test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Current Foundry Status - UP (missions and editor) - Up on tribble

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited November 2017

Good points, well made, however the same fly is in the ointment, we have no metrics, we are not given any data regarding player numbers or what they do in the game. It is for Cryptic to decide if they are to include an unsupported aspect of their game. My view is this, if it's worth doing then it's worth doing well. If Cryptic think it's worth inclusion then support it, otherwise get rid of it and invest the resources elsewhere. Before doing that of course they should be very sure that they are not alienating a large part of their player base. With a paltry 140 or so missions, STO has to be one of the most barren MMOs in terms of number of quests. The foundry fills this gap, when it's switched on.

One qualification here (just to refocus things a bit): the word "metrics" is a general forum misnomer. A metric is a tool for measurement, not the data it generates. What we're talking about here is statistics. That's worth highlighting because in lacking stats (which is ordinary, lacking "metrics" is special to the STO forums) the problem we face here is easier to work around. We simply aren't expected to cite data, that information is proprietary. But we can deal with specific concepts like "available content" and "player engagement during slow periods." Making the point that the Foundry vastly improves the quest offerings for STO (without requiring massive dev time) is a good one, and something that could be included in a [hypothetical] proposal.

It's still worth keeping data somewhere in mind but, in making suggestions to Cryptic, more on the point of avoiding claims we patently can't verify. Ex. that player retention will be improved by more than 50% if more features are added to the Foundry. Instead we could say that features X, Y, and Z would target problems Foundry authors or players have in producing and finding high quality content. The exact player reaction might not be predictable (this is a problems devs face too, they may have numbers but they lack Psychohistory :tongue: ) but with sufficient reasoning we might be able to say that our proposal could have significant benefit for acceptable costs. Business decisions can then take that into consideration.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited November 2017
    Update from today's Ten Forward: work on a fix still in progress. No ETA yet.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    them not giving an ETA is honestly not surpricing or cause for consern, as it's been said countless times already the devs strongly dislike giving ETAs instead of solid ironclad dates they know 100% will be met as people to see ETAs as solid dates.

spiritborn wrote: »
    them not giving an ETA is honestly not surpricing or cause for consern, as it's been said countless times already the devs strongly dislike giving ETAs instead of solid ironclad dates they know 100% will be met as people to see ETAs as solid dates.

I've been doing a lot of that saying, Spiritborn. What I posted was a simple statement that there's no ETA at this time.

I've been doing a lot of that saying, Spiritborn. What I posted was a simple statement that there's no ETA at this time.
    I know, it wasn't directed at you Duncan but rather to those who see "no ETA yet" as sign that "cryptic is ignoring this", I should probably been more clear about that.
    edited November 2017
    Guys, this is getting very tiring. I was only trying to give complete information for those on this forum. I will not engage in further discussion about whether Cryptic should give an ETA (late comers can read the full thread), what this downtime is about, what we should do about it, or where this fits in with other bugs (a demorecord fix is also in the works.)
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Well, with the Foundry down, it's impossible to complete the Endeavor that just popped up.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    iamynaught wrote: »
    Well, with the Foundry down, it's impossible to complete the Endeavor that just popped up.

It's being addressed right now : https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1236315/pc-the-issue-with-todays-endeavor
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Did anyone get any feedback from this week's live stream on ETA? It's gone very quiet and it's now over 7 weeks down.

Sorry...didn't have time for the live stream over here...and I still don't...I have to get the lights and decor up outside before my neighbor start asking questions.

(Neighbor, coincidentally, is, also, the Home Owner's Association President...I mean, he never asks me "officially" or anything like that...but still HOA Prez, ya know what I mean? LOL!)
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    edited November 2017
    Did anyone get any feedback from this week's live stream on ETA? It's gone very quiet and it's now over 7 weeks down.

Kael acknowledged that the Foundry was down and we prodded him a few times on that. Read between the lines: no news yet.

