test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will This Game Actually Change For The Better In Summer 2018?

My initial experience with Star Trek Online was great, I enjoyed the space gameplay and even the ground gameplay to a certain extent, it did get frustrating when I lost a lot due to the difficulty. All I ever did was play missions on elite and I never finished the storyline, this game offers no challenge at all if it isn't on elite. I have edited my build with no results, never installed the DPS app. I have tried to emulate some builds on reddit, feel like I have wasted a lot of resources. I do have fond memories with this game which is why I don't think I can ever sell my account, even if I have mostly quit STO.

The Summer expansion will simply add more grinds, some Dominion rep to get, not that there is a problem with that but outside of new missions, new ships, new weapons, more grinds, more pve, it's all they will ever add. Will they ever focus on the underlying issues with the game? Like the Engine, it's old and outdated, the PVP isn't balanced and highly neglected. PVE content can only keep me going for so long, while I enjoy it, this game will simply be one I complete all the content and never play again. There is nothing enticing to keep me staying if the PVP isn't well developed.

So it will degrade into repeating the same STF over and over, the yearly grind , all the same stuff, nothing will change. This will be like a single player game for me. I feel like I am just trying to justify all the money I spent on star trek online. No variety, while other STF's are neglected, most people just wanna play the fastest one to get the reward.

I have played around 995 hours total.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/9900/Star_Trek_Online/

The Perfect world market model has ruined any potential for something new in this game. They won't offer rewards for pvp, they removed exploration missions, I really enjoyed those, that is the essence of star trek, exploring the unknown.

I don't think anything will change, Star Trek fans are among the most fanatic and many will keep pouring their money into this game.

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    Monthly subscriptions as primary revenue source have been abandoned by almost all MMOs because they failed to generate enough revenue to keep the lights on. Like selling website access instead of displaying ads. Sorry, the game players of the world chose the PWE revenue model over yours.

Reviews for most games are mixed, and some of the negative reviews are from people trying to change the game to suit their taste. Which is fine, but their taste won't pay the bills.

PVP has its tiny niche of fans, but most players want mostly-solo PVE instead, and most prefer new story episodes and "grind" to PVP. Again, PWE listening to you would just hurt revenue.

It sounds like STO might not be the right game for you. Nothing wrong with that, people should play to have fun. Have you tried Eve?
  • keladorkelador Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    A very very small number of STO players use steam so steam stats really should never be quoted in fact the thread may get closed as the sticky on this forums covers the FAQ and asks that people stop posting threads that use steam stats as a source.

But back on topic the game will be the same in 1 years time as it is right now just with another rep or two and a bunch of new lock boxes.

PVP has always been a niche in STO very small group of players and to invest any real time into developing that area of the game is not a wise investment and thats Cryptics stance on it.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User

http://steamcharts.com/app/9900 The population has stabilized, no significant drops or gains every month. Don't think there will be any incentive for devs to take risks to create something better.

That only applies to players who launches the game from Steam so the "stabilized" population only applies to Steam.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    Wait a minute. You deliberately chose the hardest possible way to play the game, deliberately gimped yourself by not playing the storyline (the only practical way to get enough XP to advance, and a good way to get gear drops as well), deliberately did everything within your power to make your in-game experience as miserable as possible - and it's Cryptic's fault that you didn't have fun?

Look, kid, if you're looking for the ultimate tryhard epeen experience, EvE is over thataway. You're never going to enjoy this game, because it's never going to cater to the playstyle you crave (where everything is Nintendo Hard, but you can Pay-To-Win by purchasing the gear that'll give you the edge you want).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • reemus#2383 reemus Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    Monthly subscriptions as primary revenue source have been abandoned by almost all MMOs because they failed to generate enough revenue to keep the lights on. Like selling website access instead of displaying ads. Sorry, the game players of the world chose the PWE revenue model over yours.

Reviews for most games are mixed, and some of the negative reviews are from people trying to change the game to suit their taste. Which is fine, but their taste won't pay the bills.

PVP has its tiny niche of fans, but most players want mostly-solo PVE instead, and most prefer new story episodes and "grind" to PVP. Again, PWE listening to you would just hurt revenue.

It sounds like STO might not be the right game for you. Nothing wrong with that, people should play to have fun. Have you tried Eve?
    Been on EVE 10+ years.... If the issues that bother the OP in STO are enough to post about...EVE as a fresh new player will be traumatic for him/her. Although EVE has an excellent dev and support staff that is right on top of any issue, bug, exploit, etc..it is also a game of some of the most ruthless and unforgiving players... I compare EVE to walking down a dark alley in a bad neighborhood at night... for new players that is. However, EVE offers more of what the OP is looking for...and now that it went F2P... it can be "demo'd". I quadbox 4 accounts in 10yrs and still don't have all max skills in EVE...it is a very time consuming game but very deep...

