test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Alert, griefer waits at race officer

wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
we all race for Q to get those new ships every year, i had been bump for "disqualified" as there were too many hailing to start the race in past, now most knew when to avoid and wait.
however, this year, (Player avatar description moderated out - BMR), just stood and i wait for him to hail since he was there first, then i got annoyed by waiting, then i hail and sudden he hailed just to get me disqualified and as he on the track, he intentaully went off track for disquailied, and i went to get fresh redo, and he was ready waiting for me to hail, in my thoughts, HECK NO, NOT AGAIN!, so i change the zone.

anyone been griefing lately just by taunting and repeatly get bump off, also been snowballed on tracks when there was no snowmen fight not up yet.

Devs need to fix hailing and not get disqualified, but to put in "Qued List" on whoever go on next, instead of returning to get fresh reset. or being told to wait and not get disqualified on the spot.

anyone been stop by grief-play recently, by same "dirty players"?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    Hm I have seen some people with bad manners who can't wait for their turn, and I've once had someone sending me a PM telling me I should wait.

To clarify: she was waiting near the start of the race but when they didn't proceed when it was possible, I waited a few seconds longer and then I started my race because other players were coming and I knew I would be waiting there for a long time if I didn't start then.

It's hardly something to get upset about.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    Besides, if he didn't do the race and just went back to the same spot to immediately hail and get you disqualified again, he'd have to restart his race as well or he wouldn't be able to hail at all. So it's as much effort for him as it is for you because he'd have to get back to the coordinator and restart it every time he wants you to fail your mission.

Sounds like a pretty bad troll to me who's trolling himself as much as he's trolling others.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Old news, been that way for years, they ain't fixing it.
  • wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    usaully after 4 seconds between next hailing before next racer on the track.

i can tell which was did by mistakes and those who waited on purposes.
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    I never knew that you could disqualify someone by hailing the official. Never seen it happen before.
  • silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    I had it happen last week, don't really remember what the other 'waiter' looked like, but it didn't happen a second time, so I just considered it a glitch of the two players (them and myself) hailing at the same time, so simply carried it on. I'd not given it any more thought ...until now...
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    There has been a bug for awhile now that if 2 people hail at the same time this can happen. I've placed a report on this bug before. Depending on the cause and how broken it is, fixing said bug can be a pain in the rear end. If there are future issues I can only encourage you to file a ticket if it becomes serious enough.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    This has been a bug for years now. It hasn't happened to me yet this year but has happened multiple times in past ones.

Most of the time it's just someone being rude (running up behind you, stealing your spot) or clueless (asleep at the green light, wakes up just after you've given up on them and hailed). I've only had a couple where I suspected trolling.
  • wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    i had few rude ones, nothing like this, he just get disqualified after he get on track, then waited again as i get fresh reset, i wonder why he stood there waiting again as i get closer, he would flagged when hailed, i waited.

not right when they were there first and waited until i start hail race officer, i waited good 30 seconds/almost 1 min when they do nothing but trolling for hail baits.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    I've had it happen last year, but not this year yet. Not a big problem, just restart. I also usually do mine early in the mornings too. Like 7am Central (I live in Mississippi)
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    There has been a bug for awhile now that if 2 people hail at the same time this can happen. I've placed a report on this bug before. Depending on the cause and how broken it is, fixing said bug can be a pain in the rear end. If there are future issues I can only encourage you to file a ticket if it becomes serious enough.
    Regardless of the cause it would be trivial to fix by removing the "hand-waving delay." If you get teleported instantly when you press the button, it would be impossible for anyone else to get in between, accidentally or on purpose.

They simply don't care to fix it.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,247 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Regardless of the cause it would be trivial to fix by removing the "hand-waving delay." If you get teleported instantly when you press the button, it would be impossible for anyone else to get in between, accidentally or on purpose.

How do you know that "hand-waving delay" isn't a disguised loading screen to prepare the track for you and removing the delay simply isn't possible?

there's so many things why they can't or haven't fixed it besides "just don't care" that to assume it as your first choice simply makes things take longer to fix.
    spiritborn wrote: »

How do you know that "hand-waving delay" isn't a disguised loading screen to prepare the track for you and removing the delay simply isn't possible?
    1. Nothing else in the game needs any such "disguised loading screen."
    2. The player has to stand at the start line anyway so any "preparing the track" could just as well be done then.
    spiritborn wrote: »
    there's so many things why they can't or haven't fixed it besides "just don't care" that to assume it as your first choice simply makes things take longer to fix.
    My choices don't affect the development of this game in the slighest.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator

When dealing with code it's often not as simple as "a trival fix by removing the hand-waving delay". I wish it were as simple as just flipping switches but it's often not. When dealing with code a single one or zero out of place can bring the entire code crashing down. With computer code you have to be extremely precise. Some of the more complex games like STO today can have multiple programming languages used for a single game. Trying to get those languages to talk to each other can be very tedious and depending on the severity of the issue can take weeks or long to fix. In my own case I've added some custom items to some of the old strategy games I play. In one instance I tried adding a weapon to some of the units in game. In doing so I had a single line of code out of place and it crashed the entire game. It took me about 5 days to find it and that's at the small time modder level. Now scale that up to a full on production like STO and it can be even nastier. Believe me I wish it were as simple as what you're suggesting but it's often not.