That's also why it's quiet. I won't encourage in any repeat discussion about downtime itself and most people in the community are busy with side projects, writing, other games, the mirror event, podcasts (we had the Foundry Roundtable last weekend), and other stuff (ex. Thanksgiving.) What else is there to say but "no fix yet, hang tight."

Kael acknowledged that the Foundry was down and we prodded him a few times on that. Read between the lines: no news yet.

That's also why it's quiet. I won't encourage in any repeat discussion about downtime itself and most people in the community are busy with side projects, writing, other games, the mirror event, podcasts (we had the Foundry Roundtable last weekend), and other stuff (ex. Thanksgiving.) What else is there to say but "no fix yet, hang tight."

speaking of the lastest Foundry roundtable didn't we(well you the hosts mostly) discuss that there probably wouldn't be anything this week due the Thanksgiving holidays?
    speaking of the lastest Foundry roundtable didn't we(well you the hosts mostly) discuss that there probably wouldn't be anything this week due the Thanksgiving holidays?

Yup, people are busy with family. :)
    Anyone check Neverwinter's Forums? I remember that the Devs were a bit more open about stuff over there.
    I will check myself later....but don't have time right now.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Anyone check Neverwinter's Forums? I remember that the Devs were a bit more open about stuff over there.

From Neverwinter dev Miasmat today:
    We tried to get it working before we all went on break, but didn't get through all the tasks in time. We'll try to finish Geoff Foundry working next week. Sorry this delay had been longer than normal - there's some internal stuff we're changing that had unexpected side effects on Foundry.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    DOOM!!!!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited November 2017
    where2r1 wrote: »

From Neverwinter dev Miasmat today:
    We tried to get it working before we all went on break, but didn't get through all the tasks in time. We'll try to finish Geoff Foundry working next week. Sorry this delay had been longer than normal - there's some internal stuff we're changing that had unexpected side effects on Foundry.

Thanks for posting Duncanidaho. :)

I went and checked it, too...but you beat me back here.
    Although, I am jealous. They get more options besides Flag and Quote over there....
    pG4P7qx.jpg

• theyredeadjimtheyredeadjim Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    DOOM!!!!

Shhh! You seem to have forgotten that our odious master does not wish to have his entrance announced :P

• nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    Back when I played the game, the Foundry was the best part of it, and I enjoyed making missions more than just about anythign else in the game. However, I eventually soured on the Foundry because I felt Cryptic wasn't serious about supporting it, and I got sick of being treated like a second or third class citizen.

So, I finally reinstalled the game after a number of years, and I figured I'd log in to see if any of my old missions were still up (I figure they probably broke long ago). And, of course, ironically (or not?) I discover the Foundry has been down, apparently for weeks.

I've always loved the potential of the Foundry and felt that Cryptic (or is it now PWE or ARC?) wasn't utilizing it to its full potential. But I'm sad to say, this sort of thing is why I eventually gave up on it. :/
  • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    nagorak wrote: »
    Back when I played the game, the Foundry was the best part of it, and I enjoyed making missions more than just about anythign else in the game. However, I eventually soured on the Foundry because I felt Cryptic wasn't serious about supporting it, and I got sick of being treated like a second or third class citizen.

So, I finally reinstalled the game after a number of years, and I figured I'd log in to see if any of my old missions were still up (I figure they probably broke long ago). And, of course, ironically (or not?) I discover the Foundry has been down, apparently for weeks.

I've always loved the potential of the Foundry and felt that Cryptic (or is it now PWE or ARC?) wasn't utilizing it to its full potential. But I'm sad to say, this sort of thing is why I eventually gave up on it. :/

I've been myself staying away from STO for circa two weeks now. The Foundry being down amputated the whole game of about 80% of its interest for me...
  • zebulongileszebulongiles Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    Looks like the Foundry is back up on the Tribble server, according to todays Tribble server notes, just checked it myself, and it is back up on the Tribble server. :)
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    Cannot copy our foundry characters from live to tribble.