test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Made STO Work on a MAC (Clunky)

So my Mac with bootcamp is in the shop with a broken LED display. Since I am addicted to STO and last weekend was dilithium weekend, I wanted to get STO working on my other MAC without bootcamp or any other parallels. I managed to get it to work, but there are some pretty big drawbacks that may be fixed if more people use the app that I was using. Here how I did it.
Download NVIDIA GeForce NOW.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/geforce-now/mac-pc/
You need a steam account.
After installing NVIDIA Ge Force open the app.
You will need to create a log in. I did mine with Facebook.
In the up right hand corner is your log in ID and a drop down. Go to Manage Steam.
You have to log into steam do a search in the store for Star Trek Online.
Download the Application and launch. It will do the full patch everytime but it goes pretty fast like 15 minutes ish fast sorry.
Open the app and Craptic will send you the new computer log in code that you will need to plug in.
STO will load and you are set.
Pros: Free to play on the MAC no money required. (I paid $100 for my Windows 8 license for boot camp.) No Need to double Boot Key Binds and everything else comes across You are basically using a High Gaming Computer in the Cloud so the graphics are pretty good.
Cons: You need a pretty awesome internet connection. (I have 100 MBs Comcast Connection) It needs to do the full patch and security thing every time. UGH!! (The more people who do this the more likely that Nvidia will support STO natively like Elite Dangerous) Gets a little wonky on high action type of stuff. I was surfing in the new colony holding and things got a little clunky and faded.
I felt pretty good about myself getting it to work but I would probably still use bootcamp once my higher end MAC comes by from Apple repair.

Comments

• Options
    usskentuckyusskentucky Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    Who is Mac?
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Thanks for this news. I've been playing STO on a Mac since 2011 (all settings maxed, 2560x1600).

What is the year and model of your Mac? What video card do you have?

Not being a Steam user, is it taking the place of Play on Mac or Wine? You mentioned the Cloud.

Edit: read your nvidea link. This is new! Also saw it lists supported models. Still love to know what Mac you have it working on in case there's room to fudge things a bit :smile:
  • Options
    asches1asches1 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    Dude, I am on it! Trying it right now! Will tell you how it goes. If this works, you're the next "doh123"
    Everybody looks right, but you pass left...
  • Options
    asches1asches1 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    My friend, you made it work! Can play STO now on a Mac on full settings. Cool! Thanks a million!
    Everybody looks right, but you pass left...