With that said folks this thread is getting off topic. As I said prior should you have issues I would advise filing a ticket should it become serious enough. Please keep any and all debates civil and on point to the post at hand otherwise I will lock the discussion.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,403 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    (Accusation moderated out - BMR)
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    edited December 2017
    Folks, there is absolutely no proof as to who or what fleet may or may not be doing these types of things, and even if there were, naming and shaming is not allowed on the forum.

uhUNAYQ.png
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • rosvikrosvik Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    I've been 'bumped' by a few line cutters in the past. Yes, it's annoying, but what I do is just change to a less populated instance. As some have said, sometimes what happens is the player standing at the head of the line is afk, not paying attention, and suddenly realizes it's their turn and slams the 'Hail Race Official' button right when you do.

So far this year I have only seen one guy run up right when I was hailing the race official. Usually I look around to see if anyone is 'lurking' about (and no one ever is) before I hail the race official. If in doubt, just change instances. Solves everything.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone deliberately booting someone from the race, disqualify, re-acquire the mission and run back to do it all again. I've only seen people who just don't want to wait their turn.
    Post edited by rosvik on
    Ancient Vulcan proverb: "If you are what you eat, then 'Jerk' must be a very popular food on Earth"
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    I've noticed if you try to 'beat' the crowd in starting the race, and succeed, it seems that the 2nd person who clicks start gets to start while the first person gets DQ'd.

And yes, people don't wait their turn like they should. Best to change instances and hope for less idiots.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @coldnapalm said:
    > So...wait...how does this griefing work? If the person attempting this ends up in the race, he needs to wait for the race to start and run off the track and then go to the race quest giver to reset the race BEFORE you can go back and get the quest and come back and restart. You would literally have to be the worst pathing player for somebody to beat you for a second time. Now if you claimed that there was a group of 10 doing this in tandum I might have found it credible. But what you said just does not work.

Thank you, I was about to post somethimg similiar xD If the "troll" can wait four seconds and get the quest reset and be there in time to "troll" again something 's not right.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    Actually, it is possible now. Your character will get rooted at the podium but not transported to the track. You still have to wait for the race countdown before you can move again. That's how you auto fail, because you're already off the track when the race starts. The "griefer", now unrooted, can run off the track back to the quest giver. If he's quick, he can reclaim the quest and return to the podium at the same time.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    As others have said it's an old glitch that's been there for a few years now.

Some people do it because it means they aren't rooted at the start of the race and can start to run the second they spawn on the track, some do it just to troll others.

The glitch isn't just tied to the first two players either, if you are fast enough to trigger it 4 or 5 players can activate the glitch, with the player that does it last getting placed on the track, with the rest having to restart the "quest".

Used it on quite a few line cutters last year, haven't had to so far this year.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Anyone else have a massive fit of the giggles over the suggestion that cryptic would actually try to hide a loading screen?
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Anyone else have a massive fit of the giggles over the suggestion that cryptic would actually try to hide a loading screen?

Not really. Just didn't find it believable. Still, at the time I'm doing my races there are no others waiting to go or who run up to get their turn, so I've avoided that glitch so far.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    So...wait...how does this griefing work? If the person attempting this ends up in the race, he needs to wait for the race to start and run off the track and then go to the race quest giver to reset the race BEFORE you can go back and get the quest and come back and restart. You would literally have to be the worst pathing player for somebody to beat you for a second time. Now if you claimed that there was a group of 10 doing this in tandum I might have found it credible. But what you said just does not work.
    The system applies the root to the first person who clicks the button (it applies instantly), but teleports the last. It's the "victim" who has to wait for the race to start (and inevitably disqualify since they're outside the track), the "griefer" is mobile immediately and can be halfway to the quest giver before the "victim" can move.

Of course, if you see them do this, the smart reaction is to switch instances.

Alternatively, they can choose to run the race for themselves and gain a head start because they don't have to wait for the countdown. This method can also be used to intentionally help give your friend a head start if they're having trouble with the race. Just go to the podium together and tell them to click as soon as they see you wave hand.
    bejaymac wrote: »
    The glitch isn't just tied to the first two players either, if you are fast enough to trigger it 4 or 5 players can activate the glitch, with the player that does it last getting placed on the track, with the rest having to restart the "quest".
    Or if the middle players don't get rooted, they can jump on the track themselves and if fast enough, they won't get disqualified and can all run the race at the same time.
  • usskentuckyusskentucky Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    Now I know why I was able to skip the countdown a few days ago and get a head start! Thank you for your suffering, OP, as it has been educational.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    it's 1st come 1st served. there is no official waiting line. folks of course can choose to wait their turn, nothing wrong with that at all. but sometimes, you pick up the quest and run to the npc at the same time as someone else... neither choose to let the other person go 1st... best of luck on who gets rooted and who gets ported.
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Old news, been that way for years, they ain't fixing it.

I just love it when people talk about the same stuff year after year after year....

Shows how old we are spending time in STO and it always the same logical solution...just change maps.

Dont' expect anything from Devs. Heck some of the maps in STO have been broken since game launch in beta.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif