test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Costume Exploit Report: Swimwear

tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
Several times now, I've seen Swimwear being used in restricted zones.
I don't know how this is done, but it should not be possible, given the georestrictions imposed by Cryptic.

Most of the time, this is restricted to social hubs, but I have personally seen two occurrences where it was not:
1. Cure Advanced STF Ground. A player showed up in a pink bikini.
2. Winter Wonderland: A player was present wearing a bikini top and miniskirt.

Given that this is clearly a bypass of the restrictions allowing where to use these costumes options, I am recommending that Cryptic do a review pass of the costume options in order to discover exactly how this exploit/bypass is being performed.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(

Comments

• tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    I wish they would unlock them, Let us be us, it's the 25th century damnit... :wink: I do agree if the game is being exploited it needs to be looked into. This has been an ongoing thing since I've been playing.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    @tarran61
    To be completely honest, I did have some ideas to use swimwear in combination with components of other uniforms for more variety.
    The one I wish I could use was the one piece swimsuit with some long pants to simulate a sleeveless shirt for BOFFs.
    That idea was necessitated by the discovery that not all BOFFs have access to the sleeveless tunic due to interfactional costume complications.
    I could also come up with some ways to use the full length wetsuit as an uniform component as well, if it was possible.

Can you tell I've been spending too much time in the Champions Online tailor? ;)
    I think STO would benefit from a tailor redesign to match the CO tailor.
    But that would require the elimination of categories completely and I am uncertain if that will ever be implemented.

Especially since the exploit I described is using an unpermitted iteration of that feature already.
    I assume this is so because combining swimwear options with regular uniform options is definitely not something that was intended!

Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    [At least some] female swimwear tops are unlocked for off-duty options. The winter-wonderland costume the OP observed probably wasn't breaking any restrictions (it's just questionable attire for the weather.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    At least some female swimwear tops are unlocked for off-duty options. The winter-wonderland costume the OP observed probably wasn't breaking any restrictions (it's just questionable attire for the weather.)

Intriguing, I wasn't aware of that information.
    I assume it applies to tops only and that the one-piece swimsuit I am interested in doesn't qualify.
    With that in mind, I reviewed the infraction screenshots I kept and half of them appear to be like that.
    The other half however, are definitely unpermitted, they are complete swimsuit sets with no off-duty options.

When I saw the winter wonderland swim costume, my first thought was, wouldn't it be funny if Cryptic implemented a health degeneration debuff for having swimwear options/non protective clothing on that map?
    For example, the less covered up the character is, the more degeneration they suffer.
    Anyone wearing a swimwear costume option gets 100 HP subtracted per second.
    Total time to incapication, 6 seconds. :p

On a more serious note, I assume Cryptic implemented the zoning restrictions to more accurately reflect military protocol.
    I imagine if a cadet showed up to duty in a pair of swim trunks or a bikini, they'd be court martialled or at the least reprimanded.
    Any Starfleet officer found out of uniform is ordered to report to Lt Commander Tom Dodge for disciplinary action:
    wlzapLM.png

• laetexbunslaetexbuns Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    (post attacking another member edited out - darkbladejk)
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
    syW94ht.jpg
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    This is a glitch that's been around for awhile. Ages ago the tailor glitched out allowing folks to use the swimsuit options in places they shouldn't have been able to. From my understanding the issue was patched but there was no way to prevent those outfits from being used outside their intended areas that were created using the glitch. If you have information regarding this issue feel free to pass it to myself, one of the other mods, or to one of the cryptic devs through a bug report.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    Uniform protocols? During the Eighties, I once came back to base in Germany about five minutes before we got an alert. We had fifteen minutes to get to the tanks and roll out. It was summertime and I was dressed in shorts and a T shirt. No time to change into uniform. And no one gave a damn what I was wearing in the TC's hatch. As long as D-23 was RedCon 1 and moving to the GDP. Did I prefer to be in BDUs? Yes. Did I change as soon as possible? Yes. But if it came down to it, my targets were not going to get any added Kinetic Resistance nor was my Critical Chance going to suffer because I said "Fire!" to my gunner while wearing a Green Lantern T shirt.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    I do see the point you are making, but it isn't the same kind of deployment situation.
    The Starfleet officers aren't going into battle in a starship, fighter or shuttle, they're engaging in ground combat directly with enemy troops.
    See example 1 again in my initial post. Would you seriously fight the Borg on the ground without armor?
    I honestly don't believe any soldier would be deployed for ground combat without a flak jacket, bullet proof vest, survival backpack, combat hiking boots, ammo belt and whatever other gear that is required for long term ground engagements.

