test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Feature Coming?

Comments

• Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    I realize it's incredibly jaded of me to say(honestly, I am at this point), but I don't expect them to add any new systems without being able to monetize it some way.

If it's pet slots or weapon visuals or whatever, I fully expect there to be a premium pricetag associated with it.

That said, I think the oldest feature request I'd like to see is the ability to instantly use hyposprays/consumables independently of the normal skill activation queue. The draconic activation system is and has always been one of the biggest offenders and contributors to the overall poor player experience of ground content. It's not intuitive, nor responsive; it holds gameplay and encounter design back.

Alternatively, I'd love to see elite marks finally removed from inventory and put on the same tab as the rest of the reputation currencies. They're not tradeable or anything, so there's really no point in them being 'physical' items clogging up player inventory space - especially with out many reputations we have these days.
  • Options
    orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    Only feature I need to see is a massive nerf to fleet mark value and an increase in dil value for projects.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,788 Arc User
    Rebecca Simmons is very easy to defeat these days. The end fight is pretty boring most of the times.

[4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,788 Arc User
    TJtlVmQ.png

When did this happen? How'd you get so close to this event without being burnt?

And the most important questions I have after seeing this ... outstanding live footage: do we get torch-like weapons? Or playable dragons?
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    lostyuslostyus Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    Well we know it isn't cross-faction teaming, SRS Fleet asked that question on last night's live stream, and whilst Kael said it was something they would love to do it's just so hard wired into the code that we are enemies that it would require a lot of work to make it happen.

Thanks for taking the time to post this up, I don't watch the live stream so I wouldn't have known.

Well, s'pose I at least know now. One can still hope though lol :)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »
    Maybe it's the NPC's addressing our characters by chosen title instead of level-tied rank? :)

But why speculate? We'll know soon enough.
    This would be amazing.
    "Take the hint, Moist, the Enterprise is here to back you up." (Or whatever the quote is)
    How does "Take the lead, Privateer. The Enterprise is here to back you up!" sound to you?
    If that's the title you've chosen, why not?
    Exactly. In fact, it adds a whole new dimension to that dialogue. :)
    What if my chosen title is "Scourge of the Terran Empire"? :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    If it isn't the ability to travel through sector space and set destinations from our ships Bridge, then I doubt I will care. :P
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    TJtlVmQ.png

When did this happen? How'd you get so close to this event without being burnt?

And the most important questions I have after seeing this ... outstanding live footage: do we get torch-like weapons? Or playable dragons?

What are the stats for this??, will be lobi?
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @jcsww said:
    > If it isn't the ability to travel through sector space and set destinations from our ships Bridge, then I doubt I will care. :P

That will never happen.

Actually, a function that allows you to change the ship's coordinates in sector space would be rather easy. Showing that on the main view screen or being visible in sector space while you do that, however, not.
    Actually, the ship does not even have coordinates in sector space, unless you're in sector space. While game can remember where you were when you visit your bridge, that location will be in sector space only if you were in sector space when you went to your bridge.
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    Simple fix for those wanting to fly their ships from the bridge in sector space - -

Simply request the devs to put a viewscreen border around the edge of the game screen and make the player's ship invisible. Viola! Flying from inside the bridge. Even works when hitting M for map mode in sector space (it now shows the map on the 'viewscreen').

So simple, I'm surprised the devs haven't already done it.
    Post edited by captainhunter1 on
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Simple fix for those wanting to fly there ships from the bridge in sector space - -

Simply put a viewscreen border around the edge of the screen and make the player's ship invisible. Viola! Flying from inside the bridge. Even works when hitting M for map mode in sector space (it now shows the map on the 'viewscreen').

Actually, you can leave the ship and just put the frame... just press the Astrometric View button, and that's it..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    grumpyowl#1151 grumpyowl Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    > @vampeiyre said:
    > It sure would be nice to be a weapon cosmetics tab.

That would be awesome! My OCD freaks out with the disharmony in my weapons color & effects. Adding a weapon slot to the visuals tab is something that I've want for a long time.
  • Options
    soullessraptorsoullessraptor Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    > @vampeiyre said:
    > It sure would be nice to be a weapon cosmetics tab.

That would be awesome! My OCD freaks out with the disharmony in my weapons color & effects. Adding a weapon slot to the visuals tab is something that I've want for a long time.

Only issue with that would be server load, honestly.
    Now, if they made it client-side, possible, but otherwise...yeesh
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »
    Simple fix for those wanting to fly there ships from the bridge in sector space - -

Simply put a viewscreen border around the edge of the screen and make the player's ship invisible. Viola! Flying from inside the bridge. Even works when hitting M for map mode in sector space (it now shows the map on the 'viewscreen').

Actually, you can leave the ship and just put the frame... just press the Astrometric View button, and that's it..
    Or zoom in super close and pretend it's the viewscreen. :p Yes, most ships you can still see the ship....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    noven2000noven2000 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    > @mattjohnsonva said:
    > 1. Player Housing
    > 2. Pet Tab (lol)
    > 3. Species/gender change token
    > 4. Disable visual effects
    > 5. Assignable mods
    > 6. The old queue UI back
    > 7. Flying your ship from your bridge
    > 8. Travelling across sector space whilst on your bridge
    > 9. A good review system for the Foundry
    > 10. PvP leaderboards
    > 11. A real exploration system
    > 12. The Gamma Quadrant (may come before ViL)
    > 13. Armada mail
    > 14. Cross faction teaming
    > 15. Access to all current patrols in game
    > 16. access to all missions for all factions (lol)
    > 17. Return of two stage STFs
    > 18. Return of Elite Borg STFs (ISA, KSA, CSA)
    > 19. Rebalancing of the Borg so it needs 30 ships to take down one cube and not just a shuttle
    > 20. Doffing/admiralty app for phones/tablets
    >
    > One of those I guess :)

