What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Back to the moon, then to Mars!

tunicate515#4416 tunicate515 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
edited December 2017 in Ten Forward
Post edited by tunicate515#4416 on

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    Problem: We can't establish any permanent government bases on the Moon, per the Outer Space Treaty of 1968. A clever lawyer could make the argument that Mars might not fit the definition of "a heavenly body", as philosophically that could be taken to apply strictly to stars, but the Moon is mentioned specifically.

Besides, go back to the Moon for what? It has no resources worth exploiting, unless fusion power becomes a reality (last I checked, it's still twenty years away, just like it has been for the past fifty years). It's inconvenient to live on. And any industrial processes could be carried on just as well in space habitats, with the added advantage that in space you can select what effective gravity your processes will occur under (just use a centrifuge to imitate anything from zero to, say, four gees!), while on the lunar surface you can't get any lower than 1/6g.

Asteroid mining shows far more promise than anything on the Moon. And frankly, the only reason to go to Mars is because we can. It's no more useful than Luna, and suffers from a 1/3g gravity well to boot.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    The moon is a stepping stone to space exploration.

Thankfully that is ONE thing the Tangerine in Chief is doing right. We need to get back out into space.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • bwleon7bwleon7 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    I hope it happens but the real issue is funding. Saying we are going is one thing. Putting money into the budget for it is another.
    Dr. Miranda Jones: I understand, Mr. Spock. The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.
    Mr. Spock: And the ways our differences combine, to create meaning and beauty.

-Star Trek: Is There in Truth No Beauty? (1968)
    A permanent orbital construction facility (and not another LEO toy like Skylab, either) would be a much better step into interplanetary space. (In the wise words of Robert Heinlein, once you're in orbit, you're halfway to anywhere.) I mean, if it's Luna or nothing, I guess we can go squat on a dustball while we gather our strength for the important work, but I'd rather put the effort somewhere that it'll actually help.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    We got to get this amusement park started.

1423432651327871375.jpg
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Only thing Cheeto wants is to polish a nationalist "flag pole". Space exploration will serve as a substitute play ground for petty squabbles before we get our TRIBBLE together.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Only thing Cheeto wants is to polish a nationalist "flag pole". Space exploration will serve as a substitute play ground for petty squabbles before we get our **** together.

Yeah, well, that monkey-minded rubbish got us to the moon in the first place so we could fling poo at the Russians.
    Yeah, not exactly in a position to sneer at nationalism as an impetus for space exploration. Besides, it can potentially serve as an antidote to extreme nationalism. (Astronaut Edgar Mitchell, lunar-module pilot on Apollo 14, famously said, "From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a TRIBBLE.'”) I'm just not impressed with Donnie's emphasis, is all.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    The problem is MONEY, guys, specifically TAX MONEY. Space exploration of any kind is damned expensive and has a questionable to negligible short-term return on investment, which is the only thing that would get private money involved (SpaceX is a money pit and all Elon Musk is even doing with it is replacing the space shuttle on resupply missions). To get it going you need government spending, but the dominant philosophy of the United States's current ruling party is that government spending except on DoD = bad, tax cuts for the obscenely wealthy = good.

Put those two things together, you'd have better odds of getting struck by lightning than this actually happening.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Problem: We can't establish any permanent government bases on the Moon, per the Outer Space Treaty of 1968. A clever lawyer could make the argument that Mars might not fit the definition of "a heavenly body", as philosophically that could be taken to apply strictly to stars, but the Moon is mentioned specifically.

Besides, go back to the Moon for what? It has no resources worth exploiting, unless fusion power becomes a reality (last I checked, it's still twenty years away, just like it has been for the past fifty years). It's inconvenient to live on. And any industrial processes could be carried on just as well in space habitats, with the added advantage that in space you can select what effective gravity your processes will occur under (just use a centrifuge to imitate anything from zero to, say, four gees!), while on the lunar surface you can't get any lower than 1/6g.