In any case, this is a game, where we choose when to go into battle.
    It's just a matter of taking a few seconds to change from Civvie Costume to Armor Costume and then queuing for the Ground Combat Queue.
    The only conclusion that can be reached if they're showing up to Ground Queues using an unpermitted costume, it's because they want every other player to see they can ignore the rules on georestricted costumes.
    And it is a rule, keep that in mind.

I for one am not gonna change my outfit everytime I opt to enter battle, how dumb! Let's just make everyone run to the tailor to switch clothes because 1 person THINKS a "rule" should be enforced about combat uniforms on ground. This isn't Call of Duty and I wouldn't want it to become so boringly rigid as that, give it a rest.
    syW94ht.jpg
  • jenicazarinajenicazarina Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    tilarta wrote: »
    It's just a matter of taking a few seconds to change from Civvie Costume to Armor Costume and then queuing for the Ground Combat Queue.
    The only conclusion that can be reached if they're showing up to Ground Queues using an unpermitted costume, it's because they want every other player to see they can ignore the rules on georestricted costumes.
    And it is a rule, keep that in mind.

There is no need to switch outfits. If the outfit is restricted from the queue, it will automatically switch you to your default allowable outfit.

Also, you are assuming that every species and every faction follows Starfleets rules, which most do not.
    Keep that in mind.
    Resistance is never futile!

800S3a8.jpg
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    If Cryptic wanted to “enforce” Starfleet’s Uniform Code, there would be no Off Duty option in the tailor, clothing options would be further restricted in the Uniform category, and there would be no other option but to wear faction-specific clothing.

Since this is a game, we are able to be the upstanding SJWs of the Federation, be non-Starfleet private contractors, or any of a myriad of other walks of life in STO. In this game, OP, there are no “rules” stating we must wear certain types of clothing. If you are an RPer, then please, by all means, RP as you see fit...

(post edited to removing flaming) - darkbladejk
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • killer1986chriskiller1986chris Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    (post edited out for flaming) - darkbladejk
    Folks there is nothing wrong with being passionate about your positions, but please keep things on topic when debating this issue without attacking other folks. Civil debate is acceptable, but attacking and flaming is not. Keep it classy if you folks intend to continue debate. Next time I will lock the discussion if it gets out of hand again.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I'd say let people wear what they want and don't play fashion police for other players pig-2.gif If I was I'd pull quite a few people out pig-3.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Also, you are assuming that every species and every faction follows Starfleet's rules, which most do not.

This isn't about culture specific rules, it's about a rule stated by Cryptic, which says that full swimsuits can only be used on the Risa and Colony Holding maps.
    Whether you're playing as Romulan, Starfleet or KDF doesn't change that fact.
    And yes, I have seen Romulans use this exploit/bypass too.

edited December 2017
    There is no exploit/bypass, just as there is no rule. The colony came after the swimsuits and Risa so you been caught in a lie there. I've been playing since just after beta and there is just simply no rule. PWE and Cryptic wants the queues to start filling again that's why they initiated the endeavor, pull costumes that people paid MONEY to wear anywhere and it won't just be queues that will die off, it will be the game with people suing for their monies back. Think about that rule.
    Post edited by laetexbuns on
    syW94ht.jpg
  • jenicazarinajenicazarina Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    At least some female swimwear tops are unlocked for off-duty options. The winter-wonderland costume the OP observed probably wasn't breaking any restrictions (it's just questionable attire for the weather.)

Intriguing, I wasn't aware of that information.

Apparently there are a great many things that you don't know, so why are you posting about things that you don't know about? I would suggest that you stop trying to tell people to follow rules that you are just making up as you go.

