What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rattler's Annual Tips and Tricks Thread

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    anodynes wrote: »
    Some tips for the Kramp'Ihri:

1. Even if you don't need any of that color, open the presents that he drops. They might contain Ornament Fragments, commodities or Gingerbread people. All of these help to make the activity more rewarding for everyone.

2. If you want red presents, stop shooting at him when he gets to about 25% health. He will then toss 5 presents each time, rather than 4, and 3 of them will be red. Chasing him off only gives you 1 commodity, and it probably costs at least 1 present toss each time. You'll make that commodity up in Ornament Fragments, commodities or Gingerbread people (they give a commodity for every 2 released) and will keep him from resetting back to mostly-green presents for the next few tosses.

3. Try not to kite him away when he's targeting you. Circle him, or just let him hit you until you get frozen. He'll pick someone else after you get frozen.

OOO I needed those tips. Thanks :)

OH Question: do you have a tip for keeping Krampy occupied while everyone else is trying to open those packages?
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Also, the same things that make it harder for Snowmen to kill you make it harder for Kramp to do it. (Armor with passive regen, Regen traits, tec...)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited December 2017
    Also, the same things that make it harder for Snowmen to kill you make it harder for Kramp to do it. (Armor with passive regen, Regen traits, tec...)

You mean FREEZE...not kill. LOL!

I got trapped in a basket and whipped. Is that the Krampy version of getting frozen?
    Otherwise, I am holding my own pretty good against the freak.

I just wish there was something I could do to divert him while people are trying to open boxes.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »

1. Even if you don't need any of that color, open the presents that he drops. They might contain Ornament Fragments, commodities or Gingerbread people. All of these help to make the activity more rewarding for everyone.

2. If you want red presents, stop shooting at him when he gets to about 25% health. He will then toss 5 presents each time, rather than 4, and 3 of them will be red. Chasing him off only gives you 1 commodity, and it probably costs at least 1 present toss each time. You'll make that commodity up in Ornament Fragments, commodities or Gingerbread people (they give a commodity for every 2 released) and will keep him from resetting back to mostly-green presents for the next few tosses.

3. Try not to kite him away when he's targeting you. Circle him, or just let him hit you until you get frozen. He'll pick someone else after you get frozen.

OH Question: do you have a tip for keeping Krampy occupied while everyone else is trying to open those packages?

That's tough if he isn't targeting you. It's very difficult to open presents when he is targeting you, but you can run to a far one and work on that. You'll probably be able to open it while he's closing the gap between you. This will also give anyone else there a chance to get theirs open.

I would say that if you're looking to be the tank and hold aggro while others open presents, be sure to shoot him before they do, preferably from up close. Once he picks a target, he tends to stay with it until it's destroyed or frozen. If you want a free-for-all on presents, then set a turret or other device and hope that everyone waits until it fires on him so that he picks that as his target. That way he'll stay off of everyone while they open presents unless one happens to be right on the turret or other device. Gingerbread Defenders are actually very good at holding his aggro and survive a very long time, plus it's very funny when he bags one.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.

That's tough if he isn't targeting you. It's very difficult to open presents when he is targeting you, but you can run to a far one and work on that. You'll probably be able to open it while he's closing the gap between you. This will also give anyone else there a chance to get theirs open.

I would say that if you're looking to be the tank and hold aggro while others open presents, be sure to shoot him before they do, preferably from up close. Once he picks a target, he tends to stay with it until it's destroyed or frozen. If you want a free-for-all on presents, then set a turret or other device and hope that everyone waits until it fires on him so that he picks that as his target. That way he'll stay off of everyone while they open presents unless one happens to be right on the turret or other device. Gingerbread Defenders are actually very good at holding his aggro and survive a very long time, plus it's very funny when he bags one.

Ah...too bad playing with groups in this game is kinda like herding cats.
    BUT....I will definitely have to break out the Gingerbread guys next time and try it.

• zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    I made a vid of me doing the PvE race
    https://youtu.be/H6AP1EBjEtc

I just watched this again. And I am reminded of something my mother used to say.
    "Showin' is better than tellin'." And that is exactly what you did. :)

Rattler: Keep this vid handy for next years WE Tippy Thread. :)
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
    You mean FREEZE...not kill. LOL!

I got trapped in a basket and whipped. Is that the Krampy version of getting frozen?
    Otherwise, I am holding my own pretty good against the freak.

I just wish there was something I could do to divert him while people are trying to open boxes.
    Nah that's just a disable. It's kinda like Kramp's version of stasis beam. Not sure there is any way to prevent or counter it. Although.... I've seen Kramp sometimes get stuck on geo when he does the lunge. You might be able to avoid the lunge by hiding behind a tree or something.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    @markhawkman Indeed a very nice video, about the way you run is how I try to explain it to people, but as somebody mentioned, showing is better than telling. You even got the previous breen way earlier than I normally do. Maybe because of the one big cut you took, or because I also sometimes use side movents (additionally to sprint, not instead of). Kudos!

