie eating was at aplace without event, so that could eat my pies without being attacked by snowmen... it is so rarely I have time to eat pies, and today it happend to be during cones of conduct.
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    I just wish the pie eating was at aplace without event, so that could eat my pies without being attacked by snowmen... it is so rarely I have time to eat pies, and today it happend to be during cones of conduct.

I second this!! It's one thing that I have to pay attention to the rotation of area-wide minigames, so I can do my races free and clear of the Snowball Fights. I have not found the Pie Eating Contest's new location; since it wasn't where I expected it I thought it was removed.
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    So far quite likd the event, never was much for the pvp race, but overall I do at least each of the other events once each day. I will say though I was hoping that the Breen raider would have come with a breen type heavy/experimental weapon on it. Something like a heavy rail cannon that uses has a kinetic an cold split damage.
  • oonamistwalkeroonamistwalker Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    This is the first time I've participated in the Winter Event, and I want to thank the devs and staff.

My favorite weapon was the caramel assault launcher. Shooting a child-hating Klingon demon with the Willy Wonka version of napalm made me laugh a lot.

Realizing that Klingons ice fish by simply punching them made me wish one of the TV series had included that in an episode. I liked doing it so much I probably should worry about that.

I enjoyed ganking the Snow Borg with a great group of people too.

What I liked best about the winter event, and about STO in general, is the great people that make up the player base AND the way the game is designed to bring these people together and facilitates doing that. I like the way the elite players can play their style and the people who are newbies can play theirs without getting on each others nerves and driving each other away.

I wish I had been in the room when the caramel assault launcher was developed and designed. OMG, someone has a rich sense of humor. Kudos to the sense of humor behind this great event!
  • shodan#9788 shodan Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    The RNG is a fickle mistress. You might never get one :/

Haha more like bipolar... now I have at least 4 of them, all in a row practically. Hey, better late than never!
    edited January 2018
    sarvour0 wrote: »
    Wish I had more time to play.
    I also wish I had started sooner. I'm still working my way through alts just to start the project for the new ship.
    Also, during the 2 years I could not play, I was awarded some 280 Q Portraits to finish 2016's project; but I missed that winter completely, and have 280 portraits that cannot be applied either to old projects or new. Can we fix this, please?
    Also, making previous years ships available as options would be nice! Some of us returning players have new characters that we'd like to get the other ships. The ships I missed in 2015 & 2016 were no fault of mine; the big patch I did to play the summer 2015 event, wrecked my game on the laptop that I had; I could not get it to patch again, not could I uninstall it; it became an unfixable mess. I eventually gave up on calling customer service as no-one would ever answer no matter when I called. I eventually got a new computer and back into the game.

There used to be a place in the event store where you could buy minor stuff with the old portraits, like emotes.

And while I would support bringing in the option to get old ships on an account unlock (unlikely thanks to them being included in the Phoenix rewards) the "no fault of mine" line holds no merit. A company cannot change their schedule every time something untowards happens to one or two of their customers. Arguably it was your laptop being too weak, or some special constellation. If having troubles with the patch were more common, something would have been done about it.

I third that, very good point. Also, having a small diversional minigame in an off location makes it that much less interesting. Arguably most people center in around the gazebo, spending more time to get to a minigame than to actually play it isn't that enticing to me, so I haven't eaten many pies those last years.