test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Infinity R&D Promotion Feedback

I like the promotions that STO does. They are mostly pretty cool and seem to always have some decent rewards. But what I don't like is when you do a fairly big promo, like this one with the R&D packs, were your giving out ships. But then you go make it really difficult to get a ship, not so cool. Look maybe I'm dumb for spending the $, its debatable of course, but I dropped down $60 on R&D packs. That amounted to 24 packs. And I got zilch, nada, nothing. Sure I got some lobi crystals, not many but some, and materials. But Not one sniff at a ship. I understand your trying to make money with the stuff, but come on, 24 packs and not one ship. You got to do better for us fans than that. I have no problems buying stuff to help support continued content. But if your going to take all of our money make the odds better for us to get some good loot/prizes. Otherwise just post those ships in the C-Store and let us buy them . Looking back I would rather have bought a T-6 Constitution class than spend the money on those R&D packs to try to get one.

Hey I still love the game. I've invested quite a bit time and $ in the game. Just hope that you make the next promo a bit easier so we don't have to drop so much $ to get nothing.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    We try to tell people this over and over again, but new players don't know to ask first and so learn it the hard way.

The odds of getting a lock box ship are 1 in 250, the odds of getting an R&D pack ship are 1 in 100. Even if you open 250 or 100 boxes/packs, there is a very good chance (roughly 1 in 3) that you will still get no ship at all.

The way to get a ship with 100% success:
    - Buy keys or the special promo R&D packs (NOT plain R&D packs!)
    - Sell them on the Exchange for credits
    - Buy ship on the Exchange for credits

If you open packs in any amount less than thousands of them you are gambling pure and simple. That's fine if you need lobi or want everything else in the lock box or R&D pack. Otherwise, don't gamble.
    Post edited by davefenestrator on
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    If you want one of the promo ships badly enough you will get one.

Druk just promised to get me a T6 Consitution-class starship from the R&D Packs!!! Yay!! Thank you, Drunk! You can send it to me via the in-game email. ;):p
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I grinded for my two annorax's, I'm sure you can grind for a promo ship too.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    If you only care about the ship (not lobi or etc) then yeah, sell keys/r&d on Exchange then buy ship. It's the only logical thing to do. ;) Let the very lucky and/or the extremely rich open the thousands of boxes needed to supply the Exchange.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I would check tomorrow's Patch Notes folks. The R&D Promotional Ship Choice Pack is being made Bind on Pickup. You'll have to make a choice if you want to sell a Ship from that pack now.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    OP is unhappy about opening 24 packs. My man, let me tell you that we have seen threads in which people opened over 200 packs and got no ship. 24 is nothing to complain about.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    OP is unhappy about opening 24 packs. My man, let me tell you that we have seen threads in which people opened over 200 packs and got no ship. 24 is nothing to complain about.

Yup, I open 10-20 lock boxes each time a new one comes out. I've never gotten a ship and been playing since before lock boxes existed.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    velqua wrote: »
    Druk just promised to get me a T6 Consitution-class starship from the R&D Packs!!! Yay!! Thank you, Drunk! You can send it to me via the in-game email. ;):p

Here we see the gulf between wanting, and wanting enough. It is wide.
    You can win a promo ship from opening just one pack!

It usually takes me three packs. Not kidding.

• jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    You can win a promo ship from opening just one pack!

Some people have them rain down upon them....saw the same player get two Infinity Choice packs seven minutes apart (on XBONE). I'll have to check my activity feed but I think I got a screenshot of the chat window. Most likely there is a trick to it, wish I knew what it was. I did win a JJPrize and a Quas from lockboxes in the past, but it seems to me that unless the secondary rewards are worth it it's just like peeing down a rathole. If I buy keys again, it will probably be to open some of my stash of Kelvin TL boxes for the upgrades and weapon packs.
  • gaevsprivsmangaevsprivsman Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    I buy those packs only for the lobi... they always give more lobi than the lockbox, if i get a ship, cool, but i'm after lobi.. (got 2 ships actually)