test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Replicatable Items on the Exchange.

I always wondered what the point was for putting replicatable items on the exchange, priced higher than what it costs to replicate them...

Is it just a way of asking for an EC handout? It's the only thing that makes sense. Why would anyone pay 100EC for one unit of synthale when they can get it from their replicator for 20EC.

Now if I get synthale as part of a loot drop, I will post it on the exchange for 19 EC/unit. It didn't cost me anything to get it, so I don't mind letting it go for less than what it costs to replicate. I'd be making a tiny profit while saving my fellow player a tiny bit. But to charge more than it costs to replicate seems unethical to me...
"There can be no meeting of the minds between two parties
if both parties are not willing to meet in the middle."
-Ambassador Samuel J. Stone

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    "The value of a thing is what that thing will bring." If someone wants to spend a hundred credits to buy something any barkeep will sell them for twenty, it's not my job to correct them.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • preikopreiko Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    The Exchange has even more EC surprises :-)
    keep looking
    i made my first 50 million .. back in the days
    when Star Trek online was still young
    i just ran back and forth between vendor and exchange
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2017
    Yea true. Just often it's the new players who get taken advantage of by less scrupulous players. I think people who try selling replicated items, or items purchased from vendors, often for 20, 50, 100, 150, 300, 600, 1200 or 1500 but then do so at greatly inflated prices our in my opinion sad people who have little or no moral center. Besides if your limited to selling 40 items at a time (not sure if that removed for Lifetimers) but still I couldn't be bothered to waste my time.

Now items earned thru Duty Officer missions like Ferasan Napala Leaves, Unrefined Ketracel, or those types of items I certainly have no issue if people want 2500-5000 or more for some of them. Lockbox items people should also try to get the best price they can for them.

I'm just saying it's far easier to make 750,000 or more just spending 15 minutes doing Tour the Galaxy if you have Fleet Impulse Engines or Omega or Borg Impulse.

Although I will say I am greatly thankful to the KIND SOULS who post there Data Chips from the Academy or New Romulus they can't use so someone else can earn the accolade.

Oh the LOVE is returning...
    0zxlclk.png
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The exchange is not an exercise in ethics. It is sometimes an exercise in stupidity, though.
  • tm706tm706 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    At what percentage is the sale ethical ? I just want to make sure I'm not crossing the magic and arbitrary line.
    Coffee is life.

Message me in-game (@tm706) for help

1st Alpha Quadrant Fleet
  • usskentuckyusskentucky Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    I’ll buy vendor items to save time walking places and loading maps. Science has shown that buying time is the best way to buy happiness.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2017
    I stated I think it's immoral to try selling a replicated or vendor or commodity item be it 20, 50, 100, 150, 300, 600, 1200, 1500 or something else for far more on the exchange. But as jonsills said I also don't try to correct them / nor can you prevent them.

My comment was simply pointing out people who do that while in my opinion perhaps are less morally based; why waste your time when you can make 750,000 energy credits or more doing Tour the Galaxy in 15 minutes. How much money will you make selling a 20, 50, 100, 150, 300, 600, 1200, 1500 item for 2x-25x the price you paid if limited to 40 items and how long will it take to sell? Be lucky if you made 50,000 - 100,000 after spending hours when you could have done Tour the Galaxy in 15 minutes and made 750,000 or more.

Shaking head...
    0zxlclk.png
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    Small and Med Hypos sell fast in a full stack. Back when I needed ec and wasn't sure the best way to get it, I would buy them in stacks and sell the entire stack in seconds. Unethical probably but I figured it was someone who was running higher content, while standing in one spot buying it so they didn't have to move.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • bobs1111bobs1111 Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    I buy stacks for fleet projects from the exchange all the time.

Frankly I make 30-200mil ec a day depending what I'm up to how long I have and how the day goes... I can't be bothered to run to a vendor to fill a project. If my buying a few things at double the vendor price helps some new player out so be it.

I can't imagine anyone who has been working the exchange for ages hasn't found more lucrative angles.
  • soullessraptorsoullessraptor Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    To quote the illustrious PT Barnum, there's a sucker born every minute. People list them to free inventory space, and hey, if some idiot buys em, more credits to them!
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Back in my Vanilla WoW days I made plenty of gold by buying basic crafting mats like thread from the NPC vendors and throwing them on the auction house. This is a very old technique that is more successful than you would ever expect, not surprised at all that people are doing it in STO too.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I once put 200 Livanian beets on the exchange for 1000 ec each. It's a rare food that can be replicated if you have certain doffs. So 20 ec each, 200 beets... (1000-20)*200 = 196,000 ec profit off stuff that came out of my replicator.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    Some people don't realize that some items can be replicated or have a vendor ... somewhere. And If you need something for the cooking or bartending mission chain it might be easier to spend 1,000 EC than trying to find the right vendor

Also, a few replicator items are (or used to be) faction-specific. Bloodwine and gagh are not plentiful on Earth Spacedock.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    not all replicated items are available to all species. also it depends on the cook/bartender you have.

sides it's all about convenience.... if your looking for something and your at the exchange... look for it there than close out and open a new window and then go back... "time is money, friend"
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Yeah, I know. I bought a couple training manuals from the vendor for 2k. Realized I didn't need them and put them on the Exchange for the lowest price (55k) and some goober bought them. Oh well, I guess running to ESD/Qonos was too hard vs the convenience of the Exchange.
  • tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    strathkin wrote: »
    My comment was simply pointing out people who do that while in my opinion perhaps are less morally based; why waste your time when you can make 750,000 energy credits or more doing Tour the Galaxy in 15 minutes. How much money will you make selling a 20, 50, 100, 150, 300, 600, 1200, 1500 item for 2x-25x the price you paid if limited to 40 items and how long will it take to sell? Be lucky if you made 50,000 - 100,000 after spending hours when you could have done Tour the Galaxy in 15 minutes and made 750,000 or more.

Shaking head...

Tour, eh?

smh.

I always buy training manuals on the exchange because its convenient, they are all in one place.

The price difference is almost exactly 0 compared to the vendor or wherever else they come from.
    The opportunity cost of a 5 minute detour to get to the vendor and back far surpasses the slightly marked up cost of buying them off the exchange; after all, the mark up is the what someone else's time is worth to them. Going by the asking prices, there seem to be a whole lot of folks who value their time significantly less than I value mine.
    /channel_join grind
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    preiko wrote: »
    The Exchange has even more EC surprises :-)
    keep looking
    i made my first 50 million .. back in the days
    when Star Trek online was still young
    i just ran back and forth between vendor and exchange

I did this too. It was ridiculous, and profitable.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • bobs1111bobs1111 Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @bobs1111 said:
    > I buy stacks for fleet projects from the exchange all the time.
    >
    > Frankly I make 30-200mil ec a day depending what I'm up to how long I have and how the day goes... I can't be bothered to run to a vendor to fill a project. If my buying a few things at double the vendor price helps some new player out so be it.
    >
    > I can't imagine anyone who has been working the exchange for ages hasn't found more lucrative angles.

Fleet projects do not require commodities anymore.

That cant be true he buys stacks for them all the time he said so.

Was talking more in a generic sense. If I need something for any project doff base whatever if I have to run to a vendor I don't bother, stacks of little piddly TRIBBLE isn't worth running around over was my point.

Same is true of white duty officers which projects do take... do I bother running to the Sol Acc to break doffs down to white or what have you... or do I just open the exchange and buy a bunch. EC isn't a big deal to some of us and if I can save 10 min just hitting buy a few times where I'm already standing I do.

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    At their heart, many people are as*hats, that's why.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns