test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Just a curiousity question from something I observed...

patrickngopatrickngo Member Posts: 9,954 Arc User
a premade from a certain fleet (we're not allowed to name them as that would be 'naming and shaming') have figured out how to spawncamp in Core Assault, right up to and including flying right through the doorway, park behind the pug they're stomping, and gun away without taking a single tick of damage.

The string of icons was kinda small...so...

anyone want to explain this one? Happened today. Really a terrific way to encourage people to avoid anything with a hint of PvP involved, btw, just charming, real TRIBBLE sportsmen.
Nature doesn't HAVE to be nice, or polite.

Free Hong Kong.

Comments

• nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    Guess what... i'm not surprised by that lol. Yeah this bug is old now, been around since months... The problem is the pvpers left in the game ( removing some good exceptions ), are just trolls and that's it. Enjoy :p
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    nandospc wrote: »
    Guess what... i'm not surprised by that lol. Yeah this bug is old now, been around since months... The problem is the pvpers left in the game ( removing some good exceptions ), are just trolls and that's it. Enjoy :p

Hmmm... an entire PvP FLEET that trolls. LOL!
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    patrickngo wrote: »
    at a certain point, it becomes inevitable. When nobody else wants them, where else can they go? none of this, of course, answers the question posed-but then, I suspect the people who worked out this bug definitely don't want to be caught knowing about it in public-or at least, admitting it.

Well, if you feel it is a bug, the obvious thing would be to make a thread in the Bug Report part of the forums...not in PvP Discussions. You know the Devs would never read a thing in here.

I am not sure what is more sad:
    Fleet leaders that are disgruntled to the point they allow this sort of activity by their members? Devs ignoring a new part of their game for so long it has become old hat for people willing to use this "bug"?

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    Why is a whole fleet ganging up on easy prey inevitable?
    If PvP is so boring in this game....why not go to other games with better PvP?

Are they just that bad at it?

edited November 2017
    Immunities, right now, I believe are working very questionably.

I can see from Pilot (which I run) there are problems specific to Scratch the Paint immunity....possibly even with the 15s lockout timer. I do not know enough about the other Specializations to see how immunities are acting over all. I just don't have that much time on my hands.

I am still not sure if the lock out messes with the immunity on my Pilot maneuver buttons...I am just not that good at keeping track of everything going on. Because there always seems to be a lockout timer up, anyways. It could be making my Pilot ship's Pilot Maneuvers just worthless trash. LOL!

Also, it was one of those Temporal Universal things (from Delta Recruit Rewards ??) that kept my immunity up all the time, I think. I chucked it into storage...heck with that noise. I wonder if they fixed that?

THIS is part of the reason I asked that we be able to toggle Specializations to select no specialization. It is too difficult for me to see much of anything with it all running. Especially, since most of the consoles lately have been defense oriented. There is nothing that will run roughshod over defense performance outcomes like immunity will.

I think there is over all issues with that status tray...I think that is where the program gets the information concerning activated abilities and cool downs on individuals. That will sure as TRIBBLE mess with immunity and a bunch of other things. I am not sure how it all fits together, yet.

I am about ready to give up on the video game part of this game because of this.
    It is not fun. Going for Specializations has ruined my Level 60 characters....though that is how I was lead to believe the game should be played. LOL!

++++++++++

Additionally:
    • All player damage immunities now place a 15 second lockout on you during which you cannot activate or otherwise be affected by any more damage immunities
    • All player damage immunities are now buffs that can be removed by buff removing abilities.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10476223-pc-patch-notes-for-4/25/17
    Post edited by where2r1 on

edited November 2017
    where2r1 wrote: »
    at a certain point, it becomes inevitable. When nobody else wants them, where else can they go? none of this, of course, answers the question posed-but then, I suspect the people who worked out this bug definitely don't want to be caught knowing about it in public-or at least, admitting it.

Well, if you feel it is a bug, the obvious thing would be to make a thread in the Bug Report part of the forums...not in PvP Discussions. You know the Devs would never read a thing in here.

