test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What Do You Think? 2017 Winter Event!

Comments

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    You need to buy it from your Winter Store Tab under your Reputation Events Category. They are also available to buy from the Ferengi Vendor near the Tailor.

You must unlock the Winter Store the first time around. There is a Project that you must Slot on your Reputation Events Tab that you should auto get when you land there. They give you one ornament that you apply to that Project and that will complete and Unlock the Winter Store on your Reputation Event Tab.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • caltaircaltair Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    I like the Klingon Fishing event the best I think, especially after I got the Ice Boots lol.

One thing I have noticed though is that a lot of people, myself included, are constantly asking which snow weapons they should get. The tooltips explaining these snow weapons is pretty sparse on information, so I think it would be a huge relief to the chat zone to see these tooltips enhanced with enough info for players who are new to the Winter Event to know how to compare the weapons.
    Regular weapons have some info explaining how much damage they do etc. but the snow weapons just uses much more vague terms like "medium damage to one opponent" and what not. I know it might be difficult to specify exact damage totals, depending on how that part of the game is programmed, but more specifics would save people a lot of headaches.

Thanks.
    liCO4Xm.jpg
  • rhenvar42rhenvar42 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    Personally, I don't mind the Winter event. I just do the Ice race, then go on to do other things. Now the summer event......
  • stlheestlhee Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    It was my favourite part of the game until this year. But now I'm very disappointed about it, because they don't fix buges. For example snowball fight is unplayable this year without snowmen (they don't respawn if kill them).
  • omega6theta1omega6theta1 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    Always liked it, but as the poster above said, the snowball fight is very frustrating because the snowmen are bugged, they despawn as soon as they pop up ... you hear them appear and they show for a split second on the map but then disappear.
  • flesson616flesson616 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    yeah another ice race fr another breen ship like last year, when was the last eng ship given away
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    flesson616 wrote: »
    yeah another ice race fr another breen ship like last year, when was the last eng ship given away
    Rezreth, 2015 iirc.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Last year was the T6 Chel Brek.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited December 2017
    The Chel Boalg has Comm Tac though, not eng.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • tobywitczaktobywitczak Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    After three Winters Events it is getting a bit repetitive. That might not be the correct word to use, it’s more of the missions are too long, or more to the point too much lead up and cool down for each event making the whole process a hurry up and wait between events.

I would just add a site to site transporter for each starting event to get people to the location faster that way you can shave off a few minutes to the back end of all the events. A good example is right now we have 1 minute to reach the start, and 5 minutes to complete the race. That’s 6 minutes for a race that you can walk in under 3. Its stuff like this that makes all the missions dawn out.

Also you can reduce the Completive Race to one per hour if you also add in giving people 1 Epho tag per mission event they participated in. Maybe do something along the lines of 4 Epho tags for payer that does the most damage, 3 for Epho tags for second place, 2 Epho tags for third, and finally 1 Epho tag for everyone else.

Also because the events are not to everyone's tastes, Reduce the event from 40 to 30 days but increase the Winter Prize Vouchers to 50 per day. This makes the events shorter while still giving people the time to get the prize.

Also can we get a fall themed Klingon Event (Klingon + Q+ Halloween = Awesome!)
    Also can we get a Spring themed Romulan Event (Romulan + Q+ New Romulus = Awesome!)
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    my impression:

i don't mind the Kramp'ihri; but that "naughty children" thing is a bit patronising, it feels like it was aimed a little too low on the bar for content for age group.

the klingon fishing i know was around last year but i wasn't there for that, i find the gummy worm has far too many defensive skills for my liking. it most certaintly isn't friendly if not down right hostile to melee players because they can't get near it due to how fast it's defensive cd's pop and how long it takes to getting knocked half way across the map. Those defensive abilities need to be nerfed a little, make it a little more friendly for all types of players instead of just ranged.

the zerg of snowmen are a bit much, i think one or two could be pulled out of each group and a slightly longer delay on their spawn points, nothing major. As it is, it is a bit over the top for casual play.

that fastest game on ice race for the autographs, that signalling for ready and the last player in a group to signal gets to jump to the front and skip the countdown to race, as well as those doing it clean and being rooted and in some cases going beyond the countdown timer and still being rooted. that whole area needs to be looked at. In addition there is a whole section of track that can be cut that needs to be looked at.

the competitive race, could do with a restriction on bunny hoppers by removal of the jump ability for everywhere and a compete redo of the whole course so it can't be exploited like that, in addition it makes greater use of the frosted boots by design as you got players skating along at speed.

the gingerbread village and snowconian could be made into a second seperate pve queue event and that are could be used for something else.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    I would just add a site to site transporter for each starting event to get people to the location faster
    That'd be nice. Running to Tide of ice or the gingerbread village takes a long time.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • conrad#2131 conrad Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    > @hawku001x said:
    > I enjoy this event every year. People often ask me why I won't go outside and play in real snow. Well, real snow is cold, and this event facilitates simulated snow in a warm environment.
    > tinemune wrote: »
    >
    > I want to be able to earn the previous years ships, bring back that feature for those that come in during later years or missed the event from the year before. Makes no sense why you guys wont let us do it anymore after so many years of being able to.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Me too. This would be great.

