test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fan Fiction: T'Pela - Chapter Three

artgravityartgravity Member Posts: 18 Arc User
Chapters One and Two can be found in the following thread: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1221993/fan-fiction-tpela-chapters-one-two

T'Pela: Chapter Three – A Time to Love and a Time to Hate

Notes to Readers:

This story is written in the universe of Star Trek Online. It will reference several things from the game as well as the multiple Star Trek series. If you have not played the game then this is a spoiler alert.

This writing will describe some events from the game so that those not familiar with the game may not be totally lost.

Captain's Log (append date) Seal for Temporal Operatives Only.

The Odyssey class starship: I remember when the Constitution Refit was in the designing stages, and while I thought that was a big ship, it is nothing in comparison to the Odyssey. My first officer, Tarsi, after giving her a good look said, “All I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by.”

Captain Chayton has invited me on board for a tour. I look forward to seeing what this ship looks like. However, I get the feeling that he has other intentions for our conversation.

Several times now I have had captains of different ships come up to me and begin conversations seeking an intimate relationship. I have been quite flattered, and have responded politely and firmly that I am not interested. They seem to be quite intent sometimes.

We are at war; a war of epic proportions. We fight, not on one or two fronts, but on at least five that I am aware of. Enemies are everywhere. Now is not the time to begin relationships that will only end in sadness.

Once I am sure that repairs to the Antillies are underway, I will beam over to the Eagle. I will have to try to explain to Captain Chayton that a relationship is not possible at this time, even though I find him attractive.

-

T'Pela stepped out of her ready room and onto the bridge, “Tarsi, damage report.”

Tarsi, who had been lying on the floor of the bridge, repairing the blown out Tactical console, spoke up without getting up, “Captain, it may take us a bit longer than the hour we had said. We took a lot of hits.”

T'Pela nodded, “Do we have transporters?”

Tarsi turned to Mitti, and the Saurian responded, “We do ma'am. Most of our damage is to tactical systems.”

“Very well. I will go to Transporter Room One,” T'Pela stepped into the turbolift and made her way. When she entered the transporter room, she opened her communicator, “T'Pela to Eagle, standby for one to beam over.”

The voice of Captain Chayton responded over the comm, “At your convenience, Captain.”

T'Pela looked to her transporter officer, “Energize.”

T'Pela's atoms were separated and sent in a beam to the Eagle, there reassembled in the exact quantum state they had been in. She looked around to find the transporter officer standing at attention. T'Pela nods at him just as Chayton enters the room.

“It is good to meet you, Captain T'Pela.” Chayton raised his hand in the V-shape of the Vulcan salute, “Peace and long life.”

T'Pela's eyebrow raised slightly and a very small smile crossed her lips as she returned the salute, “Live long and prosper, Captain Chayton.”

Chayton smiled, “Call me William, please.” He moved toward her and extended his hand for a handshake. T'Pela accepted as he spoke, “T'Pela, I think we need to talk.”

T'Pela looked over at the transporter officer and lowered her voice for Chayton alone, “Captain, I don't think it would be appropriate...”

Chayton interrupted her, “T'Pela as much as I find you attractive, that is not what I need to talk to you about, please.” Chayton gestured to the door.

T'Pela found herself experiencing an emotion. She was nonplussed. She followed the Captain to a turbolift, then to the bridge. Her first reaction was to just take in the size, but as she looked around, she saw someone that absolutely shocked her.

Chayton, turned and saw T'Pela in a look that no Vulcan should show, that of pure shock. He leaned into her, “Captain T'Pela, would you come into my ready room.”

T'Pela followed him as they walked in and she looked at Chayton, “That was Tarsi. But that isn't possible. She is on my bridge, laying under the tactical console. What is going on?”

Chayton moved toward the replicator in the wall, “Computer: one chamomile tea and one coffee, double strong, double sweet.” The replicator produced the drinks in question, and Chayton offered the tea to T'Pela.

“And how do you know my beverage of choice Captain? What is going on?” T'Pela insisted.

“I know this all seems difficult to understand. I will do my best to explain. I wish the doctor was here, he is much better at this.”

“Doctor who?”

Chayton smiled, and began to pace as he spoke, “He only calls himself 'the Doctor' to me.” He took a sip of his drink, “I happen to know you are a Temporal Agent. I am as well. So, let's start at the beginning. Do you remember the battle of Caleb IV?”

T'Pela sat down on the couch, crossed her legs, and thought for a moment, taking a sip of her tea. “The battle of Caleb IV was a massacre. It was at that time that the Federation learned of the acquisition of cloaking devices by the Klingons. One ship was sacrificed so the rest could survive. I should know. It was the U.S.S. Surak. I was her captain. A temporal operative named Daniels brought us to this time period.”

“You are absolutely right, T'Pela, except for one detail. It wasn't just the U.S.S. Surak.”

“That's impossible. I was there. We held the line until the other ships could escape. No other ships were sacrificed.”

“This is true. But you weren't the only captain and crew who has had that exact same experience. I was the captain of the U.S.S. Spartan. We were at the battle of Caleb IV. And we were the last ship standing, holding the line, as the Admiral and the other ships escaped. You and I, and at least a half dozen other captains I've met have had that exact same experience.”

“But that is impossible,” T'Pela replied, setting down her tea, “How can each of us have had the same experiences? And how can there be two Tarsis...”