On a more serious note, I assume Cryptic implemented the zoning restrictions to more accurately reflect military protocol.

You assume incorrectly. Cryptic imposes these outfit rules to abide by the Star Trek franchise canon license that they have paid for to follow.

Please stop trying to be the fashion police, and let Cryptic do their job.
    Resistance is never futile!

800S3a8.jpg
    edited December 2017
    I have an idea....Let's all go to Champions Online and complain about all the copycat super heros and outfits in their tailor, get them to rewrite their tailor over there like he is here. Oopps that one has webs, too much like Spidey, this one has a shield, too much like Cpt. America...bla bla bla Wonders how many Marvel infringements we can find there, or DC? hmmm
    syW94ht.jpg
    Tooltip ingame, read the yellow text:
    BEB6E79376629ED7C7B63D028E938D5AF5467B35

edited December 2017
    That's no rule per se... Areas are added and things change. Do you see any FULL suits anywhere other than Risa? No? ok then. But seriously, are you that much concerned over it? Does it keep you awake at night? Might I suggest a different pasttime?
    Post edited by laetexbuns on
    syW94ht.jpg
  • yunaofsnakesyunaofsnakes Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    so what are you complaining about the fact that people can do this and you cant? if thats the case im sure that if you ask them they would tell you. coming here and complaining only leads to you being hated on
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    Also, you are assuming that every species and every faction follows Starfleet's rules, which most do not.

This isn't about culture specific rules, it's about a rule stated by Cryptic, which says that full swimsuits can only be used on the Risa and Colony Holding maps.
    Whether you're playing as Romulan, Starfleet or KDF doesn't change that fact.
    And yes, I have seen Romulans use this exploit/bypass too.

You mention the KDF? Here is a KDF Uniform for you. Standard by the way.

tumblr_lupgl74q_ZL1r08u24.jpg

In the end, the costume slot is bugged for that costume. As long as that costume is not changed in the tailor then it will continue to be used in game as a standard option. The only way to stop it at this point is to completely fix the Tailor, top to bottom overhall, then step two Erase every saved costume in the game and force players to go in and redo each and every costume that they want to wear. Then of course there is the fact that a future update will break the tailor and allow the bug to pop back up at some point. Which will then have to be fixed by a top to bottom overhall of the tailor followed by a wipe of all character costumes in game, until..... well you get the point I hope.

As it is the only real end game is space barbie, I say let people play there way, not yours as

fayhers_starfleet.jpg

fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
    Of course I have seen this exploit/bypass outside of Risa.
    Do you think I'd have started this topic if I had not?
    I even have screenshots as evidence.
    And no, they will not be provided for public viewing, so do not ask.

For the record, I have no interest in using the exploit/bypass, so I don't care how it's done.
    And would certainly not ask how.

Also for the record, if anyone is found to be using a copycat/trademarked superhero outfit in Champions Online and Cryptic discover this, it'll be defaulted mandatorily.
    It's another rule, to keep Marvel and DC from calling in the shark armada and eating the game up in little bite size pieces.

So you decided to take it upon yourself to be said shark armada for STO and eat it up due to piecemealian bitmunching? As many have said about this, STO is Space Barbie, let people play the toons they want wearing the outfits they desire. I have 266 outfit slots on 21 different toons and 1 of their so-called patches capped me at 260 literally robbing me of 5 outfits. Until that is fixed from 4 years ago I don't care about a half swimsuit top being worn off of Risa. Also I said a FULL swim, and if so...who cares? It's bad enough we don't have alot of outfits anyway let alone someone playing fashion police on everyone but themselves. I totally agree with AdmRen and others above, open the outfits!!! Free the clothes!!
    syW94ht.jpg
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    immerson_breaking.jpg
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Threads like this one are why we can't have nice things ingame.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    At this point it appears this thread has run its course and is only getting out of hand from here. It is technically a bug that certain outfits like the swimsuits can be used outside of Risa as the yellow text indicates is the limitation and the rule for that specific outfit. Everyone is welcome to their opinions but this discussion has run its course. /closed

This discussion has been closed.