I'm currently working on last year's but only cos I had the event slotted from 2015 actually not last year's even year before
  • titanhoss#9356 titanhoss Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    I still don't like that mid fastest game on ice race the Krampiri resuts popup comes up taking up 3/4 of your screen, when you -clearly- aren't even participating in the event and I don't know, need to actually be able to -see- the stupid race track you are trying to maneuver on...
    Or then get knocked out of bpounds by snowmen...
    Just tap f and it goes away.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    I never did just got my pc back :(.. So i was late for the event to gt the ship.
    If you slot the event rep project for the ship you can finish it next year.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User

that is sometimes more difficult than it looks because you need to take your hand off the mouse to press f and hope you are not coming up to a tricky set of corners requiring the use of the mouse to scroll around the camera. i don't like the follow camera on sto, i never have.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    or if it pops up in the middle of one of said tricky corners, and the time it takes to move the finger to type F is enough for you to run off the side of the track.
  • I still don't like that mid fastest game on ice race the Krampiri resuts popup comes up taking up 3/4 of your screen, when you -clearly- aren't even participating in the event and I don't know, need to actually be able to -see- the stupid race track you are trying to maneuver on...
    Yes, that isn't well done.
    Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    [Emotes] Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072: Qapla', Captain Nog!
    Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog with respect.

R'Miia@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    R'Miia@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog.

She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    [Emotes] She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072: Qapla', Captain Nog!
    She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog with respect.

Yozit'yaza@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Nog.
    Yozit'yaza@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Nog.

• fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    One thing I don't like at all about the Krampiri event is that, if you want to get the accolades you need to make sure you're not the first one to arrive there and shoot at him.

Once again people are being rewarded for not doing anything, basically. Reward-wise it's even worse designed than the Voth battlezone.

[4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    And that is a complaint I have with regard to all Winter wonderland accolades now that I'm thinking about it. The Winter invasion also rewards egotistical behaviour, encouraging people to care more about the accolades than the actual mission.

At least the summer event accolades are an individual thing and you can get them regardless of what other players are doing. Here there's constant competition if you want to get them. I would suggest to make the accolades a team thing - it seems that the present is already registered on the team level since I'm getting 'M'Zowla has found the hidden recipe' announcements even when a team member collects it and I'm completely ignoring it myself.

Players would still be encouraged to play the Winter invasion event since you need to do them multiple times anyway to get all the accolades.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.

that is sometimes more difficult than it looks because you need to take your hand off the mouse to press f and hope you are not coming up to a tricky set of corners requiring the use of the mouse to scroll around the camera. i don't like the follow camera on sto, i never have.
    All I need to steer is A and D. I actually turn on autorun. IF I feel the need to stop I just tap S.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6AP1EBjEtc
    In the video I turned on autorun, and toggled on sprinting while held, and simply turned when appropriate. So for me it's just a matter of moving my finger from D to F for a sec.

I actually don't use the mouse much on ground. Mostly just manual targeting, or if I'm staring at the scenery.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    One thing I don't like at all about the Krampiri event is that, if you want to get the accolades you need to make sure you're not the first one to arrive there and shoot at him.

Once again people are being rewarded for not doing anything, basically. Reward-wise it's even worse designed than the Voth battlezone.
    End of event rewards for Kramp are partially based on presents opened. So grabbing boxes gives your team loot. It obviously give you MORe loot, but someone has to open the boxes.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing

End of event rewards for Kramp are partially based on presents opened. So grabbing boxes gives your team loot. It obviously give you MORe loot, but someone has to open the boxes.

True but it's still encouraging players not to shoot the elves and krampiri and just care about the presents.

True but it's still encouraging players not to shoot the elves and krampiri and just care about the presents.
    Well... Rescuing the Kramlhri's prisoners is part of the mission.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

The kramp requires a bit of subtle strategy that, as usual, flies over the head of many a player. It's not just about shooting it.

If you want the accolades as fast as possible, you only want shoot at the kramp enough to make it start putting out red presents. Unfortunately, you can bet someone will almost always keep shooting at it until it resets and waste everyone's time.