test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re-Engineering - Thoughts?

Comments

• bumperthumperbumperthumper Member Posts: 513 Arc User
    [Arc] (180' targeting arc) mod for torps please.

This would be fun, but may break energy torpedo functions, if applied.
    A proud member of The Collective ARMADA
    NOT A FAN OF ARC!
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    Well, it's not weapon visual overrides, but it's something a lot of people were asking for, so it's something. Will make lockbox drops a lot more interesting, to say the least.

It will make me much more likely to open lockboxes. Not getting the ship sucks, getting a weapons pack instead isn't too bad, except for the fact that 99% of the time, for me, the weapon I get comes out with all crappy mods. Being able to re-roll those crappy mods and hopefully get something decent instead ? Might just mean more lockboxes getting opened.

LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    [Arc] (180' targeting arc) mod for torps please.

That would kill sales a bit for the Assault Cruisers, since they come with these torpedoes by default. People would be buying the ships then only for the consoles/Trait and not exactly for rest of the ship.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • zuigje010zuigje010 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @zuigje010 said:
    > This is yet another step in the wrong direction, how many more of these pointless features are they going to introduce?
    > There is hardly anything to do at 60 then old content over and over, every new update/season or what they love to call "expansion" has hardly any playable content, so why introduce this silly idea and on top of that again charge the few players left in this game with dil.....
    >
    > It is already a pain to upgrade items and not getting the right mod feels like a waste of time and dil, now introducing this feature seems like an continuous torture of wasting already so much dil.
    > And judging by the image, you need to randomize? You mean it's still RNG to get the right mod? You can't even choose?
    >
    > Do you hate your small player base that much? You want more people to quit?
    >
    > Remove the cost for dil. at least for your players, come on for crying out loud.

You don't know much about games do you? Besides we need more Dill sinks, the dillex is still way too high.

Yet most games that I know and play have a much better system that doesn't feel time consuming, costly and a big gamble. And yeah the dil exchange has been over the top since they introduced zen and removed c points. It used to be 60dil for 1 zen. Your reply makes me chuckle and I wonder if you have played STO long enough....
    If you want the dil exchange to be lowered then Cryptic should make a fix on the dil exchange and not introduce costly features upon existing features that already costs a big amount of dil that most people had to grind for or had to pay zen for to exchange into dil. to make the dil exchange sink........
    come on now.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    So much this! Well assuming it actually works on special gear. :/ The blog had a list of things you can't re-engineer, and FE rewards was included.

Except that the Dominion Polaron beam array and dual cannons are not exactly FE rewards. They're not part of a set at all. Just a special flavor of Polaron that comes with an added Tetryon proc but doesn't take up a mod slot for it. Hell... I ground out a full set of 6 for a cruiser build on my main once.
    zuigje010 wrote: »
    This is yet another step in the wrong direction, how many more of these pointless features are they going to introduce?
    There is hardly anything to do at 60 then old content over and over, every new update/season or what they love to call "expansion" has hardly any playable content, so why introduce this silly idea and on top of that again charge the few players left in this game with dil.....

It is already a pain to upgrade items and not getting the right mod feels like a waste of time and dil, now introducing this feature seems like an continuous torture of wasting already so much dil.
    And judging by the image, you need to randomize? You mean it's still RNG to get the right mod? You can't even choose?

Do you hate your small player base that much? You want more people to quit?

Remove the cost for dil. at least for your players, come on for crying out loud.

A Dilithium sink helps to balance out the Dilithium Exchange. What exactly is so important that you need a stockpile of Dilithium for that you're going off on the not so painful as upgrading DL cost? You solo building a fleet? You saving up for the EXTREMELY overpriced DL Store cosmetic outfits?

I mean... 1k DL is pretty much pocket change for most players. We can pretty much get that in a single Infected run if you turn your marks into DL as well.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    zuigje010 wrote: »
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @zuigje010 said:
    > This is yet another step in the wrong direction, how many more of these pointless features are they going to introduce?
    > There is hardly anything to do at 60 then old content over and over, every new update/season or what they love to call "expansion" has hardly any playable content, so why introduce this silly idea and on top of that again charge the few players left in this game with dil.....
    >
    > It is already a pain to upgrade items and not getting the right mod feels like a waste of time and dil, now introducing this feature seems like an continuous torture of wasting already so much dil.
    > And judging by the image, you need to randomize? You mean it's still RNG to get the right mod? You can't even choose?
    >
    > Do you hate your small player base that much? You want more people to quit?
    >
    > Remove the cost for dil. at least for your players, come on for crying out loud.

