test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The FCC decides the fate of Net Neutrality today!

detheaterdetheater Member Posts: 76 Arc User
If you live in the United States and care about the openness of the internet contact your representatives to let them know that you want them to fight the FCC's repeal of Net Neutrality. It's never too late to let them know how you feel!

https://www.battleforthenet.com/

Comments

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    Too late, it seems.

Government voting in favor of the corporations.......big surprise. -_-;
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    Despite the opposition from congress, techheads and the public.....once again, they do opposite of people demand.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-14SllPPLxY
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    Supreme Court here we come.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Supreme Court here we come.

And that's considering the big companies have not bribed them, yet.

Hell, I heard some things along the lines that they used names of dead folks when in this vote.
    Like Carlin said, "They don't give a TRIBBLE about us at all."
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • detheaterdetheater Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    It is NOT too late!!!!!!! PLEASE KNOW THAT IT IS NOT TOO LATE TO MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD!!!!!

This is how it works: The FCC is a regulatory agency that is part of the executive branch of government. They may only create regulations they cannot create laws only Congress can do that.

The FCC has voted to repeal the net neutrality regulations from 2015. This is NOT a law. Congress can still pass a law that makes net neutrality a LAW and not a REGULATION. Also, Congress can pressure the FCC to not repeal Net Neutrality.

Sorry for the government lesson but its is definitely NOT too late to make your voice heard. This will be going on for some time. We lost the first fight but there is still a war to be won!

EDIT: So you know I know a little about what I am talking about. I live and work in Washington DC and have a masters degree in Political Science.
    not the first time the govt tries to TRIBBLE us over, yo.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • detheaterdetheater Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    TBH, I don't foresee Congress allowing the repeal to become law.

I want this to be correct, but unless we put our voices behind it I don't know.
    edited December 2017
    While that's true in some instances, not every single thing the government does is bad and intended to **** over the populace.

For me, like George Carlin, I don't believe a **** thing the government says. Too many lies and too many **** to make me believe anything they say anymore.

To me a politician is a special interest BOOT LICKER.
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    This has been ping ponged back and forth for the last sixteen years. As soon as the Administration changes to the other party, it will get bounced back to the other viewpoint. Meanwhile, with Net Neutrality rules in place before this ruling, the USofA still has internet service and connectivity and infrastructure which comes in a very poor and distant second to most countries in Asia. Including the People's Republic of China.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The really sad part is that people seem to have forgetton the arguments about whether any of this was a good thing.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    This has been ping ponged back and forth for the last sixteen years. As soon as the Administration changes to the other party, it will get bounced back to the other viewpoint. Meanwhile, with Net Neutrality rules in place before this ruling, the USofA still has internet service and connectivity and infrastructure which comes in a very poor and distant second to most countries in Asia. Including the People's Republic of China.

Among many other things....
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • ferroequusferroequus Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Neither the Democrats nor the Republicans represent the American people, haven't done so in years.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @ferroequus said:
    > Neither the Democrats nor the Republicans represent the American people, haven't done so in years.

Kinda the people's fault for considering this a either-or scenario. Even the US allows for more parties than two.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > @ferroequus said:
    > Neither the Democrats nor the Republicans represent the American people, haven't done so in years.

Kinda the people's fault for considering this a either-or scenario. Even the US allows for more parties than two.

The problem is and will always be money. Only those two parties have enough money to buy the elections. Only laws that force a zero dollar spending limit, AND 100 percent equality between all candidates, ie TV air time etc, can bring this under control. Since the two parties have to pass that law, it will never happen.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
    Don't forget, Pai's term is up this year (he was appointed in 2012 by Obama, so thank him for it) and he is probably looking at a career in "helping companies navigate the new internet market" which he helped create once his term is finished. See crony capitalism.

Anyhoo, I doubt Congress will pass this into law. Even if they were, companies like Google will tie this up in the courts for decades.

I'm not even a US Citizen, but even I know that "Obama appointed Pai" is incorrect. Obama appointed him on behalf of the the GOP (McConnell to be precise) and Trump made him head of the FCC and renewed his term. The FCC is made up of five commissioners, three of the ruling party and two of the opposition. Under Obama it was two Republicans who were chosen by the GOP. Know your own political system, yo. pig-3.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,435 Arc User
    I disagree that the end of these net neutrality rules will end in the death of the Internet and democracy as we know it. I was around when these rules were not in place and we did fine and the Internet did not die. In fact I liked Youtube (before it got bought by Google) at that time as well as Facebook (not as much now). Here is an article about what the mainstream media and others don't tell you about the benefits of the 2015 net neutrality rules ending. Keep in mind two of the corporations wanting it to remain instead of being repealed are Google and Facebook. So to claim this would be a win for big corporations is false. Also, not all corporations are evil some actually do good and follow the rule of law. Check out heritage.org/government-regulation/commentary/debunking-the-lefts-myths-net-neutrality for another perspective on what is actually going on when these rules are repealed. You don't have to agree with the author, this is just another view to consider instead of this conversation being one-sided. Thanks.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    edited December 2017
    sthe91 wrote: »
    I disagree that the end of these net neutrality rules will end in the death of the Internet and democracy as we know it. I was around when these rules were not in place and we did fine and the Internet did not die. In fact I liked Youtube (before it got bought by Google) at that time as well as Facebook (not as much now). Here is an article about what the mainstream media and others don't tell you about the benefits of the 2015 net neutrality rules ending. Keep in mind two of the corporations wanting it to remain instead of being repealed are Google and Facebook. So to claim this would be a win for big corporations is false. Also, not all corporations are evil some actually do good and follow the rule of law. Check out heritage.org/government-regulation/commentary/debunking-the-lefts-myths-net-neutrality for another perspective on what is actually going on when these rules are repealed. You don't have to agree with the author, this is just another view to consider instead of this conversation being one-sided. Thanks.

The very first point the author makes between his very emotional writing seems curious. Why does net neutrality "ban" discounts on services? As far as I know, nothing in the Net Neutrality definitions even mentions that. The author seems to simply exaggerate certain fears, the same thing he accuses the NN supporters of. He states there is no evidence of companies misusing their market power - which I find curious considering the de facto monopoly of some ISPs in parts of the country - but at the same time has little to offer but subjunctives. If NN has in some place held ISPs from providing benefits to the customers maybe he should have used that as an example?​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
This discussion has been closed.