> @mattjohnsonva said:
    > 1. Player Housing
    > 2. Pet Tab (lol)
    > 3. Species/gender change token
    > 4. Disable visual effects
    > 5. Assignable mods
    > 6. The old queue UI back
    > 7. Flying your ship from your bridge
    > 8. Travelling across sector space whilst on your bridge
    > 9. A good review system for the Foundry
    > 10. PvP leaderboards
    > 11. A real exploration system
    > 12. The Gamma Quadrant (may come before ViL)
    > 13. Armada mail
    > 14. Cross faction teaming
    > 15. Access to all current patrols in game
    > 16. access to all missions for all factions (lol)
    > 17. Return of two stage STFs
    > 18. Return of Elite Borg STFs (ISA, KSA, CSA)
    > 19. Rebalancing of the Borg so it needs 30 ships to take down one cube and not just a shuttle
    > 20. Doffing/admiralty app for phones/tablets
    >
    > One of those I guess :)
  • Options
    noven2000noven2000 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    How about providing the option to delete ship load outs rather than being forced to dispose of the ship. While this is no big deal for c-store ships it is for fleet ships and lock box ships since they can't be reclaimed for free.
  • Options
    robyvisionrobyvision Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    I'm pretty sure the new feature isn't
    -Flying from your ship bridge
    -Anything PVP related
    -Cross faction teaming
    -Pet tab

Lol you are right. Its too soon for a pvp update. More barby content pls!
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Why would you not just save the new loadout over the old one? There is never any need to discard the ship for a loadout.
    There is sometimes need to delete datasets like that in this game, because they can get bugged in ways that can't be fixed by editing them.

But no, the "feature everyone will love" is obviously not that.
  • Options
    furyan#5289 furyan Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    > @sophlogimo said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > > @jcsww said:
    > > If it isn't the ability to travel through sector space and set destinations from our ships Bridge, then I doubt I will care. :P
    >
    > That will never happen.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Actually, a function that allows you to change the ship's coordinates in sector space would be rather easy. Showing that on the main view screen or being visible in sector space while you do that, however, not.

It has been flatly stated on multiple occassions by the Devs that the STO game engine cannot do this and cannot be altered in any way which would allow this. Does not matter how easy you think it is according to the Devs its flatly impossible.

tacofangs wrote: »
    I've definitely gone over this plenty of times in the past, but my search-fu seems to be weak today.

Note that I don't think I've ever used the word 'impossible.' It's all code, nothing is impossible given enough time, money, and manpower.

However, what I have said in the past, and will repeat now, is that our game, as it stands today, is not set up for this at all. It's not an engine limitation per se, and it's not because our engine is old. It's because it's not how the game was designed. Again, possible, but not probable.

The problem, as stated by others, is that your "character" is both a ship, and a captain, simultaneously. When you are in space, you are drawn as a ship. When you are on the ground, you are drawn as a person. So, when you are in sector space (as a ship) and go to your bridge (as a person), your ship ceases to exist in sector space. You are no longer there. You are ONLY on your bridge. When you leave your bridge, and go back to sector space, you become a ship again, and your captain (and the bridge) cease to exist.

So, there is no easy way to track you through sector space while you are actually on another map. Again, this is likely possible, but is not set up, and would require significant coding.

To my (non-programmer) mind, the best alternative is the count-down method others have mentioned. Instead of "flying" your ship from the bridge, you go to your helm officer, tell him which system to go to, and a timer counts down however long it takes to get there. During the countdown you can meander around your interior, doing whatever captainy things captains do. When the timer is up, your helm officer informs you that you have arrived, and you can load that map.

The problem with the above is what happens when you leave your bridge part way through the count down. If you leave at the start, you go back to where ever you left to get to your bridge. If you leave at the end, you go to your destination. If you leave in the middle, where do you go? Remember, there is nothing tracking you through sector space, so we have no functional idea where your "ship" is right now. Instead, we just know that you're 50% done with the countdown. So, we can't drop you in the right spot in sector space, do we dump you back at the start? We can't let you cheat by going to the end point. . .

Another issue is how to determine the timing. I guess we could manually fly from every planet to every other planet to get a baseline, but that's annoying. IMO I think this idea best works with a unified sector space, so that there is no map loading between sectors. Timing things in that mode would be a much simpler task, as we could just determine distances between them. A unified sector space would also make it easier to drop you in an appropriate spot if you were to leave your bridge part way through your journey. It's something that has been tossed about, but I haven't heard anything concrete about that in a while.

In addition, I wouldn't really want to do this unless we did some major bridge refresh as well. I think we have a lot of terrible bridges in the game. I also think it would be cool if your viewscreen could reflect the system you are at, but that would be more tech, and wouldn't really work until the above bits happened. They're all nice ideas, and I think everyone on the team would love to see it, but there is a LOT of work involved, and a lot of edge cases that can break things horribly. It's not a trivial undertaking.

Keep in mind, the above suggestion would only be for travel, not fighting anything. That would be an even bigger can of worms to wrestle with.

The monitor overlay idea has been raised a number of times before, but imo it would just feel chintzy. We couldn't do a full 3d bridge overlay, it would just be a texture. Basically cutting a viewscreen out of cardboard and pasting it onto your monitor. I don't think anyone would be satisfied by that.

Do you see where he says it's not impossible, and that it's not an engine limitation? He just says not probable. Thank you have a nice day :)
This discussion has been closed.