You don't know much about games do you? Besides we need more Dill sinks, the dillex is still way too high.

Yet most games that I know and play have a much better system that doesn't feel time consuming, costly and a big gamble. And yeah the dil exchange has been over the top since they introduced zen and removed c points. It used to be 60dil for 1 zen. Your reply makes me chuckle and I wonder if you have played STO long enough....
    If you want the dil exchange to be lowered then Cryptic should make a fix on the dil exchange and not introduce costly features upon existing features that already costs a big amount of dil that most people had to grind for or had to pay zen for to exchange into dil. to make the dil exchange sink........
    come on now.

[ Citation Needed ]

Please name 5 other F2P MMOs with cheaper and better endgame gear crafting, and describe how their system is better. It should be easy if "most" of them are that way. Remember the F2P part since you are paying $0 for story content.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    So much this! Well assuming it actually works on special gear. :/ The blog had a list of things you can't re-engineer, and FE rewards was included.
    Except that the Dominion Polaron beam array and dual cannons are not exactly FE rewards. They're not part of a set at all. Just a special flavor of Polaron that comes with an added Tetryon proc but doesn't take up a mod slot for it. Hell... I ground out a full set of 6 for a cruiser build on my main once.
    Hmm... well, they're going to have to wait since they have one less listed mod than normal. :/

Actually it looks like all dual-proc weapons will.... I like those :/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • zebulongileszebulongiles Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    You can lock the mods you want to keep, they already showed that.
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    This is an EXCELLENT addition to the game. I recall how upset many ppl were when they saw gear upgrades were going to be RNG with the added expense of precious Dilithium. Maybe this will turn those frowns upside down? I for one like this innovation.

STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
    Hmm... well, they're going to have to wait since they have one less listed mod than normal. :/

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Dominion_Polaron_Beam_Array
    Not really sure as blue has 2 mods right? And the Dominion Polaron array always comes with [CrtH][Dmg]
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    In Leeta’s voice

“Pull the lever, and win... maybe!”
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    After messing around with the system on tribble, I can envision that re-engineering will work out pretty well. The only thing I would say is that it is way too cheap to do re=rolls right now. The cost has to go way up for the system to make any sense.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    After messing around with the system on tribble, I can envision that re-engineering will work out pretty well. The only thing I would say is that it is way too cheap to do re=rolls right now. The cost has to go way up for the system to make any sense.

Sounds good and thanks for testing. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    Well... it is only in the testing phase. However perhaps we should also consider what would be more acceptable, especially for lower end players as well as us higher end players. We gotta be sure to find a balance so that it is accessable to everyone.

I haven't messed with it myself yet but... it is interesting that the DL cost goes down while the salvage cost goes up the more mods you're re-rolling.

But maybe until we know more about the amount of salvage we can get per quality level... we should not start throwing numbers around.
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    if you haven't seen it yet SOB aka Startrekker on Reddit has posted a nice insightful video showing the new system

https://youtu.be/PbJManLkwAE

RNG is the only thing putting me off this system. I mean its RNG to craft the basic weapon which is a flurking nightmare can take hundreds of attempts to get that crtdx2 pen if you don't have the funds to buy off exchange/RNG to upgrade rarity and now RNG with Re-Engineering to re-roll mods as you'll have to have an Epic weapon to begin with to re-roll for the new Epic mods ?

With that much RNG I am struggling to find enthusiasm for this new system.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User

Personally i am a sucker for the plasma disruptors.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Never, ever tell Cryptic that something is way too cheap. You will regret the outcome.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    if you haven't seen it yet SOB aka Startrekker on Reddit has posted a nice insightful video showing the new system

https://youtu.be/PbJManLkwAE

RNG is the only thing putting me off this system. I mean its RNG to craft the basic weapon which is a flurking nightmare can take hundreds of attempts to get that crtdx2 pen if you don't have the funds to buy off exchange/RNG to upgrade rarity and now RNG with Re-Engineering to re-roll mods as you'll have to have an Epic weapon to begin with to re-roll for the new Epic mods ?

it my help to keep in mind this system cuts out that first nightmare almost completely. yeah closer what you want is faster but as long as its got the crafted mod it'll get there. and keep in mind you don't have to sit down and do it all at once. also unlike making mk IIs and hoping you get what you want as you upgrade, you can't lose progress.

personally my plan, after they open it up more, is do 2 mods at a time. once I get what I want stop for the day. yeah it'll forever but I spent two years getting my bird of prey where it is, a couple monthes to min/max it a lot better isn't gonna be a problem. and not gonna burn out this way.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I hope that fleet weapons can be modded, so I can start with good mods, and go from there, I like the system so far, its more cost efficient (at least for me), my crafter will be happy!, I'll be able to build and the tweak my weapons to perfection!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    I'd rather they give me a reason to care about the mods first.

