test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Which Seasonal Event is Your Favourite?

direwolf016#2451 direwolf016 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
Both current seasonal events are pretty fun--nothing like a bit of mind-numbing Swedish Fish-Fishing, or a relaxing flight around a Hawaii-esque volcano--but each holds different interests and levels of interactivity. Which are you more partial to?

Which Seasonal Event is Your Favourite? 70 votes

Summer Event
35%
f9thretxcgaraks31alexraptorrstrathkinreyan01bloodyrizseaofsorrowsseriousdavespacehermitcrashdragonnimbullsistericdmlouciferalcyoneserenekiralyntheraven2378tyler002tm706jamieblanchardavoozuul 25 votes
Winter Event
64%
nightkenikonn#1068coldnapalmduncanidaho11mattjohnsonvarepetitiveepicvegeta50024lordsteve1zarato4218sheldonlcooperltminnseldarion79where2r1lexusk19kodachikunomidnightrider7jcsteelewillidespeterconnorfirstkyle223cat 45 votes

Comments

• Options
    direwolf016#2451 direwolf016 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    Summer Event
    Me, personally, I favour the Summer Event a bit more. This past summer was my first time experiencing it (PS4), and it was a blast. It brought back some nostalgia for me, aesthetically, to some of the things my family and I would do when I was growing up. It kinda added to the feeling of summer, for me, as well--I'd go out and swim in the pool, enjoy a bit off the grill, and then come and fly/dance/surf around all in the name of fun, and it was kinda mentally relaxing. The Winter Event is pretty fun, but it doesn't have that same connected feel that its counterpart does, IMO.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Winter Event
    Winter, if only because the reward clothes are not ridiculously restricted.
  • Options
    kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    Neither. I injoy the recruitment events more
  • Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    Summer Event
    Summer, mainly because getting the event tokens is typically less frustrating.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    Summer Event
    Summer, I can't win that stupid winter race for love nor money. Been trying since it started way back when.
    My mother always told me to walk away from a fight, The Marines taught me how.
  • Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    Summer Event
    f9thretxc wrote: »
    Summer, I can't win that stupid winter race for love nor money. Been trying since it started way back when.
    Using the 'foward roll' for turning corners makes it a lot easier.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I'm pretty sick of both actually, but if I must choose...summer I guess.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Winter Event
    kinda sick of em both myself, but I think I'll go with winter... fewer hypersexualized characters running around in string bikini and the event store doodads are less obnoxious to obtain.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Winter Event
    Winter, because shooting snowmen is more fun than building sandcastles.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    shodan#9788 shodan Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Definitely summer.... much more relaxing.
  • Options
    soullessraptorsoullessraptor Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    Winter Event
    Winter. Mostly because, c'mon. It's a Q-driven event. Much funnier, weirder, and more enjoyable. Summer is all well and good, but it makes too much sense.
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    Summer Event
    I kinda hate what the winter event has turned into, another friggin dps chase with all those combat events.
    I'll do the ship grind once a day and doffing for winter currency, besides that it's pretty much over for me.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Winter Event
    Id go with winter event as its main currency can be acquired through the doff system. Less grindy event is more fun event.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Summer Event
    I don't take part in either one, so I don't care.

The only thing I do is the Ice Race and the Jet Pack course to get the ship, otherwise I have no interest in either.

Overall though, I voted for the Summer event because the ship is more varied. The Winter is always a Breen Ship which is getting a little old. Still, it's a free ship and I am happy to get it.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Winter Event
    Don't get me wrong, I do like the Summer as well. Getting the ship is easy and Risa is nicely done. The problem with the Summer Event is the ridiculous costs for just about anything from that Event Store. Compare the overall costs of Training Manuals, Kit Modules, etc. between the Summer and Winter and Winter wins hands down. Costs for the Manuals are the SAME for all Levels in Winter, whereas Summer escalates per Level and actually starts off at Ensign, while Winter starts at Lieutenant.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    smooshy#7462 smooshy Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    Summer Event
    As close to a tie as I can get, but if forced to choose, I'd say Summer. The events are more relaxed and there are two methods for getting reputation marks... I mean pets. The environs are a bit more to my liking as well, but I hate that the costume buys are restricted. I understand they don't want it to turn into Baywatch Fleet, but it's still annoying to have a look in mind, but a costume bit doesn't show up with other things that would make it awesome (I almost had a Shahna Drill Thrall costume going, but some costume bits are in the wrong category). I'd prefer if the costume creator was just opened up for everything.
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    Winter Event
    Winter rules...Playerbase usually is happier during this time of the year. There are LOTs of fleet parties and more people want to give away free stuff. Summer is cool but usually not many log in during that event and people are sadder too tiger-2.gif​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    Summer Event
    I hate Snow!
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • Options
    f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    Summer Event
    tyler002 wrote: »
    f9thretxc wrote: »
    Using the 'foward roll' for turning corners makes it a lot easier.