Asteroid mining shows far more promise than anything on the Moon. And frankly, the only reason to go to Mars is because we can. It's no more useful than Luna, and suffers from a 1/3g gravity well to boot.

besides that the only real benefit to go there and setup is to show humanity can reach the moon and put down roots there and that is a powerful thing, like when a person is proud to be a member of a nation and see the flag unfurl and the national anthem play, this would be a similar thing but on a global scale, that humanity can do this.

we don't know for certain the moon a worthless rock in space and i think that it's a bit presumptious to suggest tiny moon rocks and small core samples for decades ago are what we have for proof which is next to nothing without an actual survey of the planet beyond a few meters of the surface and one tiny area. Luna is made up of the same stuff our planet is made up of so it's not out the realm of possibility that luna contains a lot of natural resources that have yet to be found and tapped just yet.

the only way to know for certain beyond this discussion of what we think we know is when we can go out there and actually prove it.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    A permanent orbital construction facility (and not another LEO toy like Skylab, either) would be a much better step into interplanetary space. (In the wise words of Robert Heinlein, once you're in orbit, you're halfway to anywhere.) I mean, if it's Luna or nothing, I guess we can go squat on a dustball while we gather our strength for the important work, but I'd rather put the effort somewhere that it'll actually help.

Lunar Optical Interferometers is not a good enough reason to establish a permanent base on the Moon? There is also the Tourism and Industrial aspects of the Moon as good enough reason to establish a permanent presence on the Moon. We wouldn't have had the Bhopal disaster in 1984 that exposed 500,000 people to dangerous gases if the pesticide plant was built on the Moon.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    patrickngo wrote: »
    starswordc wrote: »
    The problem is MONEY, guys, specifically TAX MONEY. Space exploration of any kind is damned expensive and has a questionable to negligible short-term return on investment, which is the only thing that would get private money involved (SpaceX is a money pit and all Elon Musk is even doing with it is replacing the space shuttle on resupply missions). To get it going you need government spending, but the dominant philosophy of the United States's current ruling party is that government spending except on DoD = bad, tax cuts for the obscenely wealthy = good.

Put those two things together, you'd have better odds of getting struck by lightning than this actually happening.

except that 'dominant party' is both of them Starswordc. (do you need to be reminded who dragged their feet after Challenger or who was in office when columbia burned up? or whose "NASA Priority" was to do NOAA's job instead? or which party was in charge of the purse when they dismantled the entire Apollo program?)

Hey, no argument from me, I'm just making the observation of which one of the two brags about it as the cornerstone of their entire platform (the other one at least tries to look like they don't most of the time). Hell, the space shuttle was a clusterfrak of earmarks to begin with. It had a bunch of stuff baked into its design, like needing to get taken completely apart and put back together after every flight, that had no engineering purpose but plenty of political purpose.

BTW, Columbia happened under Dubya, with a Republican Congress.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    The death of the Challenger and all aboard her was not attributable to any political process at all, but rather to a culture in NASA that was more dedicated to getting the ships up on time than to paying attention to safety margins. Problems with the booster O-rings had been noted for years, but reporting was kept strictly between the Marshall Space Flight Center and Thiokol, the contractor responsible; senior NASA personnel weren't even notified until after disaster happened.

No successor has been built because Congresscritters, irrespective of political affiliation, care more about getting contracts for their home areas than helping a government department - any government department - succeed. That's how they get elected in the first place, and failure to deliver means they don't get re-elected. And every time NASA came up with a design, Congress would fiddle with it to spread the work out, until eventually the design would either be obsolete or dangerous (or, in the case of Ares, both; static tests showed that the crew capsule would have been subject to so much vibration it would likely have killed said crew).

Fortunately, private enterprise has no such restrictions, which is why both SpaceX and United Launch Alliance are currently delivering satellites to orbit (and SpaceX is also running supplies to the ISS), and they will soon be joined by Blue Origin and (likely) Virgin Galactic (VG was conceived as low-orbit space tourism, but it would astonish me to learn that Richard Branson has no plans for cargo deliveries to space as well).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    To get it going you need government spending, but the dominant philosophy of the United States's current ruling party is that government spending except on DoD = bad, tax cuts for the obscenely wealthy = good.

Ok, we can take it as given then that huge contracts/subsidies will be funneled to Boeing, Lockheed, etc. However, as long as they are getting umpty billion dollars per year, we may as well have them building space hardware as opposed to more overpriced warplanes that would only be fully utilized in a World War Three-scale war. The F-22 or B-2 programs each cost more to develop in inflation-adjusted dollars than the Space Shuttle did. Let's build a 2020s update of the X-20 or something (e.g. a man-rated derivative of the X-37B).

As for the argument that going to the Moon is useless due to having already gone there during the Apollo Program, what would you say if, after six landings of two men each, none longer than four days or traveling more than eight kilometers from the landing point, that European nations had decided that America was useless and not worth further examination? The Moon may lack breathable air, but the same could be said of literally all locations currently known in the whole universe outside of Earth.