I am not sure what is more sad:
    Fleet leaders that are disgruntled to the point they allow this sort of activity by their members? Devs ignoring a new part of their game for so long it has become old hat for people willing to use this "bug"?

I guess my problem is I'm hoping it's unintended, and not a situation of an intended exploit resulting from a power struggle internal to Cryptic.

Now please, hear me out on this.

for six years of the game's existence, the Lead developer's been openly hostile to the very idea of PvP or PvP like activities (aside from short-short racing games on fixed courses where players don't actually interact, that is.)

Now, some point in 2016, somehow, the newguy got permission to conduct a rebalance and design some maps where players DO interact, including PvP.

Said newguy tried to set up spawn zones that would, basically, kill you if you entered the other team's spawn. not a few turrets to kill for an extra accolade while you're camping other players, but outright kill you. He was even proud of it, and when it glitched and players started doing it anyway, it was fixed inside a week...

but then, it's like someone came back from vacation or something, because by the end of the first month, they were rolling back the rebalance efforts and put the competitive marks into 'general marks activities' that have zero to do with the competition the marks are supposed to be fostering, the matchmaking system's basically incomplete and the implementation was stopped cold past the initial three queues, and now, people aren't subspace-jumping in, they're flying right through the front door and parking to camp the spawn.

and guess who we haven't heard from since march??

It's like there's been a meeting or something where "The DPS people are complaining and we haven't heard from our buddies in the trolly fleets anything good, we're going to roll this back now and make sure it doesn't grow because what we absolutely don't want is a viable PvP environment where casuals can play it without spending 160 hours straight grinding PvE."

It really feels like that, when you look at the whole pattern, it's very like someone came back from his vacation/speaking tour, and said, "No, no, you've got it all wrong, PvP is all about trolling people and showing off how good you are at min/maxing and PvE grinding! we can't have a working matchmaking algorithm, or maps for newer players to maybe get a good experience here, it's got to suck for everyone who isn't a troll and that's final, now quit talking to people who don't get off on roflstomping n00bz and get back to work making my coffee!"

or something like that, because what they released in the first quarter of 2017 had real possibilities, and what's there now, well, it's been gutted and passed over to the same douchebags that basically killed the rest of it with exploits and untested powers.

Well, if this is true. It is a pretty sad state of affairs at Cryptic.
    They are only continuing to feed this "trolling" atmosphere, themselves.

I was under the impression that a lot of the DPS people are taking a hiatus from the game, too.

edited November 2017
    Why is a whole fleet ganging up on easy prey inevitable?
    If PvP is so boring in this game....why not go to other games with better PvP?

Are they just that bad at it?

It's not that, it's that the mechanics have been 'de-balanced' back to the point they can't find anyone who can kill them-including each other. I sat there in respawn watching this guy roll chained immunities-something that was specifically eliminated in the balance patch back in march, in a zone that's supposed to be LETHAL after the first patch done on the Core Assault map (also back in march).

It wasn't evasion, He was parked at the back of the spawn zone, after flying right in the front door.

If I'd had my wits about me, I'd have taken screenshots to show how long the buff bar was staying with him doing that, while the rest of his team were basically all from the same fleet. (I won't violate the terms of service, but it's a fairly old fleet with some history to them, people who one would normally think would know better what killed the activity in the first place because they existed when PvP had a much larger community and wasn't dominated by trolls and douchebags.)\

The only POSITIVE explanation I can come up with, is these guys couldn't find a match with another established PvP fleet-possibly because it would be futile, since they're all running such high levels of immunity that they can't be hurt, so they're bored enough to go trolling for pugs and newbies because they can't get a match anymore that doesn't last three hours and end up being a case of 'win by default' when one team or the other gets bored and leaves after being unable to kill one another.

Which is a sort of problem that goes right back into the developer's lap, since they're supposed to be on top of that sort of thing in terms of preventing it.

I wonder if what I am seeing with immunities (out here in solo play land) has something to do with what is going on in Core Assault?

You said he was chaining immunity? There is a 15s lock out on them for me (supposedly)....why not in Core Assault? What did they change inside that "instance" that would do that??