As T'Pela's voice drifted off, Chayton could see her mind working, “The doctor explained it to me this way. We are in the midst of a temporal cold war. Except, he has discovered that is isn't as cold as some people believe. There is a faction going back in time to stop Daniels from bringing each of us to this present. They are doing this by changing some choice each of us made so that we would become Starfleet captains.

“So this is what happens,” and with each point he ticked off a finger, “A: You decide to join Starfleet and become a Captain. You are instrumental in the battle of Caleb IV, and thus Daniels brings you and your crew to this time period. B: At some future point in time, you are again instrumental in changing galactic events, causing the enemy faction to want you out of the way. C: The enemy faction goes back in time and changes history, causing you to decide not to join Starfleet. D: This has the effect of someone else being captain of the ship that saves the day at Caleb IV. E: That captain and their crews, including Tarsi and a few others, are brought forward by Daniels to this time period.”

T'Pela sat for a moment, “But if they had me make a different choice in the past, how am I still here.”

“I asked the doctor the same thing. And he looked at me and told me that I was thinking fourth dimensionally.” Chayton took another sip of his coffee, “While the enemy faction is being successful, it is only half of the situation. They would never have gone back in time to change our minds if we were not here. Because of the polarizing nature of each of our choices to join Starfleet, it creates a parallel universe; one in which we choose to join, one in which we do not, but someone else does in our place.”

T'Pela continued, “And we remain here, with our bridge crews, because if we weren't here no one would go back in time to look for us,” she paused, thinking deeply, “Doesn't the enemy faction realize that they are only making the situation worse for themselves?”

“Apparently not, because more and more temporal agents are being discovered every day,” Chayton finally sat down behind his desk, taking a long drink from his coffee mug, and shaking his head “I've never completely understood four dimensional temporal mechanics, much less what the doctor has tried to explain to me. I am simply repeating it as best as I can.”

“I'd like to meet this doctor of yours,” T'Pela replied.

“You will. That is something else we need to discuss,” Chayton finished his drink and moved to sit next to T'Pela on the couch, a proper distance between them, “This is the first time you've met me, is that correct?”

T'Pela nodded, “Yes, it is.”

Chayton nodded as well, “But this is the second time I've met you.”

T'Pela blinked, “Let me guess, more time travel.”

“That's right. And when you meet me for the first time, the doctor will be there. And the three of us will have a long discussion. The two of you will explain to me what I just explained to you,” Chayton sighed, “Predestination paradox.”

T'Pela took the last sip of her tea, “I understand that much at least. The predestination paradox is a single dimension time loop.”

After a long pause, Chayton took a deep breath and blushed slightly, “T'Pela, I want you to know, and perhaps you already do, that I find you attractive. You told me a lot about yourself when we met before, trying to explain why we shouldn't be together. And I understand and respect your wishes. But that doesn't change that my instinct is to care about you deeply. I am here for you, if you ever need anything, whether it be a friend or more.”

T'Pela stared into Chayton's eyes, realizing that the emotional part of her wanted desperately to fall into this man's arms, allowing her to feel and fall apart. The Vulcan part of her stopped her, knowing that any kind of relationship would be difficult, if not impossible.

T'Pela started to open her mouth, when Chayton spoke instead, “I know. You're not interested or able to have a relationship like I would like at this time. It is not logically possible,” Chayton smiled, “But I can dream can't I?”

Chayton stood and walked to the door of his ready room, “'There is a time for love and a time for hate. There is a time for war and a time for peace.' I believe we will find our time, T'Pela. Until then,” and Chayton gestured as the door opened to his bridge, “we both have ships to run.”

T'Pela found herself amazed by this man. She admitted to herself that she wanted to get to know him better. Apparently, she would. She stood, moved to the door, and stopped next to him and whispered, “'A time for every activity under the heavens', Ecclesiastes, chapter 3, the Bible,” and headed to the transporter pad at the back of the bridge.

Chayton stepped out and smiled from ear to ear as T'Pela took out her communicator, “Antillies, one to beam over.”

Comments

• Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    Okay, I like how you are incorporating the reality of the MMO gameplay in your explanation of time travel to show that many, many people are undergoing the same experiences and how there could be multiple Tarsi's running around in the 25th century. The idea that the Na'Khul are unwittingly contributing to this is very clever.

It does start to fall apart after awhile, of course, since from a storyline perspective we can't all be involved in all of the same world-changing events. It doesn't make sense for so many different captains to face the same Undine spy at P'Jem in the *same* timeline, for example.

But for the 23rd century Captains' transition into the 25th century, it does work.

Even if Daniels should know better than to collect captains from so many different timelines into the same one. ;)

My personal head canon puts each of my characters into their own unique timeline... which to me explains why they never ever meet face to face and the different experiences of my legacy characters vs my Delta characters vs my Temporal agent characters. But it doesn't account for the other players' experiences, which is why I appreciate that acknowledgement that they're out there... somehow.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • Options
    artgravityartgravity Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    I thought it would be an interesting twist. I have a couple of local friends, one of which is not playing STO, and she reads my work. She tried reading this chapter before coffee. She didn't do so well. :smiley:
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Seconding @stobg2015 - alternate timelines for multiple characters showing up at the same place is an interesting way to bring lots of characters in.

Though it could get confusing (especially if things played out more or less the same with different captains being interchangeable. Gotta be a little depressing)
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!