Why do you need a reason to care?

I personally run with whatever mods I get on my items. I get by most of the time just fine with what I have on my main character.
    *I* don't need a reason to care about anything in this game. I have other things to spend my spare time on, if STO doesn't pick itself up from the boredom heap.

But the devs, presumably, should want players to play the game and that by necessity requires players to care.
    Here's a tentative list of the new mods:

[Ac-2]
    [CrtD2]
    [CrtH2]
    [Ac/Dm] (existing)
    [CritD/Dm]
    [CritH/Dm]
    [Ac/CrtH]
    [CritH/CritD]

Interesting, but was hoping to see some new stuff, not new combinations of the same old things.
    Those aren't even new combinations, just new ways of spelling existing combinations. As if [Ac-2] is any different from [Acc]x2 or whatever. Lame. :disappointed:
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User

If I understand bort correctly, you only need a weapon with the [Pen] mod, since "crafting mods" are not available in the upgrade slot machine. So, [Acc]x2[Pen] will work, since you can spin-to-win on the two [Acc] mods and (eventually) get the mods you wanted.
  • leemwatsonleemwatson Member Posts: 5,331 Arc User

I personally run with whatever mods I get on my items. I get by most of the time just fine with what I have on my main character.
    *I* don't need a reason to care about anything in this game. I have other things to spend my spare time on, if STO doesn't pick itself up from the boredom heap.

But the devs, presumably, should want players to play the game and that by necessity requires players to care.

[Ac-2]
    [CrtD2]
    [CrtH2]
    [Ac/Dm] (existing)
    [CritD/Dm]
    [CritH/Dm]
    [Ac/CrtH]
    [CritH/CritD]

Interesting, but was hoping to see some new stuff, not new combinations of the same old things.
    Those aren't even new combinations, just new ways of spelling existing combinations. As if [Ac-2] is any different from [Acc]x2 or whatever. Lame. :disappointed:

They are the new EPIC mods which all have an innate 'hidden' DMG modifier included with them.
    "You don't want to patrol!? You don't want to escort!? You don't want to defend the Federation's Starbases!? Then why are you flying my Starships!? If you were a Klingon you'd be killed on the spot, but lucky for you.....you WERE in Starfleet. Let's see how New Zealand Penal Colony suits you." Adm A. Necheyev.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    leemwatson wrote: »

[Ac-2]
    [CrtD2]
    [CrtH2]
    [Ac/Dm] (existing)
    [CritD/Dm]
    [CritH/Dm]
    [Ac/CrtH]
    [CritH/CritD]

They are the new EPIC mods which all have an innate 'hidden' DMG modifier included with them.
    Which is all just more of the same.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User

[Ac-2]
    [CrtD2]
    [CrtH2]
    [Ac/Dm] (existing)
    [CritD/Dm]
    [CritH/Dm]
    [Ac/CrtH]
    [CritH/CritD]

Where is Acc/CritD mod?

with the increase miss for FAW and SV having at least 1 Acc is good.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    I think this will crash the market of special weapons. You know, the Coalition disruptors that have all the 'right' modifiers that can be very expensive because they're so difficult to get?

If you have some of those weapons with good modifiers, I'd sell them before the new system is released. Cause prices will likely go down.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    On the other hand... the supply of all the various lockbox weapons are probably gonna go up now.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    As for the system itself:

I probably won't be using it very often. I have never really cared for getting as much CrtD or Pen on my weapons, and I certainly don't care whether there's more Dmg or Acc on them.

Maybe I'll change a few pieces of gear, maybe not.

I wonder what they're going to do with reputation gear and episode rewards eventually. Those sets are usually very well balanced, and for some of their characteristics we don't really have a modifier yet (for instance, the boost to the engines that some Lukari and Braydon gear has).
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.