test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Should they add the Gorn as a playable species in the Federation?

spacecatz#6038 spacecatz Member Posts: 69 Arc User
I have always wanted to play as a Gorn in the Federation faction and even more so when I saw the Federation aligned Temporal Agent Gorn in the Future Proof mission "The Temporal Front", I am willing to pay for them as a C-Store option. I don't think it would hurt for them to add just one more KDF species to the Federation side besides the Klingon's.
Post edited by spacecatz#6038 on

Should they add the Gorn as a playable species in the Federation? 61 votes

Yes, I would like to make a Federation aligned Gorn.
19%
garaks31raquel13crashdragonjjohnson1777soullessraptordjf021tyler002warpangelshadowkoshavoozuulshadowwraith#9264spacecatz#6038 12 votes
No, Gorn should only be available to KDF players.
63%
nightkenikonn#1068reiklingraidercoldnapalmssbn655berginsteoretduncanidaho11alexraptorrbaddmoonrizinxxxhellspawnyxxxmattjohnsonvaeazziedracounguiscidjackrepetitiveepicisthissciencewhere2r1kodachikunoarliekkos 39 votes
I really wouldn't care one way or the other.
16%
angrytargthay8472tarran61leemwatsonmneme0thunder7964storulessophia#6343disqord#9557silverlobes#2676 10 votes

Comments

• Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    No way. Feds have been ripping off the KDF enough as it is.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    I'd be cool with letting everyone be any species they want, regardless of faction, but I don't see why the Gorn of all species should get the special treatment.

There haven't ever been Gorn main characters like the Klingon Worf or the Trill Dax that have just decided to be Starfleet.

Caitians and Ferasans used to be the same species, so some crossing over would make sense, but the Gorn don't have any preexisting ties to speak of.
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    nope
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    reiklingraiderreiklingraider Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    When I wanted to play as a Trill I made a Fed Trill. If someone wants to be a Gorn they should play as a KDF Gorn. There are no Federation aligned Gorns in Star Trek lore that I know of. Please correct me if I am wrong.
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    Just... No!
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    Considering I generally support removing the ridiculous faction restrictions on races entirely, my opinion should be obvious.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    God no

New canon races should take precedence over porting over old ones.

If you have to have a Scalie-bait race for the Federation, at least give us the Selay. They're canon, they're visually different, it's a win-win! ...Except for the art guys who will be nagged about making new helmets to fit them for ages, but I mean, not everyone can be a winner.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    What about ... unlock a fed Gorn by having a max level kdf Gorn?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    No. The SpoonFeds have been given enough by Cryptic over the years. Although I wouldn't be surprised at all by someone on Blue Side asking the Dev team to play the game for them. We're not that far off from this anyways.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    KDF get Trill and Caitian (Feresan) while Fed only get Klingon, it seems only fair that Fed get another KDF species.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Obviously people are sill living in the past as they are forgetting how the KDF (and Romulans) are starting to get their fair share of stuff. When the Vesta's, Miranda, and Nebula all Fed ships got T6 versions the KDF and Rom's have gotten their own versions as well.
  • Options
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Caitian and Feresans are NOT THE SAME.
    That still doesn't change the fact that they were invented for KDF as their own version of the Caitain, a similar thing can be done with the Gorn.

• Options
    Feds also get Trill... host and non-host varieties. You just have to pay to unlock the Joined Trill. Just like with the Caitians (Fed) and Ferasans (KDF).

Caitian = Kzinti
    Ferasan = Lyran

For the sake of argument. They were both in existence long before STO.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    The point I am trying to make is that the Trill and Caitian were mainly Federation species and in the game the KDF also get them in some way, but the only KDF based species the Federation gets is the Klingon's.
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    The ONLY reason Joined Trill even exist as an option for the KDF is because they were originally a special pre-order exclusive.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    If we are going to have factions (which we have, bit late to change that fact) then there should be something to differentiate them -- esp as KDF doesn't have anywhere near as many species as the Feds.

I certainly don't see why the Gorn should be singled out. If we're going to go down this road then it should be x number of zen to unlock a species to play on any faction.
  • Options
    orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    Feds get quite enough as it is. They don't get our lizards too.
  • Options
    We are the Fed.
    Lower your shields and surrender your ships.
    We will assimilate anything you have that distinguishes you.
    Your faction will adapt to glorify us.
    Resistance is futile.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    I have always wanted to play as a Gorn in the Federation faction...

Wow, such a compelling argument to make them Fed. :smiley: REQUEST DENIED! >:)

• Options
    deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    humans don't deserve the gorn...after all it's YOU that make all those horrible puns.
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Pretending there are still factions in this game is ridiculous. I wouldn't necessarily make one but yes, Gorn for Feds, why not.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Everything should be available for everyone. All the unlocked species parts should also be available for custom aliens.

But no, I wouldn't want to make a Federation gorn, it's custom aliens only for me.
  • Options
    rangerryurangerryu Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    When I wanted to play as a Trill I made a Fed Trill. If someone wants to be a Gorn they should play as a KDF Gorn. There are no Federation aligned Gorns in Star Trek lore that I know of. Please correct me if I am wrong.

There's a Gorn captain of a Federation Starship from the 29th century in game but at that point both the Klingon Empire and the Romulan Republic have joined the Federation so......
  • Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    The presence or absence of a species in Starfleet in canon has little real meaning. Last I checked, there are no Pakled Starfleet Officers in canon.

Starfleet is shown to allow people from non-Federation worlds to join, and not all races are hive-minds without dissenters.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    soullessraptorsoullessraptor Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    It would be interesting to see dissenting groups, or, as a potential game-related unlock, have them join after you complete, say....The Iconian War arc, after the hostilities have been formally ended.
  • Options
    ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    No leave the Gorn as KDF, if you want to play as one go play KDF.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    tyler002 wrote: »
    The presence or absence of a species in Starfleet in canon has little real meaning. Last I checked, there are no Pakled Starfleet Officers in canon.

Since STO is set after all canon, the intermediate timeline has been filled by STO canon ("The Road to 2409"). And Gorn joined the KDF there. It didn't need to be like that but now it is.

A couple of races, IIRC Pakled and Rigelian, have still been described by the devs as mistakes to include (but that ship had sailed before Cryptic came to the rescue). But not huge enough to just throw them out, and definitely not enough to warrant other similar mistakes (from a lore point of view).
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
This discussion has been closed.