test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

LeVar Burton mistaken for LaVar Ball and being attacked on twitter.

bwleon7bwleon7 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
edited November 2017 in Ten Forward
Regardless of how each of us may feel politically we are all united in our love of Star Trek, people are wrongly attacking Geordi. He is one of us. We can not let this stand.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/11/22/reading-rainbow-host-levar-burton-gets-mistaken-for-lavar-ball-on-twitter.html

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/levar-burton-lavar-ball-not-same_us_5a14b2f3e4b025f8e9325669
Dr. Miranda Jones: I understand, Mr. Spock. The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.
Mr. Spock: And the ways our differences combine, to create meaning and beauty.

-Star Trek: Is There in Truth No Beauty? (1968)

Comments

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    The fact that Trump supporters can't tell the difference between the names 'Ball' and 'Burton' tells you everything you need to know about them ...
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    :'( #IHatePeople
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Textex
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    morans3.jpg?1258151610
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    The fact that Trump supporters can't tell the difference between the names 'Ball' and 'Burton' tells you everything you need to know about them ...

This is not an issue about Trump supporters. This is about a lot of parents being outraged how ungrateful this parent is about Trump saving their son from a Chinese prison. If Hitler or Stalin saved my son just for public recognition, then I would give them a personal Thank You for saving my son even though I hate their guts for killing millions of people. After all, a father is supposed to protect their family or at least thank the person that saves one of their family members if they are incapable of protecting that family member.

Using the term Trump Supporter is no better than any other disgusting term used to dehumanize a group of people. It is just a way to ignore a person's opinion because you dislike their political affiliation, race, gender, etc.

Although I wonder if Twitter has something similar to Google Suggest where typing in Lavar will give Levar. It is understandable for people that don't know about Levar Burton to confuse him with Lavar since they are extremely unique names especially when they are angry at how ungrateful someone is. If Levar wasn't in TNG, then most of us wouldn't know who he was.
    starkaos wrote: »

This is not an issue about Trump supporters. This is about a lot of parents being outraged how ungrateful this parent is about Trump saving their son from a Chinese prison. If Hitler or Stalin saved my son just for public recognition, then I would give them a personal Thank You for saving my son even though I hate their guts for killing millions of people. After all, a father is supposed to protect their family or at least thank the person that saves one of their family members if they are incapable of protecting that family member.

Using the term Trump Supporter is no better than any other disgusting term used to dehumanize a group of people. It is just a way to ignore a person's opinion because you dislike their political affiliation, race, gender, etc.

Although I wonder if Twitter has something similar to Google Suggest where typing in Lavar will give Levar. It is understandable for people that don't know about Levar Burton to confuse him with Lavar since they are extremely unique names especially when they are angry at how ungrateful someone is. If Levar wasn't in TNG, then most of us wouldn't know who he was.

You have your opinion, and I have mine.
    eaY7Xxu.png

Speak for yourself. I'm a child of the '90s, I saw the Reading Rainbow episode where Burton tours the TNG set way before I saw any actual episodes of TNG.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

Correct, if he wasn't in TNG, I wouldn't know him. However, I still wouldn't send some twitter insults against him, because Levar Burton is clearly not Lavar Ball, and I'd hate to send angry letters to the wrong guy.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    And old folks like me remember when Mr. Burton actually got his big break in Hollywood as Kunta Kinte.
    In the Epic, 8-Day, Mini-Series ... "ROOTS" ... back in 1977.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    starswordc wrote: »

Speak for yourself. I'm a child of the '90s, I saw the Reading Rainbow episode where Burton tours the TNG set way before I saw any actual episodes of TNG.

Probably seen Reading Rainbow as well when I was a kid, but I didn't realize that Levar Burton was the black guy on Reading Rainbow until just a few years ago. I certainly didn't see the TNG set on Reading Rainbow since it was after my time due to being a child of the 80s.

Correct, if he wasn't in TNG, I wouldn't know him. However, I still wouldn't send some twitter insults against him, because Levar Burton is clearly not Lavar Ball, and I'd hate to send angry letters to the wrong guy.

When some people are in an emotional state, they don't think clearly. If they heard it on the news then it is likely they heard Levar instead of Lavar which is an extremely easy mistake to make and didn't hear Ball. Personally, I hope Levar Burton got a good laugh out of this. Brent Spiner certainly did.
    When some people are in an emotional state, they don't think clearly. If they heard it on the news then it is likely they heard Levar instead of Lavar which is an extremely easy mistake to make and didn't hear Ball. Personally, I hope Levar Burton got a good laugh out of this. Brent Spiner certainly did.

The thing he's most known for is using his name and the success of his kids to push his own shoe brand, which are Big Baller Brand shoes, not Big Burton Brand.
    eaY7Xxu.png

The thing he's most known for is using his name and the success of his kids to push his own shoe brand, which are Big Baller Brand shoes, not Big Burton Brand.

So in other words for most people, he is a complete unknown that is experiencing his 15 minutes of infamy. All of his actions could be to sell his lousy shoes. The majority of people don't know who Lavar Ball and Levar Burton are.

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    daveyny wrote: »
    And old folks like me remember when Mr. Burton actually got his big break in Hollywood as Kunta Kinte.
    In the Epic, 8-Day, Mini-Series ... "ROOTS" ... back in 1977.
    B)

Wait...that was him?!? Now I'm gonna have to go back and watch roots.
    he's in a minor role in the new Roots series as well.

Oh and dispite having been born in 1982 I've actually seen at least parts of the old miniseries when I was a kid (in re-runs obviously).

It's probably harder to idetify what roles Levar Burton was if you knew him mostly from TNG as he had his eyes covered most of the time thus masking himself quite efficiently.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »

Probably seen Reading Rainbow as well when I was a kid, but I didn't realize that Levar Burton was the black guy on Reading Rainbow until just a few years ago. I certainly didn't see the TNG set on Reading Rainbow since it was after my time due to being a child of the 80s.

When some people are in an emotional state, they don't think clearly. If they heard it on the news then it is likely they heard Levar instead of Lavar which is an extremely easy mistake to make and didn't hear Ball.
    Getting into such an emotional state over such a thing that they aren't even personally involved in ... The internet is a strange place.
    Personally, I hope Levar Burton got a good laugh out of this. Brent Spiner certainly did.
    Most likely.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    I'm not sure who i should feel sorrier for : either Levar, or some lambda RL trainwreck who not only got butthurt over an affair that wasn't their business to begin with, but was also asinine enough to misread Burton's name and spam him with hate mail...
    Post edited by ashstorm1 on

So in other words for most people, he is a complete unknown that is experiencing his 15 minutes of infamy. All of his actions could be to sell his lousy shoes. The majority of people don't know who Lavar Ball and Levar Burton are.

Anyone who's watched ESPN or some other sports news program in the past couple years knows about Ball and his shoes. I hate basketball, and I'll never buy the guy's shoes, but he's been talked about so much in that particular circle that, as a Baseball fan, I couldn't help but know who he is.
    eaY7Xxu.png