Thank you, I have tried that along with the no hands on keys and jump.

My Biggest problem is that I have severe arthritis that makes doing many key combos on the keyboard difficult at best . Heh, My little three year old Nephew the other day , asked me why my fingers where all curled up, and I told him...

"When I was a kid, I was picking my nose and a bugger bit it." He laughed and has kept his fingers away from his nose for a week now.

My mother always told me to walk away from a fight, The Marines taught me how.
  • Options
    bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    Winter Event
    Winter by FAR...

My fleet is having the best PARTY EVER and our Xmas Party is a tradition.​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    Winter Event
    ltminns wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I do like the Summer as well. Getting the ship is easy and Risa is nicely done. The problem with the Summer Event is the ridiculous costs for just about anything from that Event Store. Compare the overall costs of Training Manuals, Kit Modules, etc. between the Summer and Winter and Winter wins hands down. Costs for the Manuals are the SAME for all Levels in Winter, whereas Summer escalates per Level and actually starts off at Ensign, while Winter starts at Lieutenant.

Yeah, pretty much this. In Winter, you can get a costume piece or weapon with the rewards from activities from a single cycle, easily. Try to get anything with the meager Favors that you collected during a single cycle on Risa.

I like them both, but Winter feels much less grindy.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Winter Event
    Man, this is actually a tough call.

I'll get this out of the way, I preferred both better before some major changes were made to their respective environments; Risa's day/night cycle is sorely missed, and the Winter Event was much more relaxing an experience (even with all the constant snow-based combat) when everything was designed more like a ski lodge than a Frozen-esque ice-scape.

That said, both are a welcome distraction from the rest of the game. No "only ship in range" situations, no war story or yet another copy/paste species division to keep track of, no constant threat of intra-galactic war... The Summer event lets you relax in a simpler, lore-friendly way with a great environment to explore and fun little gimmicks to play with. The Winter event is a no holds barred wacky extravaganza with a light dusting of Christmas cheer, completely removed from the game.

I think, weighing in on all factors, I have to give the edge to the Winter Event, if only by virtue of requiring less overall grind to get most of the goodies, but that's a minuscule advantage given how little I mind the Risa grind.

I just wish it didn't take so long to earn the ships. As short as the required activities are, there's only so many days I can do exactly the same thing over and over and over and over before I get tired of it...
  • Options
    jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    Summer Event
    Almost a tie, as I find both enjoyable on their own merits. Though maybe summer if I had to choose one. As the fellow above me said, both events are a nice change of pace from the usual story goings on.
    As close to a tie as I can get, but if forced to choose, I'd say Summer. The events are more relaxed and there are two methods for getting reputation marks... I mean pets. The environs are a bit more to my liking as well, but I hate that the costume buys are restricted. I understand they don't want it to turn into Baywatch Fleet, but it's still annoying to have a look in mind, but a costume bit doesn't show up with other things that would make it awesome (I almost had a Shahna Drill Thrall costume going, but some costume bits are in the wrong category). I'd prefer if the costume creator was just opened up for everything.

One of my biggest wishes would be to have Aloha shirts finally available to all my crew members. If I could have that and those little white hats, I could finally have my McHale's Navy themed crew! And what better place to RP such shenanigans than Risa! XD "Find Gruber's still in the jungle ..."

Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Summer Event
    Summer, used to have better ships when they were releasing Risian ships. Winter event is just to meh.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    Winter Event
    Winter by default as I haven't got to play the summer one being a newish player and all. That and I'm a winter kind of person anyway, see plenty of my fellow fleet bros too so we can team up for snowman murder.
  • Options
    disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    Winter Event
    They're both really fun, but the Winter Wonderland simply has more rewards, and easier ways to get the currency for the event. I love both maps and could never choose between them, but there's little of interest in the summer store, compared to the crazy stuff in the winter store.

I will say though, Risa gets points for being available all year long (Just not the event itself), and the ships are soooo much better than the boring old "Breen ship that looks like a hunk of a Borg cube". Blech. Next year we need something new.
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    Winter Event
    As much as I enjoy the Summer Event, I just like the Winter Event a little bit more. There are just more things to do in QWW.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    Summer Event
    This is my third winter event and I stopped finding the winter fun during my second year of doing it, it just doesn't excite me anymore.

However the loss of the night and day cycle did reduce the enjoyment I had from the Summer event a bit but still not enough to stop me from preferring summer over winter, I also wish I actually bothered to do the summer event during my first year on this game as it had the Nandi, I also don't really care much for the Vorgon ships.

I can't wait until the summer event for 2019 in the hopes that they actually do T6 Risian ships after the last Vorgon ship in 2018, but I hope it's a T6 Risian Corvette then.
    Post edited by avoozuul on