End game content is probably the most difficult content to be innovative with... Since the goal of end game is mainly to "acquire" from the PVE standpoint...there is only so much you can do with content. I think STO has a good solid base for end game in that sense... compared to SWTOR which is so overly linear with end game. There you grind for months and months to get the top end gear that is the same for everyone (class-wise) and then when you are nearly burned out they add another 5 levels to the cap and new top end gear to do it all over with. The builds in the game have no real diversity..and neither does the content. Since CoH/CoV is long gone....I would say Champions or STO are as close as you are going to get right now to staying busy in the game.... EVE is on a whole other level.

I will add that there have been some great ideas from the players as far as new content for STO. I thought that a single player or 2-3 team style STF where you can use some of the ships in your admirality as part of your fleet is very promising. Much like the old Starfleet Command where you led your NPC fleet to larger objectives.... In STO I think this would be amazing as you could build your purchased ships and run on a tier system (a simple limit by tier of the ships to keep from overpowering the STF). This would open up a lot of other options and content as well...
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    My initial experience with Star Trek Online was great, I enjoyed the space gameplay and even the ground gameplay to a certain extent, it did get frustrating when I lost a lot due to the difficulty. All I ever did was play missions on elite and I never finished the storyline, this game offers no challenge at all if it isn't on elite. I have edited my build with no results, never installed the DPS app. I have tried to emulate some builds on reddit, feel like I have wasted a lot of resources. I do have fond memories with this game which is why I don't think I can ever sell my account, even if I have mostly quit STO.

The Summer expansion will simply add more grinds, some Dominion rep to get, not that there is a problem with that but outside of new missions, new ships, new weapons, more grinds, more pve, it's all they will ever add. Will they ever focus on the underlying issues with the game? Like the Engine, it's old and outdated, the PVP isn't balanced and highly neglected. PVE content can only keep me going for so long, while I enjoy it, this game will simply be one I complete all the content and never play again. There is nothing enticing to keep me staying if the PVP isn't well developed.

So it will degrade into repeating the same STF over and over, the yearly grind , all the same stuff, nothing will change. This will be like a single player game for me. I feel like I am just trying to justify all the money I spent on star trek online. No variety, while other STF's are neglected, most people just wanna play the fastest one to get the reward.

The Perfect world market model has ruined any potential for something new in this game. They won't offer rewards for pvp, they removed exploration missions, I really enjoyed those, that is the essence of star trek, exploring the unknown.

I don't think anything will change, Star Trek fans are among the most fanatic and many will keep pouring their money into this game.

I'm sorry if this comes off a little bit agressive or dismissive, but you have already made your mind up from the looks of it and with that said if you know nothing different is coming even with summer 2018, then why hang around?

Being a Star trek Fan doesn't mean you need to stick to STO like glue, there isn't anything saying you can't be a hardcore supporter of the series as a whole without having to go through STO each time just because it is there. Cryptic have their own designs for STO and all we can do is play what they designed for us to play.

i used to think like you did but i realised something, this game will only last so long before it will be shut down and never seen again and when i left in 2016 i was just plain angry and lost control for a moment in an "i quit thread", it took me a year to get over my own demons and it's related to how angry i was. These days i see STO differently, something to treasure for as long as it is there for it won't come back, enjoy it while you can.

Take a break for a few months and come back, see if it helps you out.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited November 2017

Unknown at this time. We can hope fore changes for the better. I do like the game. But with the current super easy mode trend that it's on. I'd get more challenge out of a facebook clicker game.

But if I had to hazard a guess. Cryptic will continue on the current trend of catering to the easy mode players, with a focus on more content where all you need it BFAW and the space bar.

But, as I said, this is all still an unknown. All that is confirmed is that we are getting Victory Is Life, outside of this, we have no information on any changes they may be planning with it.

Edit:
    Lets hope the forum don't eat my post for error fixing.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    I mostly see STO as a casual game that I like to play to relax after getting home from work, or during the weekend if I don't feel like going out. I am not too wrapped up in DPS so I never bothered to join a fleet... maybe someday I will. It's easy enough to play Advanced space queues and Elite ground queues without any fleet or even reputation gear. In fact, I started playing Elite Miner Instabilities with a relatively new max level character that I have not even bothered starting any of the reputation systems. Sure that character might die once or twice during the mission, but not more than twice as long as I stick to my strategy of using cover from time to time.

For a challenge, I play XCom 2 on commander difficulty. If I want a real challenge, then I will simply bump up the game to the next level, legend, where the game does not allow for any margin of error. Even the slightest error can cause the mission to fail and result in dead squad member which means training up raw recruits and having a weakened squad overall.
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    I mostly see STO as a casual game that I like to play to relax after getting home from work, or during the weekend if I don't feel like going out. I am not too wrapped up in DPS so I never bothered to join a fleet... maybe someday I will. It's easy enough to play Advanced space queues and Elite ground queues without any fleet or even reputation gear. In fact, I started playing Elite Miner Instabilities with a relatively new max level character that I have not even bothered starting any of the reputation systems. Sure that character might die once or twice during the mission, but not more than twice as long as I stick to my strategy of using cover from time to time.

For a challenge, I play XCom 2 on commander difficulty. If I want a real challenge, then I will simply bump up the game to the next level, legend, where the game does not allow for any margin of error. Even the slightest error can cause the mission to fail and result in dead squad member which means training up raw recruits and having a weakened squad overall.

You can do that here with the episodes. Should be a selection in your options, Normal, Hard, and Elite.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »

You can do that here with the episodes. Should be a selection in your options, Normal, Hard, and Elite.
    I found the episode difficulty setting to be completely useless. Since you can't actually fail them and dying means nothing, the battles are not actually any harder, just longer.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    I thought doom threads (because that's a doom thread) were against the rules?
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    I thought doom threads (because that's a doom thread) were against the rules?

Not really. The OP asked a question in the title. Then expressed his/her thoughts about. It basically states that the answer the OP believes for the question is "No, nothing with change."

So this is more of a speculation thread, looking to see what thoughts people may have for the up coming expansion.

A doom thread consists of stating this or that will be the death of the game. No one here has mentioned that.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    warpangel wrote: »
    I found the episode difficulty setting to be completely useless. Since you can't actually fail them and dying means nothing, the battles are not actually any harder, just longer.

If you want to play an MMO that really encourages players to go out, take the risk and actually feel the consequences, you should try EVE Online. It can be really fun once you get the basics down, and you can play it for free too (with harsh restrictions that have been slightly changed for the better last month).

Just keep in mind that you're never going to keep the ship you're flying, and don't fly what you can't afford to lose. And don't cry, so gankers and pirates can't enjoy your tears.

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »

If you want to play an MMO that really encourages players to go out, take the risk and actually feel the consequences, you should try EVE Online. It can be really fun once you get the basics down, and you can play it for free too (with harsh restrictions that have been slightly changed for the better last month).

Just keep in mind that you're never going to keep the ship you're flying, and don't fly what you can't afford to lose. And don't cry, so gankers and pirates can't enjoy your tears.
    Nothing I've heard of Eve has been the slightest bit appealing. The unavoidable PvP in particular is a total deal-breaker, even more than the losing ships.

What's the point?

The rewards are the same. There are no fail conditions. As long as you have enough DPS there is no thinking involved. Dying has no consequences. How well or poorly you completed the previous mission has no effect on the next mission.

What's the point?

The rewards are the same. There are no fail conditions. As long as you have enough DPS there is no thinking involved. Dying has no consequences. How well or poorly you completed the previous mission has no effect on the next mission.

I didn't say there was a point to it. Just that you could.

The only real difference is, you might get some better drops. That's about it. But, considering the craptastic RNG that is used for the game. That likelihood sucks just as much as trying to get a UR or Epic token from a Phoenix Box.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User

Unless you RP those consequences. Ie. if a boff goes down, you don't revive them (or rally them to a corner if they're brought back by a map transition or ally), and subsequently dismiss between episodes. You can also choose to discard the reward based on team deaths during the mission (making that your fail condition.) If you or your ship explodes, you delete your own character.

The point here is that while none of this is baked into the game (as a setting), it's possible for someone to make STO more difficult for themselves through any number of self imposed rules. They don't have to min-max their build to the point where they've essentially set the difficulty to "Wesley Crusher's Starfleet entrance exam." If they want a hardcore challenge (in this nice, relaxed game) then it's up to them to find it (with a little creativity and initiative as people have done for, say, the Pokemon or the Elder's Scroll games.)

One might say "well, why don't the developers do it?" but that does gloss over STO's remarkable versatility (including making your own nightmare difficulty episodes in the Foundry with hard-fail conditions). If any major changes are made, then it would probably be best (in playing to a strength, rather than making sequential partial compromises to distinct niches) to add to that versatility somehow (which would probably take a different discussion to ferret out.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!

Unless you RP those consequences. Ie. if a boff goes down, you don't revive them (or rally them to a corner if they're brought back by a map transition or ally), and subsequently dismiss between episodes. You can also choose to discard the reward based on team deaths during the mission (making that your fail condition.) If you or your ship explodes, you delete your own character.

The point here is that while none of this is baked into the game (as a setting), it's possible for someone to make STO more difficult for themselves through any number of self imposed rules. They don't have to min-max their build to the point where they've essentially set the difficulty to "Wesley Crusher's Starfleet entrance exam." If they want a hardcore challenge (in this nice, relaxed game) then it's up to them to find it (with a little creativity and initiative as people have done for, say, the Pokemon or the Elder's Scroll games.)

One might say "well, why don't the developers do it?" but that does gloss over STO's remarkable versatility (including making your own nightmare difficulty episodes in the Foundry with hard-fail conditions). If any major changes are made, then it would probably be best (in playing to a strength, rather than making sequential partial compromises to distinct niches) to add to that versatility somehow (which would probably take a different discussion to ferret out.)

I've tried this in the foundry. The only way I found to make a "fail" condition for any combat portion of one, is to just not set any respawn points. Thus, meaning the only respawn point is the beam in area for that map.

Now you can set fail conditions for the story side of it. Especially in dialogues.

Now if I could set time limits and number of deaths per map as a fail condition. I would surely do so. Or if I could set it to where the map resets upon a death.

But as it is, the only real fail condition one can use in the foundry, is to make fail options in the story. Choose the wrong option, fail that attempt. Then have to leave the mission and re-enter to try again.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    edited November 2017

I've tried this in the foundry. The only way I found to make a "fail" condition for any combat portion of one, is to just not set any respawn points. Thus, meaning the only respawn point is the beam in area for that map.

Now you can set fail conditions for the story side of it. Especially in dialogues.

Now if I could set time limits and number of deaths per map as a fail condition. I would surely do so. Or if I could set it to where the map resets upon a death.

But as it is, the only real fail condition one can use in the foundry, is to make fail options in the story. Choose the wrong option, fail that attempt. Then have to leave the mission and re-enter to try again.

That's not entirely true. What you can also do is use triggers to spawn walls and other obstacles that block progression based on non-story triggers. For example: on the death of an NPC group that you're supposed to sneak around. You could even go so far as a timed section by playing enemy NPC's in a box outside the map area along with something that'll kill them over time (Ex. an EV suit volume or stronger allied NPC's.) This can be calibrated by changing the rank of the squad and by opting for the slower EV volume or the more rapid fight between NPC's. Once the target group is dead, progression becomes impossible. There's more you can do to make missions challenging for other players (ex. fallible puzzles) but for a player looking to make STO more difficult for themselves then they'll be looking for more performance based challenges (though that can still involve non combat objectives. Ex. kill this group and hit these switches before time runs out.)

To the general point though of making the game more challenging (fail conditions are only one example), you can also just spawn more high ranking enemies than STO missions tend to and structure combat in a way that puts them at more of a disadvantage (ex. starting flanked.)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!

I already place limitations on all my characters.

1. No fleet gear.
    2. No reputation gear.
    3. No allocation of Specialization Points.

Considering both time and money invested into each character I am not about to delete a character just for RP purposes. If you wish to delete character where you purchased 300 Doff slots, 120 personal / 120 inventory slots, 6 ship slots, 5 dry dock slots, and 4 Boff slots, then be my guest.

STO is merely a casual game to me. That does not mean it is a bad game, but if want to play something that is actually challenging to me then it is XCom.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    If you want a challenge, then complete Ragnarok in your starter ship.

Considering both time and money invested into each character I am not about to delete a character just for RP purposes. If you wish to delete character where you purchased 300 Doff slots, 120 personal / 120 inventory slots, 6 ship slots, 5 dry dock slots, and 4 Boff slots, then be my guest.

How does an illustrative point about how flexible STO *can* be become a point I'm supposedly arguing for? If I say "hey guys, did you know you could create a crew named after parts of the human respiratory system" (that's how versatile STO can be in the extreme) am I going to have to start qualifying that with a redundant "well, naturally you don't have to do this."

Can =/= should. Sorry for the confusion, but I really didn't think I'd have to talk people down from an earnest fear that character permadeath was being pushed on them in some way (twice now, thanks to what appeared to be a reaction thread to this conversation.) I'll be sure to explicitly say "for argument's sake" in future (and I mean that genuinely.)
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    It is really fascinating how well this game felt recovered from Delta Rising by S12. Then the nerfs of S13 hit and now we get a 70 mil Dil fleet holding with some niche gear at best in S14.

A grind for nothing! YEAY.

I’m at a point where I think the game can only get better because I doubt it would survive any worse.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    STO is merely a casual game to me. That does not mean it is a bad game, but if want to play something that is actually challenging to me then it is XCom.
    I enjoy latching onto non-standard ideas and builds.

Lately, I've been working on a ship using missiles and Projectile DOffs to lower my tricobalt's cooldown (thanks to the recent change to Projectile DOff response times). Granted, when I launch the Tricobalt Hvy III it is often detonated by FAW spam, resulting in my death, but it's glorious none the less.

I tend to get bored when I don't have a goal to work towards on my characters. Fleet holdings don't really inspire me. There is nothing in the new Dranur Colony that I want or need, nothing that says "that might be fun to try out".