As for those wanting to train: the IMO most critical curve is the one east by south east (0:44 in the vid) - if you can master that one, you can master the whole race.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    well the turn at 0:44 is crucial to be sure, but the one at 0:50 is IMO hardest to get right. It's a tight curve and you're going down hill into it. I still remember sliding off the track all the way into the lake the first time I tried it...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    In the interests of furthering educational value of the video, I made a list of errors(some minor, some not) that reduced my performance:
    0:25 minor: I cut this a bit too wide.
    0:30 minor: same
    0:35 this a a great short cut, but it's on the edge of the zone, one step left and you'll get DQed
    0:45 MAJOR: I nearly slid off the track here. ideally you'll want to corner tighter here.
    0:54 minor: should have been tighter
    1:11 minor, there's a flat plane I was attempting to jump over, but I mis-timed the jump and hit the plane instead of jumping it. Also one or two steps to the right and you don't need to jump you can just run over the hill. Just don't crest the hill, stick to the side.
    1:16 minor: not tight enough
    1:29 minor, not tight enough, this one also has a flat plane, but for this one you want to stick to the hillside and go over it that way
    1:33 minor: not sliding sideways would have been better, not sure why I slid
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    You missed a major shortcut at 1:29.
    /channel_join grind
    Anyone try to run the race backwards? :)
    You missed a major shortcut at 1:29.
    Is that the hill that looks like you should get DQ for going over it be the game doesn't care? Wait.... IIRC it's also the hill that wasn't there for V1 of QWW....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    There's no need to jump, roll, or do anything that stops you. Just hit sprint and go. When you hit a corner, turn in the opposite direction you are running. Use snow banks to slow you down. Learn where you can cut the course. The last corner before the finish, you can literally run over the front part of the hill, too far back and you DQ, but it's quite generous. I use the command spec for the speed bonus and I put the boots on, and can still complete the race easily without slowing down, while lapping the person who started before me.

Oh, and don't use the keyboard for the race, just use the mouse.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    And I'm sure that works for you, which is fine. It won't work for everyone, including me. I have my own way of finishing, as does everyone else. I can tell when I'm not going to make a curve or I'm heading out of bounds and I know when to jump/stop. I also run in Shooter. It's worked for me for the last few years, so that's what I do.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    I made a second vid, same technique, but I think I timed it slightly better.
    https://youtu.be/oTky6-whkk4
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Very cool
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    So, about Tide of Ice....

I've concluded that the bug with snowmen teleporting to the exit is caused by their AIs freaking out because there's a ridiculously large group of them on their spawn point. Sooo.. spawn camp snowmen harder.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    That's an interesting hypothesis. And probably true.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    I made a second vid, same technique, but I think I timed it slightly better.
    https://youtu.be/oTky6-whkk4

Declaring The Hawkman a show off for lapping the previous runner. HOW COULD YOU? ;)
    edited January 2018
    Um, also as far as I was able to discern, the other guy simply had no opponent and had jogged the entire race.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    That's what it looked like to me, too. The whole time I did the races I got no opponent. Don't know if it was because of extreme luck or because my laptop just didn't let them spawn. I only remember having one opponent the entire time I raced for the ship.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Yap, had this happen too, somebody just slowly jogging - no opponent play it safe, I guess. Out of curiosity I waited at the finish line for a while, and indeed even "my breen" lapped him. On the other hand, I have lapped previous runners still winning their race against their opponent (though not the last two years, I guess there have been small changes back then).
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »
    Yap, had this happen too, somebody just slowly jogging - no opponent play it safe, I guess. Out of curiosity I waited at the finish line for a while, and indeed even "my breen" lapped him. On the other hand, I have lapped previous runners still winning their race against their opponent (though not the last two years, I guess there have been small changes back then).

That latter part is caused by the changes to the initial Root at race start. Prior to last year, players had a much larger head start. That allowed for catching up previous runners' bots earlier and thus a much larger window for caching up with previous not-so-fast player runners.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    I'd like to thank everyone for another year of Holiday tips. See y'all next year!

Now if you'll excuse me... I need to figure out how this contraption Q gave me works...
    latest?cb=20140605213603
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    No, no. Thank you, Rattler2. Your threads help keep many of us sane during these events. :smile:
    Anytime zed! I'll let others handle a Summer Tips and Tricks thread when the time comes. But I promise you that every year until they turn off the lights... I will make a Winter thread to help everyone.

Now can someone explain to me how this contraption works? And why did Q include a pony he said is a friend of his father's? She's kinda looking lost.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    You did a fantastic job too, rattler! I look forward to this thread.

Have no idea what contraption you're talking about, unless it's the ship? And a pony? If you don't want it, I'll take it! I love ponies!
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    echatty wrote: »
    You did a fantastic job too, rattler! I look forward to this thread.

Have no idea what contraption you're talking about, unless it's the ship? And a pony? If you don't want it, I'll take it! I love ponies!

latest?cb=20140605213603
    This... snow plow looking thing.
    Oh. Have no idea what it is or how to use it lol. Love the unicorn though.
    Now a LTS and loving it.