Especially, if he is in the enemy camp or respawn point where the mechanics are set up so he should be dead? I believe immunities should not work for that player at all... but they are.

Egads, it sounds more and more like they got a mess on their hands.

edited November 2017
    I had a pretty radical idea pitched to me the other day....and, now, I am thinking it may be viable for PvP.

Instead of going with low level where you eliminate the upper end of the equation.
    Have you considered trying PvP with a zeroized skill tree. Yeah, zero points in the Skill Tree.

So, basically, just gear, traits, abilities, DOFFs, Specializations, T-6 ships allowed in any combo people can come up with.... But NOT piled on top of points from the skill tree.

I am actually going to try this on my Level 60 characters.

Because:
    I don't think Cryptic will ever let me turn off Specializations completely.
    I know adjusting from Normal to Advanced doesn't change things enough.
    Plus, hate that injuries thing.
    And I want to use my Pilot Raptors and Kor. LOL!

It's like any business model, you get the customer base you serve. a lot of us were seeing the trend as early as the first time they released Reputations, some who aren't here anymore were predicting this before that.

When you base your multiplayer on power-creep, the only customers you keep on a steady basis are power-gamers. Cryptic's work-around has been the Star Trek IP, but there's really no service there except the spacebarbie aspect and a quarterly episode release with legacy actors (paying screen actor's guild rates, so you can't say they're destitute.)

at some point, they have to be considering the over-all game, and the strategy's worked-thus far, so really carping on the condition of the PvP/Pvp-alike material gets nowhere, because at the end of the day, what they've done and what they're doing makes money.

and it's really difficult to argue with a successful strategy.

Well, Patrickngo, there isn't much one can do about work culture and business strategy of Cryptic and STO by chit chatting on the forums.

It is not going to address what is going on with the degradation of the PvP player base. OR any of the negative attitudes about PvP at Cryptic or with players, anyways.

All you can try is create alternate environments to attempt a revival.
    If you care not to be involved in a revival...move on. No sense wallowing in this TRIBBLE.

You are seeing chaining immunities...that I can work with....and see what I can see as I am testing and am clowning around with STO....and report it.

But I can not do anything about : finding new players who may be interested in PvP and finding them before the "gankers" and "trolls" find them and destroy them. Nor, can I find new PvP players before they are discouraged by the type of PvP the "wallet warriors" are going to force them to face.

I am certain PvP can be done at any level in this game....just like I can adjust my game play experience for solo play...but choosing to go that the low end route?? I am not sure is what PvPers are all about. They actually want the bells and whistles and expensive stuff and there is no way to change that in PvP culture, either.

The last I heard of someone trying to bring back PvP Boot Camp was on Reddit this summer. I do not know if anything came of it. I am not sure how else to try to bring back the network of "well adjusted", casual PvPers.

I definitely don't ever expect seeing anything but gankers and trolls in PvP, Patrickngo.
    That is all I ever hear about these days. It has been that way a long time.

If it weren't for the detailed posts you write in here on occasion, and the responses, I wouldn't even realize there actually are people out there that still cared about a more attainable level of PvP.

++++++++++++

I do not like that players hunt for and use these broken things, either.
    As if it is OK and should be celebrated and upgraded to EPIC.
    And passing it along to others...
    Instead of trying to get it fixed, any more.
    (What the hell happened to the "Bug Hunter Initiative"?)

I do not like that the Devs can not seem to resolve the exploitative use and bugs that break the game (like this one in Core Assault) in a timely fashion. As in hours or days...not weeks, not years.

And I don't like that a patch will break it all over, again. It makes me wonder if records of changes are not properly documented and maintained, or something?

It is a sad cycle. Only Cryptic can change it.
    Engage in their own game, talk and listen to their own players.

• rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    nandospc wrote: »

Hmmm... an entire PvP FLEET that trolls. LOL!

Three years ago there were whole fleets dedicated to that. Praise Cheesus I was in one of them.

Need more clicky consoles.

But PvP seems to be not only dead, but well decayed.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus